Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 142
Re: Why no Start Me Up/ADTL combo??
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 7, 2019 13:54

Yeah GLS, and Cirkus Stockholm 2003 they didnae play JJF nor Satisfaction (with Paradiso '95 being the other one where this occured), as well as being the next to the last show ever (Werchter 2007 the last) where they finished with Sympathy and I happened to attend both shows.

Albany 2005 must have been hell though cause that is the only show ever (since 1972 that is) where they didn't play the best song ever, Dice.

Regarding the thread, I Think ADTL would follow SMU pretty nice, I mean SMU followed BS in 02-03 (sus4-chords all over the Place) so any similarity between them would be dismissed. Maybe SMU being in the key of F doesn't fit the intro riff to ADTL? Gotta play it myself on guitar later and see what it sounds like.smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-07 13:59 by MadMax.

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Date: October 7, 2019 14:48

They didn't play "Tumbling Dice" for the first 2 shows of the 1999 'No Security Tour' either.

Date: October 7, 2019 15:06

MadMax
Yeah GLS, and Cirkus Stockholm 2003 they didnae play JJF nor Satisfaction (with Paradiso '95 being the other one where this occured), as well as being the next to the last show ever (Werchter 2007 the last) where they finished with Sympathy and I happened to attend both shows.

Albany 2005 must have been hell though cause that is the only show ever (since 1972 that is) where they didn't play the best song ever, Dice.

Regarding the thread, I Think ADTL would follow SMU pretty nice, I mean SMU followed BS in 02-03 (sus4-chords all over the Place) so any similarity between them would be dismissed. Maybe SMU being in the key of F doesn't fit the intro riff to ADTL? Gotta play it myself on guitar later and see what it sounds like.smileys with beer

A song in G is perfect, following a song in F smiling smiley

A step up, both in key and energy-wise smileys with beer

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 7, 2019 17:48

I stand corrected WU!! Thanks! Yeah Dandy that's what I assume would happen, gotta pick up the fiddle when I can get bothered to let my one month old Little lass go to mummy's breasts again. So there are 3 shows without Dice and 2 without JJF and Satisfaction in history.

Another weird thing I read here couple of Days ago, no Mr D in America ever! That's kinda strange considering it got a Little bit of that Big Easy creole voodoo stuff feeling, at least in the lyrics. And am I correct to say that the only 2 times we got Far Away Eyes in Europe was Brixton and Rotterdam '95??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-07 17:52 by MadMax.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: October 31, 2019 16:38

I do think the band are in a no-win situation with setlists. Too many warhorses and those of us who are committed long-term fans, with an in-depth knowledge of the full 50 year catalogue, rarities and all, will feel a little bit frustrated. Not enough, and the less knowledgeable - though just as passionate - occasional fans, who like the big hits, will feel excluded and unloved. And let us not forget that the Hot Rocks album has almost taken up permanent residence in the Billboard 200. It is their biggest ever commercial success and shows the appetite that exists out there for their best known numbers.

Personally I'd love more rarities, deep cuts and obscure tracks. But that would be commercial suicide for the band. and would also require them to do a huge amount of excavation of their back-catalogue. Is it fair to ask that of them, given their age? The Stones look after their fans an awful lot better than most other performers. They tour endlessly. They spread their concerts around as much as possible. And they really give it their all on stage. That is impressive for a bunch of guys closer to 80 than 70 age-wise. Except for Ronnie. They also include a few different, and comparatively less well known tracks, in every performance now.

Overall I think they do a very decent job indeed. And have done so for almost every day of my life.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 31, 2019 16:49

GerardHennessy
I do think the band are in a no-win situation with setlists. Too many warhorses and those of us who are committed long-term fans, with an in-depth knowledge of the full 50 year catalogue, rarities and all, will feel a little bit frustrated. Not enough, and the less knowledgeable - though just as passionate - occasional fans, who like the big hits, will feel excluded and unloved. And let us not forget that the Hot Rocks album has almost taken up permanent residence in the Billboard 200. It is their biggest ever commercial success and shows the appetite that exists out there for their best known numbers.

Personally I'd love more rarities, deep cuts and obscure tracks. But that would be commercial suicide for the band. and would also require them to do a huge amount of excavation of their back-catalogue. Is it fair to ask that of them, given their age? The Stones look after their fans an awful lot better than most other performers. They tour endlessly. They spread their concerts around as much as possible. And they really give it their all on stage. That is impressive for a bunch of guys closer to 80 than 70 age-wise. Except for Ronnie. They also include a few different, and comparatively less well known tracks, in every performance now.

Overall I think they do a very decent job indeed. And have done so for almost every day of my life.

Great post!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 1, 2019 10:30

Elmo Lewis
GerardHennessy

thumbs upthumbs up
Great post!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 30, 2019 15:04

From a recent Chuck Leavell interview - Vanity Fair, November 27:

About the set list:

He also maintains a database of all the setlists. Before every show, he proposes the next setlist on his MacBook, making sure that they don’t repeat songs from the last date in the same city.

Then he emails it to Jagger, and Jagger emails back what he thinks. Leavell, personally, would like to play some of the outlier Stones tunes, like “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” from Sticky Fingers, but Jagger is strictly focused on hits. “Anything that’s not a rocker, he thinks, Maybe we should have an up-tempo thing,” Leavell says. “It’s the way Mick views working the crowd — he likes the excitement. We’ll have conversations where he says, ‘I noticed that everybody was not looking up and wasn’t engaged, and I want them engaged.’”

Once the setlist is finalized, he explains, “I’ll put it on a thumb drive and go to the tour office and get it printed and take a couple of copies and put them in my back pocket: ‘Mick, here’s what we’ve got.’” For this show, on a Monday in August, the opening song is going to be “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” and they’ll introduce a wild card, “Harlem Shuffle,” which they haven’t played since 1990.

Bjornulf

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 30, 2019 15:07

Sounds so dull! MacBooks and thumbdrives indeed...

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: November 30, 2019 23:19

Charlie Watts is 78! EVERY show is a gift. Be grateful for any setlist at this point.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 4, 2019 17:38

bv
From a recent Chuck Leavell interview - Vanity Fair, November 27:

About the set list:

He also maintains a database of all the setlists. Before every show, he proposes the next setlist on his MacBook, making sure that they don’t repeat songs from the last date in the same city.

Then he emails it to Jagger, and Jagger emails back what he thinks. Leavell, personally, would like to play some of the outlier Stones tunes, like “Can’t You Hear Me Knocking” from Sticky Fingers, but Jagger is strictly focused on hits. “Anything that’s not a rocker, he thinks, Maybe we should have an up-tempo thing,” Leavell says. “It’s the way Mick views working the crowd — he likes the excitement. We’ll have conversations where he says, ‘I noticed that everybody was not looking up and wasn’t engaged, and I want them engaged.’”

Once the setlist is finalized, he explains, “I’ll put it on a thumb drive and go to the tour office and get it printed and take a couple of copies and put them in my back pocket: ‘Mick, here’s what we’ve got.’” For this show, on a Monday in August, the opening song is going to be “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” and they’ll introduce a wild card, “Harlem Shuffle,” which they haven’t played since 1990.

Okay. But that's not always the case. E.g. they played It's All Over Now at many Werchter gigs (to be honest it had to do with Womack's death in 2014). No Expectations is very seldom played, but they did it twice in San Jose 2003/13, a city they don't play very often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-04 17:39 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Set List Discussion for US 2020 Tour
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 7, 2020 22:15

I can only hope that at this point with a prosperous career, with nothing to lose, that a unique set list of rarities and surprises will be played dismissing a Song Vote Sham.

Re: Set List Discussion for US 2020 Tour
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: February 7, 2020 22:18

Chris Fountain
I can only hope that at this point with a prosperous career, with nothing to lose, that a unique set list of rarities and surprises will be played dismissing a Song Vote Sham.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. It will be the same 19-20 setlist with minor changes and a couple rarities thrown in. And honestly, that's perfectly fine with me.

Date: February 7, 2020 22:24

Do away with the song vote.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 7, 2020 22:35

JordyLicks96

I wouldn't get my hopes up. It will be the same 19-20 setlist with minor changes and a couple rarities thrown in.

Yep - and maybe some songs from the GHS-reissue like in 2015 from the Sticky-Fingers-reissue ....

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 7, 2020 22:52

Here we go again.

It will be the same as usual with a few surprises at selected gigs.

Date: February 7, 2020 22:58

Irix
JordyLicks96

I wouldn't get my hopes up. It will be the same 19-20 setlist with minor changes and a couple rarities thrown in.

Yep - and maybe some songs from the GHS-reissue like in 2015 from the Sticky-Fingers-reissue ....

They already played all of them live since 2012 except Star Star (@#$%&) and they wont play that one again for sure. 5 songs from GHS have never been played live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-07 22:58 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: February 7, 2020 23:10

JumpinJeppeFlash

They already played all of them live since 2012 except Star Star (@#$%&) and they wont play that one again for sure. 5 songs from GHS have never been played live.

And why should they play 5 songs from GHS when they already played all of them live since 2012 (except Star Star). confused smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 7, 2020 23:15

I wouldn't get my hopes up either, it will be the same 75% stage show as always with one or two different songs in there. Just like as being said. One major factor in something like what they play is what are they familiar with. Those songs will require little or zero rehearsal. Whereas songs new to the live catalogue will take practice from the get go, maybe even to the point of having to go back and listen to the song and then make a modern day arrangement for it to be played live. I would love to hear an all new (to the stage anyway) set of songs but realistically it just will not happen. Even if they were to do "stripped" arrangements of some of the classics they play all the time, that would be nice. But one reason I am not jumping around buying tickets is the almost guarantee it will be a "phone it in" performance, especially without new material to support. When they are in town and if I can get in reasonably cheap I will reconsider but as for now...meh. Even though, This Could Be The Last Time Baby...

jb

Date: February 7, 2020 23:15

Irix
JumpinJeppeFlash

And why should they play 5 songs from GHS when they already played all of them live since 2012 (except Star Star). confused smiley

They wont play Star Star and the 5 songs never played live.

Date: February 7, 2020 23:23

They'll probably have a mini "GOATS HEAD SOUP" set during each show like they did with STICKY FINGERS during the Zip Code Tour.

My guess on the songs they choose to switch around for each show:

Dancing With Mr. D
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Star Star

Date: February 7, 2020 23:29

JordyLicks96
They'll probably have a mini "GOATS HEAD SOUP" set during each show like they did with STICKY FINGERS during the Zip Code Tour.

Dancing With Mr. D
Angie
Silver Train
Star Star

Men in their mid to late 70s wont play songs like Star Star.

Date: February 7, 2020 23:35

JumpinJeppeFlash
JordyLicks96

Dancing With Mr. D
Angie
Silver Train
Star Star

They last played Star Star in 2003 and they were men in their 60s. They're "The Rolling Stones" not some group for children where they have to watch their dirty language. All of a sudden the words "pussy" and "@#$%&" can't be said by men in their 70s?

Date: February 7, 2020 23:35

JumpinJeppeFlash

They wont play Star Star and the 5 songs never played live.

I think too they'll play then the other 5 songs which were already played live (plus maybe a Track from the Deluxe-Disc worth playing live). And I'm afraid 'Angie' will often be played in the B-stage acoustic set.

Date: February 7, 2020 23:38

Dancing With Mr. D

Played several times 2017.

Played three times since 2012.

Angie

Played several times last couple of years.

Silver Train

Only played two times since 1973, Tokyo Dome & Brisbane.

Star Star

Last time played 2003.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-07 23:40 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: February 7, 2020 23:39

JordyLicks96
JumpinJeppeFlash
JordyLicks96

Dancing With Mr. D
Angie
Silver Train
Star Star

They last played Star Star in 2003 and they were men in their 60s. They're "The Rolling Stones" not some group for children where they have to watch their dirty language. All of a sudden the words "pussy" and "@#$%&" can't be said by men in their 70s?

I know, i was theresmiling smiley

Date: February 7, 2020 23:43

JordyLicks96

Dancing With Mr. D
Angie
Silver Train
Star Star

Yes, they wont try to play any of the remaining five on that record, that´s for surespinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: February 7, 2020 23:45

JordyLicks96

They're "The Rolling Stones" not some group for children where they have to watch their dirty language.

They could alter the lyrics like with 'Some Girls' ....

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 7, 2020 23:52

Irix
JordyLicks96

They're "The Rolling Stones" not some group for children where they have to watch their dirty language.

They could alter the lyrics like with 'Some Girls' ....

Interesting subject - maybe the interpretation is based on reception. Cursing does not bother me. Personally, cursing is not part of my vocabulary unless driving - or unless my favorite sports team is losing for unforgiving reasons-

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: February 8, 2020 00:14

Who in their righteous mind really believes the setlist could be up for discussion?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home