Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 141
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 31, 2022 05:14

GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy
It seems crazy, and quite unnecessary, to ask for any of the warhorses, such as both of those you mention.

Nothing crazy about that. It only reveals who the average social media visitor is. Jagger is not going to read those comments. It is just the usual PR - this time through social media. Which is appealing for Jagger since it is very cheap and effortless PR. The average social media visitor only knows 2-3 Stones songs.

Yup! I'm probably the crazy one for even bothering to say what I said. You are 100% correct in your statement. The average social media user will only know 2-3 songs. Maybe a handful of users might stretch to five - Satisfaction, JJF, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and HTW. But that would be it.

I recall going to Twickenham in 2006 (I think) and overhearing animated conversations on the train ride about what the vast majority of fans hoped to hear. The tracks that featured throughout were the five I listed above. I chatted with a family beside me and suggested SFM might feature. None of them had ever even heard it. 'I don't think we know that one...'

I know of people that haven't bought a Stones album since the early 1970s that not only can't remember a lot of what they listened to but certainly don't know anything post-1971.

People are all whatever about EXILE - it's not that big of an album. It just isn't. It doesn't have a Jumpin' Jack Flash or Brown Sugar on it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 31, 2022 06:44

GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy
It seems crazy, and quite unnecessary, to ask for any of the warhorses, such as both of those you mention.

Nothing crazy about that. It only reveals who the average social media visitor is. Jagger is not going to read those comments. It is just the usual PR - this time through social media. Which is appealing for Jagger since it is very cheap and effortless PR. The average social media visitor only knows 2-3 Stones songs.

Yup! I'm probably the crazy one for even bothering to say what I said. You are 100% correct in your statement. The average social media user will only know 2-3 songs. Maybe a handful of users might stretch to five - Satisfaction, JJF, Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and HTW. But that would be it.

I recall going to Twickenham in 2006 (I think) and overhearing animated conversations on the train ride about what the vast majority of fans hoped to hear. The tracks that featured throughout were the five I listed above. I chatted with a family beside me and suggested SFM might feature. None of them had ever even heard it. 'I don't think we know that one...'

I know of people that haven't bought a Stones album since the early 1970s that not only can't remember a lot of what they listened to but certainly don't know anything post-1971.

People are all whatever about EXILE - it's not that big of an album. It just isn't. It doesn't have a Jumpin' Jack Flash or Brown Sugar on it.

Tumblin' Dice is right up there. Rocks Off is incredible. Don't know why Rocks Off didn't sell as a single.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 31, 2022 20:55

GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy

Jumpin' Jack Flash is from 1968. Satisfaction from 1965. Honky Tonk Women 1969. Alot of their best known stuff is from the 60's. And Exile - which is a fantastic album - does have Tumbling Dice. One of their most popular and best known numbers. It also includes Sweet Virginia and Rocks Off, tracks they have featured many times in concert.

Remember that back in the late 60s and early 70's The Stones rarely included singles on their albums. And rarely released album tracks as singles. In the 1960s London Records in the US released different versions of Rolling Stones albums to those released in the UK. And always added on hit singles to make the album sell more.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 31, 2022 22:34

Exile also has Happy - arguably Keith's greatest lead vocal tune (it undoubtedly is imo),
and which has been played live more than any of his other lead vocal tunes.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 31, 2022 23:04

Hairball
Exile also has Happy - arguably Keith's greatest lead vocal tune (it undoubtedly is imo),

My all time favorite Keith song! And it has a weird story to it. When they played Nijmegen (Netherlands) in 1995 at some point I was taken backstage by security people "thanks to" my reflex camera grinning smiley
I had to give my camera and films to them (at the end of the show I could pick up the camera again). Returning to my old spot to join my family and friends again, Keith started to play Happy. At the end of the song he threw his guitar pick toward me. After some searching in the dark I found it, showed it to my daughter and looked toward Keith. He faced me with his famous grinny smile. He must have noticed I was taken away by these two giant security guys and "paid" my missing my camera with his pick. Great memory!
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 31, 2022 23:09

georgie48
Hairball

My all time favorite Keith song! And it has a weird story to it. When they played Nijmegen (Netherlands) in 1995 at some point I was taken backstage by security people "thanks to" my reflex camera grinning smiley
I had to give my camera and films to them (at the end of the show I could pick up the camera again). Returning to my old spot to join my family and friends again, Keith started to play Happy. At the end of the song he threw his guitar pick toward me. After some searching in the dark I found it, showed it to my daughter and looked toward Keith. He faced me with his famous grinny smile. He must have noticed I was taken away by these two giant security guys and "paid" my missing my camera with his pick. Great memory!
smileys with beer

So awesome!

Date: April 1, 2022 02:28

georgie48
Hairball

smileys with beer

Great story georgie. smileys with beer

Happy...it's not only my favorite Keith song, but it's in my top 5 of all time greatest Stones tunes period, and has been for many years.
Something about that opening riff and all the memories it conjures up for me...and then of course the rest of the tune itself is sublime from start to finish ...
I've seen it performed so many times I've lost count, but no matter as the studio version reigns supreme over all of them imo.
Not a week goes by that I don't listen to it via cd, vinyl, youtube, or whatever...can't live without it. smiling smiley

Date: April 1, 2022 02:40

Hairball

Yes, I'm sure getting old. Otherwise how could I forget that Happy was also on Exile!!! And while I'm at it I must mention All Down The Line, which has featured on a number of concerts over the years. One track I would love to hear them play live is my own personal 'ultra-fast' Stones favourite - Rip This Joint. And what about those two AMAZING sax breaks by Bobby Keys? Now that man sure could play a horn...

Date: April 1, 2022 02:45

GerardHennessy
Hairball

Yes, I'm sure getting old. Otherwise how could I forget that Happy was also on Exile!!! And while I'm at it I must mention All Down The Line, which has featured on a number of concerts over the years. One track I would love to hear them play live is my own personal 'ultra-fast' Stones favourite - Rip This Joint. And what about those two AMAZING sax breaks by Bobby Keys? Now that man sure could play a horn...

Yes Rip This Joint would be fantastic, or would have been many years ago, but doubt they could handle it and do it justice these days.
Instead of being rambunctious and full of life, it might come across as a melancholy durge...with a faux saxophone solo....

Date: April 1, 2022 05:55

24FPS
GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy

Tumblin' Dice is right up there. Rocks Off is incredible. Don't know why Rocks Off didn't sell as a single.

I don't disagree with any of that. However, for a certain age group, EXILE doesn't exist.

They stopped listening.

It could be because they got HOT ROCKs.

It could be because they got STICKY FINGERS and that was enough.

It could be they lost interest.

It could be they stopped caring, regardless of what amount, about listening to the Stones, and moved on to something or someone else, which they definitely did anyway. Some of those people are in my family. It was just that moment... and it was gone and remains so. They don't go to the shows. In fact, NONE of them ever have. Two of my aunts know Wild Horses. They nothing past that.

My pathetic father thinks the Stones have been imitating themselves since whenever - yet he loves post-Rogers Pink Floyd and Eric Clapton.

Date: April 1, 2022 21:27

GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy

I don't disagree with any of that. However, for a certain age group, EXILE doesn't exist.

They stopped listening.

It could be they stopped caring, regardless of what amount, about listening to the Stones, and moved on to something or someone else, which they definitely did anyway. Some of those people are in my family. It was just that moment... and it was gone and remains so. They don't go to the shows. In fact, NONE of them ever have. Two of my aunts know Wild Horses. They nothing past that.

My pathetic father thinks the Stones have been imitating themselves since whenever - yet he loves post-Rogers Pink Floyd and Eric Clapton.

Don't judge to harshly on you dad, GLS. After the death of my dad I discovered that he had purchased ... the very first album of The Rolling Stones !!!
A really major surprise to me because he had always said that the Stones were a bunch of long haired troublemakers producing noise music.
My indestructable passion for the Stones must have made him curious at some point. I regret not having had the chance to figure that out. Still, the discovery in his collection produced a big, big smile on my face.
smileys with beer

Date: April 2, 2022 05:34

georgie48
GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy

They stopped listening.

Don't judge to harshly on you dad, GLS. After the death of my dad I discovered that he had purchased ... the very first album of The Rolling Stones !!!
A really major surprise to me because he had always said that the Stones were a bunch of long haired troublemakers producing noise music.
My indestructable passion for the Stones must have made him curious at some point. I regret not having had the chance to figure that out. Still, the discovery in his collection produced a big, big smile on my face.
smileys with beer

My dad is the one who turned me on to the Stones (and Hendrix and Beatles and Willie Nelson and The Who and blah blah blah). I have his Stones vinyl collection, all 5 albums - OUT OF OUR HEADS (US), LET IT BLEED, YA YAS, HOT ROCKS and MORE HOT ROCKS. He's long past being a Stones fan. My wife had the original EMOTIONAL RESCUE yet alone a plethora of others and she wasn't exactly a Stones fan!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 3, 2022 18:09

I wouldn't mind hearing Love in vain live one more time.........

Date: April 4, 2022 19:12

GasLightStreet
georgie48
GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy

They stopped listening.

smileys with beer

My dad is the one who turned me on to the Stones (and Hendrix and Beatles and Willie Nelson and The Who and blah blah blah). I have his Stones vinyl collection, all 5 albums - OUT OF OUR HEADS (US), LET IT BLEED, YA YAS, HOT ROCKS and MORE HOT ROCKS. He's long past being a Stones fan. My wife had the original EMOTIONAL RESCUE yet alone a plethora of others and she wasn't exactly a Stones fan!

Here you go, GLS. Looks like he is about my age then. It looks like he sort of lost it after the death of Brian Jones then? It happened to many fans of my generation. But I also know many who came back from having lost the Stones at the end of the 60s. Apparently they needed time to mourn. Taylor's great guitar playing is something you can get around that easy.
Let's hope for a mix of 60s, 70s and beyond songs ...
smileys with beer

Date: April 6, 2022 07:30

georgie48
GasLightStreet
georgie48
GasLightStreet
24FPS
GasLightStreet
GerardHennessy
Stoneage
G Hennessy

They stopped listening.

smileys with beer

Here you go, GLS. Looks like he is about my age then. It looks like he sort of lost it after the death of Brian Jones then? It happened to many fans of my generation. But I also know many who came back from having lost the Stones at the end of the 60s. Apparently they needed time to mourn. Taylor's great guitar playing is something you can get around that easy.
Let's hope for a mix of 60s, 70s and beyond songs ...
smileys with beer

That's sweet. But no.

His wife died. A bunch of other shit happened. We don't see things on an even keel. He's extremely conservative, if that gives a clue. He thinks Clapton is great, and apparently a doctor, and loves post-Rogers Pink Floyd and finds the Stones beyond boring. He's stuck in the past and stuck in a bizarre recentness that preludes and excludes anything else (PF hasn't toured since 1994 but goddamn are they awesome still). He's almost 75 but only thinks some artists are still worthy, especially only a certain amount of those that continue on.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: April 13, 2022 14:51

How would you like this one for HP2, 2022?

1. The Last Time
2. Let's Spend the Night Together
3. 19th Nervous Breakdown
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Vote Song
7. Honky Tonk Woman
8. Miss You
9. Slipping Away
10. Happy
11. Midnight Rambler
12. As Tears Go By (B-Stage, Acoustic)
13. Can't Always Get (started on B-Stage)
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Sympathy
16. Start Me Up
17. Satisfaction
18. Street Fighting Man
19. Jumpin Jack Flash

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 13, 2022 15:40

Papo

1. The Last Time
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Vote Song
7. Honky Tonk Woman
8. Miss You
9. Slipping Away
10. Happy
11. Midnight Rambler
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Sympathy
16. Start Me Up
17. Satisfaction
18. Street Fighting Man
19. Jumpin Jack Flash

Start me Up and Sympathy could be parked. They won’t be .. but ..

..Love As Tears go By, Slipping Away and Waiting on a friend in your list.

I’d reinstate a lean, short, hard Brown Sugar for Start me Up and whack in something like All Down the Line and I’ve Got the Blues to replace the long Sympathy and we’re back to 20 songs.

Rod

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 13, 2022 21:13

It might be time to finally bring out Let It Loose.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: April 14, 2022 07:25

Papo

1. The Last Time
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Vote Song
7. Honky Tonk Woman
8. Miss You
9. Slipping Away
10. Happy
11. Midnight Rambler
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Sympathy
16. Start Me Up
17. Satisfaction
18. Street Fighting Man
19. Jumpin Jack Flash

If they opened with The Last Time I'd be on cloud 9!

Here's a thought: Finally break out Mother's Little Helper

Date: April 14, 2022 11:27

snoopy2
Papo

1. The Last Time
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Vote Song
7. Honky Tonk Woman
8. Miss You
9. Slipping Away
10. Happy
11. Midnight Rambler
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Sympathy
16. Start Me Up
17. Satisfaction
18. Street Fighting Man
19. Jumpin Jack Flash

If they opened with The Last Time I'd be on cloud 9!

Here's a thought: Finally break out Mother's Little Helper

Oh man! Now you're talking. Great track. It was on the second ever Stones album I bought - the compilation Through The Past Darkly (UK Version). Not sure if it featured on the US Version though?

I'm a sucker for lists, and while I love 60% of what Papo proposes I have a few of my own faves to put in. And a whole lot to take out. Remove all the warhorses, you all know the ones I mean. Include Sitting On A Fence, Child of the Moon, Memo From Turner(not even a 'real' Stones track of course), Stop Breaking Down, I Got The Blues, Moonlight Mile, Sister Morphine. Gunface, Down Home Girl, Route 66, Live With Me, Love in Vain, Hold On To Your Hat (yes, honestly!), One Hit (to the Body) and Rock & A Hard Place. That will ensure the longest, most sprawling, mismatched and totally unbalanced set list you might ever hear. And a whole lot of people would not have a clue about most of those tracks. But it is only a fantasy! And I'd love it...

Oh yes, I forgot to include Sweethearts Together, Citadel, Goin' Home and Out of Time. But don't worry good people, it will NEVER happen...

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: April 14, 2022 17:27

That would be an awesome setlist!

Really thinking here, why can't Goin' Home be played? I mean a nice slow burning blues? I think they would excel at it. Its not like were asking them to play Rip This Joint at light speed? Goin' Home would be a fun and rare jump back (see what I did there) to the Brian era.

A nice idea, just pure fantasy

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 14, 2022 17:32

This is way too close to the first Hyde Park show in 2013, even down to havin HTW way too early in the set. They ain't gonna open with Last Time because they still consider themselves to be the Stones

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 14, 2022 17:56

bitusa2012
Papo

1. The Last Time
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Waiting On A Friend
6. Vote Song
7. Honky Tonk Woman
8. Miss You
9. Slipping Away
10. Happy
11. Midnight Rambler
14. Gimme Shelter
15. Sympathy
16. Start Me Up
17. Satisfaction
18. Street Fighting Man
19. Jumpin Jack Flash

Start me Up and Sympathy could be parked. They won’t be .. but ..

..Love As Tears go By, Slipping Away and Waiting on a friend in your list.

I’d reinstate a lean, short, hard Brown Sugar for Start me Up and whack in something like All Down the Line and I’ve Got the Blues to replace the long Sympathy and we’re back to 20 songs.

Actually, just revisiting. I can’t stand Let’s Spend the Night together live. Too rinky dink.

Rod

tour2022....opening song....and last song........
Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: May 2, 2022 16:42

What's everyone's thoughts on the opening song and last song for 2022 ??

Opening song - same every gig, or mix it up ?

2021 was mostly SFM but was mixed up with others. I can see it being that again.

Last song - same every gig, or mix it up ?

2021 was Satisfaction as usual. No doubt will probably be that.

My dream would be Under My Thumb in the style of '81 and Sympathy in a style from '75/76

Re: tour2022....opening song....and last song........
Date: May 2, 2022 16:49

It would be incredible if they opened with something sloppy and dirty, like Some Girls or If You Can't Rock Me, and closed with something a bit more unexpected, like Slipping Away or Like A Thief In The Night, and just disappear.

But of course it will be JJF/SFM and Satisfaction.

Re: tour2022....opening song....and last song........
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 2, 2022 17:02

Openers have been pretty stale since 1999 when they reintroduced JJ as the opener on NO Security which was great. I miss the days when all the tours had a different opener. To me Europe 76 and 82 were continuances of other tours
1969 JJ Flash
1972 Brown Sugar
75/76 Honky Tonk
78 Let it Rock
81/82 Under my thumb
89/90 start me up
97/98 satisfaction
94/95 Not Fade away

Since Licks we have mostly had rehashes for the most part with a few Sympathy, Paint it black, you got me rocking. Start me up, brown sugar and street fighting man have also been done a lot. They need a new opener. Personally I would go a little daring and try Time is on my Side.

Date: May 2, 2022 17:48

Hope for Satisfaction as an opener. Then we don't get the ultra extended version later on.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 2, 2022 23:40

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Hope for Satisfaction as an opener. Then we don't get the ultra extended version later on.

yes yes please

that way we won't have keith stumbling thru the solo

would prefer the return of a extended sfm with ronnie taking the solo as the closer

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: May 2, 2022 23:50

Opening - Mother's Little Helper
Closing - SMU or JJF

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: May 3, 2022 00:14

Paint it black opening???

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home