Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 141
Re: You got me rockin...
Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 1, 2021 10:15

I don't hate it, would have welcomed it in the shows with zero set-list variation.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: BN78 ()
Date: December 1, 2021 14:36

KRiffhard
Big Al
UGot2Rollme
In so glad they played it in Detroit rather than LSTNT,
because it does rock - Love Ronnies slide and Keith's solo is heavy - even Chuck adds some fire to it. I say keep it in on occasion.

Yes, I agree. Whilst I prefer Let’s Spend the Night Together as a song, in a live setting, I feel You Got Me Rocking works better. Even when Keith flaps the solo a little, the sheer oomph and energy carries it through. I feel the studio-take is a a tad ordinary, and yet, You Got Me Rocking is a fine live number, in my opinion.

I like only this take plus the intro "5 strings riffin'":
[youtu.be]

I really like that version. Wish it was released.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: December 1, 2021 15:43

To paraphrase Keith...let's cut out the crap...

Let It Loose.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 2, 2021 03:10

One rare occasion I remember YGMR worked live is when they performed it on the b-stage at the Tokyo Dome, March 14, 1998, during the B2B Tour. The skeletal, no-frills representation by the core band formation underscored the tough, ragged characteristics of the song in some effective way. A very forceful, brutal rendition delivered by an engaging performance by Mick & Co. The whole place went nuts. The Rolling Stones as a garage band at their best.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 2, 2021 04:09

24FPS
There's a remix of YGMR that is killer, from 1994. It was so long ago I have it on a cassette mixtape.

Do you mean the "Perfecto Mix"? I enjoyed that one too, in a weird 90s techno retro way

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2021 04:52

Nikkei
24FPS
There's a remix of YGMR that is killer, from 1994. It was so long ago I have it on a cassette mixtape.

Do you mean the "Perfecto Mix"? I enjoyed that one too, in a weird 90s techno retro way

Yeah. I know a lot of the 'Disco Sucks' legions here would have hated it, but I like it, and would post it but I've never learned how on this forum.

Date: December 2, 2021 07:48

24FPS
Nikkei
24FPS

Yeah. I know a lot of the 'Disco Sucks' legions here would have hated it, but I like it, and would post it but I've never learned how on this forum.

Never heard it before, but found it on YouTube [www.youtube.com]
Yeah, quite a unique version isn’t it? Almost sounds like Mick singing backed by New Order!

Never been a disco kid, but I’m a big fan of New Order. And I like other electro pop stuff, too, e.g. Depeche Mode up to the Violator album.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 2, 2021 10:31

Hairball
"Hey, Hey... You Got Me Rockin now..."...sounds like a corny high school pep rally, and something Springsteen might have written and recorded - he should do a cover version of it.

Oh, please. Next to Dylan, Springsteen is arguably (I'd say INarguably - but YOU'D argue) the US's/world's best lyricist.

Yes, he, like Dylan, writes duds. So too, the Stones.

Rod

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 2, 2021 10:52

RisingStone
24FPS
Nikkei
24FPS

Yeah, quite a unique version isn’t it? Almost sounds like Mick singing backed by New Order!

Never been a disco kid, but I’m a big fan of New Order. And I like other electro pop stuff, too, e.g. Depeche Mode up to the Violator album.

Wow, never heard that before. You live and learn (especially if one visits IORR..) So pure 90's electro pop dance music. The techno backing track is very good, and I don't know if the track actually fits to it that well, but who cares. I like it. Makes me want to dance.

- Doxa

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 2, 2021 11:32

Doxa
RisingStone
24FPS
Nikkei
24FPS

Wow, never heard that before. You live and learn (especially if one visits IORR..) So pure 90's electro pop dance music. The techno backing track is very good, and I don't know if the track actually fits to it that well, but who cares. I like it. Makes me want to dance.

- Doxa

Beginning sounds like a pumped up Jagger Just Another Night

Rod

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 2, 2021 12:26

Song did not age well if you ask me. When it came out, I loved Voodoo Lounge and I prefered it over Steel Wheels, Emotional Rescue and even Tattoo You. But when I listen to it now, I usually skip YGMR, Sparks will Fly and I Go Wild

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 2, 2021 14:37

One of the weaker songs in their catalog. "I don't know why" - now there's a good song - they regularly play this. It's not a well known song to the masses, it's boring, and generally sucks.

Must be easy to play.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 2, 2021 14:39

Am I alone in, generally, usually only associating You Got Me Rocking as a live number; any given performed rendition, at that. Of course, I am familiar with the studio-take, it’s just that it’s become such a predicted live staple. Until a recent listen to Voodoo Lounge, I had, in fact, not heard the studio-version for quite a while. I do prefer the ‘better’ live-takes, I must say.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 2, 2021 14:56

Doxa
RisingStone
24FPS
Nikkei
24FPS
y

- Doxa

I liked it as well. The effect was for me to give an otherwise quite anonymous Stones song even from a comparatively moderate album some attraction, at least during two first hearings.

[The continuation Joy Division / New Order are favourites of mine, too. During the somewhat limited time that I now hear music, I have listened quite much to N.O's 7th - 10th albums.]

Date: December 2, 2021 15:55

ribbelchips
Song did not age well if you ask me. When it came out, I loved Voodoo Lounge and I prefered it over Steel Wheels, Emotional Rescue and even Tattoo You. But when I listen to it now, I usually skip YGMR, Sparks will Fly and I Go Wild

LOL these three are the trio of the songs the Stones regularly played on the VL tour 94/95 — they continued to remain in the setlist even after Love Is Strong and The Worst, the other live staples from the album in the beginning, were more and more often dropped from the shows when the tour proceeded into 1995. No wonder the overall estimation of the album has since fallen in you (and some other folks here, perhaps).

Witness
I liked it as well. The effect was for me to give an otherwise quite anonymous Stones song even from a comparatively moderate album some attraction, at least during two first hearings.

[The continuation Joy Division / New Order are favourites of mine, too. During the somewhat limited time that I now hear music, I have listened quite much to N.O's 7th - 10th albums.]

I prefer the first four New Order albums to their later ones, generally. That being said, their best ‘album’ is, IMHO, the 1987 Substance 2CD’s, the compilation of the (mostly) 12-inch singles up to that point.

Maybe I belong to the old school among the NO fans, even though I’m okay with dance music in general.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 2, 2021 16:02

Yeah, i know. I still like Love is Strong, Thru and Thru, Baby Break it Down and Moon is Up.

Date: December 2, 2021 17:28

RisingStone

Witness

[The continuation Joy Division / New Order are favourites ohf mine, too. During the somewhat limited time that I now hear music, I have listened quite much to N.O's 7th - 10th albums.]

I prefer the first four New Order albums to their later ones, generally. That being said, their best ‘album’ is, IMHO, the 1987 Substance 2CD’s, the compilation of the (mostly) 12-inch singles up to that point.

Maybe I belong to the old school among the NO fans, even though I’m okay with dance music in general.

[Wrong thread for this, I apologize, this post is not Stones-related: I am not someone, who has followed the various music scenes and all bands systematically over the years and decades. Almost never I was. During certain periods I have also been almost completely out of it. I have much unheard music to catch up with and listen to, impossibly much.

Embarassingly then, for perhaps 15 years I was not aware even of the existence of the four latest/ last New Order albums. (Much in the same way that I recently have stumbled across the fact that My Bloody Valentine released a third album, now bought, but not listened to yet, Magazine a fifth, Curve a third and fourth, Bauhaus a fifth, and members of Slowdive had another band Mojave 3 with album releases , most of these now unavailable as to vinyl.) During those years it was the first three albums by New Order, plus some maxis, that I loved and considered great, later also SUBSTANCE, while I found the following albums OK, to some extent good, but not great. However, then I became aware of the latest four, and they have dominated my listening to New Order since then, I still listen to them. My evaluation of the New Order's total output belongs to the future, so much as there are other bands that I also have to listen to, outside the Rolling Stones.]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2021 17:31

ribbelchips

I concur, specifically those 3 songs you noted.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2021 17:35

Witness
RisingStone

Witness

[The continuation Joy Division / New Order are favourites ohf mine, too. During the somewhat limited time that I now hear music, I have listened quite much to N.O's 7th - 10th albums.]

Wrong thread for this, I apologize, this post is not Stones-related: I am not someone, who has followed the various music scenes and all bands systematically over the years and decades. Almost never I was. During certain periods I have also been almost completely out of it. I have much unheard music to catch up with and listen to, impossibly much.

Embarassingly then, for perhaps 15 years I was not aware even of the existence of the four latest/ last New Order albums. (Much in the same way that I recently have stumbled across the fact that My Bloody Valentine released a third album, now bought, but not listened to yet, Magazine a fifth, Curve a third and fourth, Bauhaus a fifth, and members of Slowdive had another band Mojave 3 with album releases , most of these now unavailable as to vinyl.) During those years it was the first three albums by New Order, plus some maxis, that I loved and considered great, later also SUBSTANCE, while I found the following albums OK, to some extent good, but not great. However, then I became aware of the latest four, and they have dominated my listening to New Order since then, I still listen to them. My evaluation of the New Order's total output belongs to the future, so much as there are other bands that I also have to listen to, outside the Rolling Stones.

In that dark period between 1984-1989 (Post Undercover until Talk is Cheap) I drifted to New Order and in particular Substance, which was and still is bloody fantastic. Bought Technique, which was OK and subsequently they fell off my radar.

Date: December 2, 2021 17:43

Try their three first or the seventh, GET READY (2001).

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: December 3, 2021 03:39

Heard it a few times. The only one I really liked was encore in Anaheim, a few days after the Angels won the world series in 2002 --- they put up a video of the last out so the crowd went argentina-crazy.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:33

Flip the switch would work better live

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2021 11:04

I'm the meat cutter, baby I can cut your meat
Anything with a lot of trimming, I can do it so nice and neat

......................... Meat Cutter Blues - Kansas Joe McCoy 1934

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 4, 2021 17:55

Big Al
StonedRambler
At the Hurricane Sandy Relief concert in 2012 they were allowed to play two songs. Beside JJF they chose YGMR. And for a good reason. It's probably THE modern-day stones live song, if you like it or not.

Well, it is. Alongside Slipping Away, it's the only 'modern-era' recording that gets played live regularly. Every other post-'89 number is either performed very sporadically, or for a short run, before then being dropped altogether.

Doom & Gloom, Don't Stop, Back of my Hand, This Place is Empty, etc.

I know Out of Control resurfaces occasionally

The bulk of their live repertoire is culled from their 1965-'81 catalogue. It's what the 'Greatest Hit-only' concert attendee demands, supposedly.

they should do one show next year where they just do an entirely post 81 setlist

bill it as the "no satisfaction guaranteed" show

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: December 4, 2021 20:29

Saw it in Detroit and was happy to get it. It rips. Perfect live vehicle for them. Lots of crowd "hey hey" and funny lyrics, great bridge. I could hear it every time.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 4, 2021 21:11

Thanks Rockman for the quotes. Tell it all
the more you make me think about it the more I like it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 4, 2021 21:29

I think You Got Me Rocking should be permanently included in the warhorse section of the setlist, right next to Miss You.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2021 21:36

One (reviewer) talked about his unbidden irony in the line I was a hooker losing my looks. I wrote that completely as a joke on myself.

- Mick Jagger, July 1994

The sense of this is like, You've got me buzzin' again, or whatever word you want to use. It's about someone who was becoming a disastrous failure, until they woke up. You know, the butcher that cuts himself, the surgeon who shakes, the pitcher that's in a slump, the tycoon who loses all his money.

- Mick Jagger, 1994

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 5, 2021 07:00

I saw them twice on the VOODOO tour but this version is the best I've ever come across.

You Got Me Rocking - NO SECURITY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-05 07:02 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: December 5, 2021 12:29

GasLightStreet
I saw them twice on the VOODOO tour but this version is the best I've ever come across.

You Got Me Rocking - NO SECURITY
You're right. Fantastic version!
I also like this one from Brixton 1995 a lot: [www.youtube.com]
Look how Keith is rocking

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-05 12:31 by StonedRambler.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...96979899100101102103104105106...LastNext
Current Page: 101 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home