Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 142
Re: 19 vs. 20 songs...
Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: August 7, 2019 15:41

JTHanis—it’s like 7 minute abs. Everyone knows you can’t get your abs done in 6 minutes and 8 minutes is too long and not necessary. 7 is the right amount. Just like 19 songs. It’s elementary.

Date: August 7, 2019 16:48

erikjjf
Winning Ugly VXII
Since 1978,the only concerts with any fewer than 19 songs were Vegas 2016 and Chicago 2006 and warm-up club shows and the private hired shows.

Some shows in Europe 2007 had 18 songs, due to the heat wave.
Enmore Theatre and Cirkus Krone in 2003 had 18 songs.
Shanghai 2006, 18 songs.
Toronto 2003, 16 songs.
Isle of Wight 2007, 15 songs.
Halifax 2006, 18 songs.

More than I thought. Less than 20 concerts since 1978,still,if you throw out the warm-up club shows and the private hired shows.

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: August 7, 2019 17:39

They might be heading in this direction anyway but if you had a few less shows, even reduce the 2nd concert stops in Chicago/Newark you might actually get 20/21 songs.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: August 7, 2019 18:52

I think it’s the lenghts of the shows that’s most important. Doesn’t seem like there’s any big if any drop off in the timing of the show accourding to BV’s timing going 20 to 19.

Like for me a tight version of Miss You and satisfaction and even You can’t always get what you want and then get two of the song vote choices in would be a significant upgrade to the show. And I don’t think that would take away any satisfaction from the general concert goer either.

But hey, it’s Mick and Chuck who probably are the best at judging the responses from the audience... At least they still play longer than even Robbie Williams and Aerosmith for example. (Or Cardi F...king B who played 43 minutes at some festivals this summer lol)

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 7, 2019 19:10

JTHanis
MKjan
keefmick
Mkjan is correct. Everyone knows that 19 is the perfect number of songs. 20 is one too many and 18 is one too few.

To be sure, not everyone knows, as other posts in this thread attest, but 19 is still the best.

Now is this scientifically proven? You're quite confident.

In the past, did you walk out after 19 songs since that's "the best"?

I say 19 is best because it is what the band decided. They're touring and it's 2019. Lucky us.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: August 7, 2019 21:50

If they could shorten a few of the songs (for example, the overly long bass solo on Miss You) and add a ballad to the too-short acoustic set on the B-stage, this show length would be perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-07 23:06 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 7, 2019 22:06

The fair question, in my not-so-humble opinion, is why do they start most tours with a higher number of songs performed then pare it downwards never to return back up to the original number?!
(the exact number of songs is irrelevant)
confused smiley

This downward trend lends to a perceived lack of energy, or laziness, on their part and I cannot believe that is the reason for it.
Blow our minds and add an extra song every now and again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-07 23:42 by Kurt.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 7, 2019 22:10

...pretty sure they only performed 12 songs during the 1792 Tour.
By the time word spread to the next town over they had already moved on so no one ever got the chance to complain about it.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 7, 2019 23:28

ive always argued they could do more than 19 songs if they shortened each song.

cut out some long warhorses and replace with the shorter songs they sing anyway, not as if we would be asking them to do stuff they cant do.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 8, 2019 02:07

2 hours max is all they should do (and all they should have been doing the past 30 years), so likely they even need to do less songs.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 8, 2019 02:33

no if they do 2 hours they can do more than 20 songs if they shorten some.

they have to many long songs, so they can easily fit another 5 or 6 in.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 8, 2019 06:07

buttons67
no if they do 2 hours they can do more than 20 songs if they shorten some.

they have to many long songs, so they can easily fit another 5 or 6 in.

so, most of the crowd is dead after 2 hours, they start going to bathroom and/or leaving ...

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Date: August 8, 2019 17:16

Stoneage
Yes I did, Dandy. But I don't know if changing position in the setlist can be considered much of a change? But why not? Add it then...

Not sure if I get you here? They are sometimes opening with SFM, which they don't play if they open with JJF on this tour.

Date: August 8, 2019 17:22

Stoneage
Football (European), cricket, snooker (Ron), tennis (Keith), equestrianism (Charlie) and golf (Stu) are sports which I know they are (were) interested in.

Charlie is a super-Spurs fan! In the legendary interview from 1986 (recording the video for One Hit), he was pissed at the reporter because he was stalling him when he wanted to get home to watch an important match smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2019 17:45

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Yes I did, Dandy. But I don't know if changing position in the setlist can be considered much of a change? But why not? Add it then...

Not sure if I get you here? They are sometimes opening with SFM, which they don't play if they open with JJF on this tour.

That's true, Dandy. That slipped my mind. And when they open with JJ Flash they actually make place for another song in the first third of the show. Heureka!

Date: August 8, 2019 18:05

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

That's true, Dandy. That slipped my mind. And when they open with JJ Flash they actually make place for another song in the first third of the show. Heureka!

smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2019 10:59

Ronnie: Hey Mick, what about Slave?

Mick: Wot?

Ronnie: You know, yeah man, from BLACK AND BLUE, that brilliant riff.

Mick: I dunno what yer on about, Ronnie. Are you drinking again?

Ronnie: Noooo haaaa haaaaaarrrrgghhh. @#$%& hell, mate. We rehearsed it recently. It's from TATTOO YOU.

Mick: We did?

Ronnie: Yeahhhh! It was great! We should've put it in!

Mick: Keith! Keith? You know what Ronnie's on about? When was that? We did that?

Keith: He's mad again.

Mick: Ronnie, wot is it, man. I mean, I dunno, I dunno.

Ronnie: You can't remember?

Mick: Nooaw! I can't fookin' remember. Whatyoumean I can't remember. Of course I can't remember.

(Ronnie pulls out his laptop, goes to YouTube and pulls up [www.youtube.com] and cranks it over the PA).

Mick: That's not us playing it live! We've never played it live!

Ronnie: I know that, Mick, but this gives a great exammmmmple... and just listen for a sec...

Mick: That's not The Rolling Stones! Well, I mean, it is but...

Ronnie: Nice!

Keith: Shut up, Ronnie. We did that a while back, Mick didn't like it, too much cowbell or something, so we sodded it.

Ronnie: But it's so good!

Keith: Mick's not into it.

Ronnie: That record sold a good bit. I know that. Had a song on it. Had two songs it, really. But... right Charlie?! CHARLIE!!!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 9, 2019 23:39

You think the guys would be absolutely bored playing the same warehouses over and over

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 00:34

They have 3 days to miss them and be pumped to play them again.

No Filter Tour Setlist - Wishlist
Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: August 12, 2019 04:33

Which have been your favorite gems played this tour?

And if you could have the band play your picks...

Which Keith song would you like?

Which acoustic songs?

And What 2 band songs would you want them to play?

For me, Keith please play "Thief in the Night"
On Acoustic, "Dear Doctor" and "No Expectations" would be great!
and if the band played "Stop Breakin' Down" and "If You Can't Rock Me" ahh, bliss!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-12 04:47 by Freejack.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 12, 2019 09:38

I like Coming Down Again, Winter, Slave, Citadel, Soul Survivor and Doncha Bother
Me in the setlist.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 15, 2019 10:15

Now they have clearly given up, and as good as the shows may be they areon automatic pilot. It's s shame there are no real surprises anymore (and I am talking abut a rarity here and there).

Date: August 15, 2019 15:53

One thing that should be noted is the fact that when they start with JJ Flash there is usually one more rare or medium rare son added in the beginning.
To replace the absence of SFM (which is left out of the setlist then). So those looking for variation stands a better chance when JJ Flash is the opener...

Ps. Another positive effect of that is that JJ Flash is much shorter as a opener as opposed when it's played later in the setlist. Ds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-15 15:58 by Stoneage.

Date: August 25, 2019 00:01

Some estimates from the last show in Pasadena, CA:

- Average release year of songs: 1972
- Most frequent release year of songs: 1969 (5/11)
- Songs from the 60's: 11/19
- Songs from the 70's: 6/19
- Songs from the 80's: 1/19
- Songs from the 90's: 1/19
- Songs from the 00's: 0/11
- Songs from the 10's: 0/11

Why no Start Me Up/ADTL combo??
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 6, 2019 19:00

It just struck me while waking up this morning that they have NEVER started a show with Start Me Up and then as a second song All Down The Line. Why would that be? Closest they came was Roseland in 2002 but YGMR was put inbetween.

Seems very strange!

Re: Why no Start Me Up/ADTL combo??
Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: October 6, 2019 21:58

Maybe because they haven’t wanted to. It is hard to believe that they won’t do it now that they have read that you are surprised by it.

Date: October 6, 2019 22:29

Only three songs in between them in this setlistsmiling smiley

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 22:36

ADTL made the No 3 slot at this show, which did however open with JJF. thumbs up

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: October 7, 2019 01:47

As far as I'm concerned, they should just replace SMU with ADTL...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2019 04:12

They didn't play JJF at one of the shows, what, Paris? that's on the STRIPPED reissue.

But yeah, sure, playing All Down The Line after Start Me Up would be good.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home