Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 141
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 22, 2022 09:03

Yet another set list discussion, asking to get merged. Also, when the title is negative, "The biggest waste of setlist space 1994 to present", waste i.e. stuff you do not like, it is an easy merge.

Taste is all different. Like they should stop making blue cloths just because you do not like blue...

I do like a lot of Stones songs, but I do not feel the need to make a list of songs I do not play that often.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 22, 2022 13:08

Rarely is the question asked: Got you me rocking?

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: May 22, 2022 14:14

Fandom is as much about what we DON'T like as what we DO like. I see no problem at all with people saying what they feel might be left off the setlist. And I see no hate here, or anything like hate. What I DO see are Stones fans with very passionately held beliefs and opinions. Good luck to every single one of them.

If this site turns into some sycophantic litany of praise and adoration, where only what we like is permitted, it will lose the very vitality, irreverence, edginess and insouciance that makes The Stones themselves so amazing. Of course the band is no longer at the cutting edge of music. No longer a dynamic creative force. Or essential listening for entire swathes of the listening public. But they continue to enthrall, excite, infuriate and irritate all of us for whom a daily visit, or several visits, to this site, is such a vital part of our lives.

I want them to play Memo From Turner. They never will of course. Or Child of the Moon. Or Down Home Girl. But or as long as they survive and perform I shall live in hope. And I shall also hope I NEVER hear some of those warhorses ever again. But I know I will...

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: May 27, 2022 00:41

I'm going to take another crack at this for fun, as we are now under a week away from the first show of this new tour. This is purely for fun and I doubt this will be even close to the actual setlist.

1.NNB
2.Mother's Little Helper
3.All Down the Line
4.Dice
5.VOTE SONG
6.Bitch
7.YCAGWYW
8.Monkey Man
9.SMU
10.HTW
11.Little T&A
12.Slipping Away
13.Rambler
14.Start Me Up
15.PIB
16.Sympathy
17. JJF
18.Gimme Shelter

Encore
19.Memory Motel
20. Satisfaction

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 2, 2022 22:43

Madrid 01-06-2022:

Street Fighting Man
19th Nervous Breakdown
Sad Sad Sad
Tumbling Dice
Out Of Time
Beast Of Burden (vote song)
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Living In A Ghost Town
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Happy (Keith)
Slipping Away (Keith)
Miss You
Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
--- Band off stage
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction

Posted by: keith75 ()
Date: June 2, 2022 23:24

I wish TIME IS ON MY SIDE return to the set list Why not?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 3, 2022 01:07

Yeah and Under My Thumb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 3, 2022 06:56

The "vote" song. What a sham. Always has been. They were gonna play BOB no matter what.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 3, 2022 09:59

GasLightStreet
The "vote" song. What a sham. Always has been. They were gonna play BOB no matter what.

But in this case they didn't even need to fake. You take all the Spotify streams of the other candidates, multiply that by five, and you get the streams of "Beast of Burden". It is a very popular song these days.

- Doxa

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 10:04

Doxa
GasLightStreet

But in this case they didn't even need to fake. You take all the Spotify streams of the other candidates, multiply that by five, and you get the streams of "Beast of Burden". It is a very popular song these days.

- Doxa

The reaction from the crowd was loud when they announced Beast of Burden. And it was great!

All the casual fans
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: June 2, 2022 19:10

Why don`t The Stones vary their setlist like Springsteen or Dylan? -Because they are The Stones! Seeing The Stones is like going to a zoo. People want value for money. The act is so big. It`s just another league. Playing a lot of rarities would make them another band. "Did you get to see The Stones? -Oh, lucky you, -just before they retire!"

The choice of songs must have been thouroughly considered this time. After all, it`s the Sixty tour. Some rare tracks are only appropriate. "-But not too much", I take it. This is some kind of internal band politics. They could have gathered a whole lot of music lovers if they only had more rare tracks. A whole lot of people will stay home. -But compared to...

Re: All the casual fans
Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: June 2, 2022 19:11

Since we all know the warhorses will not be dropped I must say that the latest setlist was very impressive:

Street Fighting Man
19th Nervous Breakdown
Sad Sad Sad
Tumbling Dice
Out Of Time
Living In A Ghost Town
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Happy (Keith)
Slipping Away (Keith)
Miss You
Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
--- Band off stage
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 2, 2022 19:13

I totally agree with you. But - then why not at least mix up the order? SFM has already been the opener on the last European tour. GS and Satisfaction have already been the encores on the last European tour. Just mixing up the order a bit would already be enough for me.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: June 2, 2022 19:29

Could open with Satisfaction like 97/98

Date: June 2, 2022 19:35

tiffanyblu
Yes. But even a Start Me Up or Jumpin Jack Flash would be refreshing to hear at this point.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 2, 2022 20:10

StonedRambler
tiffanyblu
Yes. But even a Start Me Up or Jumpin Jack Flash would be refreshing to hear at this point.

Go to a Stones concert. You will hear them.

- Doxa

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 2, 2022 20:13

I suppose most of the bucket list folks went through between 2014-18. I imagine we have a lot of second and third timers

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 2, 2022 20:52

tiffanyblu

Yeah, I didn’t want to see them repeating the same opener as the last tour. This is a new tour, it was quite anticlimactic and betrayed the expectation.

Indeed Satisfaction, their biggest signature number, would work considering this is the SIXTY tour. Tumbling Dice or Honky Tonk Women could be as refreshing an opener as could be, too.

Personally I’d be curious what it would be like if they start the show with Gimme Shelter. It doesn’t work, the opener should be fast tempo and go with a bang, you may say? Basically yes — however, as an attempt to deviate from the norm, it might be interesting to see the band gradually building up the heat and then going into the full throttle mode. The song’s theme also chimes with the ongoing state of things beyond the east of Europe.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 2, 2022 20:58

noughties
Why don`t The Stones vary their setlist like Springsteen or Dylan? -

Dylan's setlist has been the same for 50 concerts or so.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 2, 2022 21:36

They never will, but they could do a scaled down tour with mainly rarities. Hell, don’t they rehearse around 80 songs? A real treat for the hard-core fans would be nice. Even if it was a one show thing, they could record it and release it. Oh well, can’t get too greedy. Glad they’re still around and rocking!

Date: June 2, 2022 22:30

RisingStone

Indeed Satisfaction, their biggest signature number, would work considering this is the SIXTY tour. Tumbling Dice or Honky Tonk Women could be as refreshing an opener as could be, too.

Personally I’d be curious what it would be like if they start the show with Gimme Shelter. It doesn’t work, the opener should be fast tempo and go with a bang, you may say? Basically yes — however, as an attempt to deviate from the norm, it might be interesting to see the band gradually building up the heat and then going into the full throttle mode. The song’s theme also chimes with the ongoing state of things beyond the east of Europe.

I think, as with Sympathy, GS would not work in the daylight. In the dark I think it could be quite cool.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2022 22:38

tiffanyblu
Since we all know the warhorses will not be dropped I must say that the latest setlist was very impressive:

Street Fighting Man
19th Nervous Breakdown
Sad Sad Sad
Tumbling Dice
Out Of Time
Living In A Ghost Town
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Happy (Keith)
Slipping Away (Keith)
Miss You
Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Paint It Black
Sympathy For The Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
--- Band off stage
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction

Imagine if the played this setlist in reverse.

Other than Sad Sad Sad being the third to last song, I think it could possibly go over very well amongst the casual fans as well as the diehards.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 00:36

The really could vary the setlist. Even for the casual fans. I mean a set like this:
1. Rocks Off
2. Bitch
3. Harlem Shuffle
4. Rough Justice
5. Don’t Stop
6. Doo Doo Doo Doo
7. Respectable
8. One More Shot
9. Undercover
10. Dancing With Mr. D
11. Emotional Rescue
12. Saint Of Me
13. She’s A Rainbow
14. Out Of Tears
15. Waiting On a Friend
16. Hot Stuff
17. Love Is Strong
18. Mixed Emotions
19. Doom And Gloom
20. Out Of Control

Looks like a fan’s deep cut list? Nope. Every track is from Honk-compilation. Not one deep cut here.

Date: June 3, 2022 00:52

padre69
The really could vary the setlist. Even for the casual fans. I mean a set like this:
1. Rocks Off
2. Bitch
3. Harlem Shuffle
4. Rough Justice
5. Don’t Stop
6. Doo Doo Doo Doo
7. Respectable
8. One More Shot
9. Undercover
10. Dancing With Mr. D
11. Emotional Rescue
12. Saint Of Me
13. She’s A Rainbow
14. Out Of Tears
15. Waiting On a Friend
16. Hot Stuff
17. Love Is Strong
18. Mixed Emotions
19. Doom And Gloom
20. Out Of Control

Looks like a fan’s deep cut list? Nope. Every track is from Honk-compilation. Not one deep cut here.
Nice try haha. But Honk honestly isn't really a greatest hits compilation. It's their try to do a greatest hits comp without songs that belong to ABKCO. But their most popular songs belong to ABKCO. That's why their biggest songs aren't even on it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 02:58

NashvilleBlues
They never will, but they could do a scaled down tour with mainly rarities. Hell, don’t they rehearse around 80 songs? A real treat for the hard-core fans would be nice. Even if it was a one show thing, they could record it and release it. Oh well, can’t get too greedy. Glad they’re still around and rocking!

It's called Stripped.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 05:31

StonedRambler
tiffanyblu

They DO often juggle JJF and Street Fighting Man.

Rod

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: June 3, 2022 07:22

They must get sicked and tired and bored, playing the same songs every night, for over many, many years. Especially for people being creative and loving music and art.

As I can hardly hear these songs anymore without getting bored, how must it be like to play them , everytime ? And keep looking enthousiastic, as if you have just discovered them ?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 3, 2022 07:50

NashvilleBlues

People who want a scaled down tour or smaller venues always subconsciously assume that of course they (unlike those dreadful casual fans) will still be among those able to get through the doors at a price they can afford. If it ever happened, they might be in for a nasty surprise.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 08:39

rollingrichard
They must get sicked and tired and bored, playing the same songs every night, for over many, many years. Especially for people being creative and loving music and art.

As I can hardly hear these songs anymore without getting bored, how must it be like to play them , everytime ? And keep looking enthousiastic, as if you have just discovered them ?

You haven't been to Madrid, haven't you? Because then you would Not assume they're tired of their own songs. Sometimes it seems to me that people are getting tired just by reading Setlists...

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: June 3, 2022 10:18

I am not assuming that they are tired of their own songs, but I wonder how it comes that they don't get tired of it. I would, if I was a creative musician.

How much challenge is there for Keith or Ronnie or Mick, to play Start me up, Miss you and Sympathy ?

I can imagine there is some challenge for them in playing Mothers Little Helper or 19th Nervous Breakdown. See how the crowd reacts, see if you can keep them rocking.

They already know by now how the crowd reacts at the warhorses.
But 6 warhorses should be more than enough, IMHO.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...106107108109110111112113114115116...LastNext
Current Page: 111 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home