Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Faces Reunion September 5th 2015
Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: September 8, 2015 15:30

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 8, 2015 16:09

herecomesrichard
My review of the gig:

[richardscomedyreviews.blogspot.co.uk]

EXCELLENT review ... thank you.

Indeed, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE do it again Ron n' Rod n' Kenny, it was pure magic and you sounded great.

On bended knees ......... PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE !!

Fankyew fankyew fankyew

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 8, 2015 16:18

paulywaul
herecomesrichard
My review of the gig:

Indeed, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE do it again Ron n' Rod n' Kenny, it was pure magic and you sounded great.

Fankyew fankyew fankyew

They can´t. Ron is with the Stones and the Stones are bound to tour until they croak. And Rod misses the strings so much... He would only do a "The Orchestral Faces"-tour. Keep in mind, Rod is in "serious entertainment" now. But Kenny could replace Charlie, than you have at least two Faces in one band.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 8, 2015 17:14

HMS
paulywaul
herecomesrichard
My review of the gig:

Fankyew fankyew fankyew

They can´t. Ron is with the Stones and the Stones are bound to tour until they croak. And Rod misses the strings so much... He would only do a "The Orchestral Faces"-tour. Keep in mind, Rod is in "serious entertainment" now. But Kenny could replace Charlie, than you have at least two Faces in one band.

Well the Stones have huge periods of time off; they're not exactly working themselves to death these days, are they ? The Zip Code tour finished in mid-July 2015 for example, and IF they do South America, it wouldn't be till early February 2016. What ... a 6 month slot isn't enough time to slip in some Faces shows ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 17:15 by paulywaul.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 8, 2015 19:15

Excellent review Richard.
Agree with you about Ronnie being the main man, and he was really leading this band musically.
His enthusiasm was there for all to see, although I'm sure Rod was glad to be there singing with his old mates.
He is really enjoying his playing since becoming sober,and he is so good at it, whether it,s with The Stones or The Faces.
I'm sure Ronnie would like to do some more gigs with Kenny and Rod and he has got the time before February. Same as Keith with his band and possible gigs.
Rod, as usual will be the one who says yes or no .

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 8, 2015 19:18

crawdaddy
Excellent review Richard.
Agree with you about Ronnie being the main man, and he was really leading this band musically.
His enthusiasm was there for all to see, although I'm sure Rod was glad to be there singing with his old mates.
He is really enjoying his playing since becoming sober,and he is so good at it, whether it,s with The Stones or The Faces.
I'm sure Ronnie would like to do some more gigs with Kenny and Rod and he has got the time before February. Same as Keith with his band and possible gigs.
Rod, as usual will be the one who says yes or no .

Mick Jagger, as usual, will be the one who says yes or no, like Rod.
Jeroen

Date: September 8, 2015 19:35

To be honest Jeroen, I think it's Charlie who is the one that calls the shots.
If he decides he's had enough of touring and being away from home, that would be it.
Charlie being Charlie would like to keep the rest of the band happy.
I think granddaughter Charlotte being with him on tour could be a big factor to him carrying on.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 19:36

Ok, i've actually watched a few of these videos, man Ronnie is just on fire here...throwing out great solos, leading the band, sober, confident, WTG!!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 8, 2015 20:01

mnewman505
Ok, i've actually watched a few of these videos, man Ronnie is just on fire here...throwing out great solos, leading the band, sober, confident, WTG!!

I agree, I actually think The Faces is a better platform to highlight his talents as a guitar player than the Stones. I imagine he would have developed even more original style and technique had he stayed in a band where he was the #1 guitarist.

Jeff Beck has some interesting comments on Ron Wood in his interview on Dean Goodman's site:

As regards other rock’n’roll people, Ronnie Wood. I love him to death. I think he’s one of the greatest people I’ve ever met, really … He’s got a club in London, which is the best club in London right now (Harrington) … He’s usually pretty tanked. At the Brit Awards, he was well shot away … I think you need to be in that sort of stupor in order to play that kind of loose rhythm. It’s totally against everything I ever stood for, which is sharp, funky rhythms, which need to be slightly more clipped. That’s the sound that everyone loves, that grungy looseness.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 9, 2015 02:08

I love the guitar style of Wood, today that is sober manages to be fantastic!
Here you will find the entire concert [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 02:17

Ron is allowed to smoke on stage!

Stay with me is one of the best songs never written or performed by the stones :-)

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 9, 2015 02:40

I watched the videos last night,Id rather go blind was very nice.It seems Ronnie is alot more happy playing with Rod Stewart

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 9, 2015 02:47

mandu
I watched the videos last night,Id rather go blind was very nice.It seems Ronnie is alot more happy playing with Rod Stewart

I get that sense too. Rod seems to treat him As more of a partner. Keith and mick seem to treat him more like an employee. Just the smoking thing as one example

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 9, 2015 06:36

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 22, 2015 21:46

Exclusive! Rod Stewart reveals why The Faces never reformed until 2015

In a new interview with Uncut, Rod Stewart has revealed why it’s taken so many years to get the Faces back together. Having not played in public since 1993, the band reunited on September 6 for a Prostate Cancer UK benefit gig. Stewart explained the role of late Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan in the delay:

Mac was a bit of a fly in the ointment when it came to getting the band back together, so once he passed, it became a lot easier, because every time I’d say, “Right, we’re going to do it next year”, Mac would go, “No, you’re not doing it next year because we’re not ready. We’ve got a Small Faces album coming out.” Or something like that. So it was always a bit of negativity with Mac. Funny guy, but…
He also said of their relationship, “In Mac’s case I don’t think he ever really accepted me, but we did become friends.”

The Faces split up in 1975, and Stewart has not appeared with the band since a one-off gig at the 1993 Brit Awards; Stewart, Ron Wood and Kenney Jones briefly reunited for a private, one-off event at Stewart’s 70th birthday party earlier this year. A version of the Faces did tour in 2011, with Mick Hucknall filling in for Stewart and Glen Matlock for Laine. Watch footage of the 2015 reunion below:

The November issue of Uncut is in stores today (September 22), in which Stewart also discusses style, the Faces’ drinking habits, his relationship with Ron Wood, whether he’s a “rock’n’roll traitor” for embarking on his Great American Songbook project, his throat cancer scare, procrastination, family and not taking anything for granted.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 22, 2015 21:54

crawdaddy
To be honest Jeroen, I think it's Charlie who is the one that calls the shots.
If he decides he's had enough of touring and being away from home, that would be it.
Charlie being Charlie would like to keep the rest of the band happy.
I think granddaughter Charlotte being with him on tour could be a big factor to him carrying on.

I totally agree with you on Charlie being the one to possibly call it off and Charlotte being a factor in his continuing to tour, but thankfully he hasn't ever played that card yet, I'm not sure he ever will really now that they have settled into the easier way of touring and the huge compensation involved.

But in terms of calling the shots, it seems Keith and Ronnie are always up for a go and it's always going to be Mick who makes the real decision on whether it's going to happen or not. Obviously he does most of the business work involved with taking the Stones on tour so it seems fair enough that he gets a bit more say in such things.

Date: September 22, 2015 22:39

Cristiano Radtke
Exclusive! Rod Stewart reveals why The Faces never reformed until 2015

In a new interview with Uncut, Rod Stewart has revealed why it’s taken so many years to get the Faces back together. Having not played in public since 1993, the band reunited on September 6 for a Prostate Cancer UK benefit gig. Stewart explained the role of late Faces keyboardist Ian McLagan in the delay:

Mac was a bit of a fly in the ointment when it came to getting the band back together, so once he passed, it became a lot easier, because every time I’d say, “Right, we’re going to do it next year”, Mac would go, “No, you’re not doing it next year because we’re not ready. We’ve got a Small Faces album coming out.” Or something like that. So it was always a bit of negativity with Mac. Funny guy, but…
He also said of their relationship, “In Mac’s case I don’t think he ever really accepted me, but we did become friends.”

The Faces split up in 1975, and Stewart has not appeared with the band since a one-off gig at the 1993 Brit Awards; Stewart, Ron Wood and Kenney Jones briefly reunited for a private, one-off event at Stewart’s 70th birthday party earlier this year. A version of the Faces did tour in 2011, with Mick Hucknall filling in for Stewart and Glen Matlock for Laine. Watch footage of the 2015 reunion below:

The November issue of Uncut is in stores today (September 22), in which Stewart also discusses style, the Faces’ drinking habits, his relationship with Ron Wood, whether he’s a “rock’n’roll traitor” for embarking on his Great American Songbook project, his throat cancer scare, procrastination, family and not taking anything for granted.

[www.uncut.co.uk]

WTF??? confused smiley

Thanks for posting, Cristiano.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 22, 2015 22:47

F*ck you Rod. F*ck you.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 23, 2015 00:16

Turner68
mandu

I get that sense too. Rod seems to treat him As more of a partner. Keith and mick seem to treat him more like an employee. Just the smoking thing as one example

nonsense-mick and keith treat him as a full-fledged and very important member of the rolling stones,because he is.

he is however not their equal but he is rod stewarts equal.i like rod stewart but jagger/richards, to put it politely,those guys are next level.

Date: September 23, 2015 00:29

I don't think any of them were Rod's equal, as he had a solo career and was the frontman.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 23, 2015 02:21

maybe not in the past but stepping onstage as a 40 year member of the rolling stones is not the same as being a guitar player in the faces,times have changed

Date: September 23, 2015 03:08

DandelionPowderman

WTF??? confused smiley

I thought exactly the same. Rod used to blame Ronnie because he was too busy with the Stones, and now this. confused smiley

Posted by: soulrob ()
Date: September 23, 2015 06:30

Ian personally told me 3 times in the four years before he died that things were lining up and then Rod backed out. Kenney once gave me the date of their first gig for a supposed reunion tour--Sept 6, 2011 at the Royal Albert Hall--but my understanding from Kenney and Ian was that Rod backed out!

Date: September 23, 2015 21:21

Date: October 11, 2015 18:58

Just seen that Rob Yalden who took the great 'Stay With Me' video has taken videos of all the songs from the gig.

Haven't seen them all, but hopefully will be good ones.

Think I've got them in right order of the setlist.

Big thanks to Rob Yalden. smileys with beer

I Feel So Good

[youtu.be]

You Can Make Me Dance

[youtu.be]

Ooh La La

[youtu.be]

I'd Rather Go Blind

[youtu.be]

I Know I'm Losing You

[youtu.be]

Stay With Me

[youtu.be]

Sweet Little Rock 'n Roller

[youtu.be]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 11, 2015 19:06

RollingFreak
F*ck you Rod. F*ck you.

Seriously - more than ever

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 11, 2015 20:30

Yes - I heard an interview with him last week in which he was directly asked if it was him or Mac that had prevented a Faces reunion. He obviously didn't like the question and was reluctant to speak but replied that it was Mac and then immediately asked to change the subject, which is what happened, so that was that.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: October 11, 2015 21:12

When the Faces broke up in 1975 I distinctly recall Rod in the press (Creem magazine I think) saying it was because "Mac and I hate each others guts".
No secret Rod tried to recruit Woody and Kenney for his solo band at the time - obviously some long term bad blood between Rod and Mac.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:30

Such a shame that it's all ended like that, and Mac has now sadly passed away without playing at the reunion gig.

Rod to me , sounds very two faced.

Praising tribute at the gig but knocking him in other ways. confused smiley

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: October 12, 2015 15:30

I feel a bit sorry for Rod always being blamed for the faces not reuniting earlier. He did try to reform the band a couple of times in the 90's but Woody was touring with that other band winking smiley I think that is how Mac ended up in Rods solo band for a few years. By the time the others were all talking about a faces reunion Rod was doing his Songbook tours. It took him 20 years to get to that project so you can't blame him for putting that first, especially as it wasn't long after he nearly lost his voice after surgery.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home