Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...121122123124125126127128129130131...LastNext
Current Page: 126 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: July 23, 2022 23:00

Hairball
JivinSisterFanny
Hairball
Can't recall at the moment, but has All Down the Line been played yet at any of the current shows? If not, hope it makes a return.
The last I recall it was played at L.A. #2 last year, and what a fun show it was with an intense SFM as opener, and Beast of Burden as the songvote choice...

You're right; that was a great show. I think "Wild Horses" was the song vote choice (with the elusive 12-string guitar that could not be found), and "Beast of Burden"--like "All Down the Line"--was just an overdue and much appreciated alternate that they threw in. Another example of how vast and under-utilized some of their best and most appealing material is (and the energy level certainly didn't drop for those, as apparently Mick has projected)..

That's right!

And there were quite a few setlist changes between L.A. #1 and L.A. #2.

Show #1 opened with Lets Spend the Night Together, and had Rocks Off, Get Off My Cloud, and Ruby Tuesday in the set.
Show #2 opened with Street Fighting Man, and also had All Down the Line, Beast of Burden, and Wild Horses in the set.
Keith also changed his mini-set with Connection and Slipping Away the first night, followed by Connection and Before They Make Me Run the next night.

Hard to pick a favorite between the two shows as they were both fun, and the multiple changes in the setlist made them both unique.
They really should change every show that much from one night to the next vs. the one (or maybe two) minor changes they've been settling on.

There is certainly that flexibility in a situation like LA, when there are two shows--or Lyon and Paris, which could have a lot of the same audience. Keith has what, five songs in rotation for his pair? Always room to mix that up, too, because I bet “Before they Make me Run” is as familiar as “T&A” or “Wanna Hold You” to most of the audience. And, incidentally, is it me, or does “Happy” appear regularly at the beginning of tours and then just drop out?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2022 23:12

JivinSisterFanny
Hairball
JivinSisterFanny
Hairball
Can't recall at the moment, but has All Down the Line been played yet at any of the current shows? If not, hope it makes a return.
The last I recall it was played at L.A. #2 last year, and what a fun show it was with an intense SFM as opener, and Beast of Burden as the songvote choice...

You're right; that was a great show. I think "Wild Horses" was the song vote choice (with the elusive 12-string guitar that could not be found), and "Beast of Burden"--like "All Down the Line"--was just an overdue and much appreciated alternate that they threw in. Another example of how vast and under-utilized some of their best and most appealing material is (and the energy level certainly didn't drop for those, as apparently Mick has projected)..

That's right!

And there were quite a few setlist changes between L.A. #1 and L.A. #2.

Show #1 opened with Lets Spend the Night Together, and had Rocks Off, Get Off My Cloud, and Ruby Tuesday in the set.
Show #2 opened with Street Fighting Man, and also had All Down the Line, Beast of Burden, and Wild Horses in the set.
Keith also changed his mini-set with Connection and Slipping Away the first night, followed by Connection and Before They Make Me Run the next night.

Hard to pick a favorite between the two shows as they were both fun, and the multiple changes in the setlist made them both unique.
They really should change every show that much from one night to the next vs. the one (or maybe two) minor changes they've been settling on.

There is certainly that flexibility in a situation like LA, when there are two shows--or Lyon and Paris, which could have a lot of the same audience. Keith has what, five songs in rotation for his pair? Always room to mix that up, too, because I bet “Before they Make me Run” is as familiar as “T&A” or “Wanna Hold You” to most of the audience. And, incidentally, is it me, or does “Happy” appear regularly at the beginning of tours and then just drop out?

Not too sure about Happy, but I'm pretty sure he didn't play it at all during the 2019 US mini-tour - at least he didn't at any of the fours shows I attended.
He really should play it at every show as it's his greatest tune IMO, and perhaps his most recognizable.

As for mixing up the setlists more, seems they could easily have multiple changes from one show to the next whether they're playing the same city twice or not.
With so many tunes in their arsenal, it would make it much more interesting for them, but again seems they're settled in their ways taking the easier path with minimal changes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 23:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 23, 2022 23:29

BeastyBurdeny
angee
Yes, but lately they seem to make the most changes when they do two days in the same city, assuming many might go to both shows. LA#1 and LA#2, and Chicago #1 and Chicago #2.

and HP 1 & 2

Yes!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 25, 2022 20:02

As much as I like Midnight Rambler I don't think it should be played on every show. It's usually 13 minutes long so if they removed it from the setlist they could add 2 or even 3 different songs without extending the show duration. What if instead Midnight Rambler they played a mini set with three songs ONLY from 63-65 era? Maybe it's not a bad idea for the next tour?

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 25, 2022 20:50

franzk
As much as I like Midnight Rambler I don't think it should be played on every show. It's usually 13 minutes long so if they removed it from the setlist they could add 2 or even 3 different songs without extending the show duration. What if instead Midnight Rambler they played a mini set with three songs ONLY from 63-65 era? Maybe it's not a bad idea for the next tour?

Did you watch MR from the 2nd Paris show? Mind blowing. I would never take it off the setlist. They enjoy it too much and we get a lot of Jagger Richards on that one. I love it.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 25, 2022 21:01

schwonek
franzk

Did you watch MR from the 2nd Paris show? Mind blowing. I would never take it off the setlist. They enjoy it too much and we get a lot of Jagger Richards on that one. I love it.

No, but I've heart HP1 version and it sounded pretty weak.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 25, 2022 21:18

Midnight Rambler was great on ABB-tour and had some novelty value in 2012-2014 with Taylor. Nowadays with Steve it's a bit too static sounding and doesn't swing like it used to.

It's a great song but not something you need to hear every show.

what happened to mothers little helper
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:42

the short clip from the madrid soundcheck sounded fantastic, why did they never play it? it was not even on the song voting lists... weird...

Re: what happened to mothers little helper
Posted by: sbetz ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:49

They have very little confidence in playing songs they haven't done live before or in decades, sadly.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:49

I guess it has become of 'victim' of Out Of Time's great success…
and maybe Jagger wants to avoid to sing 'what a drag it is getting old'

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:50

It just turned into a 19th nervous breakdown.

HMN

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: July 26, 2022 22:51

Out of Time worked to well they didn't dare to swap.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2022 23:41

slewan
I guess it has become of 'victim' of Out Of Time's great success…
and maybe Jagger wants to avoid to sing 'what a drag it is getting old'

Ha, brilliant deduction.

And it's not like it's a lyric buried somewhere in the song. It's a proclamation right at the start.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 26, 2022 23:46

In my opinion that would very Stonesy to sing about what a drag it is getting old. I hope they've not become that politically correct. I really think the song would come across as well as Out Of Time. Maybe they don't have confidence in it or maybe they feel there's too many Brian era songs? It's anyone's guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-26 23:48 by frankotero.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 27, 2022 00:20

guitarbastard
the short clip from the madrid soundcheck sounded fantastic, why did they never play it? it was not even on the song voting lists... weird...

"Out Of Time" is working perfect as a crowd pleaser. It is called "Never change a winning team". They do rehearse 70 or so songs before every tour. I do not understand why people expect them to play every song they try our during the rehearsals.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 27, 2022 01:32

bv
guitarbastard

"Out Of Time" is working perfect as a crowd pleaser. It is called "Never change a winning team". They do rehearse 70 or so songs before every tour. I do not understand why people expect them to play every song they try our during the rehearsals.

because we love all 70 of those songs and can NEVER get enough

and MUST hear all of them

however i realize that's not realistic

but a man can dream of hearing mlh (or too much blood) live

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 27, 2022 02:22

With only three shows left, they're now on autopilot and coasting to the finish without any more risks or surprises. The only hope left for something extraordinary is at the grand finale at Waldbühne, Berlin.
But one look at the at the grand finale US show at Hard Rock Live, Fl, with it's shortened 17 song standard setlist, one might be fooling themselves to think this will be much different, but miracles can happen I suppose.
That said, realistically the best hope is for the standard set of 19 songs w/no shortcuts, and I imagine the final encore of Satisfaction will probably be one for the ages...very emotional..."hey, hey, hey...that's what I say..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 02:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 27, 2022 02:29

Did anyone compile a list of everything rehearsed for this latest set of shows? It is interesting to look back at what what attempted in practice, but never unleashed. Hang Fire was rehearsed a bit in preparation for the A Bigger Bang Tour, I Heard It Through The Grapevine was in 2012, etc. With only a few shows to go, I fear Mothers Little Helper will join this group. Perhaps if Out of Tome hadn’t of been such a winner, they may have been more tempted by it?

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 27, 2022 04:39

bv
guitarbastard

Of those 70-80 they rehearse how many do they typically play during a tour (or mini-tour winking smiley)?

Hard to be greedy as we’re lucky they’re still around and rocking, but if they rehearse that many different songs, I’d think they’d try to mix a few more in. It’s not like they’re afraid of botching songs.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2022 04:47

It won't be a surprise on future tours that a song like Paint It Black is dropped because Keith won't be able to have the dexterity to perform it. Gimme Shelter is another one. Even something like Waiting On A Friend.

Certainly other songs as well, although mostly ones they won't, haven't or don't play. Some of the riffage he has trouble with, like CYHMK.

It's not just his fingers. There are timing issues. Things don't connect the way they used to. It's just age on top of damage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2022 07:18

GasLightStreet
It won't be a surprise on future tours that a song like Paint It Black is dropped because Keith won't be able to have the dexterity to perform it. Gimme Shelter is another one. Even something like Waiting On A Friend.

Certainly other songs as well, although mostly ones they won't, haven't or don't play. Some of the riffage he has trouble with, like CYHMK.

It's not just his fingers. There are timing issues. Things don't connect the way they used to. It's just age on top of damage.

Well if they can't play Paint it Black or Gimme Shelter, I think they'd call it a day. What do you think the end point will be, less than 5 years?

I can't see them doing it past their mid-80s. I know several spry in their late 70s and early 80s that sort of hit a wall around 85. Year to year can become a completely different ball game.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 27, 2022 12:00

85 is my max for keith and that's stretching him to his limits

more realistically i'd say 2025-26 being it for him

mick though who knows

maybe 90 or above

but of course not at the level he's performing at today

or perhaps he could perform as well as he does today for a shorter period of time per show

ronnie?

let's just hope he gets a couple more years with his girls

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 27, 2022 14:15

bv
guitarbastard

well its been played at a soundcheck, and that normaly means it will be played life or at least its in the closer selection. otherwise it makes no sense playing it at a soundcheck. they alsow switch LSTNT and 19NB for instance... and why you think moving threads to other threads is helpful for users is another mistery! ;-)

Posted by: bluenote ()
Date: July 27, 2022 14:47

There is a setlist posted by Ronnie! But is it tonight's one?? It is on his IG page. But 21 songs, so I don't think so...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 14:49 by bluenote.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 27, 2022 15:05

bluenote
There is a setlist posted by Ronnie! But is it tonight's one?? It is on his IG page. But 21 songs, so I don't think so...

It's from Soldier Field #2 2019

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 27, 2022 20:29

ProfessorWolf
85 is my max for keith and that's stretching him to his limits

more realistically i'd say 2025-26 being it for him

mick though who knows

maybe 90 or above

but of course not at the level he's performing at today

or perhaps he could perform as well as he does today for a shorter period of time per show

ronnie?

let's just hope he gets a couple more years with his girls

The Rolling Stones will not be performing together onstage in their mid-80’s. One - or more - of them will pass before then. If not, they’ll be alive, but incapable of completing a show competently. Considering the latter: there’s no way that Mick would allow that. His longevity is legendary. I hope he won’t hinder that. Keith’s hanging-on, in my opinion. It’s always blissful joy to catch him ‘live’, but...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 27, 2022 21:46

Big Al
Did anyone compile a list of everything rehearsed for this latest set of shows? It is interesting to look back at what what attempted in practice, but never unleashed. Hang Fire was rehearsed a bit in preparation for the A Bigger Bang Tour, I Heard It Through The Grapevine was in 2012, etc. With only a few shows to go, I fear Mothers Little Helper will join this group. Perhaps if Out of Tome hadn’t of been such a winner, they may have been more tempted by it?
Here is a thought of mine . The Stones are said to rehearse about 70 songs or so for this go around . Now what if some of the tunes they play in rehearsal are for there own enjoyment ? It's not that far fetched . The Stones have been known to get down and funky with some blues jams , but hardly do they ever materialize in concert . It's to to late in the game at this point in 2022 , but wouldn't it be beyond cool if the Stones broke out Down in the Hole , or I Got the Blues or Fancy Man Blues . Say whatever you want , the Stones can get down and dirty and get as bluesey as a club on the South Side of Chicago . Think of the jam and trade off between Keith and Ronnie and Mick on his harp .

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: July 27, 2022 22:05

Damn ....I hope they live happily
All I'm hoping for is the last show on this tour to have 6 different songs

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 28, 2022 00:31

Down to 18 song setlists now. No surprise here. Will they be down to 17 by the end of next tour?

What do you all predict for their song numbers on future tours? How low will they go by the end of their careers? 15 songs and 1 hr 45 min shows?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 28, 2022 00:37

NashvilleBlues
Down to 18 song setlists now. No surprise here. Will they be down to 17 by the end of next tour?

What do you all predict for their song numbers on future tours? How low will they go by the end of their careers? 15 songs and 1 hr 45 min shows?

Possible. Eric Clapton has already reached that stage since about 2014.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...121122123124125126127128129130131...LastNext
Current Page: 126 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home