Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 141
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: Nick23 ()
Date: February 27, 2020 06:24

In addition to the warhorses I’d love to hear either Star Star, When the Whip Comes Down, She’s So Cold, She Was Hot, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking and Shattered.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 27, 2020 08:53

TumblinDice76
Justin-I agree. Love it on the Miami Voodoo release.

MadMax
Justin wrote: "They need to bring back "I Go Wild." I think it'd be a scorcher."

I agree, it's quite strange that they haven't done it since 95. For me it's a top 30 Stones tune which they oughta play again and they would be able to do it justice this late in the game toosmileys with beer

Getting all 3 guitars blaring away, I think they'd find the song to be a great moment in the set. I can see them nailing it.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 27, 2020 08:57

It’ll be the sAme set list from the last five tours. I’m trying to not go but I’ll end up going to San Diego LoL

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 27, 2020 13:37

Woz
It’ll be the sAme set list from the last five tours. I’m trying to not go but I’ll end up going to San Diego LoL

It's hard to see you being wrong. 17 songs the same every night & 2 changes. Maybe 15-4 in the early part of the tour. To be fair it's the same with most live acts. It'll still be fun for those who go, 90+ % of whom are 1 gig a tour or 1 gig a lifetime. And it's the warhorses they want to hear. A deep cuts laden set list would be lost on them.

Date: February 27, 2020 21:15

Oh and also add:

Tops

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 27, 2020 21:45

grzegorz67
Woz

It's hard to see you being wrong. 17 songs the same every night & 2 changes. Maybe 15-4 in the early part of the tour. To be fair it's the same with most live acts. It'll still be fun for those who go, 90+ % of whom are 1 gig a tour or 1 gig a lifetime. And it's the warhorses they want to hear. A deep cuts laden set list would be lost on them.

I do not buy this old argument that people want to hear the warhorses.
I can't imagine that if they ever decided to play 1 warhorses free show in a tour, advertised as exactly as a warhorses free show, it will not sell out.

C

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 27, 2020 23:06

I think they could do a tour with No Warhorses and be very successful. However, Mick seems to be obsessed with maintaining a certain audience that wouldn't be at all interested in a show like that.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 27, 2020 23:59

ryanpow
I think they could do a tour with No Warhorses and be very successful. However, Mick seems to be obsessed with maintaining a certain audience that wouldn't be at all interested in a show like that.

Agreed - the Stones underestimate the knowledge of their fans. Even the Sirius XM listeners get a variety of Stones' songs on multiple stations. For example today I heard Carol (Studio version) and Hang Fire on different XM stations. So the point is that the all fans are now aware of their whole catalog to some extent.

Date: February 28, 2020 00:04

My guess is we will get a few songs haven't been played in a while.
I'd like to see Love is Strong make a comeback, Time is on my Side, perhaps Mick will play Memory Motel or Worried About You.

It is a shame they don't do retro tours and play the exact same set they did on prior tours I think all of us would love a '69 or '72 set list again but I guess they don't want to relive the past in that respect. It would be great for the younger/ newer following to experience some of the past

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 01:52

liddas
grzegorz67
Woz

I do not buy this old argument that people want to hear the warhorses.
I can't imagine that if they ever decided to play 1 warhorses free show in a tour, advertised as exactly as a warhorses free show, it will not sell out.

C

It would be very nice I agree, but when was the last time they actually did that? Be realistic. There will be 2-3 changes per show at the most with the other 16-17 being the same old same old. Especially in stadia. The last time they did a relatively large number of deepcuts in a single show was in the club shows on the Licks Tour in 2002/3 and, to a lesser extent, the arena shows on the same tour. I just can’t see them taking many chances at this stage of their career. They’ll play what they’re comfortable playing. I still attend and enjoy shows very much btw, 38 and counting and have treated the 2012+ era as a bonus and long may it continue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-28 02:00 by grzegorz67.

OUT OF CONTROL as an opener?
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 4, 2020 15:30

Being kind of a setlist freak (concerning the groups and artists I love )
I sometimes wonder how the Stones could put something on the table which they never done as a show opening.

Don´t get me wrong, I love the opening of a show definitely much more than - let´s say - the encores.

Apart from the often used tracks (JJF, SMU, HTW, Brown Sugar, Satisfaction). and the quite obscure ones (Paint It Black, Under My Thumb, Midnight Rambler, Let It Rock, Sympathy I´m constantly thinking about some surprise thing (I mean, Sympathy in 2017 Hamburg and PIB, MR were totally unexpected). What do we have left? Wanna Be Your Man, Last Time in 2012.

What I would love to hear from you is really challenging numbers.

I´d go for "Out Of Control", worth a try!

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 4, 2020 17:09

Honky Tonk Women could be a cool opener. A cowbell to get people’s attention, then looooong intro with Keith’s open G strumming. Also it’s got a nice and mellow groove to get things going. A bit like Under My Thumb did.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 5, 2020 10:24

padre69
Honky Tonk Women could be a cool opener. A cowbell to get people’s attention, then looooong intro with Keith’s open G strumming. Also it’s got a nice and mellow groove to get things going. A bit like Under My Thumb did.

HTW worked fine in 75/76 and at the jagger solo tour in '88.

So it would be not new

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: April 5, 2020 11:52

deardoctor
padre69

So it would be not new

Ah yes, of course. Forgot about that 75/76.

Date: April 8, 2020 22:54

It's time to dust off "Fingerprint File"

(for whenever they come back, of course)

Date: April 8, 2020 23:03

deardoctor
padre69

So it would be not new

+ in Brixton 1995.

Posted by: KevinM ()
Date: August 23, 2020 09:47

The main reason I stopped going to shows was Mick's voice isn't what it was pre '84. It's not fair to expect it to be velvet smooth anymore. The other reason is virtually the same set list (give or take a few) since the mid 70's.

So here are tracks that (some/many) have never been played live or very rarely been played live...

Flight 505 (piano intro through 1st chorus).
Out Of Time
Da Doo Run Run
I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys
(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City
Go Home, Girl
Under The Boardwalk
What To Do
Long Long While
Gotta Get Away
Blue Turns To Grey 1&2
Off The Hook
Get Yourself Together
She's A Rainbow
Dandelion
Connection
The Lantern
Child Of The Moon
Family
Memo From Turner
Aladdin Story
Luxury
Crackin' Up ('77 El Mocambo Reggae vs.)
Misty Roads
Tallahassee Lassie
Send It To Me
Munich Hilton & Munich Reggae
Not The Way To Go
Back In The USA
All About You
Fast Talking, Slow Wallking

Hang Fire (uncensored, Vs.1?) Rough mix vs.
Waiting On A Friend Alt. vs.

=33 songs.

+ more from 'All Mixed Up'/Emotional Res./Undercover Sessions. (audience votes)

Encore: Thief in the Night, Just Because, Let It Rock.

Another idea is to have a small gig @ a club & they mostly play their instrumentals. Not songs that have lyrics minus the vocals, I mean true instrumentals. She Was Hot, Undercover, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Monkey Man, 2000 LYFH & Let It Bleed can round out the vocal portion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 09:53 by KevinM.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 23, 2020 09:51

Please, please, no Da Doo Run Run

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 23, 2020 10:29

KevinM
The main reason I stopped going to shows was Mick's voice isn't what it was pre '84. It's not fair to expect it to be velvet smooth anymore. The other reason is virtually the same set list (give or take a few) since the mid 70's.

So here are tracks that (some/many) have never been played live or very rarely been played live...

Flight 505 (piano intro through 1st chorus).
Out Of Time
Da Doo Run Run
I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys
(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City
Go Home, Girl
Under The Boardwalk
What To Do
Long Long While
Gotta Get Away
Blue Turns To Grey 1&2
Off The Hook
Get Yourself Together
She's A Rainbow
Dandelion
Connection
The Lantern
Child Of The Moon
Family
Memo From Turner
Aladdin Story
Luxury
Crackin' Up ('77 El Mocambo Reggae vs.)
Misty Roads
Tallahassee Lassie
Send It To Me
Munich Hilton & Munich Reggae
Not The Way To Go
Back In The USA
All About You
Fast Talking, Slow Wallking

Hang Fire (uncensored, Vs.1?) Rough mix vs.
Waiting On A Friend Alt. vs.

=33 songs.

+ more from 'All Mixed Up'/Emotional Res./Undercover Sessions. (audience votes)

Encore: Thief in the Night, Just Because, Let It Rock.

Another idea is to have a small gig @ a club & they mostly play their instrumentals. Not songs that have lyrics minus the vocals, I mean true instrumentals. She Was Hot, Undercover, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Monkey Man, 2000 LYFH & Let It Bleed can round out the vocal portion.

So you stopped going to shows since the mid 70ies?? How sad.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 23, 2020 10:53

I gave up campaigning for more varied setlists many, many years ago already. All they need to do to make most people who claim they don't go to shows anymore losing their sleep and fighting for remaining tickets again is using the studio recording of We Love You as tape intro for show start, open with something unusual like they did with Sympathy For The Devil a few years ago, shuffle the setlist positions of the common warhorses around a bit and maybe throw in a true nugget like Mercy Mercy every twenty shows or so and they're done - minimum effort, maximum effect.

Oh, let's not forget to play some interesting stuff at rehearsals while leaving the windows open a tad bit and through the magic of internet expectations will raise to new levels and people will go nuts.

It is what it is, it is what it's been like for a long time - and it remains to be seen if there will be any more shows at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 14:30 by retired_dog.

Date: August 23, 2020 10:59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 11:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 23, 2020 12:58

The setlist from Dallas First show 1972 should please the setlist syndicate.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 23, 2020 13:20

KevinM

This would ask Jagger to quit the band. After that it would be very small gigs in any case...

But in reality none of us need to worry things like these any longer (terrible, predictable setlists, Jagger's weak voice and embarrassing Peter Pan antics, Keith's unability to play, Woody's - sober or not - not sounding like a proper guitarist, Chuck's over-playing with horrible keyboard sound, Darryl not swinging like Wyman, army of back up players and sounding flat, audiences full of stupid fat tourists with their tongue shirts and who just cheer for war horses and use Keith's spot for a piss break, beer's too expensive, etc.). Most likely all of that is history now.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 13:42 by Doxa.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 23, 2020 13:46

With the current situation, we would be lucky to see The Rolling Stones live again at all. The set list is not on my mind at all these days. If they ever could do one more show, that is all I wish for.

Bjornulf

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 23, 2020 15:49

bv
With the current situation, we would be lucky to see The Rolling Stones live again at all. The set list is not on my mind at all these days. If they ever could do one more show, that is all I wish for.

I'm with you BV. I'd happily take whatever they offer if we're blessed enough to see another show or two or three. Doxa, why do you remain on this website?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 15:51 by steffialicia.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 23, 2020 16:49

steffialicia
bv

I'm with you BV. I'd happily take whatever they offer if we're blessed enough to see another show or two or three. Doxa, why do you remain on this website?

Hmm.. Probably my sarcasm and intention didn't come thru. I'm with BV that we'll be lucky to see the Stones some day again (and unfortunately I am rather pessimistic now). That of complaining/wishing what they then be like (set lists and all) is totally secondary, and I think totally inappropriate at the moment. Another way to put it is that we Stones fans are/were pretty blessed and privileged by having that kind of worries (the list of complaints I wrote all derive from what I've heard here along the years... Nothing I agree with, except probably the beer onecool smiley).

- Doxa

P.S. Jeez I hate writing with mobile..

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-23 17:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 23, 2020 17:35

I can't wait to listen to the Live versions of Winter, Coming Down Again, Doncha Bother Me, Citadel, Dear Doctor, Soul Survivor, 100 Years Ago, Time Waits For No One, Let Me Down Slow and I Don't Know Why (from Metamorphosis).

I'll be happy, if they will play only 2 of this songs.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 23, 2020 18:40

Doxa
steffialicia
bv

Hmm.. Probably my sarcasm and intention didn't come thru. I'm with BV that we'll be lucky to see the Stones some day again (and unfortunately I am rather pessimistic now). That of complaining/wishing what they then be like (set lists and all) is totally secondary, and I think totally inappropriate at the moment. Another way to put it is that we Stones fans are/were pretty blessed and privileged by having that kind of worries (the list of complaints I wrote all derive from what I've heard here along the years... Nothing I agree with, except probably the beer onecool smiley).

- Doxa

P.S. Jeez I hate writing with mobile..

Gotcha now Doxa. Stay safe and let's keep our fingers crossed!

Date: August 23, 2020 20:19

There will be a major U.S.A announcement concerning the development of a new Vaccine.... at 6:00 EDT ... I hope this works!!!

Sadly in Florida... a 6 year old girl passed away from COvid 19.

I look forward for this press conference.... Let's stay away from politics and hear the Scientists, Researchers, Pharma Execs and their Have their word -

Let's pray for all - Covid -19 doesn't know age or politics.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 23, 2020 21:07

Once and for all - is it setlist or set list?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1224
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home