Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Keith in Esquire September 2015
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 5, 2015 18:54

Great interview:

[www.esquire.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 22:42 by bv.

Re: Keith in Esquire
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:03

Courting controversy there. You'd think he had an album coming out soon! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:14

Hehe...Keith firing on all cylinders !

I just read about [former Rolling Stones bass player] Bill Wyman getting upset about a plaque at Dartford station honoring you and Mick.

Yeah. I actually don't know exactly what it said, but Mick just the other day came up to me and says, "Do you believe this shit, man? Bill Wyman is complaining about the plaque at Dartford station." I said, "A plaque? I thought we had a statue."
He was pissed off because it said you and Mick "formed" the Rolling Stones.

I know he took umbrage with that, but I can't understand why. Bill wasn't there when the band was formed. Ian Stewart formed the band—we gravitated around him. Bill was a quirky, funny old f*ucker, but why he should make some ?kind of public 'do about it.?.?.?. I think Mick sent a note saying—?because Bill comes from a town called Penge—"Bill, if a plaque went up in Penge station that said you were the founding member of the Rolling Stones, do you think we'd complain?" But Bill—oh, we love him ?dearly, and he was a hell of a bass player. We didn't tell him to leave.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-05 19:15 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:23

But he calls Bill "hell of a bass
Player", so a nice compliment there.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:26

Maybe the first time Keith has ever said Bill was a 'hell of a bass player'. It sounds like they find Bill's eccentricities funny and just shake their head at him. Still, Bill was right that Mick & Keith didn't 'form' the Stones, even if Keith believes it was Stu. And it's true, Bill, or Charlie, weren't there in the beginning and did not witness what went down in the nascent stage.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:27

I loved the Guitar Magazine comment.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:28

Good to see Keith doing the rounds, and trying hard to promote the new Cd
It still matters to him to be successful
Come on Keith, do a mini wino's tour, you know it makes sense dear boy smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:48

This is why everybody loves Keith. He's got the perfect answers to (almost) every question.

A bit thrown off by his Sgt. Peppers comments. Not roots enough? Carried away? Rubbish like Satanic Majesties? Clearly it's time he smoked that joint and had another listen.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:52

Rollin92
But he calls Bill "hell of a bass
Player", so a nice compliment there.

Yes. And then he puts Bill firmly in his place by saying "we didn't tell him to leave" he he...

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:58

Geez, could Esquire have used a more incendiary headline? His Sgt.Pepper comment is about 1% of the entire interview.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 5, 2015 20:29

"Maybe it was the haircut or something" - I love Keith Richards

And the interviewer did an excellent job. Thanks for posting it, Koen

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: August 5, 2015 20:54

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. Great read!

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:28

Naturalust
This is why everybody loves Keith. He's got the perfect answers to (almost) every question.

A bit thrown off by his Sgt. Peppers comments. Not roots enough? Carried away? Rubbish like Satanic Majesties? Clearly it's time he smoked that joint and had another listen.

Keith is right on target

Date: August 5, 2015 21:34

Stones50
Naturalust

Keith is right on target

Ok clearly it's time you smoked the joint and had another listen then. smoking smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:41

Keith never liked the Beatles music much. I doubt Jagger does either.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised Keith said that about Sgt. Peppers.

the Stones will always have the rap of being second to the Beatles, however, in the general view of most people.

not me.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:42

I suspect Keith is including Satanic Majesties so as not to sound like a prick when he comments that the Beatles understandably lost their way (in his opinion). Also, looking at the Stones oeuvre as it continued, TSMR is certainly a side alley. Even Between the Buttons has more basis in the blues.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:44

duke richardson
the Stones will always have the rap of being second to the Beatles, however, in the general view of most people.

not me.
And then there are those that don't give a care in the world as to who number 1 is and who is number 2. Put me in that category smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:48

Boognish
duke richardson

not me.
And then there are those that don't give a care in the world as to who number 1 is and who is number 2. Put me in that category smiling smiley

Put Keith in that category too, if the bit about José Feliciano is to be believed. Interesting that he says he wouldn't have minded being a sideman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:51

another example of Keith telling it like it isn't..

I doubt he would have been a sideman long..

Date: August 5, 2015 21:59

TeddyB1018
I suspect Keith is including Satanic Majesties so as not to sound like a prick when he comments that the Beatles understandably lost their way (in his opinion). Also, looking at the Stones oeuvre as it continued, TSMR is certainly a side alley. Even Between the Buttons has more basis in the blues.

Clearly the problem with music today is that more artists don't lose their way.

Truly exciting and inspirational music seems to come from a blank slate when artists aren't limited to or concerned about "the way". A lesson the Stones could take notice of actually.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 5, 2015 22:31

Nice read .... Yeah the Guitar Player bit was a laugh ....

Kinda like being around a bunch of petrol-heads.... What tyre pressure ya runnin' Rockeeee?
Stuffed if I know they are made of rubber and they go around

ROCKMAN

Date: August 5, 2015 23:01

Rockman
Nice read .... Yeah the Guitar Player bit was a laugh ....

Kinda like being around a bunch of petrol-heads.... What tyre pressure ya runnin' Rockeeee?
Stuffed if I know they are made of rubber and they go around

Lol. Me thinks Keith is understating his guitar knowledge to a great extent. Get him going on old Gibsons and Fenders and I've no doubt his near encyclopedic knowledge exceeds that of many a guitar geek. I'm guessing this is just the image he wants to project although he may be suffering from a bit of over pampering by Pierre. The guy probably hasn't had to change a guitar string or tune his own guitar in years. smoking smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:07

I don't think the stones would have attempted Satanic Majesties without Sgt. Pepper. I doubt Keith thought Sgt. Peppers was rubbish when it was released in
1967. Actually Satanic Majesties has a couple really good tracks as well.

I wonder if Mick actually sent that note to Bill regarding the Dartford Plaque?
A perfect response and very funny.

Long live Keith. You never know what he will say and this makes his interviews
all the more interesting.

Date: August 5, 2015 23:07

duke richardson
Keith never liked the Beatles music much. I doubt Jagger does either.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised Keith said that about Sgt. Peppers.

not me.

Second to the Beatles in popularity but not much else..
I think the Stones finished the 60's second to the Beatles but few could argue that they have not taken them over since.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:14

He's the best interview in the business.

I had begun to worry, 'cause his press avails for the Zip Code kickoff were so anodyne and boring.

Clearly, his mind was elsewhere!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:20

These comments about Sgt Pepper are getting major media attention, does not make Keith look very good.

Date: August 5, 2015 23:23

Mel Belli
He's the best interview in the business.

I had begun to worry, 'cause his press avails for the Zip Code kickoff were so anodyne and boring.

Clearly, his mind was elsewhere!

Could be that Keith is a bit more passionate about his new project.
Maybe he is enjoying the prospect of being his own man, with this new album and possible tour.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:31

Classic Keith Richards, that's for sure. I liked everything about it except for the Sgt. Pepper remark. Ah, but what can yo do? Ask Keith a question at your own risk, cause he's always ready with a cutting response.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:36

mnewman505
These comments about Sgt Pepper are getting major media attention, does not make Keith look very good.

It'll be forgotten in 24-48 hours, like everything else.

Date: August 5, 2015 23:53

Mel Belli
mnewman505

It'll be forgotten in 24-48 hours, like everything else.

Like Keith gives a rats ass what anybody thinks smoking smiley

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home