Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Greatest Rock-n-Roll Band in the World?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:33

Green Lady
Don't ask me to define the difference: the nearest I can get is that rock'n'roll makes me want to dance, and Rock doesn't.

Yup!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:52

SomeTorontoGirl
Green Lady
Don't ask me to define the difference: the nearest I can get is that rock'n'roll makes me want to dance, and Rock doesn't.

Yup!

Swinging rhythm section does the trick.
Rock and Roll should be somewhat wobbly.
Rock is mostly boring, lifeless.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 5, 2015 20:55

24FPS
Except it may not be true anymore. I think someone like the Foo Fighters are more dynamic. Come on, they're a lot younger. Charlie understands that he can't wallop the drums like he used to.

I never met anyone that was influenced by Dave Grohls guitar playing, song writing or vocals. Dynamic? The Foo fighters will never ever be in the same league as the Stones. As far as Charlie goes. I don't hear any evidence at all.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: August 5, 2015 20:57

24FPS
Except it may not be true anymore. I think someone like the Foo Fighters are more dynamic. Come on, they're a lot younger. Charlie understands that he can't wallop the drums like he used to.

Is Pat Smear even plugged in?

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:13

More Hot Rocks
I never met anyone that was influenced by Dave Grohls guitar playing, song writing or vocals.
So your rationale for whether or not someone is influential or not is based on people you meet? I've never met anyone who owns a Garth Brooks album but I'm very aware that he is one of the biggest selling artists of all time.

More Hot Rocks
Dynamic? The Foo fighters will never ever be in the same league as the Stones.
Who says the Foos even want to be in the same league as The Stones? I've never heard Dave say "We're the greatest". In terms of dynamics when it comes to their music, the Foo Fighters can rock hard and they can play it soft. Dynamics. There you go.

More Hot Rocks
As far as Charlie goes. I don't hear any evidence at all.
Taylor Hawkins is a monster of a drummer. Amazing. As is Dave Grohl, of course. But they are different types of drummers compared to Charlie. And I know the cliche response is "but Charlie swings, they don't". Not every drummer needs to swing to be good.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:16

PhillyFAN
Turner68
Rockman
"Would you please welcome the only rock'n'roll band left in the world"

I hear you rockman....

So true Rockman. So true.

I guess onlystones and you guys are bedfellows then. grinning smiley

Hard to deny that they probably deserve the title for the obvious reasons but I recall seeing a 5 piece band in some backstreet dive bar in Texas once that probably could have given them a run for their money. Unfortunately they were so good I'm pretty sure they spontaneously combusted shortly after I saw 'em.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 5, 2015 21:45

They really don't need to tell us something we already know !!
Just hit the opening riff to JJF and lets GO !!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 5, 2015 22:04

They are, but it's in the same sense that Muhammed Ali will always and forever be the greatest boxer ever.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 5, 2015 22:07

i have always been fond of "ladies and gentlemen...."
as if that's what we are

to consider the original question...no need to flaunt the obvious....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-05 23:10 by CloudCat.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 5, 2015 22:08

umakmehrd

That's it in a nut shell.
Who else can make you quiver with excitement and anticipation in 2 seconds like JJF live

Date: August 5, 2015 22:17

keefriffhards
umakmehrd

Who else can make you quiver with excitement and anticipation in 2 seconds like JJF live
There are a million bands that can do that. To think that NOBODY ELSE can give us an exciting quiver and anticipation in 2 seconds as if The Stones have that special gift that nobody else has is just absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-05 22:17 by Boognish.

Date: August 5, 2015 22:28

Boognish
keefriffhards
umakmehrd

There are a million bands that can do that. To think that NOBODY ELSE can give us an exciting quiver and anticipation in 2 seconds as if The Stones have that special gift that nobody else has is just absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion.

A million really ?? just absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 5, 2015 22:34

Boognish
There are a million bands that can do that.

Dont need a million names, but five would be fine.

Date: August 5, 2015 22:38

Boognish
keefriffhards
umakmehrd

but in 2 seconds ?
na not in a million years

Date: August 5, 2015 22:54

umakmehrd
Boognish
keefriffhards
umakmehrd

Obviously not a million, it was just an arbitrary number to make my point.

Date: August 5, 2015 23:01

We know what you mean boognish.
I just think that those instant signature riffs from Keith are unique.
Very instant, they hit you in a way that's like a jolt of lightening.
Its probably just me.

Date: August 5, 2015 23:04

Boognish
umakmehrd
Boognish
keefriffhards
umakmehrd

My point was that your point was absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:59

Who would come to this site and dispute that?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:59

umakmehrd
Boognish
umakmehrd
Boognish
keefriffhards
umakmehrd

both of you have short, blunt points.

Date: August 6, 2015 00:14

Turner68
umakmehrd
Boognish
umakmehrd
Boognish
keefriffhards
umakmehrd

both of you have short, blunt points.

Turner are you commenting on our togger's ?? U better not write a book

Date: August 6, 2015 00:16

straycatdevil
Who would come to this site and dispute that?

I would say an AC/DC or Metallica fan - which is fine by me we all have opinions..

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:21

mebbe get that let's-get-ready-to-rumble guy.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:24

Natlanta

do you mean for ac/dc vs metallica? or the stones vs. metallica? i think the stones vs. ac/dc was decided a few years ago. :-(

Date: August 6, 2015 00:34

Natlanta

Haha www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6eQ78HCGEA

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:49

Isay they start using it again just because they still are the greatest let's piss some people off.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:50

Boognish
I think this whole "greatest rock and roll band in the world" thing is just complete nonsense. How the hell do you even judge something like that? It was just a clever marketing ploy that they used and it worked.

Exactly. You always have to remember the context of the times. When people first heard this, Fall 1970, when Ya Yas was released, it was a little jarring. Led Zeppelin was the real monster rock and roll band at the time. The Stones were struggling to get up to the level of the great groups of the late 60s, early 70s. And there was the perception in some corners that they were still a radio singles group, not a real band. It was almost laughable that the Stones would call themselves the GR&RBITW. The self promotion stuck though, and they did, with Taylor's help, become one of the Greatest Rock and Roll Bands in the World. And longevity helped them keep that title, as they were temporarily overshadowed by groups that came and went, like the Police, or Guns and Roses.

Led Zeppelin might have given them a much better run for their money but for Bonham's death. Led Zeppelin was a hell of a rock and roll band.

Date: August 6, 2015 01:09

24FPS
Boognish
I think this whole "greatest rock and roll band in the world" thing is just complete nonsense. How the hell do you even judge something like that? It was just a clever marketing ploy that they used and it worked.

Exactly. You always have to remember the context of the times. When people first heard this, Fall 1970, when Ya Yas was released, it was a little jarring. Led Zeppelin was the real monster rock and roll band at the time. The Stones were struggling to get up to the level of the great groups of the late 60s, early 70s. And there was the perception in some corners that they were still a radio singles group, not a real band. It was almost laughable that the Stones would call themselves the GR&RBITW. The self promotion stuck though, and they did, with Taylor's help, become one of the Greatest Rock and Roll Bands in the World. And longevity helped them keep that title, as they were temporarily overshadowed by groups that came and went, like the Police, or Guns and Roses.

Led Zeppelin might have given them a much better run for their money but for Bonham's death. Led Zeppelin was a hell of a rock and roll band.

Date: August 6, 2015 01:12

umakmehrd
24FPS
Boognish

I still think Ya Ya's is the best live album ever recorded and it was Mick T's first tour when they started the GRRBITW intro was it not?

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: August 6, 2015 01:52

You all need to get out more.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 6, 2015 02:00

Boognish
More Hot Rocks
I never met anyone that was influenced by Dave Grohls guitar playing, song writing or vocals.
So your rationale for whether or not someone is influential or not is based on people you meet? I've never met anyone who owns a Garth Brooks album but I'm very aware that he is one of the biggest selling artists of all time.

More Hot Rocks
Dynamic? The Foo fighters will never ever be in the same league as the Stones.
Who says the Foos even want to be in the same league as The Stones? I've never heard Dave say "We're the greatest". In terms of dynamics when it comes to their music, the Foo Fighters can rock hard and they can play it soft. Dynamics. There you go.

More Hot Rocks
As far as Charlie goes. I don't hear any evidence at all.
Taylor Hawkins is a monster of a drummer. Amazing. As is Dave Grohl, of course. But they are different types of drummers compared to Charlie. And I know the cliche response is "but Charlie swings, they don't". Not every drummer needs to swing to be good.

And that is a summation of wonders. Really, WTF does it matter anyway?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1674
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home