Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Vinyl rules, just bought a turntable
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 5, 2015 02:10

Came across my old album collection today and after reading reviews, I said f-ck it and went out and bought a turntable for about $400.00 and put on my old STICKY FINGERS. A few pops but I loved it. The sound was so warm and joyous even compared to the Virgin issue. Next is Black and Blue followed by original pressing of Some Girls in its censored sleeve. EXile will happen when the woman and kids are out for the day. It's like I haven't heard these songs sound so good in ages. Oh and of course I had to purchase CROSSEYED HEART too. Still going to get the cd after I wear the shit out of the vinyl. Great sounds. A little smoke behind the shed and daddy is putting on some records. Hey kids, do you even know what these are? lol

Re: Vinyl rules, just bought a turntable
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 5, 2015 02:25

GOOD FOR YOU!

At one point I had 4,000 LPs...broke my heart to slowly get rid of them.

Broke it even more when I got down to 400 LPs.

Now it's down to about 100 Albums which I guess I'm to stay with til the grave.

Still got "Sticky Fingers" and "Let It Bleed." But HOW did I let "Aftermath"
get away? I'm unlikely to buy a turntable but ya never know.

Happy listening!

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 04:11

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 5, 2015 04:14

I'm in the same boat as stonesrule. Got rid of wheelbarrows worth of vinyl to find a trip to Europe when I was a teenager. So many great memories, and there really is no better way to listen to the stones.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 5, 2015 04:18

What kind of record player? I don't know anything about how different each are from each other, but just curious.

Date: August 5, 2015 05:38

PRO-JECT audio systems. Really never heard of them but my home theater guy who has previously sold me rel and paradigm subs as well as Bethoven speakers has never steered me wrong. He sells some high end stuff and 400.00 turntable was his least expensive but he said I would really like it and I am

Date: August 5, 2015 05:42

the turntable is called PRO-JECT DEBUT CARBON

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 5, 2015 07:11

This thread is a timely reminder that I need to toss my P.O.S. Audio Technica AT-LP60 - (you get what you pay for, and this is total junk) - and get something else. The Pro-ject Carbon seems to have quite good reviews, though I see the audiophiles on Steve Hoffman have been very enthusiastic about the U-Turn Audio Orbit, which starts at $179. Anyone got one?

[uturnaudio.com]

(This is about my price level since Mick took all my money.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2015 07:29

I have an older Technics circa 1978-79 time frame. Plays fantastic, so solid.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 5, 2015 09:12

Not only is the sound of old records enjoyable, but it's also fun just to play them. Miss the good old days.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 5, 2015 09:19

nothing like going to a record shop and looking through all the albums,then there were the albums that come with posters.

you get so much more with a record than a cd

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 5, 2015 09:36

Vinyl is it. Still got my 4000 Lps around ready to play on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon...bought a new Ortofon 2 m blue a half year ago...smashing sound with that one...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2015 17:23

mandu
nothing like going to a record shop and looking through all the albums,then there were the albums that come with posters.

you get so much more with a record than a cd

funnily enough, I was just trying to hang the Emotional Rescue poster on the length of office door the other day, using tape and not to use tacks so no holes.

Keeps falling down!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:47

Bashlets
the turntable is called PRO-JECT DEBUT CARBON
I have a project turntable and I'm not too enthusiastic about it. I find that the arm is hard to stabilize. It either presses too much on the record or its flying causing the arm to jump out of the groove at a slight bit of dust.
If I could start anew I would get a different brand.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 5, 2015 22:32

Vinyl rules...
...and is this case it is not OK to break the rules

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:21

I have been buying 2nd copies of favorite LP's when I see them offered at "reasonable" prices. There is a finite supply of these things, and they do indeed sound better.

I have a few turntables in use. One is a Pro-ject 1.2 and the other an old Marantz 6300 I had reconditioned that I bought in 1976... The 6300 has an Ortofon OM20 Cartridge that really sounds good through a Rotel Receiver and some big B and W speakers. A good cartridge will go a long way in getting the sound you are looking for, if it runs through a good/decent set of components. I am inclined to upgrade my Pro-ject turntable and cartridge, but it sounds good in the room where it is played.

Good quality vinyl kicks ass. Have fun!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 6, 2015 03:38

I've got a Technics SL-1200 and I love it. I buy more vinyl these days even than I did back in the days when vinyl was all there was (vinyl copies of new albums, I mean, not "classic" vinyl, though I'll occasionally get those too).

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 6, 2015 03:55

Still have about 1500 plus albums boxed away. Missus thinks I'm a fool to keep them. Other folks say "Give 'em to me, man." Other folks say, "Sh*t man, you could sell that sh*t on ebay and make a bundle". Many are first pressings, if there is such a thing in vinyl, along with mono versions of the Beatles, Stones and other groups from back in the day. They're all still in good condition 'cause I learned the hard way never to lend albums to friends, fools and idiots. Still have a BSR turntable, a JVC turntable, a transistor Hitachi stereo am/fm receiver from way back in the day, a Marantz stereo receiver, a Sony TC280 reel to reel recorder/player (try finding reel to reel quarter inch tape these days), and eight fluckin' hand crafted speakers to go along with it all. I have dragged them along with me on any number of moves from one place to another. Let me tell y'all, them boxes of record albums are heavy as can be when you go to carrying them from place to place. Also got an old Magnavox tube powered hi-fi console from back in the day. The sounds coming out of it with them old records playing...all I can say is "Wow!" There's a warmth and feel to the music that nothing digital can capture.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 04:13

Another vinyl love thread. Cool. Yup I love my vinyl. I am in awe with you folks with 4000 albums! Shit! I have about 400. I spin my black magic on a Thorens, with a Ortofon cartridge. Sounds amazing! Lately I have been ordering a lot of Mobile Fidelity limited releases. Especially the Dylan stuff at 45 rpm. Sounds amazing! Vinyl is coming back big time. NPR just did a show on the largest vinyl factory in the US and how they are just swamped with orders and are opening a new plant. Very cool.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 6, 2015 04:21

I still have a Sony PS-350 and it works.

Does anyone have what they used to call a "cut-out"? There is a hole drilled in the lower right hand of the cover and not in the vinyl.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 04:29 by shattered.

Date: August 6, 2015 04:27

So I was at a store today and bought Primitive Cool on vinyl for $5.00 just for shits and giggles. The cover is in pristine shape but the disc definitely has some pops and of course besides KOWTOW and PARTY DOLL it's pretty bad. LOts of 80's gloss and sheen throughout the whole thing

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 6, 2015 05:01

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 19:10 by colonial.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 6, 2015 05:39

The hole in the lower corner of the album cover was the record store's way of knowing the album was being phased out and removed from inventory. I used to love to paw through the bins of cut out albums. There were real treaures to be found at a much reduced price.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 6, 2015 06:38

I've been on a vinyl binge for about three years since I upgraded my turntable (Clearaudio Concept, closest thing to high-end plug-n-play). Some of the vinyl editions of the From the Vault albums sound quite lovely.

Date: August 6, 2015 06:48

dmay
The hole in the lower corner of the album cover was the record store's way of knowing the album was being phased out and removed from inventory. I used to love to paw through the bins of cut out albums. There were real treaures to be found at a much reduced price.

Supertramp circa 1972 with the flower on it as a cut-out is a gem. I went through my phase of ridding myself of vinyl and wondered what I was thinking. Even the kat at the record store sed: "This is the Grateful Dead!" and that told me to stop.

Great post since I thought I was the only one using vinyl.

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: August 6, 2015 08:21

shattered
I still have a Sony PS-350 and it works.

Does anyone have what they used to call a "cut-out"? There is a hole drilled in the lower right hand of the cover and not in the vinyl.

I still have a Sony PS LX295, it still works great!

I have a red vinyl Stones release for radio stations. Side 1 is Cops and Robbers, and Side 2 is Memphis, Roll Over Beethoven, and Fanny Mae. I thought maybe it was a cut-out, but after digging it out, it isn't. I think it might be from 1963. Very cool though!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 08:32 by 2014Slayer.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: August 6, 2015 08:41

I've always had pretty cheap turntables, but still think my records sound better than cd versions... My current one switches for 78 (only have 2 albums I need it for), and i have plenty of yellow discs for the 45s...

Couple things unique to records/turntables I personally enjoy:

You "know" the album by sides, and are really dialed in to the last song of side 1, and first song of side 2 (vs cds where they all blend together.) The thought process of what song went where on the albums, and even which to include (cuz you weren't adding any) was much different.

I also enjoy stacking records before I go to sleep (only to wake at 4am with the same song skipping)

Of course, can't really play them in your car as easily.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: August 6, 2015 13:17

Snoopy
Of course, can't really play them in your car as easily.

Of course you can:

Date: August 7, 2015 01:09

Does anyone remember or seen any 16 rpm's?

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 7, 2015 01:18

I returned to vinyl a little over a year ago. I am in heaven.

Not only listening to my old collection, and enjoying that sound I remember growing up, but the latest trend of 180-200 gram vinyl reissues. Pure bliss.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home