Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...120121122123124125126127128129130...LastNext
Current Page: 125 of 141
Re: Gimme Shelter
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 18, 2022 23:38

No

Date: July 18, 2022 23:40

welshphil
Were you at the Vienna concert ?

There is a thread for setlist complaints. All posts like yours ends up there, if one tries to make a new thread. Easier to search up later.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: July 18, 2022 23:48

DandelionPowderman
welshphil

There is a thread for setlist complaints. All posts like yours ends up there, if one tries to make a new thread. Easier to search up later.
OK thank you ,I honestly didn't know there was a separate thread .Vienna was a cracking show let down by a very poor Gimme Shelter .

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 19, 2022 00:41

welshphil
What happened to my post re Gimme Shelter being dropped from the set list.

I feel your pain welchphil, i love Sasha as a back up singer with Bernard but have began to loath her solo spot on GS, i've said as much a few times recently, nothing more to add other than if they can't improve or change something involving GS it needs to be dropped from the list along with SFTD and Miss You.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 19, 2022 00:44

Is Sasha going the way of Lisa, in the sense of starting to scream out her solo on GS?
(Feel free to move this post to set list or wherever.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: July 19, 2022 01:08

Angee, I have never ever heard Lisa screaming down a microphone, singing yes ,with an awesome range .But in Vienna sasha didn't even sing,she was just shouting into the microphone. All other songs in Vienna were truly great though ,especially Psint it Black

Date: July 19, 2022 02:23

<dup>

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 23:23 by angee.

Date: July 19, 2022 02:24

welshphil
Angee, I have never ever heard Lisa screaming down a microphone, singing yes ,with an awesome range .But in Vienna sasha didn't even sing,she was just shouting into the microphone. All other songs in Vienna were truly great though ,especially Psint it Black

Okay, fair enough, welshphil--I always enjoyed Lisa, but thought her performances were veering a bit far into the histrionic. I haven't heard Sasha since last year, interesting to to hear of Sasha's shouting. Some of that might be inherent in the nature of the song...?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: July 19, 2022 09:27

welshphil
DandelionPowderman
welshphil

OK thank you ,I honestly didn't know there was a separate thread .Vienna was a cracking show let down by a very poor Gimme Shelter .
i was in Vienna. Good show with a weak shelter

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 19, 2022 13:30

What was the matter with Gimme Shelter in Vienna?

Rod

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 19, 2022 13:56

I was wondering: on the original recording - who sang the uh uh at the beginning? Jagger himself?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 19, 2022 14:17

Gimme Shelter is a tough song to sing for the lead backup singer. Lisa took it to the top many times which left the audiences in awe of such totally impressive interpretations. I don't think these fantastic moments can be replicate by the band anymore.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 19, 2022 17:08

The original studio has no uh uh at the beginning.. is a second guitar. I think

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 19, 2022 17:11

KeithNacho
The original studio has no uh uh at the beginning.. is a second guitar. I think

It has both :-)

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 20, 2022 00:54

They actually dropped Gimme Shelter now..

Date: July 20, 2022 03:40

Maybe dropped just for the Lyon show. Heat factor.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 20, 2022 04:51

welshphil
DandelionPowderman
welshphil

Listening to it. Not anywhere near as bad as New Orleans 2019.

Uh... the intro in New Orleans was horrendous, not the song. But this... the song is @#$%& LOST!!!! Wow!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-20 04:56 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: July 20, 2022 06:56

I'm disappointed GS might be dropped. It is their best recorded song; although not always that great live. They rarely played it during the ABB tour - and the one time I remember it, near Fort Lauderdale FL, it was terrible, because Ronnie and Keith were playing so poorly. But since Keith and Ronnie got back to basics in 2012, it's been my favorite song to hear each concert, But I don't watch Sasha much and mostly pay attention to Keith/Ronnie (and Mick at times). I've only attended both London concerts this tour and enjoyed GS again.
So I'm hoping it gets back where it belongs for the rest of this tour - as one of the last four songs.
I can live without Brown Sugar, although I much prefer not to. But if they go forward without either GS or BS, then I'll stop travelling very far to see them.
Had to miss Lyon because of COVID, but I'm over it and leaving for Paris on Thursday.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 20, 2022 08:42

NilsHolgersson
They actually dropped Gimme Shelter now..

A metaphor to say there is no shelter anymore.

Keith,why not ”learning the game ”.....?
Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 22, 2022 10:30

....it was excellent(even Great)in Austin 2006...

Re: Keith,why not ”learning the game ”.....?
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 22, 2022 11:20

jp.M

Because in Austin Texus it was a tribute to Buddy Holly, it's not a Jagger Richards composition, It's not even a song the Stones have covered.

It was brilliant though and i for one would welcome it back.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: July 22, 2022 12:09

jp.M

thumbs up + 1

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 22, 2022 12:25

Or We Had It All?

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 22, 2022 20:00

I have seen the boys 13 times, and only 3 songs have been played at all 13 of those shows:

Jumpin Jack Flash
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up

I guess that gives an idea as to which songs the boys think are indispensable!!!

Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: July 22, 2022 20:49

Hairball
Can't recall at the moment, but has All Down the Line been played yet at any of the current shows? If not, hope it makes a return.
The last I recall it was played at L.A. #2 last year, and what a fun show it was with an intense SFM as opener, and Beast of Burden as the songvote choice...

You're right; that was a great show. I think "Wild Horses" was the song vote choice (with the elusive 12-string guitar that could not be found), and "Beast of Burden"--like "All Down the Line"--was just an overdue and much appreciated alternate that they threw in. Another example of how vast and under-utilized some of their best and most appealing material is (and the energy level certainly didn't drop for those, as apparently Mick has projected).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-22 20:52 by JivinSisterFanny.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2022 21:09

JivinSisterFanny
Hairball
Can't recall at the moment, but has All Down the Line been played yet at any of the current shows? If not, hope it makes a return.
The last I recall it was played at L.A. #2 last year, and what a fun show it was with an intense SFM as opener, and Beast of Burden as the songvote choice...

You're right; that was a great show. I think "Wild Horses" was the song vote choice (with the elusive 12-string guitar that could not be found), and "Beast of Burden"--like "All Down the Line"--was just an overdue and much appreciated alternate that they threw in. Another example of how vast and under-utilized some of their best and most appealing material is (and the energy level certainly didn't drop for those, as apparently Mick has projected)..

That's right!

And there were quite a few setlist changes between L.A. #1 and L.A. #2.

Show #1 opened with Lets Spend the Night Together, and had Rocks Off, Get Off My Cloud, and Ruby Tuesday in the set.
Show #2 opened with Street Fighting Man, and also had All Down the Line, Beast of Burden, and Wild Horses in the set.
Keith also changed his mini-set with Connection and Slipping Away the first night, followed by Connection and Before They Make Me Run the next night.

Hard to pick a favorite between the two shows as they were both fun, and the multiple changes in the setlist made them both unique.
They really should change every show that much from one night to the next vs. the one (or maybe two) minor changes they've been settling on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 01:49 by Hairball.

Date: July 23, 2022 19:32

Yes, but lately they seem to make the most changes when they do two days in the same city, assuming many might go to both shows. LA#1 and LA#2, and Chicago #1 and Chicago #2.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 23, 2022 21:16

I wrote on the Lyon page that maybe Sasha was the one that wasn’t up for doing Shelter in Lyon? After 2 hours in that heat - and that song does require some vocal gymnastics. And she did miss a show recently. It’s possible…

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2022 21:23

Could be, but more likely it was due to Mick beginning to lose his voice which many pointed out in their reviews of the show.
And he did have Covid recently resulting in a postponed show and a canceled show - seems he wanted to play it safe in Lyon and not risk having to postpone/cancel another show.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: July 23, 2022 21:29

angee
Yes, but lately they seem to make the most changes when they do two days in the same city, assuming many might go to both shows. LA#1 and LA#2, and Chicago #1 and Chicago #2.

and HP 1 & 2

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...120121122123124125126127128129130...LastNext
Current Page: 125 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home