Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 6, 2015 23:42

Dam guys keep 'em coming! I'm really digging these photos..

Is that Paul Rogers in this picture upper right?

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 7, 2015 00:09

I like most of it. Some good tunes and overall mostly enjoyable. But I've viewed this album (and IORR and Black and Blue as lesser albums than EOMS and Some Girls).

My favorites in terms of songs are Coming Down Again, Silver Train, 100 Years Ago, Angie. Also, for some reason (I know some do not dig it) 'Dancing With Mr. D.'

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 7, 2015 00:16

They only played it once that tour.. Strange & Thank you.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 7, 2015 00:29

Winter is my favourite song ever.including their whole catalogue. Masterpiece.

Always been a fan of GHS. Coming Down Again, 100 Years Ago, Heartbreaker, Angie and another personal favourite the psychadelic Can't You Hear the Music.

@#$%& is a bit overrated though. Especially the lyrics.The beginning of the lazy jetsetstones of the mid 70's.

Never been a fan of Silver Train or Dancing with Mr D (doesnt work as the opening song)

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 7, 2015 00:30

Well Angie & Heartbreaker killed me when I was just 12 in 1973.
Getting older another one came through and became my companion to this very day:
Winter.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 7, 2015 00:31

Wow, thank you LuxuryStones, wasn't aware that one was ever done live. One hot mess there at the end...

Date: August 7, 2015 01:17

Date: August 7, 2015 01:26

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: August 7, 2015 02:16

For anybody interested in a long, in depth review - here's mine:

Goats Head Soup – 1973 (US #1; UK#1)
Dancing With Mr. D • 100 Years Ago • Coming Down Again • Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) • Angie •
Silver Train • Hide Your Love • Winter • Can You Hear The Music • Star Star (@#$%&)

Stones Fan – *****
Casual Listener - ****

Goats Head Soup is in many ways, the most interesting Stones album. Without a doubt, it is the most underrated album in their canon, even by The Stones themselves. Yet, it is a perfect distillation of Exile On Main Street. Take Exile’s sprawling landscapes and styles and make it more concise and you have Goats Head Soup. If Exile was a triple album, this would slide in perfectly without the slightest dip in quality. Plus this album has something that Exile didn’t, a blockbuster single that was also a tremendous piece of art. Goats Head Soup peaked at #1 on both sides of the pond topping the US chart for 4 weeks. It also included a very cool, yet creepy “Goats Head Soup” poster insert that characterized the music perfectly.

Unlike Sticky Fingers and Exile, which opened with blistering rock tracks, the mysterious vibe of this album starts off with the opening guitar notes. Jagger starts singing about being down at the graveyard and one can picture oneself with him in some Louisiana swamp. Dancing With Mr. D picks up a nice steady groove, with Charlie slightly behind the beat as only had can. The song absolutely oozes with a loose and muddy feel, slightly speeding up as it moves along – something fairly unique with the Stones. Jagger’s vocals are buried in the mix (like Exile), and it works perfectly along with the occasional background howls. One has to struggle to understand the lyrics, and that makes it even more effective. I wish the Stones mixed the vocals like this nowadays. I’ve heard people compare this song to Sympathy For The Devil, but that’s just plain silly. If you want to hear some true Stones’ Jamaican “Voodoo Lounge”, jump right in here. Dancing With Mr. D was only played live on their 1973 tour, but they did use it to promote the album on Don Kirschner’s Rock Concert on US TV.

100 Years Ago opens with a tasteful Billy Preston clavinet introduction and Mick takes us on a journey through the woods the other day. Again the vocals are down and the mix is muddy but it creates a warm encompassing mood. After the intro, the band kicks in with a buoyant upbeat feel. After two versus, Taylor comes in with a wah wah solo but again its buried in the background. Then the song comes to a stop and Jagger starts singing about “lazy bones ain’t got no time to waste away”. This is a downright strange interlude – almost tagged on from another song. It’s brief and the band kicks back in with a truly vicious jam led by keyboards and the wah wah guitar wailing in the background till it fades out.

Coming Down Again is a magnificent ballad led by Keith on vocals and supported by Nicky Hopkins’ beautiful piano and heavy wah wah guitar. Keith’s voice is clear and upfront and absolutely magnificent, with Jagger helping on background vocals perfectly. Keith confesses about slipping his tongue in someone else’s pie, but being hungry it ain’t no crime. After a couple of versus, the song reaches even higher when Hopkin’s piano leads into a phenomenal solo break shared by organ and saxophone. It’s relatively short and segues back into the Coming Down Again verse, but it’s so effective. The Stones have an amazing amount of these phenomenal tracks that should be played, but are long lost, just waiting to be re-discovered.
Another exciting keyboard intro, Charlie’s drums kick in and Jagger sings about a tale of police mistaken identity and the death of a lone junkie in an alleyway. Heady stuff but backed by intoxicating upbeat music highlighted with horn accents, wah wah guitar and an infectious “Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo” chorus. This is hit material and a classic in my book. Heartbreaker is still performed in concert on occasion, it’s always a highlight for me. This was the 2nd US single (none for the UK) and it peaked at #15.

Angie comes next. It’s simply amongst the most well crafted ballads the bands ever done. It’s simply perfect. Jagger’s vocals have never been better (even when he tastefully whispers “Angie”), the lyrics are beautiful and the music is magnificent. The strings tastefully weave in and out along with the beautiful guitar fills and licks. Charlie’s high hat accents throughout are also a trademark of the song. The song is shorter and tighter than Wild Horses and consequently became a well deserved #1 US single (only #5 in the UK). Angie is a classic in every way.

Silver Train starts off side two. Compared to the rest of the album, it comes off a bit pedestrian and the muddy mix takes away from what could have been a truly powerful rocker. This time Jagger uses harmonica to highlight the verses to nice effect and slide guitar running throughout. When it’s time to solo, we get a nice slide guitar solo with Charlie fully riding the cymbal. Jagger raises his voice now, howling about the Silver Train and the song picks up considerable speed. But again the muddy mix distracts from its power. I still prefer the Stones version over the better-known Johnny Winter cover and surprisingly the Stones used this on Kirschner’s to promote the album as well.

Mick Jagger starts bopping on piano singing about sometimes being up and sometimes being down. Again the vocals are down in the mix and one gets the feeling of being in a room with The Stones doing a spontaneous jam on this song. A nice guitar solo starts to kick in and Hide Your Love builds in its power. What at first seems like a loose jam starts to coalesce into a fun loose song. Exile has a few of these type of jam songs, and Hide Your Love is just as good as them.

Next comes one of the all-time lost classic Stones tracks, Winter. I can listen to this song anytime, anywhere. It’s one of the all time great Stones ballads and it should be a regular on classic radio. The song starts with un-accompanied strummed electric guitar and Jagger this time sings clear and up in the mix about a cold hard Winter. At the end of the 2nd verse, one can quickly hear someone yell “yeah” deep in the background, and you feel it too. Jagger wishes he were out in California but instead he’ll wrap his coat around you. Nicky Hopkins piano comes in, as do the strings to bring you ever higher, but the electric guitar and slide licks really bring it home. As you think the songs ending, in comes a tasteful electric guitar solo, string highlights come in and you’re truly lifting higher and higher. At 5:30 it’s too long and not crafted enough for a single, but album ballads don’t come any better.

Suddenly we hear some odd middle-eastern sounds, joined by an infectious heavy wah wah guitar lick. Jagger sings over this tribal beat “Can You Hear The Music / Magic” and at the minute mark the song transforms with Jagger singing about “love is a mystery” with a beautiful melody. Throughout we have wonderful backdrops of sound: wah wahs, drums, eastern drones and strange horn sounds. It’s very effective and haunting. The song stops and in starts the great wah wah guitar lick that started it. By now we can feel the music and magic as Jagger goes back into the “love is a mystery” verse. The song does not feel forced at all, it’s very organic and natural – as if were in a great tribal jam with The Stones and some Arabian musicians. Open up and this music will really grab you.

Next up is Star Star (@#$%&), the only “classic sounding Chuck Berryish” Stones tune on the album. It’s a great way to end the album. We all know the controversy regarding the various lyrics (giving head to Steve McQueen etc), and because of that the vocal lyrics are seriously buried in the mix and in some points nearly impossible to decipher. When Virgin remastered the album, they cleaned it up in the mix and you were able to more clearly hear about “keeping pussy’s clean and getting John Wayne before he dies”. The new Universal mix seems to be closer to the original muddy mix. The song is a classic Stones rocker regardless and is still a highlight when they play it (especially with the blow-up penis on the ’75 / ’76 tour).

So there you have Goats Head Soup, the Stones all-time underrated album, even though it was a US #1 for 4 weeks and has Angie, a perfect #1 single. This album literally takes you on a musical journey, ala Exile On Main Street, but in a more concise way. This album has as many highs as Exile and no real lows and is just ripe for discovery for any Stones fan or casual listener who’s willing to let music envelop their senses. This album is in no way a let down from what came before. The Stones have only regularly played Angie, Heartbreaker and @#$%& live. Dancing With Mr. D, 100 Years Ago and Silver Train made in some cases rare live debuts only on the 1973 tour and the others have never been played live. But it’s not because of the quality, they just aren’t really live type songs.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 7, 2015 02:33

Wow that is a great review..
"Next comes one of the all-time lost classic Stones tracks, Winter. I can listen to this song anytime, anywhere. It’s one of the all time great Stones ballads and it should be a regular on classic radio. The song starts with un-accompanied strummed electric guitar and Jagger this time sings clear and up in the mix about a cold hard Winter. At the end of the 2nd verse, one can quickly hear someone yell “yeah” deep in the background, and you feel it too. Jagger wishes he were out in California but instead he’ll wrap his coat around you. Nicky Hopkins piano comes in, as do the strings to bring you ever higher, but the electric guitar and slide licks really bring it home. As you think the songs ending, in comes a tasteful electric guitar solo, string highlights come in and you’re truly lifting higher and higher. At 5:30 it’s too long and not crafted enough for a single, but album ballads don’t come any better. "

Could not agree more... My fav ballad of all time far & away

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: August 7, 2015 02:37

GHS is not the the coolest Stones record but it is my favorite. Glad they didn't do Exile part 2.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2015 02:40

It's a very melancholy album. I just listened to it in the car last week. If Coming Down Again isn't about the emotional aftermath of the Brian/Anita/Keith triangle, it damn well should be. Angie was a great autumn song that tears at your heart. It's almost like a hangover after the 68-72 climb to the top of the mountain. And 100 Years Ago made me think Mick was thinking of packing it in.

It's strangely recorded. It doesn't have the consistency of sound that something like Some Girls has. There's thinness on a few cuts. And weren't there some bad vibes from recording in Jamaiaca concerning an assault on Astrid and Bill?

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 7, 2015 02:45

I really like Goats Head Soup,It was my fav record for getting stoned to.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-07 02:46 by mandu.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 7, 2015 03:57

good to see dandelion still posting on here.

my thoughts on GHS are well known. it was the beginning of the Great Decline, with some truly horrendous moments. WTF is "silver train" doing on a stones album instead of the cutting room floor?

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: August 7, 2015 04:24

GHS. To my ears the first of many Stones albums wrecked by the Glimmer's. They made Mick Taylor small and would repeat that mistake on IORR.

Would've loved to have heard 'Silver Train' before Mick & Keith got their hands on it. IMO, the song's on GHS are better than the what the master left us with. The DWMD of Brussels really knocks the snot out of the album version is another example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-07 04:25 by TonyMo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 7, 2015 05:50

TonyMo

GHS. To my ears the first of many Stones albums wrecked by the Glimmer's. They made Mick Taylor small and would repeat that mistake on IORR.

Would've loved to have heard 'Silver Train' before Mick & Keith got their hands on it. IMO, the song's on GHS are better than the what the master left us with. The DWMD of Brussels really knocks the snot out of the album version is another example.

That's true. Bill's bass on Brussels DWMD is riveting.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 7, 2015 09:24

One of my favourites.

Always come back to it and apart from silver train, love it.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: August 7, 2015 09:30

I just got GHS on cd, have loved the original for years. Interesting listening to it in a car as opposed to a record player where the sound is so much richer, I think it has a shallow feel on a cd. Am I crazy, or has anyone else noticed that?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 7, 2015 09:36

I thought it was a better album than both Sticky and Exile when it was released...blame it on 'Angie' or maybe that star star...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 7, 2015 11:42

It was difficult to match something like Exile. So GHS is a decline, but it consists of an exquisite song material. Hundred Years Ago, Coming Down Again, Silver Train, Winter, Star, Star and last but not least Hide Your Love with a brilliant Mick Taylor set the album apart from an average product. A little bit too polite and smooth as one can see if they play the tracks live and the songs shine against the background of a dose of rawness (Angie).

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 7, 2015 12:06

Always had a soft spot for GHS...some real gems in there but I've never liked the production, it always sounds very muddy and narrow...even when I played it on vinyl it seems flat.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 7, 2015 14:48

withaheadfullofsnow

I kind of understand why he left the Group when looking at this pic...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 7, 2015 15:17

kammpberg
For anybody interested in a long, in depth review - here's mine:

Goats Head Soup – 1973 (US #1; UK#1)
Dancing With Mr. D • 100 Years Ago • Coming Down Again • Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) • Angie •
Silver Train • Hide Your Love • Winter • Can You Hear The Music • Star Star (@#$%&)

Stones Fan – *****
Casual Listener - ****

Goats Head Soup is in many ways, the most interesting Stones album. Without a doubt, it is the most underrated album in their canon, even by The Stones themselves. Yet, it is a perfect distillation of Exile On Main Street. Take Exile’s sprawling landscapes and styles and make it more concise and you have Goats Head Soup. If Exile was a triple album, this would slide in perfectly without the slightest dip in quality. Plus this album has something that Exile didn’t, a blockbuster single that was also a tremendous piece of art. Goats Head Soup peaked at #1 on both sides of the pond topping the US chart for 4 weeks. It also included a very cool, yet creepy “Goats Head Soup” poster insert that characterized the music perfectly.

Unlike Sticky Fingers and Exile, which opened with blistering rock tracks, the mysterious vibe of this album starts off with the opening guitar notes. Jagger starts singing about being down at the graveyard and one can picture oneself with him in some Louisiana swamp. Dancing With Mr. D picks up a nice steady groove, with Charlie slightly behind the beat as only had can. The song absolutely oozes with a loose and muddy feel, slightly speeding up as it moves along – something fairly unique with the Stones. Jagger’s vocals are buried in the mix (like Exile), and it works perfectly along with the occasional background howls. One has to struggle to understand the lyrics, and that makes it even more effective. I wish the Stones mixed the vocals like this nowadays. I’ve heard people compare this song to Sympathy For The Devil, but that’s just plain silly. If you want to hear some true Stones’ Jamaican “Voodoo Lounge”, jump right in here. Dancing With Mr. D was only played live on their 1973 tour, but they did use it to promote the album on Don Kirschner’s Rock Concert on US TV.

100 Years Ago opens with a tasteful Billy Preston clavinet introduction and Mick takes us on a journey through the woods the other day. Again the vocals are down and the mix is muddy but it creates a warm encompassing mood. After the intro, the band kicks in with a buoyant upbeat feel. After two versus, Taylor comes in with a wah wah solo but again its buried in the background. Then the song comes to a stop and Jagger starts singing about “lazy bones ain’t got no time to waste away”. This is a downright strange interlude – almost tagged on from another song. It’s brief and the band kicks back in with a truly vicious jam led by keyboards and the wah wah guitar wailing in the background till it fades out.

Coming Down Again is a magnificent ballad led by Keith on vocals and supported by Nicky Hopkins’ beautiful piano and heavy wah wah guitar. Keith’s voice is clear and upfront and absolutely magnificent, with Jagger helping on background vocals perfectly. Keith confesses about slipping his tongue in someone else’s pie, but being hungry it ain’t no crime. After a couple of versus, the song reaches even higher when Hopkin’s piano leads into a phenomenal solo break shared by organ and saxophone. It’s relatively short and segues back into the Coming Down Again verse, but it’s so effective. The Stones have an amazing amount of these phenomenal tracks that should be played, but are long lost, just waiting to be re-discovered.
Another exciting keyboard intro, Charlie’s drums kick in and Jagger sings about a tale of police mistaken identity and the death of a lone junkie in an alleyway. Heady stuff but backed by intoxicating upbeat music highlighted with horn accents, wah wah guitar and an infectious “Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo” chorus. This is hit material and a classic in my book. Heartbreaker is still performed in concert on occasion, it’s always a highlight for me. This was the 2nd US single (none for the UK) and it peaked at #15.

Angie comes next. It’s simply amongst the most well crafted ballads the bands ever done. It’s simply perfect. Jagger’s vocals have never been better (even when he tastefully whispers “Angie”), the lyrics are beautiful and the music is magnificent. The strings tastefully weave in and out along with the beautiful guitar fills and licks. Charlie’s high hat accents throughout are also a trademark of the song. The song is shorter and tighter than Wild Horses and consequently became a well deserved #1 US single (only #5 in the UK). Angie is a classic in every way.

Silver Train starts off side two. Compared to the rest of the album, it comes off a bit pedestrian and the muddy mix takes away from what could have been a truly powerful rocker. This time Jagger uses harmonica to highlight the verses to nice effect and slide guitar running throughout. When it’s time to solo, we get a nice slide guitar solo with Charlie fully riding the cymbal. Jagger raises his voice now, howling about the Silver Train and the song picks up considerable speed. But again the muddy mix distracts from its power. I still prefer the Stones version over the better-known Johnny Winter cover and surprisingly the Stones used this on Kirschner’s to promote the album as well.

Mick Jagger starts bopping on piano singing about sometimes being up and sometimes being down. Again the vocals are down in the mix and one gets the feeling of being in a room with The Stones doing a spontaneous jam on this song. A nice guitar solo starts to kick in and Hide Your Love builds in its power. What at first seems like a loose jam starts to coalesce into a fun loose song. Exile has a few of these type of jam songs, and Hide Your Love is just as good as them.

Next comes one of the all-time lost classic Stones tracks, Winter. I can listen to this song anytime, anywhere. It’s one of the all time great Stones ballads and it should be a regular on classic radio. The song starts with un-accompanied strummed electric guitar and Jagger this time sings clear and up in the mix about a cold hard Winter. At the end of the 2nd verse, one can quickly hear someone yell “yeah” deep in the background, and you feel it too. Jagger wishes he were out in California but instead he’ll wrap his coat around you. Nicky Hopkins piano comes in, as do the strings to bring you ever higher, but the electric guitar and slide licks really bring it home. As you think the songs ending, in comes a tasteful electric guitar solo, string highlights come in and you’re truly lifting higher and higher. At 5:30 it’s too long and not crafted enough for a single, but album ballads don’t come any better.

Suddenly we hear some odd middle-eastern sounds, joined by an infectious heavy wah wah guitar lick. Jagger sings over this tribal beat “Can You Hear The Music / Magic” and at the minute mark the song transforms with Jagger singing about “love is a mystery” with a beautiful melody. Throughout we have wonderful backdrops of sound: wah wahs, drums, eastern drones and strange horn sounds. It’s very effective and haunting. The song stops and in starts the great wah wah guitar lick that started it. By now we can feel the music and magic as Jagger goes back into the “love is a mystery” verse. The song does not feel forced at all, it’s very organic and natural – as if were in a great tribal jam with The Stones and some Arabian musicians. Open up and this music will really grab you.

Next up is Star Star (@#$%&), the only “classic sounding Chuck Berryish” Stones tune on the album. It’s a great way to end the album. We all know the controversy regarding the various lyrics (giving head to Steve McQueen etc), and because of that the vocal lyrics are seriously buried in the mix and in some points nearly impossible to decipher. When Virgin remastered the album, they cleaned it up in the mix and you were able to more clearly hear about “keeping pussy’s clean and getting John Wayne before he dies”. The new Universal mix seems to be closer to the original muddy mix. The song is a classic Stones rocker regardless and is still a highlight when they play it (especially with the blow-up penis on the ’75 / ’76 tour).

So there you have Goats Head Soup, the Stones all-time underrated album, even though it was a US #1 for 4 weeks and has Angie, a perfect #1 single. This album literally takes you on a musical journey, ala Exile On Main Street, but in a more concise way. This album has as many highs as Exile and no real lows and is just ripe for discovery for any Stones fan or casual listener who’s willing to let music envelop their senses. This album is in no way a let down from what came before. The Stones have only regularly played Angie, Heartbreaker and @#$%& live. Dancing With Mr. D, 100 Years Ago and Silver Train made in some cases rare live debuts only on the 1973 tour and the others have never been played live. But it’s not because of the quality, they just aren’t really live type songs.

thumbs up

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 7, 2015 16:02

LuxuryStones

Mmmm, at least twice!

To me this was the last of the series of great albums, starting with Beggars Banquet, including Ya Ya's of course: The Big Six.

GHS was released in August 1973, two month later I heard them them play songs from this album, still the one I like the most to listen to. What a wonderful period in the history of the Stones those months were for me!

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: August 7, 2015 16:10

HMS
Hummm... never cared too much for this. Most part of the album is boring, a few songs are quite good but offer nothing remarkable new, Stones-by-numbers & Chuck-Berry-routine, sometimes done in a quite enjoyable way, but nothing really exciting. Listening to this album I always have a "The Stones imitating the Stones"-feeling. A big yawn is always underway.

Dancing with Mr. D----------- very bad start for the album. Never liked this song.
100 Years Ago----starts nice but soon becomes very boring.
Coming Down Again----pretty much like 100 years, nice start but going nowhere....but less boring than 100 Years.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)----partly striking, partly very odd.
Angie---- horrible, honestly I never liked it.
Silver Train---funny, but...
Hide Your Love---- the number I like the best.
Winter---- boring, boring, boring, boring.
Can You Hear the Music----sounds like psychodelic leftover from TSMR-period, cant stand it. Not only weird-sounding but boring too.
Star Star---- quite all right, the Stones in Chuck-Berry-mood. But somehow it does not sparkle the way it should have.

Even the Stones cannot deliver masterpieces all the time. After a handful really great albums, this one almost totally fails, imo. Very few highlights on this one, I wouldnt say it sucks completely, but overall it´s damn boring to my ears. The only tracks I would pick for a compilation are Hide Your Love and Star Star.

nonsense!! it´s one of their best records!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2015 16:22

Great review Kammpherg, thanks for taking the time to write it. I agree with 24FPS, the album has a melancholy tint to it...but, perhaps that is because it does seem like an echo of EOMS. At any rate, I love it, and for a time, I listened to it all the time...my constant companion on long walks. I can't imagine a better one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-07 16:44 by latebloomer.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 7, 2015 16:27

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

Mmmm, at least twice!

To me this was the last of the series of great albums, starting with Beggars Banquet, including Ya Ya's of course: The Big Six.

GHS was released in August 1973, two month later I heard them them play songs from this album, still the one I like the most to listen to. What a wonderful period in the history of the Stones those months were for me!

Yep, those were the days.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 7, 2015 16:36

HMS
Hummm... never cared too much for this. Most part of the album is boring, a few songs are quite good but offer nothing remarkable new, Stones-by-numbers & Chuck-Berry-routine, sometimes done in a quite enjoyable way, but nothing really exciting. Listening to this album I always have a "The Stones imitating the Stones"-feeling. A big yawn is always underway.

Dancing with Mr. D----------- very bad start for the album. Never liked this song.
100 Years Ago----starts nice but soon becomes very boring.
Coming Down Again----pretty much like 100 years, nice start but going nowhere....but less boring than 100 Years.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)----partly striking, partly very odd.
Angie---- horrible, honestly I never liked it.
Silver Train---funny, but...
Hide Your Love---- the number I like the best.
Winter---- boring, boring, boring, boring.
Can You Hear the Music----sounds like psychodelic leftover from TSMR-period, cant stand it. Not only weird-sounding but boring too.
Star Star---- quite all right, the Stones in Chuck-Berry-mood. But somehow it does not sparkle the way it should have.

Even the Stones cannot deliver masterpieces all the time. After a handful really great albums, this one almost totally fails, imo. Very few highlights on this one, I wouldnt say it sucks completely, but overall it´s damn boring to my ears. The only tracks I would pick for a compilation are Hide Your Love and Star Star.

Don't you like DIRTY WORK?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 7, 2015 16:53

A huge drop in qulaity of songwriting from their previous 4 albums, the playing is decent but the songs are just not that good except for Heartbreaker and Winter.

Posted by: Dbs1972 ()
Date: August 7, 2015 17:06

I actually like this record. A different perspective ... I once read a review that argued GHS could have easily been sides 5 & 6 of "Exile On Main Street." While that sounds absurd on the face, I believe it to be true. The riffs, the horns, the tunes are all there. I think the reason we tend to write this LP off is 100% "packaging." TERRIBLE cover art. I remember rushing to Record Bar to buy this album the day it came out and immediately saw the cover and said, "Wow the Stones have totally gone glitter." Unfortunately this influenced everything we heard coming off the grooves from then on, and we all tended to view it as some new direction/era for the band. I always thought they should have used the goat head in the boiling pot as the actual cover art, with something grittier on the back. Imagine if you had taped this LP off the radio and became very familiar with it before you ever saw the cover. Do not discount the power of packaging ... another great example of bad cover art in my opinion was "Quadrophenia" from that same year. The dark, depressing images forever framed the music inside as such in my mind. Just some food (soup) for thought.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home