Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Date: August 8, 2015 00:07

Date: August 8, 2015 00:09

GHS promotional party

Date: August 8, 2015 00:09

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 8, 2015 00:13

Great photos! Mick's eyes are pretty telling in that last one.

What happened to Dandie? I'd hate to think this was the last Album Talk thread...

Date: August 8, 2015 00:16

Date: August 8, 2015 00:21

GHS promotional party

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2015 02:24

Bad tooth boooooooooogie .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: August 8, 2015 03:04

I've never understood the meaning of the bags or whatever is on their heads in the album artwork…does anyone know what that symbolizes?

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: August 8, 2015 03:53

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
GasLightStreet
2014Slayer
I just got GHS on cd, have loved the original for years. Interesting listening to it in a car as opposed to a record player where the sound is so much richer, I think it has a shallow feel on a cd. Am I crazy, or has anyone else noticed that?

In your car? I think everything sounds goofy in automobiles. Then again... what version of CD do you have? If it's UMe then it's truly garbage. If it's Virgin then that tells you your car is no place for listening, it's just for hearing. If it's CBS then perhaps the car stereo can't get loud enough.

Truly? There is something special, imo, in listening to music while cruising in a car down the highway. It's almost a sacred thing and some of my most memorable listening experiences are in vehicles. In America it's a tradition of sorts actually.

When we go on vacations we always pick up 3 or 4 CD's we want to hear and play them incessantly over the course of the trip and that creates an association so that whenever we hear that music again it brings up fond memories of the trip.

As far as the sound of GHS, The Universal remasters are definitely brickwalled to death but the earlier CD releases are as good as the vinyl. The overall sound is a bit different than their earlier record but if you consider the equipment and studio they were using it's surprisingly good.

Because of where speakers are situated it makes hearing everything a challenge as well as different vehicle types is why it's goofy in automobiles.

My car stereo is really pretty good, it is a wagon with rear speakers, and I have a custom setting for my Stones music, but it is the UMe cd, so maybe that is the issue. I agree rocking in my car is a pleasure, the stereo in my husband's Honda Fit is terrible though.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 8, 2015 06:29

aftergeography
I've never understood the meaning of the bags or whatever is on their heads in the album artwork…does anyone know what that symbolizes?

I read that they are death shrouds.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 8, 2015 12:32

GasLightStreet
LuxuryStones
They only played it once that tour.. Strange & Thank you.

I wondered about that. It turns out they played it twice, the first and second shows of the tour. They played it too fast!

Not very much. They should have put it in the setlist for the rest of the tour. That live version really kicked ass.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2015 15:07

HMS
Must be the liner notes of Rarities where I read that Charlie likes Through The Lonely Night a lot. Maybe I read it elsewhere, doesn´t matter. But I was very surprised to read this, since I consider the song one of the weakest they ever recorded. You never know with Charlie, maybe he was just kidding. TTLN is boring and somewhat unintentionally funny at the same time.

And yet you love DIRTY WORK?

Seems like everything about your liking of the Stones goes against being a Stones fan, especially thinking TTLN is "the weakest they ever recorded". That is beyond absurd.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 9, 2015 15:47

I said "one of the weakest" not "the weakest". The Song was a b-side and that´s where it belongs. If they had included it on the GHS-album, it would have been the weakest song of the album, like "Anyway You Look At It" would have been the weakest song on Bridges To Babylon.

Dirty Work is outstanding powerful, GHS is weak. The Stones were probably tired back then because of constantly touring and releasing album after album. Even the greatest fail sometimes or run out of ideas.

Does anybody really like Through The Lonely Night? If so, WHY? Because it´s The Stones? The song is superfluous and the singing is rather poor, imo.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2015 16:03

TTLN is awesome. Poor singing?

You like DIRTY WORK.

The song is superfluous?

DIRTY WORK is superfluous.

Not sure what spaceship dropped you off but for some reason you think DW is "oustanding powerful" and GHS is "weak", that they'd "run out of ideas". If DW had even one idea on it that is anything near as good as what they did on GHS it would make the album quasi-listenable.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 9, 2015 18:53

I always was a bit disappointed in the LP on original release but I think mainly it was the shitty sound...if you want to hear it pulled out of the dirt in the best sound avail(and I mean better than the latest official re-issues) get a copy of "Dancing So Free" from Mickboy and T and Frayed...I know, I know...there are a lot of critics here and I sure don't believe all he touched was gold (especially the live stuff) BUT this one was raved about even from some of his harshest critics here...if you never listen to any of his others please give this one a spin before "stoning" me! ;-)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 9, 2015 18:56

scottkeef
I always was a bit disappointed in the LP on original release but I think mainly it was the shitty sound...if you want to hear it pulled out of the dirt in the best sound avail(and I mean better than the latest official re-issues) get a copy of "Dancing So Free" from Mickboy and T and Frayed...I know, I know...there are a lot of critics here and I sure don't believe all he touched was gold (especially the live stuff) BUT this one was raved about even from some of his harshest critics here...if you never listen to any of his others please give this one a spin before "stoning" me! ;-)

+1 thumbs up

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 9, 2015 19:54

Is the boot "Goats Head Soup Reheated" the same as the Mick-Boy-remaster?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 9, 2015 22:51

HMS
I said "one of the weakest" not "the weakest". The Song was a b-side and that´s where it belongs. If they had included it on the GHS-album, it would have been the weakest song of the album, like "Anyway You Look At It" would have been the weakest song on Bridges To Babylon.

Dirty Work is outstanding powerful, GHS is weak. The Stones were probably tired back then because of constantly touring and releasing album after album. Even the greatest fail sometimes or run out of ideas.

Does anybody really like Through The Lonely Night? If so, WHY? Because it´s The Stones? The song is superfluous and the singing is rather poor, imo.

Yes, I am one who not only like, but love "Through the Lonely Nights". And why: Because of its intense and wonderful musical portrayal of longing without ending up in sentimentality. Very adequate vocal interpretation of the lyrics masterfully avoids that trap. The song starting off as a kind of soulful ballad, it transforms, leaving the ballad and ending up into a subdued soul ecstacy before the end. Something like that.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 9, 2015 23:04

HMS
Is the boot "Goats Head Soup Reheated" the same as the Mick-Boy-remaster?

I don't think so...MB has an aborted first attempt that may have been circulated under that name but I'm pretty sure its not the same..

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 9, 2015 23:26

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 09:36 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2015 17:37

MingSubu
aftergeography

I think they're just veils, to look weird and make people wonder even 42 years later.
I read that David Bailey promised Mick he'd make him look like Katherine Hepburn in African Queen;
Keith came out looking charred, and it rather suits him, doesn't it :E

Here's Aubrey Powell talking about a concept that plainly got jettisoned for whatever reason:
"The shoot was organised for 1 PM and Mick and Keith turned up about 5 PM and Keith was in a very bolshy mood.
Storm Thorgerson and I had outlined the concept to the Stones and they were all enthusiastic -
especially Mick. They were all to be centaurs and minotaurs prancing about in the photo in an Arcadian landscape,
like the young bucks they were. Right up Mick's street."
- Aubrey Powell in Bill Wyman's Rolling with the Stones, 2002, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 10, 2015 18:12

with sssoul
MingSubu
aftergeography

I think they're just veils, to look weird and make people wonder even 42 years later.
I read that David Bailey promised Mick he'd make him look like Katherine Hepburn in African Queen;
Keith came out looking charred, and it rather suits him, doesn't it :E

Here's Aubrey Powell talking about a concept that plainly got jettisoned for whatever reason:
"The shoot was organised for 1 PM and Mick and Keith turned up about 5 PM and Keith was in a very bolshy mood.
Storm Thorgerson and I had outlined the concept to the Stones and they were all enthusiastic -
especially Mick. They were all to be centaurs and minotaurs prancing about in the photo in an Arcadian landscape,
like the young bucks they were. Right up Mick's street."
- Aubrey Powell in Bill Wyman's Rolling with the Stones, 2002, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

Here's the mock-ups.

Roger Daltrey eventually used the idea for "Ride A Rock Horse".

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 10, 2015 19:07

Cool - thanks Deltics! That first one (fauns?) is a bit iffy (especially whoever that is on the far right eye popping smiley )
but the centaurs are all right! Did they kibosh it because Keith came out looking 700% hotter than anyone else? :E

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 10, 2015 19:15

Ah, so now I know where this pic comes from.

Date: August 10, 2015 19:18

latebloomer

Yes, it's good to finally have the full context for that important shot.

Date: August 10, 2015 19:21

Yes, it's good to finally have the full context for that important shot.

For historical purposes, of course, dear sssoul lady. winking smiley

Date: August 10, 2015 19:49

latebloomer
For historical purposes, of course, dear sssoul lady. winking smiley

Quite. Historical it is. Deeply so. :E

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 10, 2015 20:40

latebloomer

in the faun mock-up, which of them would this picture be combined with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 20:41 by CloudCat.

Date: August 10, 2015 20:53

CloudCat
latebloomer

in the faun mock-up, which of them would this picture be combined with?

I bet they hadn't taken that photo yet when they were horsing the faun idea around.
That squatting faun on the right really troubles me. Let's talk about the centaurs instead.

Date: August 10, 2015 21:07

That squatting faun on the right really troubles me. Let's talk about the centaurs instead.

Yes, I see what you mean...

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home