Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 141
Re: All the casual fans
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 3, 2022 11:15

The problem isn’t the set list or the band or the “ casual fans” .

The problem is the most arrogant, spoiled, self centered fan base that has ever existed in the history of the entertainment industry.

I first saw them in 1975 so let me make a set list- by 81 maybe I’m sick of jumping Jack flash so it’s out.you want to hear a song from Some Girls, sorry saw all that in 78.
Midnight Rambler, nah -wouldnt be as good without Mick whipping the floor with his belt so don’t bring that back in 89.
Didn’t see them before 89? Too bad, by then I’d seen Honky Tonk Women dozens of times so you got Dear Doctor instead, seemed less “ Warhorse “.

There are people at these shows who weren’t even born back then and they want to see the legends play the legendary songs.
Sorry if you’re so over it because you saw 30 shows on Voodoo Lounge or whatever but its not about you.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 3, 2022 11:54

This thread belongs to the "set list" thread.

I do not understand why fans ("fans") have to complain about set lists, in so many different threads, again and again. So I will merge this thread into where it do belong pretty soon.

If you do not like your wife, you divorce her. But first you try to get her to change into the way you want her to be, like that is a smart thing to do ...

If you do not like your band, you complain, hoping they will start playing the way you want them to play, after sixty years. I am impressed. Will they change? No. Will you divorce them? No. Because you still love them!

Bjornulf

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 3, 2022 12:05

I’m still holding out for a “ nothing after 1967 “set list with 12x5 featured prominently.
If nothing else it will solve the warhorse problem.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 3, 2022 12:34

lem motlow
The problem isn’t the set list or the band or the “ casual fans” .

The problem is the most arrogant, spoiled, self centered fan base that has ever existed in the history of the entertainment industry.

I first saw them in 1975 so let me make a set list- by 81 maybe I’m sick of jumping Jack flash so it’s out.you want to hear a song from Some Girls, sorry saw all that in 78.
Midnight Rambler, nah -wouldnt be as good without Mick whipping the floor with his belt so don’t bring that back in 89.
Didn’t see them before 89? Too bad, by then I’d seen Honky Tonk Women dozens of times so you got Dear Doctor instead, seemed less “ Warhorse “.

There are people at these shows who weren’t even born back then and they want to see the legends play the legendary songs.
Sorry if you’re so over it because you saw 30 shows on Voodoo Lounge or whatever but its not about you.

Spot on, agree to all above plus we get people on here calling for JJF, HTW, SMU, SFTD, GS, MR to be dropped, that for me would be disappointing, having been a fan all my life i still must see JJF etc , when they play them right the crowd love those songs most of all, no question about it.

Maybe there is one song, ''Miss You'' i noticed that particular song slowed the momentum and balance of the Show in Madrid, but obviously it's there to stay so its long enough for a toilet brake for me, so it's all good.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 3, 2022 13:13

rollingrichard
They must get sicked and tired and bored, playing the same songs every night, for over many, many years. Especially for people being creative and loving music and art.

As I can hardly hear these songs anymore without getting bored, how must it be like to play them , everytime ? And keep looking enthousiastic, as if you have just discovered them ?

Eggzactly, but it's obvious they are never going to change it much. I saw them 10 times ... but not since 2002, for just this reason.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 3, 2022 15:24

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
They never will, but they could do a scaled down tour with mainly rarities. Hell, don’t they rehearse around 80 songs? A real treat for the hard-core fans would be nice. Even if it was a one show thing, they could record it and release it. Oh well, can’t get too greedy. Glad they’re still around and rocking!

It's called Stripped.

Yep. And I have that. Whoops! Thanks for pointing out my ignorance.

Date: June 3, 2022 15:27

Green Lady
NashvilleBlues
They never will, but they could do a scaled down tour with mainly rarities. Hell, don’t they rehearse around 80 songs? A real treat for the hard-core fans would be nice. Even if it was a one show thing, they could record it and release it. Oh well, can’t get too greedy. Glad they’re still around and rocking!

People who want a scaled down tour or smaller venues always subconsciously assume that of course they (unlike those dreadful casual fans) will still be among those able to get through the doors at a price they can afford. If it ever happened, they might be in for a nasty surprise.

Very true. Think of how many die-hards with tons of money that are Stones fans. It’d be pretty much impossible to get in.

That’s why I mentioned the record/video thing.

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 4, 2022 02:40

I've never really understood why they don't play "I'm Free", "Shine A Light" or even "She's A Rainbow."

"2000 Light Years" was the perfect deep cut to bring back in the '80's. "We Love You" might be able to get that similar treatment?

I like "Out Of Time" and "Sad Sad Sad" in the set list now. Hopefully they will stay on.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 4, 2022 15:21

Picking up on Mick's recent changes and rehearsals but going further - here's what I'd like.......

Street fighting man
19th nervous breakdown
Mother's little helper
Out of time
Child of the moon
Time waits for no one
Rocks off
All down the line
Shattered
keith
keith
Out of control
All the rage
Dance little sister
I go wild
Honky tonk women
Heartbreaker
Gimme shelter
Midnight rambler
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack flash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-04 19:04 by EddieByword.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 4, 2022 15:49

In Madrid they played ONE song released in the last 30 years.

Since it's their 60th anniversary I think they should celebrate the second half of their career by playing 4 songs every night from Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon or A Bigger Bang. Here's what a Voodoo-themed setlist could look like:

1. Street Fighting Man
2. Let's Spend The Night Together
3. 19th Nervous Breakdown
4. Mothers Little Helper
5. Out Of Time
6. Love Is Strong
7. Baby Break It Down
8. Moon Is Up
9. Out Of Tears
10. Living In A Ghost Town
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. Happy
13. Slipping Away
14. Midnight Rambler
15. Start Me Up
16. Paint It Black
17. Sympathy For The Devil
18. Jumping Jack Flash
19. Gimme Shelter
20. Satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-04 15:50 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2022 16:08

The setlists are great - for the first 8 songs of the show. From then on (9-19) it is the usual suspects, and they are the same for every show.
That pattern is not going to change so it is no use even discussing here on the forum.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 4, 2022 18:58

jahisnotdead
I've never really understood why they don't play "I'm Free", "Shine A Light" or even "She's A Rainbow."

"2000 Light Years" was the perfect deep cut to bring back in the '80's. "We Love You" might be able to get that similar treatment?

I like "Out Of Time" and "Sad Sad Sad" in the set list now. Hopefully they will stay on.

We had She's a rainbow in Burl's creek, Ore Medonte, New Jersey, Pasadena in 2019 and Atlanta 2021....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-04 19:02 by EddieByword.

Which song(s) will they drop from the set?
Date: June 4, 2022 16:20

Their days of playing 20 songs a night (I believe, just based on patterns) are most likely over. They started this 2022 tour with a 19 song set (I loved the setlist). By the end of the tour, I bet they’re down to 18 songs max (Hell, we all know they finished 2021 with a 17 song set). If that’s the case, which song do you think will be eliminated?

Re: Which song(s) will they drop from the set?
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 4, 2022 17:29

Sad, Sad, Sad

KEEP out of time in the set!!!
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 2, 2022 00:30

thank you so much for this one. everyboy loved it. please keep it for the whole tour!!!

Re: KEEP out of time in the set!!!
Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: June 2, 2022 00:31

this + Mother's Little Helper every single night would be a great idea.

Date: June 2, 2022 00:42

Out of time and mothers little helpen in munich and i will not complain about the stage anymore

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: June 2, 2022 00:49

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Out of time and mothers little helpen in munich and i will not complain about the stage anymore

Deal!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 2, 2022 00:58

My hunch is, more likely OOT and MLH will be rotated night after night.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 2, 2022 01:00

BeastyBurdeny
this + Mother's Little Helper every single night would be a great idea.

Every time, all the time!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 2, 2022 01:04

Yes, please!

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: June 2, 2022 01:06

OOT + MLH will be fantastic! Yessssssss!!!

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: June 2, 2022 01:10

maybe MLH is going to take the place of SSS (as SSS usually doesn't make it too far beyond the first few shows)

Date: June 2, 2022 02:52

I said it in the main thread, but OOT is a great choice. Now that I hear it, I wonder, why did we not realize this ages ago? What a fantastic stadium sing along number.

I mean I could see it become like "The Song" for a soccer club.
If they have the energy to ever go back to So America I think the crowd would have the stadium foundation shaking with that chorus.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-02 02:55 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 2, 2022 02:54

I have always thought it would be great in a live setting. Not sure why no one internally ever thought the same. Tons of those old 60's songs. Try A Little Harder is another one.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2022 02:55

Truly a rarity if there ever was one as it's never been played live before, and while some casual fans in attendance might not know it and get bored - PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE SETLIST!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 2, 2022 04:23

Hairball - Agreed!!!! Keep OOT in the setlist and add Mother's Littler Helper as well! From the sound of the audience, I saw one from the far away on Shidobee on a Facebook post and the audience was going wild with it!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 2, 2022 04:39

Magnificent they've added this.

Can Child of the Moon, We Love You or Dandelion be far behind?! hot smiley

Yeah OK, probably not...but great we have OOT and MLH!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 2, 2022 06:42

Just watched the video. My God, I’m stunned. I got the chills and my eyes filled with tears. Not only a true rarity but one of my all-time favorites. I just cannot believe they finally performed this wonderful song, but the audience singing along was priceless.

I’ll never forget being in Sofia, Bulgaria with my wife and daughters in July of 1992 and coming across a 3-piece street band playing this song. Now it is finally played live in Europe by the boys themselves.

KEEP IT IN THE SET!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2022 07:01

From Variety:

Rolling Stones Play ’60s Favorite ‘Out of Time’ Live for the First Time Since… Ever

The song has shown up prominently in movies like "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," but never in a Stones set list.
By Chris Willman

Out of Time

The time has come today for the Rolling Stones to introduce the 1966 song “Out of Time” into their setlist. Improbable as it may seem, given how often the song has been covered by others or licensed for the movies, the band had never performed the tune live until it showed up at the Stones’ European tour opening Wednesday night in Madrid, Spain. There was a rumor the song might show up, as eavesdroppers on tour rehearsals had heard the Stones trying out “Out of Time,” although there are typically rarities that they test during rehearsal periods that seldom or never make it onto a tour. So its actual appearance at the Metropolitano Stadium opener was considered a blessed event indeed.

Given the enduring popularity of the song among fans, some might assume it was released as a single in ’66, but that wasn’t the case after it first appeared as an “Aftermath” album cut. It was a quickie cover version by British artist Chris Farlowe — produced by Mick Jagger (with Jimmy Page on guitar)— that reached No. 1 in the U.K. later in 1966; that cover never cracked the Hot 100 in America. In 1975, a Stones version of the song was finally belatedly released as a single, albeit as it appeared in a different, patched-together form on the “Metamorphosis” compilation album put out by Allen Klein after the band was out from under his auspices. That version of the song used the backing track from the Jagger-produced Farlowe single of 1966 and featured the demo vocal Jagger recorded to guide Farlowe. But, as a single, this new creation wasn’t a hit — it peaked at No. 45 in the U.K. and No. 81 in the U.S.

So why do people imagine the Stones had a big hit with it? Beyond the fact that it’s a strong enough kiss-off that it could have been a smash, the song has been licensed a decent amount over the years for “end of an era” usage in films and TV. In Hal Ashby’s post-Vietnam drama “Coming Home” in 1978, it was used over the opening credits, a montage that mixes footage of veterans in rehabilitation with shots of the Bruce Dern character jogging on the beach, suggesting that he may be the one who’s run out of time. The song reappeared over the end credits. Much more recently, Quentin Tarantino had the entire “Metamorphosis” version play out late in the running time of 2019’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” at the start of a sort of epilogue sequence that has Leonardo DiCaprio’s character returning from a long sojourn filming overseas, with a new, counterculture look.

Although the Stones never collectively considered it worthy of a live airing until 2022, that hasn’t stopped other artists from performing it. According to setlist.fm, it has been performed by Elvis Costello, with and without the Imposters, at least 47 times, and was included on the 2011 live album “The Return of the Spectacular Singing Songbook.” (Costello sang it on tour as recently as last year.) Van Morrison is also listed as having sung it in concert at least 12 times. On record, it’s been covered by the Ramones, among others — compare the Costello and Ramones versions (videos in link).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117...LastNext
Current Page: 112 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home