Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 141
Re: You got me rockin...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 30, 2021 00:38

DGA35
They will never cater to the 1% hardcore fans and not the 99% casual fans! My buddy lives in Tampa so he got really cheap scalper floor tickets and went with his wife and step daughter who is now in college. He's a huge fan and he said the step daughter liked the show but didn't know any of the songs!! I said not even Start Me Up?

Doesn't surprise me. In the old days non-fans, or tourists, knew two things about the Rolling Stones - Satisfaction and Mick Jagger. Now it's not even that...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 30, 2021 03:53

Stoneage
Sorry, but by now it doesn't matter. YGMR is sort of a modern day JJF. They like it and never make mistakes on it. I think it's wise to choose songs they can deliver on every time.

Well they could probably nail "Happy Birthday" but that doesn't mean we should hear it at every show.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 30, 2021 04:12

It's a great Stones song. So is Indian Girl. So is Miss You. Some people wake up gnashing their teeth, hating those songs so much. Or maybe Mick sounds too nasal now. Or whatever. They play it because it sounds great live, and it's only a handful of post-Wyman songs that are memorable. One of the only songs they play off of the three albums they've released in the past 30 years. No Rough Justice. No Love Is Strong. God knows they can't do Anybody Seen My Baby.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2021 04:18

"Hey, Hey... You Got Me Rockin now..."...sounds like a corny high school pep rally, and something Springsteen might have written and recorded - he should do a cover version of it.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 30, 2021 04:27

It's just a banal song.

Did we really wait five years for this sort of nonsense

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2021 04:40

(The songs) come in different ways, SO many different ways. For instance, You Got Me Rocking. It started off as Keith playing the piano as sort of a slow, boogie-woogie blues. And the form was, like, just the same thing going round and round and round. You never knew whether you were singing the verse or the chorus. And it was very fluid, good fun and all that. But then, when we went to play it with the band, it was like, Well, am I singing the verse here or what? What's going on? Is this a chorus? Do we need another part? So we had to decide if we needed a bridge there, and if this was going to work. I want to know when I'm finished singing the verse! I've got to know! Otherwise, it all sounded the same. Ah, it doesn't matter, Keith would say. Well, it matters to ME! And, of course, he's right. And I'm right. We're BOTH right. So we transpose it from piano to guitar - I was playing the guitar, Keith is playing piano and singing. And then I started playing slide guitar, and it started to sound like Elmore James. And then back to something else. Finally I said, Keith, you've got to come off the piano and play guitar. I can't hear what's going on, there's too much racket! Then the song had to take on the band thing, with everybody playing, so you start to codify it a bit, where the chorus is and so on. And it STILL doesn't have a lyric, and I'm STILL messing with the melody. Keith had a couple of them he was using when he played. If it's going to be a rock song, it has to have a definite chorus and melody. So, I picked one. Maybe that's not how Keith remembers it, but that's how I remember it.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

The mystery guitar will no longer be a mystery if I tell you. (Laughs)
What the hell... It's a solidbody dobro, but I play it with a stick - just a little stick I picked out of Ronnie's garden. It's just an interesting percussion effect.

- Keith Richards, June 1994

ROCKMAN

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: November 30, 2021 06:12

In so glad they played it in Detroit rather than LSTNT,
because it does rock - Love Ronnies slide and Keith's solo is heavy - even Chuck adds some fire to it. I say keep it in on occasion.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: November 30, 2021 06:13

Would love to see it swapped with CYHMK...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 30, 2021 06:50

Springsteen should do
a cover of Lavatory Lil ... that'd be funnier ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2021 07:59

umakmehrd
Sure was great to here all the positve reviews of the recent tour. But I gotta say when I see this one in the set list i'm not a big fan, I think they could insert so many better songs even from the later years ...

One Hit to the body
Out of control
Rock & a hard place

or keep an old gem in there like Monkey Man, rocks off etc..

Thoughts?

But i'm just glad they still "go us rockin"

Well, I guess the problem is like seeing in the set list as you put it, not actually being in the concert and it performed occasionally as a number two or three. I never been a big fan of it as a song (to put it mildly), but I admit it has worked very well in the concerts I've been (much to my surprise), like setting the mood for the show as a straight-forward rocker with that easy and a bit banal chorus made for a sing-along. I also guess it rather well works for the people not very familiar with the Stones material ('casual fans'), but just being thrilled being there and enjoying the ride. It is that type of song that actually doesn't ask being recognized, especially when performed in the beginning of the show when the whole audience still is fresh and excited, and not yet just wanting to hear a familiar tune to not be bored.

So it works in its context (it needs to because otherwise they wouldn't perform it that often).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-30 08:04 by Doxa.

thumbs downRe: You got me rockin...
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: November 30, 2021 08:56

Hairball
"Hey, Hey... You Got Me Rockin now..."...sounds like a corny high school pep rally, and something Springsteen might have written and recorded - he should do a cover version of it.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 30, 2021 09:01

UGot2Rollme
because it does rock - Love Ronnies slide and Keith's solo is heavy - even Chuck adds some fire to it. I say keep it in on occasion.

Yes, I agree. Whilst I prefer Let’s Spend the Night Together as a song, in a live setting, I feel You Got Me Rocking works better. Even when Keith flaps the solo a little, the sheer oomph and energy carries it through. I feel the studio-take is a a tad ordinary, and yet, You Got Me Rocking is a fine live number, in my opinion.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 30, 2021 09:15

Big Al
UGot2Rollme

Yes, I agree. Whilst I prefer Let’s Spend the Night Together as a song, in a live setting, I feel You Got Me Rocking works better. Even when Keith flaps the solo a little, the sheer oomph and energy carries it through. I feel the studio-take is a a tad ordinary, and yet, You Got Me Rocking is a fine live number, in my opinion.

i know what you mean the studio version is good but my favorite version is from 12 12 12 wow is that great it gets me every time

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2021 09:16

Big Al
UGot2Rollme

I like only this take plus the intro "5 strings riffin'":
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-30 09:19 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 30, 2021 09:21

mjmjr
ProfessorWolf
thru & thru

little rain

laugh i nearly died

saint of me

don't stop

no spare parts

plunder my soul

brand new car

love is strong

hearts for sale

and so on, and so on....

try being somewhat realistic with your choices.....not gonna happen at this point.
We'd all love to hear different things, but those days are over...that's why the web vote is rigged show after show
I loathed YGMR for years.....but somewhere along the way in the 2000's I just accepted that mick loves that song.....so I should too because they're gonna play it whether I like it or not

i in no way entertain the idea that this is a releastic list i'm just going off the op's list of later day songs that i'd like hear

if had to choose just two it be saint of me and little rain

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 30, 2021 09:58

Some friend from the Stones crew told me that Mick only plays this song so that he can sit back with a glass of wine after the show and go on this forum to read all the comments.

Date: November 30, 2021 10:47

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 30, 2021 11:42

You got me rocking works live very well in my opinion, it is really enjoyable.

Date: November 30, 2021 11:44

Rockman
(The songs) come in different ways, SO many different ways. For instance, You Got Me Rocking. It started off as Keith playing the piano as sort of a slow, boogie-woogie blues. And the form was, like, just the same thing going round and round and round. You never knew whether you were singing the verse or the chorus. And it was very fluid, good fun and all that. But then, when we went to play it with the band, it was like, Well, am I singing the verse here or what? What's going on? Is this a chorus? Do we need another part? So we had to decide if we needed a bridge there, and if this was going to work. I want to know when I'm finished singing the verse! I've got to know! Otherwise, it all sounded the same. Ah, it doesn't matter, Keith would say. Well, it matters to ME! And, of course, he's right. And I'm right. We're BOTH right. So we transpose it from piano to guitar - I was playing the guitar, Keith is playing piano and singing. And then I started playing slide guitar, and it started to sound like Elmore James. And then back to something else. Finally I said, Keith, you've got to come off the piano and play guitar. I can't hear what's going on, there's too much racket! Then the song had to take on the band thing, with everybody playing, so you start to codify it a bit, where the chorus is and so on. And it STILL doesn't have a lyric, and I'm STILL messing with the melody. Keith had a couple of them he was using when he played. If it's going to be a rock song, it has to have a definite chorus and melody. So, I picked one. Maybe that's not how Keith remembers it, but that's how I remember it.

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

What the hell... It's a solidbody dobro, but I play it with a stick - just a little stick I picked out of Ronnie's garden. It's just an interesting percussion effect.

There's a melody?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: November 30, 2021 11:53

Rockman
Springsteen should do
a cover of Lavatory Lil ... that'd be funnier ...

He should cover Salt of the Earth. But he’s moved on.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 30, 2021 12:45

Apparently only I saw the last show in Miami. Do you realize that Keith isn't 39 anymore? He has clear problems with intros, his playing is on and off, sometimes more off than on and he sits down during parts of the show. Ronnie can't cover for him anymore and Ronnie's solos are quite bland. In this situation setlists are secondary. The main thing is being able to carry out the show with as few mistakes as possible. In that context songs like YGMR and JJF are good because they seem to suit the band. They are not as challenging as some other choices.

Date: November 30, 2021 12:46

...where did he go ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: November 30, 2021 12:48

best version ever IMO

[www.youtube.com]

i like also the mess at the double door in 97

[www.youtube.com]
Starts at 6:20

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 30, 2021 13:23

At the Hurricane Sandy Relief concert in 2012 they were allowed to play two songs. Beside JJF they chose YGMR. And for a good reason. It's probably THE modern-day stones live song, if you like it or not.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 30, 2021 13:50

Sandy relief was quite a moment, the Stones were on fire…thumbs up. Said it before saying it again love YGMR with every passing day…

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 30, 2021 15:05

StonedRambler
At the Hurricane Sandy Relief concert in 2012 they were allowed to play two songs. Beside JJF they chose YGMR. And for a good reason. It's probably THE modern-day stones live song, if you like it or not.

Well, it is. Alongside Slipping Away, it's the only 'modern-era' recording that gets played live regularly. Every other post-'89 number is either performed very sporadically, or for a short run, before then being dropped altogether.

Doom & Gloom, Don't Stop, Back of my Hand, This Place is Empty, etc.

I know Out of Control resurfaces occasionally

The bulk of their live repertoire is culled from their 1965-'81 catalogue. It's what the 'Greatest Hit-only' concert attendee demands, supposedly.

Date: November 30, 2021 17:11

Stoneage
Apparently only I saw the last show in Miami. Do you realize that Keith isn't 39 anymore? He has clear problems with intros, his playing is on and off, sometimes more off than on and he sits down during parts of the show. Ronnie can't cover for him anymore and Ronnie's solos are quite bland. In this situation setlists are secondary. The main thing is being able to carry out the show with as few mistakes as possible. In that context songs like YGMR and JJF are good because they seem to suit the band. They are not as challenging as some other choices.

If this is the case then it really is time for them to call it a day. To stop touring.

One or two high profile concerts to bow out with next summer.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2021 01:27

StonedRambler

oh, well if we're given a choice, then not.

It's ok, it's fine. But it's completely uninteresting beyond butcher cutting up meat, tycoon drowning in debt, or the hooker turning her tricks or whatever the hell they have her doing.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 1, 2021 02:52

Four Stone Walls
Rockman

- Mick Jagger, May 1994

There's a melody?

This. One of the major problems of YGMR is the non-existence of a distinctive melody. It’s very flat and unattractive. Always fails to grab me when they play it live.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 1, 2021 09:30

There's a remix of YGMR that is killer, from 1994. It was so long ago I have it on a cassette mixtape.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9596979899100101102103104105...LastNext
Current Page: 100 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home