Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2019 03:22

They certainly don't need to do 12 minute versions of

Miss You
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Of all of the ones they could drop, SFTD remains the top one to drop for me. Second would be JJF, 3rd Miss You, 4th Satisfaction.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2019 03:47

Seeing that the tour name is on year 3 and they've been kind enough to make the hilarious tour name not come true at all since it really should be called SAFETY NET, throwing in the odd "deep track", even if it was a lowly B-side, is about all the gravy we'll get.

They've gone from the couple of shows they played I Wanna Be Your Man to Dancing With Mr D.

Very exciting, and, no filter, indeed.

Maybe this go around they'll dish out something even more daring, like Hey Negrita or... maybe another hilarious LP track B-side, like Little T&A or When The Whip Comes Down or Fool To Cry or Neighbours or Dance Little Sister, or one of their lesser known singles like Hang Fire.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 30, 2019 05:25

I think that there are a handful of warhorses that they have to do at a big show, no doubt about it. Mandatory that they perform--otherwise people will demand refunds.

They include:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Jumpin'Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Start Me Up

Other than those, I think they could drop Midnight Rambler if they replaced it with Can't You Hear Me Knockin'

It's Only Rock N Roll and Tumbling Dice need to take a long vacation from the setlist. Same with You Can't Always Get What You Want. The choir bit could use a rest.

I'd like to hear a lot more from the Brian era: She Said Yeah, The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man (they could have a lot of fun with that!) Spider and The Fly, Mother's Little Helper (the "What a drag it is getting OLD!" line would raise the roof as a sing along)

Paint It Black has been great in recent years and I would keep that by all means.

I think we're stuck with Sympathy For The Devil, so I wish they'd play with the arrangement somehow (maybe recreate the sessions and start it as an acoustic!)

They just need to try some different material, and a new approach for some of the old stuff (like the Country Honk/Honky Tonk Women medley I mentioned earlier) Otherwise it's pretty much the same old same old show...and that in fact, is not a gas.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2019 06:46

Mother's Little Helper (the "What a drag it is getting OLD!" line would raise the roof as a sing along)

As goes for CS Blues …. imagine that gem as a sing-a-long …. raise more than thee roof ….

ROCKMAN

Mix everything up on 2019 tour
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 24, 2019 15:26

Some suggestions:

1. Bust up the warhorses at the end.

2. Open with something different - Gimme Shelter?

3. Leave Miss You, Sympathy, and YCAGWYW at home. Rambler, too.

4. Play some hits that have been forgotten - 19th, Rainbow, Ruby, Thumb, Beast, SFM, Heartbreaker, etc.

5. Try an acoustic segment to give Mick a rest.

6. One Keith song

7. Mix the warhorses throughout the show.

8. Play something off the wall - Luxury, Out Of Time, etc.

I know none of this will happen.

Your thoughts?

Re: Mix everything up on 2019 tour
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 24, 2019 15:29

Get rid of Midnight Rambler!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 24, 2019 15:35

Rambler is the closest we get to the core band only.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 24, 2019 15:37

You're right of course, Elmo. But you know the answer to this as well as I. ...Anyway, it's all too late for changes. It doesn't matter anymore.
They should have done what you propose years ago.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 24, 2019 15:47

Won't happen. No way. They are in the comfort zone now. Easy for them, they are old and need predictability and comfort to play well now.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 24, 2019 15:54

Elmo Lewis
Some suggestions:

1. Bust up the warhorses at the end.

2. Open with something different - Gimme Shelter?

3. Leave Miss You, Sympathy, and YCAGWYW at home. Rambler, too.

4. Play some hits that have been forgotten - 19th, Rainbow, Ruby, Thumb, Beast, SFM, Heartbreaker, etc.

5. Try an acoustic segment to give Mick a rest.

6. One Keith song

7. Mix the warhorses throughout the show.

8. Play something off the wall - Luxury, Out Of Time, etc.

I know none of this will happen.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts:

5 and 6 contradict each other!
And 3 should include You Got Me Rockin!
4 ?? those are forgotten hits? We've all heard those before numerous times; no need to bring them back!
aren't 1 and 7 the same?

I'm good with 8 (five times over) though!

Date: April 24, 2019 16:01

Good points, Half.

The acoustic thing I mentioned would be the 2 guitars and Mick on stools. Gives Mr. Watts a break too.

3 should definitely - and forever - include "You Got Me Rockin'"

As for 4, yes, many of these have been played, but not on a regular basis.

Date: April 24, 2019 16:05

I've always said I'll be there when its just Mick and Keith on stools in Carnegie hall!

But, I wonder how these shows will be affected by Micks heart. Even if he gets a clean bill of health, I cant imagine he will be running his normal 10 miles of stage throughout...at least not early on while he feels it out. IM not sure id want to be there fore the first few shows as i feel the set list might be shorter and the "show" a little muted. Though it'll be cool to see the reception he gets after that first song ends, and the jokes he is sure to make about himself during the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-24 16:07 by HalfNanker.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 24, 2019 16:06

noughties
Get rid of Midnight Rambler!

Sorry to ask this but are you crazy? Midnight Rambler is an incredible gem.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 24, 2019 16:21

Wow, quite radical, I like it. Although I'm tired of hearing Midnight Rambler I must say they that's their showcase jam song.

Date: April 24, 2019 16:38

Surely, the running around must be history now? Perhaps for the better. Jagger's voice (apart from his health of course) is the main thing I'm worried about now. Will it hold up?
The others I'm not that worried about. Keith seems to have gained strength again.

Date: April 24, 2019 16:40

When Rambler became a warhorse it became boring and predictable. It was great back in 1989 though...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2019 16:58

It has all become too predictable. Shake it up guys.

Date: April 24, 2019 17:08

Silver Dagger

I miss the danger one used to feel at Stones shows. Missing since 1981

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: April 24, 2019 17:09

Silver Dagger

they are all 75-ish. In the last decade they have cumulatively survived cancer(x2), brain and heart surgery. They are not going to "shake it up" at this point.

We've had then for almost 60 years, and they still put on a great show.
I'd love to see some hidden gems thrown in among the staples, and they do seem to give us one or two every tour, but i don't think we can expect them to get more daring as they approach their 80s!

I've seen them 21 times since my first show in '81; I've been in the 5th row (Shea), I've been in the nosebleeds (Meadowlands) and everywhere in between (MSG, Meadowlands, Newark, Boston Garden, DC). I was also lucky enough to be a three pointer away from Mick at Roseland and at the 2d Beacon show, as well! I hope to see them one more time this summer (ticket pending!) and, honestly, I'll take what i can get a this point in what will likely be my final(?) live show; unless they re-visit NYC in 2021...2023...>??

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 24, 2019 17:41

They’re playing for 99% who will only see them once maybe twice in a lifetime. For them it’s a perfect setlist.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 24, 2019 17:46

I would be sweet to have a 2019 tour...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 24, 2019 18:18

Man, you are out there like Pluto if you think any of that's gonna happen. A bunch of septuagenarian millionaires aren't going to "mix everything up" for a short U.S. tour.

Date: April 24, 2019 18:19

Koen
They’re playing for 99% who will only see them once maybe twice in a lifetime. For them it’s a perfect setlist.

True, but many of the casual/corporate fans don't know Rambler or even Sympathy - just the radio hits.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 24, 2019 18:56

Instead of the song selection. I would rather see Keith and Ronnie singing backup vocals throughout the show as my pipe dream.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 24, 2019 19:29

Elmo Lewis
Koen

True, but many of the casual/corporate fans don't know Rambler or even Sympathy - just the radio hits.

Maybe not Rambler, but EVERYBODY knows Sympathy now. I hear it played every day, not just on the radio but in shops, restaurants, etc. I'd like them to give it a rest, but I think it's mandatory at this point.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: May 17, 2019 19:52

loog droog
Elmo Lewis
Koen

Maybe not Rambler, but EVERYBODY knows Sympathy now. I hear it played every day, not just on the radio but in shops, restaurants, etc. I'd like them to give it a rest, but I think it's mandatory at this point.

Ya, agree with you here.. Even those who aren't born yet know Sympathy.. And love it

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2019 19:56

No matter how badly Keith butchers the solo, not to mention the lame click track, SYMPATHY MUST STAY!!!!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 17, 2019 20:02

snoopy2
loog droog
Elmo Lewis
Koen

Ya, agree with you here.. Even those who aren't born yet know Sympathy.. And love it

You don't know how right you are - In 1977 my sister told me that my unborn nephew was kicking inside her to it - side 4 of Rolled Gold - freaked her out a bit.................grinning smiley

how can i stop
Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: June 2, 2019 00:34

I know I wont hear jigsaw or dandelion on this tour, but it would be nice for Richards to whip out how can i stop,a great stones/Richards song.his vocal, the lyrics, I know he rotates the 4, before they make you, t&A,silver and happy,even though he has thrown in connection recently which is great,how can I stop would be nice.

Re: how can i stop
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 2, 2019 00:56

Yes, it would be a interesting change. Maybe difficult to pull off in a outdoor
stadium though...?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1185
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home