Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: February 13, 2023 11:58

I was really surprised that they didn't play MLH last year after such a tight rehearsal.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 13, 2023 12:06

I hope they play more than one song from the new album. Otherwise it doesn't matter. They are on the home stretch now. The time for heated setlist discussions is waning.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 13, 2023 12:15

Stoneage
I hope they play more than one song from the new album. Otherwise it doesn't matter. They are on the home stretch now. The time for heated setlist discussions is waning.

Not so sure about that ...you could argue that as time is running out to hear the stuff you've craved for years...the "discussions" will be more desperate than ever !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-13 12:15 by Spud.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: February 23, 2023 00:17

Congratulations
I was really surprised that they didn't play MLH last year after such a tight rehearsal.

Me as well.. The sound check sounded pretty good & I thought it would def make an appearance

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: February 23, 2023 00:27

snoopy2
Congratulations

Me as well.. The sound check sounded pretty good & I thought it would def make an appearance

Me too. It's interesting too, because didn't Chuck say in an interview leading up to the 60th that they were practicing a song that hasn't been played since 1966 (that would be MLH)...seems like there was an intention to play it.

Posted by: PinballWizard23 ()
Date: February 23, 2023 02:47

Has one hit to the body really not been played since 89? If true would love to see them do it again.

Posted by: scotmw65 ()
Date: February 23, 2023 04:01

Mother's little helper is overdue. Would love ro hear Ride on, baby, Down in the hole, Winter,and Look what you've done, and Short and Curlies.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: February 23, 2023 04:12

I have said before every tour, that they should open up with "Time is on my side". Hope this time it becomes true!!

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: March 26, 2023 00:57

Bring back Brown Sugar and get rid of Ghost Town for good...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-26 00:59 by daniel t.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 27, 2023 00:16

For my own amusement I keep fantasising about them kicking off with something totally unexpected. That would be fantastic for those of us into the deep cuts, but would really p*** off the vast majority of fans more familiar with the big hits. So unlikely its ever gonna happen. and quite logically so too. Got to give the people what they want. Or at least the vast majority of people.

But, for what its worth, my top twenty completely unexpected/left field/wacko opening tracks would be

Off The Hook
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby
Route 66
Down The Road Apiece
Hand Of Fate
Silver Train
Bye Bye Johnny
Oh Baby We got A Good Thing Going
hold On To Your Hat
Jiving Sister Fanny
Respectable
When The Whip Comes Down
Rip This Joint
Where The Boys Go
Dance Little Sister
I Go Wild
Sparks Will Fly
Brand New Car
Driving Too Fast
Around and Around

Crazy choices? Yes they are. Unlikely to appeal to many other fans? Almost certainly not! But I was always kinda nutty anyway...

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 27, 2023 02:02

GerardHennessy
For my own amusement I keep fantasising about them kicking off with something totally unexpected. That would be fantastic for those of us into the deep cuts, but would really p*** off the vast majority of fans more familiar with the big hits. So unlikely its ever gonna happen. and quite logically so too. Got to give the people what they want. Or at least the vast majority of people.

But, for what its worth, my top twenty completely unexpected/left field/wacko opening tracks would be

Off The Hook
Route 66
Down The Road Apiece
Hand Of Fate
Silver Train
Bye Bye Johnny
hold On To Your Hat
Jiving Sister Fanny
Respectable
When The Whip Comes Down
Rip This Joint
Where The Boys Go
Dance Little Sister
I Go Wild
Sparks Will Fly
Brand New Car
Driving Too Fast
Around and Around

Crazy choices? Yes they are. Unlikely to appeal to many other fans? Almost certainly not! But I was always kinda nutty anyway...

crazy?

not at all that sounds awesome and would undoubtedly appeal to a vast majority of us here on iorr not just the crazy few (though admittedly it would probably bore most casual fans)

forget opening numbers if they played that list (plus too much blood) as a setlist most of the people on this site would sell there homes, blood and organs just to see itgrinning smiley

Date: March 27, 2023 02:50

ProfessorWolf
GerardHennessy

Off The Hook
Route 66
Down The Road Apiece
Hand Of Fate
Silver Train
Bye Bye Johnny
hold On To Your Hat
Jiving Sister Fanny
Respectable
When The Whip Comes Down
Rip This Joint
Where The Boys Go
Dance Little Sister
I Go Wild
Sparks Will Fly
Brand New Car
Driving Too Fast
Around and Around

crazy?

not at all that sounds awesome and would undoubtedly appeal to a vast majority of us here on iorr not just the crazy few (though admittedly it would probably bore most casual fans)

forget opening numbers if they played that list (plus too much blood) as a setlist most of the people on this site would sell there homes, blood and organs just to see itgrinning smiley

Thank you my friend.

Yes of course, Too Much Blood should indeed be there. And I forgot to include All Over Now, the number that made me a Stones fan all those years ago, and that they only rarely, if ever, play nowadays. When it came on my tiny transistor radio all those years ago it totally captivated me. I had never heard such SWAGGER, such arrogance, and such insouciance in anything ever before. The dualling twin leads of Keith and Brian Jones opened up a world I had never seen before, and have never wanted to leave ever since.

Date: March 27, 2023 04:54

GerardHennessy
ProfessorWolf
GerardHennessy

Off The Hook
Route 66
Down The Road Apiece
Hand Of Fate
Silver Train
Bye Bye Johnny
hold On To Your Hat
Jiving Sister Fanny
Respectable
When The Whip Comes Down
Rip This Joint
Where The Boys Go
Dance Little Sister
I Go Wild
Sparks Will Fly
Brand New Car
Driving Too Fast
Around and Around

crazy?

Thank you my friend.

Yes of course, Too Much Blood should indeed be there. And I forgot to include All Over Now, the number that made me a Stones fan all those years ago, and that they only rarely, if ever, play nowadays. When it came on my tiny transistor radio all those years ago it totally captivated me. I had never heard such SWAGGER, such arrogance, and such insouciance in anything ever before. The dualling twin leads of Keith and Brian Jones opened up a world I had never seen before, and have never wanted to leave ever since.

for me it was my moms very worn childhood mono copies of flowers and between the buttons and after that i was hooked and bought my first stones album a bigger bang and i was hooked even more

but though i feel we both came at this obsession from very different eras and angles you are likely older then me (i was born the exact day that sex drive was released in the us) and have different opinions about them and there music

at least we can both agree that the time has come for too much blood to make its live debutwinking smiley

and if they tour in the fall it not inconceivable that they'll have a show near or on halloween so....grinning smiley

Date: March 27, 2023 12:17

ProfessorWolf
GerardHennessy
ProfessorWolf
GerardHennessy

Off The Hook
Route 66
Down The Road Apiece
Hand Of Fate
Silver Train
Bye Bye Johnny
hold On To Your Hat
Jiving Sister Fanny
Respectable
When The Whip Comes Down
Rip This Joint
Where The Boys Go
Dance Little Sister
I Go Wild
Sparks Will Fly
Brand New Car
Driving Too Fast
Around and Around

crazy?

Thank you my friend.

for me it was my moms very worn childhood mono copies of flowers and between the buttons and after that i was hooked and bought my first stones album a bigger bang and i was hooked even more

but though i feel we both came at this obsession from very different eras and angles you are likely older then me (i was born the exact day that sex drive was released in the us) and have different opinions about them and there music

at least we can both agree that the time has come for too much blood to make its live debutwinking smiley

and if they tour in the fall it not inconceivable that they'll have a show near or on halloween so....grinning smiley

Totally correct. I'm old enough to be your grand-dad. But that is what makes The Stones so unique. A love and admiration for the band that transcends generations, geographical distance, cultures, nationalities. The whole nine yards...

I am not locked into any one era of The Stones and enjoy things on every single album they ever released from 'England's Newest Hitmakers...' as you know it in the US, right up to Blue & Lonesome, And then there are those recordings, never officially released, that I have spent a small fortune on chasing down and buying over the years. And I don't regret one second, or one penny, of that time and cost.

The warhorses will, understandably, dominate The Stones set-lists from here on. That is what the overwhelming number of fans will want to hear. And the constant reappearances of Hot Rocks on the Billboard 200 - 400 plus weeks and counting on last entry - demonstrates as much. It would be lovely to get a few gigs with a slew of the types of tracks my list contains, but that won't happen. Sadly. But you might well get Too Much Blood, or maybe Dancing With Mr D, or Moonlight Mile at Hallow'een. Although I think it is more likely you will get You Got Me Rockin' - 'I was a butcher cutting up meat. My hands were bloody, I'm dyin' on my feet' - for your fix of the red stuff..

Final point - my warmest musical respects to your mom for her impeccable taste in purchasing BtB and Flowers. I'm assuming you had the US version of BtB which exchanged Please Go Home and Backstreet Girl (UK) for Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend The Night Together (US), making what I think was a more coherent album for you guys. Flowers was never released here at the time, containing as it did several tracks that London Records held back from earlier US album releases, but which had been released here in the UK. I have always felt that US fans were exploited quite appallingly by London Records who figured out all kinds of ways to release fewer tracks on a greater number of separate albums, making much more money for themselves in the process.

For all of that, cobbled together or not, Flowers works really well, and feels like a single coherent album in its own rite. But i'm getting all expansive now. Forgive me. Never give an aged Stones fan the time to reminisce. They really don't know when to stop...

Date: March 27, 2023 13:53

thanks mom does have good taste

she bought those records when she was ten in 1967 at the sears in tacoma washington with the money she earned from picking blackberries for her neighbor

then played them to death on her cheap suitcase record player (which tracked at 4.5 grams!)

and i've since purchased good condition original copies of btb and flowers (mono and stereo) and a good condition original mono copy of the british version of btb (which i prefer)

i really think too much blood would work well onstage as a replacement for ghost town (since they will never drop miss you) i think mick would have a lotta fun with it and the audience would like it too

i mean if the casual fans can get into a decently obscure song like out of time then i'm sure they can win them over with too much blood as well

Date: March 27, 2023 14:42

ProfessorWolf
thanks mom does have good taste

she bought those records when she was ten in 1967 at the sears in tacoma washington with the money she earned from picking blackberries for her neighbor

then played them to death on her cheap suitcase record player (which tracked at 4.5 grams!)

and i've since purchased good condition original copies of btb and flowers (mono and stereo) and a good condition original mono copy of the british version of btb (which i prefer)

i really think too much blood would work well onstage as a replacement for ghost town (since they will never drop miss you) i think mick would have a lotta fun with it and the audience would like it too

i mean if the casual fans can get into a decently obscure song like out of time then i'm sure they can win them over with too much blood as well

I agree. 'Blood' is an excellent track, and could, and should replace Ghost Town now. It would be a blast!

I like the Undercover album a lot. Most of my friends don't, as they see it as a Mick album rather than a Keith album! I like the more funk-driven sound with Bobby Keys prominent. Too Much Blood is my third favourite track on it, behind Beat Up and Must Be Hell. But they are all pretty close together on my personal chart...

I'm fascinated that you prefer the UK version of BtB, as I do. All my US friends much prefer the US version because of the hits. Personal taste is such an individual thing. Long may it continue.

Date: March 27, 2023 15:31

i love undercover too (but i'm one of those rare fans that likes all there albums)

as for my preference for the british btb that comes down to my view that it sounds more cohesive without the tacked on hits

and i also prefer the british version of aftermath as well but don't have it on vinyl yet

i do have the 80's west german made cd though for the stereo and the mono version from the mono box thanks to the librarywinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-27 15:37 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 27, 2023 16:20

I also prefer the UK BTB, but that might be because Flowers is one of my favorite albums, and I do love the songs included on it. I don't need Ruby on BTB if I have it on Flowers.

I'd love for them to open with One Hit. Have so many I'd love to hear:

Winter
Hand of Fate
Almost Hear You Sigh
Thru & Thru
Ride On, Baby
Sittin On A Fence
Blue Turns To Grey
Mother's Little Helper
Just Wanna See His Face
Hang Fire
Let Me Go
Lowdown
Out Of Time
Tell Me
Moonlight Mile

Date: March 27, 2023 17:22

VoodooLounge13
I also prefer the UK BTB, but that might be because Flowers is one of my favorite albums, and I do love the songs included on it. I don't need Ruby on BTB if I have it on Flowers.

I'd love for them to open with One Hit. Have so many I'd love to hear:

Winter
Hand of Fate
Almost Hear You Sigh
Thru & Thru
Ride On, Baby
Sittin On A Fence
Blue Turns To Grey
Mother's Little Helper
Just Wanna See His Face
Hang Fire
Let Me Go
Lowdown
Out Of Time
Tell Me
Moonlight Mile

I would love ANY of these. And I'm feeling a special buzz for Tell Me which was, of course, a single release Stateside. I have always had a fondness for it, even though it was never especially regarded here in the UK. It was the first song Mick and Keith actually completed. Or so the story goes. At the time it was claimed that their manager, Andrew Loog Oldham, kept them kept them locked in a room until they produced something worth recording. The story is probably apocryphal but has become part of The Stones legend. As so much else also has. The claim that Keith had all his blood changed in Switzerland, and also that he smoked his father's ashes, are two others that I love.

Got to love those guys!

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 27, 2023 19:55

I love hearing different stuff too, but truth is they’re all great songs and it makes me just as happy to watch new fans going crazy over hearing stuff for the first time (see video link)

Young Stones Fans

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 28, 2023 21:34

MisterO
I have said before every tour, that they should open up with "Time is on my side". Hope this time it becomes true!!

That already had it's emotional day on the 81/82 tour. It was felt at the time that they had gone on forever, but they were defying time.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: April 4, 2023 23:25

If they do and guest spot it would be fun to see a Mick and Magic Dick duet of Whammer Jammer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-04 23:26 by josepi.

Date: April 5, 2023 10:15

i think they should open with a chuck berry song again

preferably let it rock or maybe around and around

and then go straight into a good rocker from the new album

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 6, 2023 19:29

Was listening to Moana again the other day, and I really think this would be a great addition to the setlist. They might even be able to pull it off as an opener, but at the very least as a replacement for Miss You after Keef's set.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2023 17:00

snoopy2
I love hearing different stuff too, but truth is they’re all great songs and it makes me just as happy to watch new fans going crazy over hearing stuff for the first time (see video link)

Young Stones Fans

That's adorable.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: April 10, 2023 11:45

daniel t
Bring back Brown Sugar and get rid of Ghost Town for good.

Please do and please don't.

Date: April 10, 2023 12:45

mkbbcmr
daniel t
Bring back Brown Sugar and get rid of Ghost Town for good.

Please do and please don't.

I don't care if they NEVER again play BS. I'm totally fed up with it. A staple of set lists forever. BUT I totally accept others love it to death and can't get enough of it. C'est la vie good people.

What I do hope is they - just once - push past the outplayed warhorses and play a dozen or so left field choices. Then record the gig and let those of us who cannot go along, download it, buy it on disc, or in whatever way works best.

C'mon guys. Just once. Then go back to the tried and trusted. Play every warhorse to death for those who want to hear 'em.

Sixty two years of fandom, buying everything you ever recorded, officially and otherwise, trekking all round the world to hear you, gotta count for SOMETHING.
Just once!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 12, 2023 23:26

I would like them to play more rarities

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: September 14, 2023 03:04

I'm bored right now and haven't heard any of the new songs other than Angry, Depending On You, or Get Close, but here's my very premature guess/semi-realistic/dream setlist for the North American tour next summer.

Angry
MLH
Dice
Deep cuts on rotate “vote song slot” (including Winter, Mr D, Monkey Man, Bitch, Sway, Memory Motel, Hand of Fate, etc)
Depending On You alternate with Dreamy Skies
YCAGWYW
Live By the Sword
Deep Cut on rotate (see above)
Honky Tonk
Tell Me Straight – Keef slot
Little T&A or Coming Down Again (I wish) – Keef slot
Rambler
SMU
GS
JJF
Satisfaction

Sympathy
Rolling Stone Blues

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 6, 2023 21:09

Here's hoping they play all of the HD songs live in 2024. They could do it during a 14-show tour by playing a different HD song in the same slot every show. Realistic? Maybe not, but I think it'd be cool.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2061
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home