Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...124125126127128129130131132133134...LastNext
Current Page: 129 of 141
Re: Potencial Warhorses after SMU
Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: December 15, 2022 10:23

DandelionPowderman
Congratulations
Like A Rolling Stone, as it was their biggest post-'83 UK hit.

Also, Mixed Emotions (though unfortunately I think Mick would struggle to perform it nightly these days).

Was it a bigger hit than Harlem Shuffle? #5 in the US, #1 in New Zealand and #3 in the European Hot 100 charts.

Harlem Shuffle was a UK #13, Like A Rolling Stone got to #12... and Undercover Of The Night was #11. Perhaps all 3 would make great choices... anything but You Got Me Rocking!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-15 10:41 by Congratulations.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2022 10:24

Mixed Emotions ....
Lurved some of those soul pumpin' live versions ....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 15, 2022 10:43

Congratulations
DandelionPowderman
Congratulations
Like A Rolling Stone, as it was their biggest post-'83 UK hit.

Also, Mixed Emotions (though unfortunately I think Mick would struggle to perform it nightly these days).

Was it a bigger hit than Harlem Shuffle? #5 in the US, #1 in New Zealand and #3 in the European Hot 100 charts.

Harlem Shuffle was a UK #13, Like A Rolling Stone got to #12... and Undercover Of The Night was #11. Perhaps all 3 would make great choices... anything but You Got Me Rocking!!

That's pretty good for a live track in 1995 thumbs up

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: December 15, 2022 11:10

Warhorse is what you ride into the sunset on.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 15, 2022 11:43

Tricky. Since Start me Up was their latest true worldwide hitsong.

- Mixed Emotions
- Love is Strong
- Saint of Me
- Living in a Ghost Town

These are the only ones that have warhorse potential in my opinion.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: December 15, 2022 12:01

I'd define a warhorse a song which is also known by non Stones fans. Many people I know who aren't particular fans know the biggest hits such as Satisfaction, HTW, Angie or SMU. Asking them if they knew "newer" songs they can't say.
SMU was literally the last great successful single generating interest in the Stones also from people that hadn't been 'fans' so far.

Go and ask your friends, relatives if they knew "Love Is Strong" or "Flip The Switch" or "Rough Justice". I doubt they know. Hende, for me the last warhorse is SMU ... maybe "LIAGT" would come relatively close.

Date: December 15, 2022 12:47

Some songs have gradually turned into warhorse-status.

Songs like SFM, MR and PIB were in and out of the set for a while, but are cemented in the setlist now.

These songs could easily have stayed in the set every night and worked as warhorses. imo:

Out Of Time
Get Off Of My Cloud
Live With Me
Bitch
Dead Flowers
Rocks Off
Sweet Virginia
Star Star
Shattered
Beast Of Burden
Worried About You
Harlem Shuffle

Less known (for the general public) album tracks that could have made it:

Shine A Light
Heartbreaker
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
I Got The Blues
If You Can't Rock Me
Fingerprint File
Memory Motel
When The Whip Comes Down
Neighbours

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 15, 2022 13:06

There are a number of 60’s hits and well-known ‘Brian-era’ recordings that are rarely played, or never at all. Many of these have warhorse potential, or, at least, deserve more regular exposure on stage: Heart of Stone, It’s All Over Now, The Last Time, etc. Time is on My Side is, in my opinion, long overdue for a comeback. Why She’s a Rainbow – one of their most well-known numbers – is performed so sporadically, is a mystery, also.

Date: December 15, 2022 13:39

Big Al
There are a number of 60’s hits and well-known ‘Brian-era’ recordings that are rarely played, or never at all. Many of these have warhorse potential, or, at least, deserve more regular exposure on stage: Heart of Stone, It’s All Over Now, The Last Time, etc. Time is on My Side is, in my opinion, long overdue for a comeback. Why She’s a Rainbow – one of their most well-known numbers – is performed so sporadically, is a mystery, also.

If we're talking about '60s hits, this one needs reviving:

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 15, 2022 13:40

Saint of Me is definitely worthy of future performances. It was seemingly such a favourite during the Bridges to Babylon Tour, yet has only been performed twice on subsequent tours: both times in the Netherlands, during the European Leg of the Licks Tour in 2003.

Date: December 15, 2022 13:49

Big Al

The Last Time should definitely be a warhorse. Agree about SAR.

Date: December 15, 2022 13:58

Why they NEVER do a proper version of this is beyond me...

Paul McCartney does 'Love Me Do', despite it being a far inferior debut when compared to The Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-15 13:59 by Congratulations.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 15, 2022 17:40

If they included all of their #1 singles, the setlists would look a bit different. Is it true that they haven't had a #1 in the UK since 1969?!?!!?!?!?!

UK #1's
‘It’s All Over Now’ (1964)
‘Little Red Rooster’ (1964)
‘The Last Time’ (1965)
‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (1965)
‘Get Off My Cloud’ (1965)
‘Paint it Black’ (1966)
‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’ (1968)
‘Honky Tonk Women’ (1969)

US #1's
'(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction'
'Get Off of My Cloud'
'Paint It, Black'
'Ruby Tuesday'
'Honky Tonk Women'
'Brown Sugar'
'Angie'
'Miss You'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-17 20:30 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: December 15, 2022 19:10

Dig that Have You Seen Your Mother Baby post.. Wasn’t aware of it, rockin

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 15, 2022 20:33

Congratulations
If we're talking about '60s hits, this one needs reviving:

Assuming that is Webster Hall '93 -- I was there, and right up front!

Date: December 15, 2022 20:34

Topi
Warhorse is what you ride into the sunset on.

That's assuming you won the war! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: December 15, 2022 20:52

"Have you seen..... " is a great tune but that 80s Jagger band is awful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-15 20:53 by johnh.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2022 21:29

johnh

Yes.

Great tune, terrible band.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 16, 2022 01:01

johnh

Disagree. I think it is an alright creative 80's style re-interptetation, not like a typical nostalgic 'I hope this is enough close to the original that your grandmama recognizes it and is not hurt by it'.

Mick wasn't into pure nostalgia yet then.

To be true, this is one of those songs the Stones shouldn't even try to play now. Its energy and wildness is totally out of their scope these days. It is young man's attitude rock and roll by definition.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-16 01:12 by Doxa.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 16, 2022 03:14

Doxa
johnh

Disagree. I think it is an alright creative 80's style re-interptetation, not like a typical nostalgic 'I hope this is enough close to the original that your grandmama recognizes it and is not hurt by it'.

To be true, this is one of those songs the Stones shouldn't even try to play now. Its energy and wildness is totally out of their scope these days. It is young man's attitude rock and roll by definition.

- Doxa

Fully agree with you, Doxa. But this is Jagger solo, and some people here despise that per se, no matter what and whenever someone posts something positive about whatever Jagger solo subject - it's just a psychological thing that has nothing to do with the actual music, so in the end reacting to them is just wasted energy. Just the usual suspects doing their usual thing(y).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2022 06:25

VoodooLounge13
If they included all of their #1 singles, the setlists would look a bit different. Is it true that they haven't had a #1 in the UK since 1969?!?!!?!?!?!

UK #1's
‘The Last Time’ (1965)
‘Paint it Black’ (1966)

US #1's
'Get Off of My Cloud'
'Paint It, Black'
'Ruby Tuesday'
'Honky Tonk Women'
'Brown Sugar'
'Angie'
'Miss You'
'Living In A Ghost Town'

The one in bold was not a number one single in the US.

Date: December 16, 2022 09:49

retired_dog
Doxa
johnh

- Doxa

Fully agree with you, Doxa. But this is Jagger solo, and some people here despise that per se, no matter what and whenever someone posts something positive about whatever Jagger solo subject - it's just a psychological thing that has nothing to do with the actual music, so in the end reacting to them is just wasted energy. Just the usual suspects doing their usual thing(y).

I never quite get that negativity. For me, 'Wandering Spirit' was a better album than 'Voodoo Lounge', as well as 'Main Offender'. That one-off concert he did to promote the album saw Mick at his most inspired.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-16 11:08 by Congratulations.

Date: December 16, 2022 11:21

This is not «Jagger's 80s band», btw. The band here (in 1993) are top session players and Rip, of course.

Date: December 16, 2022 15:28

Correct, Jimmy Rip! Never heard of him before that show, but I was so impressed that I looked him up after it. I even bought his solo album a couple years later, and if I remember correctly, Mick appears on a track or two, perhaps backup vox or maybe harp, I'll have to dig that up.

Date: December 16, 2022 16:41

LeonidP
Correct, Jimmy Rip! Never heard of him before that show, but I was so impressed that I looked him up after it. I even bought his solo album a couple years later, and if I remember correctly, Mick appears on a track or two, perhaps backup vox or maybe harp, I'll have to dig that up.

As well as a fine guitarist, he is a brilliant Producer (he was responsible for Jerry Lee Lewis' 2006 'Last Man Standing' album).

Date: December 16, 2022 17:15

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

UK #1's
‘The Last Time’ (1965)
‘Paint it Black’ (1966)

US #1's
'Get Off of My Cloud'
'Paint It, Black'
'Ruby Tuesday'
'Honky Tonk Women'
'Brown Sugar'
'Angie'
'Miss You'
'Living In A Ghost Town'

It was #1 on the iTunes chart, hence the reason for its inclusion. I don't know how iTunes compares to Billboard. I'd think in this day and age that, given the number of folks who listen digitally vs. can even buy a hard-copy physical release, that this chart would matter more. What's more, a great amount of fuss was made about it being the Stones first #1 in 40 years. For these reasons, I included it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 17, 2022 06:18

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

UK #1's
‘The Last Time’ (1965)
‘Paint it Black’ (1966)

US #1's
'Get Off of My Cloud'
'Paint It, Black'
'Ruby Tuesday'
'Honky Tonk Women'
'Brown Sugar'
'Angie'
'Miss You'
'Living In A Ghost Town'

It was #1 on the iTunes chart, hence the reason for its inclusion. I don't know how iTunes compares to Billboard. I'd think in this day and age that, given the number of folks who listen digitally vs. can even buy a hard-copy physical release, that this chart would matter more. What's more, a great amount of fuss was made about it being the Stones first #1 in 40 years. For these reasons, I included it.

To put it this way - #1 on iTunes does not translate to #1 on Billboard. It can certainly coincide but it does not dictate how Billboard charts songs or albums.

What was it on the Spotify singles chart? Or Amazon singles chart? Tidal? iHeart? Etc. See how that is?

Billboard encompasses ALL but not equally. Streaming, especially a package deal like Apple Music etc, x amount a month, doesn't get counted the same as a (purchased) single or album sale.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: December 17, 2022 16:12

edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-17 16:13 by johnh.

Date: December 17, 2022 18:45

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

UK #1's
‘The Last Time’ (1965)
‘Paint it Black’ (1966)

US #1's
'Get Off of My Cloud'
'Paint It, Black'
'Ruby Tuesday'
'Honky Tonk Women'
'Brown Sugar'
'Angie'
'Miss You'
'Living In A Ghost Town'

To put it this way - #1 on iTunes does not translate to #1 on Billboard. It can certainly coincide but it does not dictate how Billboard charts songs or albums.

What was it on the Spotify singles chart? Or Amazon singles chart? Tidal? iHeart? Etc. See how that is?

Billboard encompasses ALL but not equally. Streaming, especially a package deal like Apple Music etc, x amount a month, doesn't get counted the same as a (purchased) single or album sale.

OK fair point. I'll remove it from the list. It did reach #3 on Billboard - their highest charting song since SMU. Higher than Mixed Emotions even!!!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 17, 2022 20:17

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

UK #1's
‘The Last Time’ (1965)
‘Paint it Black’ (1966)

US #1's
'Get Off of My Cloud'
'Paint It, Black'
'Ruby Tuesday'
'Honky Tonk Women'
'Brown Sugar'
'Angie'
'Miss You'
'Living In A Ghost Town'

OK fair point. I'll remove it from the list. It did reach #3 on Billboard - their highest charting song since SMU. Higher than Mixed Emotions even!!!

Not sure which billboard chart it was, but I’m 99% it wasn’t the Hot 100.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...124125126127128129130131132133134...LastNext
Current Page: 129 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home