Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 141
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 4, 2022 16:52

I still regard Mick's conversation with Elton John about Madonna in "Being Mick" as one of the most revealing when it comes to set lists. When there's something unfamiliar being played, the energy level of the audience drops. It's just a fact. And when the Stones play a stadium, they want people jazzed up to the max from beginning to end. So the setlist has mostly settled into the same warhorses. People like to drink and sing along to their favorite songs with their friends. I get it and appreciate it. I'm glad the warhorse heavy setlist pleases the audience, but it's a bit dull in my opinion.

I still have such vivid memories of when they opened with "Not Fade Away" and how exciting and unexpected it was to hear something that sounded different.

It would have been neat for them to mix it up and make it a real celebration of all sixty years with a truly different setlist. But it is what it is.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 4, 2022 17:28

Papo
What I liked about HP2 that I had clearly no idea what song would be next,at least in the first half of the show.

Miss You and Paint it Black got the loudest cheers/ welcome from the crowd.

True. And not only is Miss You enormously popular with the crowd: it serves a similar purpose to Keith's set because it gives Keith a chance for a necessary short break. He was back on stage quite quickly last night but sometimes it takes a while. If they drop it, they need to find another song that does that job.

Yes, it makes an interesting change to have no idea what to expect next.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 4, 2022 18:06

jahisnotdead
I still regard Mick's conversation with Elton John about Madonna in "Being Mick" as one of the most revealing when it comes to set lists. When there's something unfamiliar being played, the energy level of the audience drops. It's just a fact. And when the Stones play a stadium, they want people jazzed up to the max from beginning to end. So the setlist has mostly settled into the same warhorses. People like to drink and sing along to their favorite songs with their friends. I get it and appreciate it. I'm glad the warhorse heavy setlist pleases the audience, but it's a bit dull in my opinion.

Isn't there a difference between American and European audiences? I think that in Europe audiences are more willing to listen to a somewhat obscure song than in America. Why did people obviously accept a song like Out of time which is certainly not one of their classic hits? Would they walk out during Lady Jane oder Mothers little helper? Would the energy level drop if they played a catchy rarity like Ride on baby (talking only about some songs from the 60s)? You could do the same exercice about songs from the 70s or 80s. Could the Stones still play Love in vain like they did many years ago and people would stay?

Of course this implies that those songs are interspersed with the big hits which people are waiting for. If you did a set of 'B-sides and rarities' they would have to do a specially announced concert in a small club. But I think that would be far too late now...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 18:09 by saltoftheearth.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: July 4, 2022 19:08

saltoftheearth
jahisnotdead
When there's something unfamiliar being played, the energy level of the audience drops. It's just a fact. And when the Stones play a stadium, they want people jazzed up to the max from beginning to end. So the setlist has mostly settled into the same warhorses. People like to drink and sing along to their favorite songs with their friends. I get it and appreciate it. I'm glad the warhorse heavy setlist pleases the audience, but it's a bit dull in my opinion.

I still have such vivid memories of when they opened with "Not Fade Away" and how exciting and unexpected it was to hear something that sounded different.

Isn't there a difference between American and European audiences? I think that in Europe audiences are more willing to listen to a somewhat obscure song than in America. Why did people obviously accept a song like Out of time which is certainly not one of their classic hits? Would they walk out during Lady Jane oder Mothers little helper? Would the energy level drop if they played a catchy rarity like Ride on baby (talking only about some songs from the 60s)? You could do the same exercice about songs from the 70s or 80s. Could the Stones still play Love in vain like they did many years ago and people would stay?

Of course this implies that those songs are interspersed with the big hits which people are waiting for. If you did a set of 'B-sides and rarities' they would have to do a specially announced concert in a small club. But I think that would be far too late now...

It might be different, but I'm sure the general audience would welcome "Not Fade Away" as it's a well-known hit.
Same would apply to "The Last Time" or "It's All Over Now". And has also been proved with "Out Of Time", which was a big hit for Chris Farlowe back in the day, so isn't really obscure.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2022 20:04

19 songs setlist of which 13 are always the same. Leaves you with 6 songs that are either fresh or rarely played. All in the first third of the setlist.
The change of opener for the second Hyde Park song was a little bit of a surprise though.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: July 4, 2022 21:00

The only warhorse that ive grown a bit tired off is Rambler.
Its great but its been played on every show since 2012 i think.

And in the shows ive seen its never been the crowds favorite either.

I still wanna see it, ideally they could rotate Rambler, CYHMK, Memory Motel, Out Of Control and even if its 70% of the time Rambler it dosent matter it would add another surprise which "jam" song are they gonna do tonight.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 5, 2022 08:01

jahisnotdead

Unlike U2, The Rolling Stones stopped challenging their audience in 1989. They eventually worked more songs in but from the top, no.

They've been that way ever since.

That's on Mick. He's the one that compared what they do to "The Beach Boys" touring the same old songs without anything new and the Stones having to have a new album to tour behind... which they now imitate "The Beach Boys" anyway.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 13, 2022 15:15

What is the most frequently played song that you have never heard live?

Here's the list to help you out with it: [www.setlist.fm]

In my case it's All Down The Line (no. 17) followed by Let's Spend The Night Together (no. 19).

Date: July 13, 2022 15:40

As it is now I consider the gig done after song 8. I would be more than happy to leave the gig then if I could get some money back by returning the ticket or selling it to someone outside.
The warhorse bonanza I could do without.

Posted by: Reus23 ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:19

franzk

In my case it's All Down The Line (no. 17) followed by Let's Spend The Night Together (no. 19).

Ruby Tuesday (no. 28)

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:35

All Down The Line.

The way they're playing the Songs this tour, I like the second half of the show as mich as the first half.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 13, 2022 20:52

franzk

Out of control - 24

Which songs would you like to be taken off the set to give room to other ones?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 13, 2022 21:06

. Miss You
. Tumbling Dice
. SFTD

I never liked Miss You
Tumbling Dice and SFTD used to rock, but IMO have lost their power and energy. Too robotic to my humble taste.

Re: Which songs would you like to be taken off the set to give room to other ones?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 13, 2022 21:08

BTW : they did good to give up IORR and BS.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: July 13, 2022 22:35

For me, I could do without Start Me Up and Midnight Rambler every night. And I'd love to see Street Fighting Man in the last half again.

But don't you guys think that the setlists of last and this year's tours have been more experimental than they've been in a long time?

I'm mean they played an outtake (!!!) a few times last year, relived 19th Nervous Breakdown and Connection and pleased us with Out Of Time this year. It seems to me they change it up more now, as each concert on this tour has seen a tour debut. In 2018 it felt like they stuck with She's A Rainbow and Like a Rolling Stone after 5 concerts haha...

Anyways, I hope that Rocks Off, CYHMK, Bitch, BOB and Ruby Tuesday will make a return and/or that Worried About You, All Down The Line, Fool To Cry and Monkey Man will join the club.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 14, 2022 07:52

franzk

Like a Rolling Stone - 30

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 14, 2022 10:17

franzk

When the Whip Comes Down - 37

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: July 14, 2022 10:24

franzk

Star Star

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 14, 2022 10:30

franzk

Shattered (#23)

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: July 15, 2022 19:37

I've been giving it a lot of thought the last few days (what could realistically be cut and what is necessary) and I think the band could drop any or all of the following (or have them in some sort of rotation): SFM, Dice, Miss You, SMU.

Date: July 15, 2022 19:48

Why give it a thought? They won't change anything in the setlist after the first 8 songs (that is the only open space for changes). Of course Keith can change his 2-set of songs but they are always the usual suspects.
You don't need a university diploma in statistics to understand this - just study the setlists on this tour, and the tours before that.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 15, 2022 20:31

Stoneage
As it is now I consider the gig done after song 8. I would be more than happy to leave the gig then if I could get some money back by returning the ticket or selling it to someone outside.

Totally agree. Whatever hope there is - and it is pretty limited hope at that - it is for some modicum of variety during the first eight numbers.After that we are in warhorse-land.

I honestly cannot understand why The Stones do not freshen things up a bit more than they do. They could include 9/10 warhorses each time and still accommodate some different material. I'm not talking about 6/7 deep cuts- I'm talking about tracks like Little Red Rooster, All Over Now, Lady Jane, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, We Love You, Dandelion - all big hits. And then there are tracks like Mixed Emotions, Ride Em On Down, Waiting On A Friend, Harlem Shuffle, Fool To Cry, Hot Stuff, Rock And A Hard Place, Doo doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker). Again some decent sized hits, and some better known album tracks. Tracks like these would be a pleasant surprise and bring a lot of pleasure to those of us who have been fans forever...

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 15, 2022 20:36

GerardHennessy
Stoneage

Totally agree. Whatever hope there is - and it is pretty limited hope at that - it is for some modicum of variety during the first eight numbers.After that we are in warhorse-land.

I honestly cannot understand why The Stones do not freshen things up a bit more than they do. They could include 9/10 warhorses each time and still accommodate some different material. I'm not talking about 6/7 deep cuts- I'm talking about tracks like Little Red Rooster, All Over Now, Lady Jane, Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, We Love You, Dandelion - all big hits. And then there are tracks like Mixed Emotions, Ride Em On Down, Waiting On A Friend, Harlem Shuffle, Fool To Cry, Hot Stuff, Rock And A Hard Place, Doo doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker). Again some decent sized hits, and some better known album tracks. Tracks like these would be a pleasant surprise and bring a lot of pleasure to those of us who have been fans forever...

Seriously - these are stadium gigs. Who knows Dandelion or We Love You except a bunch of a few hundred die hard fans?

What some here don't seem to understand: their setlist isn't the way it is because they are lazy or anything (they practice more than 80 songs at a rehearsal). It's determined by crowd reaction. If a rare song like Out Of Time will get a good crowd reaction, they might play it the whole tour. But if they played "Dandelion" almost nobody would sing - people would just stand there, start talking or go to the toilet. Why would they want that?

Date: July 15, 2022 20:37

They play for 50.000. Not for me. And 48.000 want to hear all the warhorses. Could be worse even if they played Brown Sugar, Angie, IORR every night instead of the 'rare' ones. Crowd would love it.

For me I am happy. I only wished they would have 1 or 2 rotation songs in the 2nd part. Just like they used to have on the B stage. Keeps the excitment alive. The only question these days is if Sympathy or GS is the first encore.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 15, 2022 20:43

PaintMonkeyManBlack
They play for 50.000. Not for me. And 48.000 want to hear all the warhorses. Could be worse even if they played Brown Sugar, Angie, IORR every night instead of the 'rare' ones. Crowd would love it.

For me I am happy. I only wished they would have 1 or 2 rotation songs in the 2nd part. Just like they used to have on the B stage. Keeps the excitment alive. The only question these days is if Sympathy or GS is the first encore.
Agree.

It's great that they changed the order of the second half for Hyde Park 1. Wouldn't mind if they would to that more often. But then again - we had a few times in the last years where Keith started a wrong song on a wrong guitar. Keeping the 2nd part of the setlist as a routine prevents things like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-15 20:44 by StonedRambler.

Date: July 15, 2022 21:28

Stoneage
Why give it a thought? They won't change anything in the setlist after the first 8 songs (that is the only open space for changes). Of course Keith can change his 2-set of songs but they are always the usual suspects.
You don't need a university diploma in statistics to understand this - just study the setlists on this tour, and the tours before that.

I'm well aware of their setlist formula that has been used extensively for years. I was stating what I think they could realistically drop, from my own perspective - which will never be entirely the same as any other fan on this board. I have no expectations of them to ever do it. I actually find it fun to speculate such things, even if they are impossible.

Date: July 15, 2022 21:34

StonedRambler
GerardHennessy
Stoneage

Seriously - these are stadium gigs. Who knows Dandelion or We Love You except a bunch of a few hundred die hard fans?

What some here don't seem to understand: their setlist isn't the way it is because they are lazy or anything (they practice more than 80 songs at a rehearsal). It's determined by crowd reaction. If a rare song like Out Of Time will get a good crowd reaction, they might play it the whole tour. But if they played "Dandelion" almost nobody would sing - people would just stand there, start talking or go to the toilet. Why would they want that?

I perfectly understand that their setlist is designed to build hype throughout the show for a stadium crowd. I was looking at it through the lens of what could be removed and have the show still work in this environment.

They don't have to play Dandelion or We Love You... they have lots of popular songs that have been proven over the years at stadium gigs that aren't current warhorses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-15 21:37 by BeastyBurdeny.

Date: July 15, 2022 21:36

SPOILER ALERT (i'll post it here not on the vienna topic)

today

sfm
lstn
td
like a rolling stone
oot
wild horses (vote)
ghost
paint it black (early!)

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 15, 2022 21:40

PaintMonkeyManBlack

today

sfm
lstn
td
like a rolling stone
oot
wild horses (vote)
ghost
paint it black (early!)

Nice spoiler from Ronnie with his insta and twitter posts

Date: July 15, 2022 21:41

Mabru
PaintMonkeyManBlack

today

sfm
lstn
td
like a rolling stone
oot
wild horses (vote)
ghost
paint it black (early!)

Nice spoiler from Ronnie with his insta and twitter posts

he does it on purpose, must be.....!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...117118119120121122123124125126127...LastNext
Current Page: 122 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home