Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 24, 2023 02:58

VoodooLounge13
For me Goats is the 3rd best album in their catalog. I’ve always loved and it only grew with the release of the Super Deluxe and those Glyn Johns remixed songs.

And leaving some of us wanting more.

Re: Goat's Head Soup revisited, ranked & rated
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: May 24, 2023 13:43

mkbbcmr
Inspired by the Track Talk discussing "100 Years Ago" and the wildly controversial evaluations of "Goat's Head Soup" therein (from "work of genius" to "worst Stones album ever") I revisited this often underrated LP for the umpteenth time over the last few days. True, it was a bit of a disappointment (to put it mildly) when it first came out in 1973 but then any album following "Exile" would have been. It has grown in stature ever since, though, thanks to a bunch of brilliant tracks that clearly have stood the test of time as far as I am concerned: ranked and rated...

That makes "Goat's Head Soup" my 10th favourite Stones album out of their 23 official UK studio albums so far.

1. Winter * * * * *
2. 100 Years Ago * * * * *
3. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) * * * * *
4. Coming Down Again * * * * *
5. Angie * * * * *
6. Dancing With Mr. D * * * *
7. Silver Train * * * *
8. Star Star * * * *

9. Hide Your Love *
10. Can You Hear The Music *

Numbers 1-8 is just what time of day, week, month, year I’m thinking about it….spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I do not know exactly what place I would put this album, little higher than 10 I think smiling bouncing smiley
Just a very very great album to me! Number 9 in my list I do like a little bit more on the 2020 Deluxe bonus tracks CD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-24 13:45 by Christiaan.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: May 24, 2023 16:05

"Hide Your Love" * ? You must be joking.

Fantastic track and the only one on "Goat's Head Soup" with an "Exile" vibe, songwise as well as productionwise. Would fit in perfectly between "Turd On The Run" and "Ventilator Blues" - rough and ready.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 24, 2023 17:40

Separately, Criss Cross, Waiting on a Friend, Travelin Man, were all apparently not considered for the album except Criss Cross

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 24, 2023 18:09

Taylor1
Separately, Criss Cross, Waiting on a Friend, Travelin Man, were all apparently not considered for the album except Criss Cross

Isn't "Travelin Man" (the song, not me) from the Sticky Fingers sessions?

I thought Waiting on a Friend was considered when it was being recorded. I think they just had too many ballads after the Exile rock n roll romp.

Date: May 24, 2023 19:24

mkbbcmr

Fantastic track and the only one on "Goat's Head Soup" with an "Exile" vibe, songwise as well as productionwise. Would fit in perfectly between "Turd On The Run" and "Ventilator Blues" - rough and ready.

Well, that’s your opinion, you’re free to have it. As I’m free to have mine. Taste is not a thing you can debate on. It’s personal. smiling smiley

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: May 24, 2023 19:32

HMS
Hummm... never cared too much for this. Most part of the album is boring, a few songs are quite good but offer nothing remarkable new, Stones-by-numbers & Chuck-Berry-routine, sometimes done in a quite enjoyable way, but nothing really exciting. Listening to this album I always have a "The Stones imitating the Stones"-feeling. A big yawn is always underway.

Dancing with Mr. D----------- very bad start for the album. Never liked this song.
100 Years Ago----starts nice but soon becomes very boring.
Coming Down Again----pretty much like 100 years, nice start but going nowhere....but less boring than 100 Years.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)----partly striking, partly very odd.
Angie---- horrible, honestly I never liked it.
Silver Train---funny, but...
Hide Your Love---- the number I like the best.
Winter---- boring, boring, boring, boring.
Can You Hear the Music----sounds like psychodelic leftover from TSMR-period, cant stand it. Not only weird-sounding but boring too.
Star Star---- quite all right, the Stones in Chuck-Berry-mood. But somehow it does not sparkle the way it should have.

Even the Stones cannot deliver masterpieces all the time. After a handful really great albums, this one almost totally fails, imo. Very few highlights on this one, I wouldnt say it sucks completely, but overall it´s damn boring to my ears. The only tracks I would pick for a compilation are Hide Your Love and Star Star.

Truly remarkable comments. Winter boring, boring,Really??? One of their best 70s tracks in my opinion. And to call Angie a horrible song is beyond me. Goat's Head is easily in my top 5 Stones albums.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 24, 2023 20:49

Remember those are the thoughts of the infamous HMS, who, if I recall correctly, was a major fan of Dirty Work...

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 25, 2023 00:19

peoplewitheyes
Remember those are the thoughts of the infamous HMS, who, if I recall correctly, was a major fan of Dirty Work...
it is possible to really like both records

Date: May 25, 2023 02:21

TravelinMan
Taylor1

Isn't "Travelin Man" (the song, not me) from the Sticky Fingers sessions?

I thought Waiting on a Friend was considered when it was being recorded. I think they just had too many ballads after the Exile rock n roll romp.
Yes ,I believe Travelin Man was from the Sticky Fingers sessions.But itwas not used so it could have been worked on forGHS, like Loving Cup was written in 1969 but used on Exile

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 25, 2023 06:02

mkbbcmr

Agreed! It would've fit in on Exile.

Date: May 25, 2023 09:06

Christiaan
mkbbcmr
Inspired by the Track Talk discussing "100 Years Ago" and the wildly controversial evaluations of "Goat's Head Soup" therein (from "work of genius" to "worst Stones album ever") I revisited this often underrated LP for the umpteenth time over the last few days. True, it was a bit of a disappointment (to put it mildly) when it first came out in 1973 but then any album following "Exile" would have been. It has grown in stature ever since, though, thanks to a bunch of brilliant tracks that clearly have stood the test of time as far as I am concerned: ranked and rated...

That makes "Goat's Head Soup" my 10th favourite Stones album out of their 23 official UK studio albums so far.

1. Winter * * * * *
5. Angie * * * * *
7. Silver Train * * * *
8. Star Star * * * *

9. Hide Your Love *

Numbers 1-8 is just what time of day, week, month, year I’m thinking about it….spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I do not know exactly what place I would put this album, little higher than 10 I think smiling bouncing smiley
Just a very very great album to me! Number 9 in my list I do like a little bit more on the 2020 Deluxe bonus tracks CD.

I think you're missing out on Hide Your Love and Can You Hear The Music, more so the latter - it's different, so that is an issue. Because it's beyond "normal" Stones.

Just listen. There's beauty in what tunes don't "sound like" the Stones.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 25, 2023 11:12

GasLightStreet
Christiaan
mkbbcmr

1. Winter * * * * *
5. Angie * * * * *
7. Silver Train * * * *
8. Star Star * * * *

9. Hide Your Love *

I think you're missing out on Hide Your Love and Can You Hear The Music, more so the latter - it's different, so that is an issue. Because it's beyond "normal" Stones.

Just don't tell me that Glyn Johns mix of Can You Hear The Music have Van Morrison's mood and flavor winking smiley

Date: May 25, 2023 14:46

GasLightStreet

No I’m not missing it, I hear the sounds, just don’t like the songs thumbs downsmoking smiley
You may have your opinion, i have mine. I just agree on not agreeing thumbs upcool smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: May 25, 2023 15:56

I don't really like 'Can you Hear the Music" either. And I do like other stuff like Cherry Oh baby, Far Away Eyes and even Continental Drift that are beyond normal Stones. I also dislike FingerPrint File from IORR. Just not my type a song...

Hide your Love on GHS is a bit sloppy. The alternative take on the bonus disc is fantastic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-25 15:59 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 25, 2023 17:07

ironbelly
GasLightStreet
Christiaan
mkbbcmr

1. Winter * * * * *
5. Angie * * * * *
7. Silver Train * * * *
8. Star Star * * * *

9. Hide Your Love *

Just don't tell me that Glyn Johns mix of Can You Hear The Music have Van Morrison's mood and flavor winking smiley

Not sure about that, but the G Johns mix caused me to appreciate the song more than I ever did before.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 28, 2023 19:48

To each their own, of course, but even as a 13 yr old when the album came out, I thought Winter was lame filler and Can You Hear The Music seemed like something they recorded and thru onto the record when it was not flushed out. At 63, it still sounds like lame filler. Can You Hear The Music, is easy to skip on CD or streaming and I usually do. The rest of it is brilliant but it seems less together they the 4 golden age albums. Though Exile's recording was by all accounts sloppy and disjointed, the album came together perfectly and seems a unified effort...even little ditties like Just Wanna See His Face. Goat's Head Soup lacks that. Maybe because Jimmy Miller was losing his grasp?

Date: May 29, 2023 05:50

buffalo7478
To each their own, of course, but even as a 13 yr old when the album came out, I thought Winter was lame filler and Can You Hear The Music seemed like something they recorded and thru onto the record when it was not flushed out. At 63, it still sounds like lame filler. Can You Hear The Music, is easy to skip on CD or streaming and I usually do. The rest of it is brilliant but it seems less together they the 4 golden age albums. Though Exile's recording was by all accounts sloppy and disjointed, the album came together perfectly and seems a unified effort...even little ditties like Just Wanna See His Face. Goat's Head Soup lacks that. Maybe because Jimmy Miller was losing his grasp?

That's really sad, actually, as a Stones fan, for starters: you make it sound like it's as bad as a majority of TSMR or DIRTY WORK.

Why everyone has to hear something in line with JJF, SFTD, GS and YCAGWYW is ridiculous (not saying anyone in this thread did but you know the deal).

It's a brilliant song (just like If You Really Want To Be My Friend on the following LP) that beholds a beautiful melody that floats above the highness of the moment yet stays in touch with elements of their past. It's essentially a calling card for, literally, the song title.

That's lost on you and, apparently, a lot of Stones fans that call themselves Stones fans.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 29, 2023 10:05

GasLightStreet
buffalo7478

That's really sad, actually, as a Stones fan, for starters: you make it sound like it's as bad as a majority of TSMR or DIRTY WORK.

Why everyone has to hear something in line with JJF, SFTD, GS and YCAGWYW is ridiculous (not saying anyone in this thread did but you know the deal).

It's a brilliant song (just like If You Really Want To Be My Friend on the following LP) that beholds a beautiful melody that floats above the highness of the moment yet stays in touch with elements of their past. It's essentially a calling card for, literally, the song title.

That's lost on you and, apparently, a lot of Stones fans that call themselves Stones fans.

I think we can 'prefer' certain stones songs to others and still broadly be considered fans.

For me personally, I haven't connected that well with GHS though I love a number of individual tracks. When the deluxe stuff came out a couple of years ago, I immediately enjoyed Criss Cross, Scarlet and All The Rage. If these had replace d one or two tracks...OR, in some freakish Aftermath UK-manner been added to the existing tracks with one behemoth single album, and maybe resequenced, I probably would have loved it and maybe even we'd be talking about the BIG FIVE.

In retrospect, and this I understand is for me personally, I don't see that 'balance' in GHS that the other 'pedigree' albums in their catalogue have.

Date: May 29, 2023 14:27

It’s not for me to say that you’re not a fan, when you don’t like some of the songs The Rolling Stones made. I think it’s a bit off to say that. One can’t like all the songs made by them.
I think it’s completely normal to dislike some of the songs made, and one still can be named a fan. I call myself fan and not liking all of the songs. But I do like most of them. smiling smiley

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: May 29, 2023 15:49

GasLightStreet
buffalo7478

Wow, you really like "Can You Hear The Music" don't you?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: May 29, 2023 18:13

big4
GasLightStreet
buffalo7478

Wow, you really like "Can You Hear The Music" don't you?

Well, the beauty of the melody when it goes to the "love is a mystery"-part is undeniable.

Date: May 29, 2023 19:42

Have to interject here as I think Winter is a great song,m I always play it in that season,too, and love the build up, the strings and Taylor's solo.
Can You Hear the Music is like an escapee from Satanic Majesties - this is the one where Mick plays the shamisen?

Date: May 29, 2023 20:00

The only problem I have with any track on GHS is the separation of instruments.Even after Giles Martin remix the guitars especially on tracks like Silver Train Heartbreaker and CYHTM sound muddy

Date: May 29, 2023 20:20

GasLightStreet
buffalo7478

I like the album, I just think it had a couple of lamer songs, IMHO. Making the jump to me making it sound as bad as Dirty Work? That I'm not s real Stones fan because I don't like a couple songs on an album? Like inferring that unless you're 100% supportive of the monarchy you're not a true Brit, or 100% support the government of the US you're not really American. I'm hopefully most people see the world in shades of grey and not black and white. Maybe I'm wrong.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 30, 2023 10:50

Great songs, very good album...just maybe not quite enough Rock N Roll guitar for some folks ?

Date: May 30, 2023 21:24

Would love to see them perform Coming Down Again.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 30, 2023 22:40

buffalo7478

Strange to think that 'them' now performing it would be only Keith Richards... Of those who once recorded this beautiful piece under the name of The Rolling Stones (and if the hell doesn't freeze and Jagger would join the stage with him).

- Doxa

Date: May 30, 2023 22:48

Doxa
buffalo7478

Strange to think that 'them' now performing it would be only Keith Richards... Of those who once recorded this beautiful piece under the name of The Rolling Stones (and if the hell doesn't freeze and Jagger would join the stage with him).

- Doxa
Did not Mick sing vocals on the album track

Date: May 31, 2023 14:26

buffalo7478

One of the songs I would like to witness too! Great with Keith AND Mick sharing the microphone on stage on this great gem!! smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home