Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 142
Re: Plundered my soul and Following the river
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 19, 2018 04:38

I love Plundered My Soul. Best heard in tandem with the cool official video with the wild graphics and Robert Frank footage.

Date: July 19, 2018 05:56

Great songs - I love them. I don´t think we will get them live. But nobody thought we would get "play with fire" live in Hamburg, so we never really know what will happen.....

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 19, 2018 07:00

‘Pass The Wine (Sofia Loren)’

Warning bad review ahead:
This does not work.
Cha cha cha sound added to ‘Exile’?
The lyrics do not fit ‘Exile’
it’s not how people talked/ does not jive for me

‘Plundered My Soul’
Warning top merits ahead:
This DOES work. This works like a masterpiece. ‘10’

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 19, 2018 07:30

Ooohhh I’m sorry I am taking ‘Plundered My Soul’ down to a 9,
if I am to be honest.
It would be a ‘10’ with Keith singing the back up vocal.

Alright alright who cares.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 19, 2018 13:39

jumpingjackflash5
Plundered my soul is probably not typical ballad but has great Melody and is not the rocker either.

It is as much a 'balad' as (f.i.) "Tumbling Dice" is, imo: nót.
It is (& both are) a slightly-under-mid-tempo-rocker like only the Stones can pull off.

Date: July 19, 2018 14:03

RoughJusticeOnYa
jumpingjackflash5
Plundered my soul is probably not typical ballad but has great Melody and is not the rocker either.

It is as much a 'balad' as (f.i.) "Tumbling Dice" is, imo: nót.
It is (& both are) a slightly-under-mid-tempo-rocker like only the Stones can pull off.

Yes I agree. Typical Stones stuff, rarely seen elsewhere.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 19, 2018 14:04

No. 1) The time for trying them was 2012. That ship has sailed. 2) Hardly anyone in a larger venue would even recognize them. They'd be set momentum death. 3) I really don't like those new Jagger vocals and lyrics grafted onto old tracks for the Exile bonus disc. Bad idea, poorly executed.

Date: July 19, 2018 14:51

On big stadium shows they are not gonna work, I agree. But if there are some arena shows in the future they could nicely fit it.
It is always risky to complete tracks many years later. But both tracks sound reasonably well, IMHO. Jagger is exaggerating a little but he does that j the studio quite often recently (also on Blue and Lonesome).

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: July 20, 2018 02:31

jumpingjackflash5
Great ballads! Stones should play them on the next tour.

Just saying ….
pass the pipe....

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 20, 2018 14:42

Sorry, "Following The River" is horrible IMHO.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 20, 2018 20:19

i wasnt against hearing told tracks 'finished' by the writer(s) as it's always ineteresting to hear what was possibly intended, (or even what the original paticipants could bring to revisiting it)

BUT id want the 'original' demo/recording presented too. THAT would then make more presentational sense on with a boxset/expanded reissure, and also it may possibly have brought a dif angle to come off in the initial thought process from the viewers first listen.

For me that way i could try and understand the creative/thought process everyone now has, compared to then. That way id have more appreciation of the effort involved - even if the end results werent as successful as you might have hoped

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: July 31, 2018 18:26

Why don’t the Stones take a hint from Metallica regarding setlists:

“Each time the band returns to a city, drummer Lars Ulrich analyzes the last decade or so worth of performances in that area. He changes six to eight of the songs in the setlist to give audiences a different experience, Ulrich told radio station 97.9 Baltimore in 2017. He also looks at the songs that are playing on the radio in that area. … Ulrich has been doing that since around 2003, and the band hasn’t repeated a setlist since. Insights from Spotify would certainly help to that end.”

They could put Chuck in charge of it.

set lists based on local Spotify data

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 31, 2018 23:43

This would be an ideal set list IMO:

Street Fighting Man
if You Can't Rock Me
Stray Cat Blues
Monkey Man
Heartbreaker
Parachute Woman
Jigsaw Puzzle
19th Nervous Breakdown
Dandelion
Ruby Tuesday
Child of The Moon
HTW
Happy
Coming Down Again
CYHMK
Memory Motel
Winter
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
SMU
Brown Sugar
JJ Flash
The Last Time

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: August 1, 2018 00:37

I would lose my mind if heard the stones did jigsaw puzzle,dont care where it was are what country they were in, even if was just rehearsed, same goes with dandelion

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 1, 2018 00:49

HomerSimpson

“Each time the band returns to a city, drummer Lars Ulrich analyzes the last decade or so worth of performances in that area. He changes six to eight of the songs in the setlist to give audiences a different experience, Ulrich told radio station 97.9 Baltimore in 2017. He also looks at the songs that are playing on the radio in that area. … Ulrich has been doing that since around 2003, and the band hasn’t repeated a setlist since. Insights from Spotify would certainly help to that end.”

A Stones setlist based on Spotify would look like this:

- 17/21 songs from Hot Rocks (every song from it is on the Stones Spotify Top 20, except Time Is On My Side, Mothers Little Helper, Heart Of Stone and Midnight Rambler)

- Plus Beast Of Burden, Angie and Start Me Up

That's the Stones Top 20 from Spotify, actually there's no song past 1981 on the Top 40 either.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 1, 2018 04:32

Midnight Toker
This would be an ideal set list IMO:

Street Fighting Man
if You Can't Rock Me
Stray Cat Blues
Monkey Man
Heartbreaker
Parachute Woman
Jigsaw Puzzle
19th Nervous Breakdown
Dandelion
Ruby Tuesday
Child of The Moon
HTW
Happy
Coming Down Again
CYHMK
Memory Motel
Winter
Rocks Off
Gimme Shelter
SMU
Brown Sugar
JJ Flash
The Last Time
Pass the Pipe

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 1, 2018 09:53

I miss live performances of:

Till The Next Goodbye

Citadel

Time Waits For No One

I Don't Know Why (Metamorphosis)

Doncha Bother Me

Coming Down Again

Winter

Baby Break It Down

100 Years Ago

Mona

Confessin' The Blues

Date: August 1, 2018 14:53

georgelicks
HomerSimpson

A Stones setlist based on Spotify would look like this:

- 17/21 songs from Hot Rocks (every song from it is on the Stones Spotify Top 20, except Time Is On My Side, Mothers Little Helper, Heart Of Stone and Midnight Rambler)

- Plus Beast Of Burden, Angie and Start Me Up

That's the Stones Top 20 from Spotify, actually there's no song past 1981 on the Top 40 either.

It doesn't say that they take the top 20 songs on Spotify and make the set list out of those top 20.

It says " ....analyzes the last decade or so worth of performances in that area. He changes six to eight of the songs in the setlist to give audiences a different experience ...."

and "Insights from Spotify would certainly help to that end.”

If Metallica took their top 20 songs from Spotify,I doubt that they would be changing 6 to 8 songs every time they return to an area.

But,according to your post,under a Spotify top 20 set list,at least we would get "Play with Fire" instead of a set list like the one from Prague last month with all of the same stuff repeated except for 1 blues cover. (The same as one of the two blues performed in 2017.)

Date: August 1, 2018 15:10

HomerSimpson

The Stones actually used to do the exact same thing. The stated such in the "According to the Rolling Stones" book.

However,they have obviously given up on the idea for the most part ..... over the last decade plus.

And Chuck was at least heavily involved in it. He told me that they do (or did back then) look at radio airplay data in the areas where they are going to be performing.

Also he said that they look back at past set lists dating as far back as 1981 to avoid repeating songs in the same areas.

But,they either gave up on the strategy entirely,or they only look back to 1 prior concert in an area to find one or two songs that they didn't play the previous time.

For example,they should be able to see that "Waiting On a Friend" gets played on the radio in the Boston area and also they should be able to see that they have never performed the song in Boston and add it in to the set list.

2019 Stones tour opening song
Posted by: illyad ()
Date: September 30, 2018 01:15

I know the set list topic is like beating a dead horse here but in the event Jagger or one of his assistants read this, consider a new opener. It has become very stale the current opening tunes (JJF, SMU, et al). With all the recorded tunes the Stones have why not change this song? A good suggestion would be "Rip this Joint". Its fast, it would be a surprise and it gives the Stones the opportunity to play an otherwise lost Exile song. "Respectable" would be another excellent song to use as an opener. One cannot smile at the irony everytime this song gets a live airing.

Re: 2019 Stones tour opening song
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: September 30, 2018 01:24

Roll over B
One hit
Dance little sister
Hang fire
Jig-Saw Puzzle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-30 01:26 by mariano.

Date: September 30, 2018 01:39

A cover version of Chuck Berry's "Come On" was the Rolling Stones' first single, released on 7 June 1963.

Why not start there?

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 30, 2018 01:51

It’s all over now

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 30, 2018 02:12

Let it Rock

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 30, 2018 02:34

Surprise Surprise .....................

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 30, 2018 03:15

Highway child

Date: September 30, 2018 03:27

Route 66

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2018 03:32

Something off the as yet unconfirmed/unreleased/untitled new album...something to catch everyone by surprise...something catchy that rocks hard...

HIT THE WALL!!! hot smiley

If not, I wouldn't mind Satisfaction as the opener, but keep it short and sweet - similar to the Charlie is My Darling version from '65:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Ireland 1965

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 30, 2018 04:03

Paint It Black

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: September 30, 2018 04:15

Time is on my side

Keith plays that little opening riff and then the boys join in!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home