Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 24, 2019 05:10

Chris Fountain
Replace Sad Sad with Mercy Mercy.

Replace Miss you with Rocks Off

B Stage Deadflowers PWF , Sweet Virginia,

Now the universe is tilted in the right direction

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: June 24, 2019 05:27

Keep "Sad Sad Sad" in rotation.

Replace "Miss You" with anything else.

B-Stage : "Play with Fire" , "Let it Bleed" , "Factory Girl" , "Torn and Frayed"

Better tilted universe.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2019 05:28

Streets Of Love ???????

ROCKMAN

Date: June 24, 2019 05:35

Rockman

Streets Of Love ???????

I might actually say yes to that at this point.

Not my first choice but,I would take almost anything else.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 24, 2019 07:01

streets of love? really? can plundered be far behind (the rush to the EXITS)?

The sticky Fingers LP concept (for an entire show) worked out great at the Fonda.
I think maybe it's time for a DW night. Or at least a few of the best tracks.

--

btw, that's a filthy name for a pop album that kids are gonna listen to.
that's not peter butter he's talking about well maybe it is in part. those creative types, you never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-24 07:02 by hopkins.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 24, 2019 07:08

Rockman

Streets Of Love ???????

Nooooooo. SOL? No way. Wow about they play Miss You for as long as it really is and not 34 minutes?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 24, 2019 14:52

GasLightStreet
Rockman

Streets Of Love ???????

Nooooooo. SOL? No way. Wow about they play Miss You for as long as it really is and not 34 minutes?

Well, they probably play the unedited 12-min- version.
Bring the YOUNG lisa fisher back and I will watch indeed 34 minutes of miss you. Included the "hired gun bass solo", that bill never got...

Date: June 24, 2019 16:26

The only tolerable modern version of "Miss You" since 1982 were the four 2002 / 2003 versions clocking in at just under 6 minutes. The one in Italy may have been the best of them.

Performed only 4 times on that entire tour out of more than 100 shows ..... after not being performed at all in '99.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 24, 2019 16:33

Winning Ugly VXII
The only tolerable modern version of "Miss You" since 1982 were the four 2002 / 2003 versions clocking in at just under 6 minutes. The one in Italy may have been the best of them.

Performed only 4 times on that entire tour out of more than 100 shows ..... after not being performed at all in '99.

You are a walking enzyclopediathumbs up

If audiences survived the 99-tour withour Miss You, why shouldn´t they survive 2019 without Miss You? So please stop playing this song, enough is enough is enough.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 24, 2019 16:49

I think it's because "Miss You" is a crowd pleaser. It's an instant rewarder. And it's also Darryl's shining spot in the set. That's why.
Personally I wouldn't mind being without it (or at least shrunken below 6 minutes). But that's just my own selfish view...

Date: June 24, 2019 17:09

GasLightStreet
Rockman

Streets Of Love ???????

why can't they do miss you for about 6 minutes but include about 2 minutes of other tunes? do a medley of miss you-hot stuff-dance pt 1-miss you

they are all funky slower tunes. don't think it would be that hard to do a minute tease of those rarely played funk tunes.

Date: June 24, 2019 17:22

I have also called for medleys here. They did them in 1975/76. But Stones fans hates medleys for some reason. Sir Michael did one in Chicago though!
You Gotta Move and Rambler. Perhaps he wasn't informed about the tabu?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 24, 2019 18:19

Why not lose YCAGWYW and Miss You that are extended songs and add 3-4 songs from B and L, or something they recorded at Chess from 12/5 thats Chicago blues or Chuck Berry? The setlist from Friday night was tight and conservative and was fine for an opening gig to get the engine up and running. Another war horse loaded setlist tomorrow will not sit well with me having attended the opener and back again for #2.

Date: June 24, 2019 18:42

filstan
Why not lose YCAGWYW and Miss You that are extended songs and add 3-4 songs from B and L, or something they recorded at Chess from 12/5 thats Chicago blues or Chuck Berry? The setlist from Friday night was tight and conservative and was fine for an opening gig to get the engine up and running. Another war horse loaded setlist tomorrow will not sit well with me having attended the opener and back again for #2.

With 19-20 songs being the norm during the last couple of tours and they continually stuffing the setlist with the majority of disc 1 & 2 from Hot Rocks (Satisfaction, Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, Can't Always Get, Rambler, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk) and then Tumbling Dice, Happy from Exile, It's Only Rock and Roll, Miss You from Some Girls, and Start Me Up from Tattoo-that's your set-list. Not too much left over to play with. I think if they were able to pull off a 2 1/2 hour set-you would see so much more variety.

Date: June 24, 2019 18:58

Sighunt
filstan

With 19-20 songs being the norm during the last couple of tours and they continually stuffing the setlist with the majority of disc 1 & 2 from Hot Rocks (Satisfaction, Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, Can't Always Get, Rambler, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk) and then Tumbling Dice, Happy from Exile, It's Only Rock and Roll, Miss You from Some Girls, and Start Me Up from Tattoo-that's your set-list. Not too much left over to play with. I think if they were able to pull off a 2 1/2 hour set-you would see so much more variety.

but dropping those 2 long songs you can get one extra song still in the same time span

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 24, 2019 19:03

keefriffhard4life
Sighunt
filstan

but dropping those 2 long songs you can get one extra song still in the same time span

Both of those songs go for over 6 minutes at a minimum - they could easily do 2 or 3 other songs.

At least they're not doing IORR... so far.

My girlfriend is excited to see them, she never has, so she'll get the HOT ROCKS/REWIND playlist live. This is the last time for me seeing them, which I didn't count on to begin with.

Date: June 24, 2019 19:07

keefriffhard4life
Sighunt
filstan

Very true (dropping You Can't Always Get, Miss You, AND my personal worst song of the set-list Sympathy for the Devil would certainly make for a more diverse and interesting set-list, but the Stones are conservative and like to play it safe unlike Mr. Springsteen who takes risks with his set-list.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: June 24, 2019 19:13

I haven't seen them since 2005.
I'm looking forward to a war horses set list. I do hope the tempo is right, however.
I happen to like Miss You, especially Darryl's bass solo in the middle. It's most likely in the set for Mick and Darryl. Mick is proud of that song and Darryl gets to shine a bit. I'd be ok with Midnight Rambler out or a shortened version of it.

Look, all this set list discussion is really just laps around the pool. It doesn't get us anywhere.
The Stones are playing to the 54,000 casual concert goers who CAME to hear songs they know.
The 6000 of us fanatics? (Assuming 10% of us are fanatics and I think that's generous) they will try to throw us a bone every now and then.
If we want a set of deep cuts? The 6000 of us would have to pay 6 figures for a show.

Date: June 24, 2019 20:37

dennycranium
I haven't seen them since 2005.
I'm looking forward to a war horses set list. I do hope the tempo is right, however.
I happen to like Miss You, especially Darryl's bass solo in the middle. It's most likely in the set for Mick and Darryl. Mick is proud of that song and Darryl gets to shine a bit. I'd be ok with Midnight Rambler out or a shortened version of it.

Look, all this set list discussion is really just laps around the pool. It doesn't get us anywhere.
The Stones are playing to the 54,000 casual concert goers who CAME to hear songs they know.
The 6000 of us fanatics? (Assuming 10% of us are fanatics and I think that's generous) they will try to throw us a bone every now and then.
If we want a set of deep cuts? The 6000 of us would have to pay 6 figures for a show.

I still don't get though what would be wrong with the band putting a minute tease or so of 2 other funk songs in "miss you" and have a medley of the bands better known funky songs encompassed in the bands biggest funky hit

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: June 24, 2019 20:52

Miss You is an important song setlist wise. It lets Darryl to play a solo, just as Honky Tonk Women lets Chuck to shine. It also lets Keith to rest after his set, as his guitar part is not that intense compared to the songs that follow Miss You. Even though am not a big fan of the song, it truly has a purpose in the setlist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-24 20:54 by MacLaurens.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 25, 2019 03:32

I was like the rest of you and thought, "I really don't want to hear Miss You at Chicago #1," and then they played it, and it COOKED. Daryll has some of the best chops on the stage these days, and his solo was long and awesome.

In fact, the two tunes I thought I could most do without were MY and HTW, and when both got cooking it got the crowd going, and it even got cynical me going.

Sympathy is truly the song that needs to go. Keith's solo in that is simply awful.

Sad Sad Sad was great too. They tend to focus a little harder when playing songs they don't often play, and Keith ripped that solo.

And it was gorgeously awesome to have an acoustic B stage set. Angie and Dead Flowers were wonderfully rendered.

Lastly, though I really wanted Out of Control (love Ronnie's soloing) they did a nice job on "web vote" YGMR.

T@3

Date: June 26, 2019 01:11

Stoneage
A piece of cake to pick out Tuesday's setlist then. (If it's not raining). Here is my prediction:

01. Street Fighting Man
02. Let's Spend The Night Together
03. Tumbling Dice
04. Sad Sad Sad
05. Vote song (Harlem Shuffle or Heartbreaker)
06. You can't Always..
07. Play With Fire
08. Sweet Virginia
09. Sympathy For...
10. Honky Tonk
11. Slipping Away
12. Before They Make Me Run
13. Miss You
14. PIB
15. Rambler
16. SMU
17. JJ Flash
18. Brown Sugar
19. Shelter
20 Satisfaction

Jokers will be Harlem Shuffle and Mercy, Mercy. Will they find their way into the set?

I wonder if my early guess holds up? 3 hours to go...

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 26, 2019 01:27

I think Monkey Man has a shot and wouldn't be surprise if SSS is out tonight but back in at Canada show. IORR could replace LSTNT for tonight only as well since Chicago gets 2 shows. Something I noticed while listening to Friday's bootleg today. If they had done OOC it would have been-OOC-YCAGWYW-Angie. Kind of would have bogged things down too much. With the way the setlist is with song vote-YCAGWYW-B Stage Unplugged, slower songs don't really work as vote songs.

Date: June 26, 2019 01:32

Interesting, TD76. I think you may be right. Maybe they will replace both LSTNT and SSS. Or at least one of them.

Date: June 26, 2019 01:40

I'll be keeping a close eye on Setlist FM tonight. Hopefully download the Bootleg at lunch tomorrow.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 26, 2019 01:53

Replace Sad Sad Sad with any Jagger/Richards original and replace Satisfaction
with The Last Time.

Date: June 26, 2019 01:53

Stoneage-after reading soundcheck songs...... SPOILER below.
Bitch in the 2 spot, Monkey as song vote. Angie probably remains, Sweet Virginia unstead of DF. Ride Em On Down either is a rain song replacement for SV or replaces SSS.

Date: June 26, 2019 01:55

Toker-The Last Time was great live in '97. No idea why they don't play that live more. Same with 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Date: June 26, 2019 01:59

Read that too, TD76. Well, every change is a good change here. Let's hope for Bitch and Monkey Man!

Date: June 26, 2019 02:41

I hate Miss You live. Period. Hate it. It’s tired and I think 85% of the crowd is done with it. I say 2 for 1. Shit can miss you. Play Ruby Tuesday and She’s a Rainbow instead. How ever I will say. Miss you comes on the radio. I turn it up.

Do we need a retire Miss You thread?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-26 02:51 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1314
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home