Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 18, 2019 16:27

deardoctor
Monsoon Ragoon
Please people! What do you expect? Just look at that bullshit setlists from Oro-Medonte or New Orleans. Even the no-warhorses are more than well known. Down to 19 songs. Nobody really needs the only rarity, Sad Sad Sad, although it seems to work live. No Harlem Shuffle, not even in New Orleans. We're back in reality I guess. Creating great fantastic setlists for them doesn't make much sense. It won't happen anyway. They are a Greatest Hits act now which has nothing to do with the 21st century. The will never play old insider favourites like Coming Down Again, let alone Had It With You. Anyway, IMHO 2018 was more interesting than 2017 and the first shows of 2019 more interesting than 2018. Better than nothing. But I don't expect many surprises for the remaining 11 shows (maybe in New Jersey?). The main reason they still tour is making as much money as possible. They have to attract as much "average" "fans" as possible which means: 85-90 % warhorses and well known standards/ pseudo-rarities. - As Billy Preston said: "That's life. You gotta deal with it."

But sometimes you get what you need..
Fool to cry
Sad sad sad
Dancing with Mr D
Mixed emotions 2016
Maybe few more?

Yes indeed. Although I don't think that Mixed Emotions is a great live song. People go buying beer or pissing during songs like this. Also Fool To Cry doesn't really work in a stadium. Real surprises still happen from time to time, especially in the first half of a tour or in 5-10 million inhabitants conglomaration areas where they played dozens of shows already over the years. To be honest I didn't expect them to actually perform Mercy Mercy although I knew they heavily rehearsed it. I think it had to do with Brian/Hyde Park 1969. This is comparable to performing Kansas City in Kansas City.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-18 16:30 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 18, 2019 16:46

This is an ultimate set list for any recent concert winking smiley.

As a matter of fact they played the second disc entirely quite a few times (even during last tours). Although they made only 8 out of 9 this year.

Date: July 18, 2019 17:26

ironbelly
This is an ultimate set list for any recent concert winking smiley.

As a matter of fact they played the second disc entirely quite a few times (even during last tours). Although they made only 8 out of 9 this year.

I would prefer the complete disc 1 in one concert (except maybe Satisfaction).

Date: July 18, 2019 18:43

Monsoon Ragoon
deardoctor
Monsoon Ragoon
Please people! What do you expect? Just look at that bullshit setlists from Oro-Medonte or New Orleans. Even the no-warhorses are more than well known. Down to 19 songs. Nobody really needs the only rarity, Sad Sad Sad, although it seems to work live. No Harlem Shuffle, not even in New Orleans. We're back in reality I guess. Creating great fantastic setlists for them doesn't make much sense. It won't happen anyway. They are a Greatest Hits act now which has nothing to do with the 21st century. The will never play old insider favourites like Coming Down Again, let alone Had It With You. Anyway, IMHO 2018 was more interesting than 2017 and the first shows of 2019 more interesting than 2018. Better than nothing. But I don't expect many surprises for the remaining 11 shows (maybe in New Jersey?). The main reason they still tour is making as much money as possible. They have to attract as much "average" "fans" as possible which means: 85-90 % warhorses and well known standards/ pseudo-rarities. - As Billy Preston said: "That's life. You gotta deal with it."

Fool to cry
Sad sad sad
Dancing with Mr D
Mixed emotions 2016
Maybe few more?

Yes indeed. Although I don't think that Mixed Emotions is a great live song. People go buying beer or pissing during songs like this. Also Fool To Cry doesn't really work in a stadium. Real surprises still happen from time to time, especially in the first half of a tour or in 5-10 million inhabitants conglomaration areas where they played dozens of shows already over the years. To be honest I didn't expect them to actually perform Mercy Mercy although I knew they heavily rehearsed it. I think it had to do with Brian/Hyde Park 1969. This is comparable to performing Kansas City in Kansas City.

Fool To Cry REALLY worked in a stadium!

And people are not rushing to the rest rooms early in the set just because they start ME smiling smiley

Date: July 19, 2019 14:11

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
deardoctor
Monsoon Ragoon

Fool to cry
Sad sad sad
Dancing with Mr D
Mixed emotions 2016
Maybe few more?

Fool To Cry REALLY worked in a stadium!

And people are not rushing to the rest rooms early in the set just because they start ME smiling smiley

Why did they drop Mixed Emotions after one appearance in a stadium-sized venue? Probably because the audience wasn't too enthuastic. Mercy Mercy is a better song IMHO - but the problem remains the same.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 19, 2019 14:22

The room for changes in the setlist is, as pointed out on page 1, 2-3 songs. And, to be fair, it doesn't really matter that much which songs they put there.
The rest of the setlist, 16-17 songs, is still the same and will be throughout the tour. Everything else would be a surprise.

Date: July 19, 2019 14:22

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-19 15:04 by Stoneage.

Date: July 19, 2019 14:40

Stoneage
The room for changes in the setlist is, as pointed out on page 1, 2-3 songs. And, to be fair, it doesn't really matter that much which songs they put there.
The rest of the setlist, 16-17 songs, is still the same and will be throughout the tour. Everything else would be a surprise.

Probably, as the tour progresses, the setlists will be more similar from week to week, the concerts somewhat shorter. No real surprises anymore. And the worst case I can imagine: they play Like A Rolling Stone a couple of times (like last summer). What a sell-out! It's really sad to see the most important Rock act that ever existed end like this. - On the other hand: they're still not really a bad band, and sometimes there are even "surprises" (more or less). Otherwise I wouldn't be here...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-19 14:53 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: July 19, 2019 15:43

Having seen the Stones 10 times or so since 1989, but not since the Gaylord in Nashville in 2002, it is my hope that we will get a "nugget to keep" in tonight's setlist. Based on the lists thus far, we'll get at least one, of not both, of Dead Flowers and Angie, but, given that we are close to Chuck's hometown of Macon (and he also has a house in Savannah), we could get a one-off (relatively speaking) like You Gotta Move in Atlanta in 2015 or even Can't Turn You Loose (Mick introduced it specially) from Atlanta in 2002.

I am good with whatever out of the 4 songs for the "vote", but I am hopeful that we get Let It Bleed or even Mercy Mercy again!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: July 19, 2019 15:58

stonesstein
Having seen the Stones 10 times or so since 1989, but not since the Gaylord in Nashville in 2002, it is my hope that we will get a "nugget to keep" in tonight's setlist. Based on the lists thus far, we'll get at least one, of not both, of Dead Flowers and Angie, but, given that we are close to Chuck's hometown of Macon (and he also has a house in Savannah), we could get a one-off (relatively speaking) like You Gotta Move in Atlanta in 2015 or even Can't Turn You Loose (Mick introduced it specially) from Atlanta in 2002.

I am good with whatever out of the 4 songs for the "vote", but I am hopeful that we get Let It Bleed or even Mercy Mercy again!

I second that, but it's not very likely that we will get something like a Chicago II setlist (which was actually worlds apart from the boring 2017/late tour 2018 setlists). Angie and maybe Sad Sad Sad or She's A Rainbow won't disappear anymore this time around, but Mercy Mercy again? I don't think so. Great song, but not overwhelming for 90 % of the "casual fans" (95 % of the audience). But it's possible that there will be an "obscure" song in New Jersey or California.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: July 19, 2019 16:01

When was Wild horses last played?

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: July 19, 2019 16:09

calipachangero

May 25th 2018 in London with Florence Welch.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: July 19, 2019 16:33

watch out for Faraway Eyes!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 19, 2019 17:21

Monsoon Ragoon
...it's not very likely that we will get something like a Chicago II setlist (which was actually worlds apart from the boring 2017/late tour 2018 setlists).

Really ? Düsseldorf '17 had exactly the same setlist as Chicago II '19 beside four songs :
GOOMC, SFM, Happy and Just Your Fool at Düsseldorf - Monkey Man, Play with Fire, Dead Flowers and BTMMR
at Chicago....boring ? Worlds apart...?
I don't think so...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2019 17:24

For shows in the US this tour they most likely won't do anything like Dancing With Mr D, it's pretty much HOT ROCKS + REWIND + 2 from STEEL WHEELS.

Perhaps NO FILTER means there's nothing to hold them back from playing their greatest hits other than the amount of time they have to play them.

Comparing some set lists, I'd rather hear LSTNT than IORR and Sad Sad Sad - or even IORR - over You Got Me Rocking.

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: July 19, 2019 17:57

One thing I noticed in the Dome is that Keith's big solo in the middle of "Sad Sad Sad," is actually very similar to his Chuck Berry style solo in It's Only Rock And Roll, and he uses a big hollow-body Gibson on both tunes. So in terms of guitar, they're basically interchangeable.

As the solo in "It's Only Rock And Roll" has gotten more and more "avant garde" and dissonant over the recent years, I think it's probably safe to say that we're not likely to ever get "Sad Sad Sad" and "It's Only Rock And Roll" on the same setlist on the same night. I think Sad Sad Sad" might have been brought in as a replacement for "It's Only Rock And Roll" after the first couple of solos this tour went into near trainwreck territory. Now Keith still gets his big, avant garde Chuck Berry solo in the spotlight, but Mick has more "control" over the song because he is also playing rhythm guitar. I haven't listented to any recordings from New Orleans yet, but there in the Dome I thought Keith's solo on "Sad Sad Sad" was great. So far at least, if you hear "Let's Spend The Night Together" then you are almost certainly getting "Sad Sad Sad" as well.

It's just a hunch, but it also looks to me like "Angie" and "Dead Flowers" are the A-list of songs for the acoustic B-stage, and you get alternates swapped out, but you always get one or other, unless it is a two-night stand in Chicago where they really swapped up the set lists the second night. Just my opinion.

My two big questions are, one, will "Wild Horses" ever show up on the set list this time? This year they are usually doing ballads as part of the acoustic set, that set serves as the break for Charlie and the rest to catch their breath. But they've been playing "Wild Horses" strictly on electric the last couple years, and Mick has often been singing it as a duet, so I'm wondering if Keith's fingers could make the transition to playing it on acoustic again. That is a really interesting question for the "Keith's fingers" crowd to debate.

The other Keith question is, has "Happy" been mysteriously retired? Will it pop up again? The issue with "Happy" is that, as many people have pointed out, Keith is no longer consistently playing guitar and singing at the same time. Watch him in "Slipping Away," "Sweet Virginia" and "Dead Flowers" --when it's time for him to sing his lines, his hands fall away from the guitar. "Happy" has that slashing, driving rhythm guitar that really requires playing and singing simultaneously all the way through the song. I'd hate to think it was true, but maybe we have heard the last of it. I bet it will surface at least once, though. It is Keith after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-19 17:59 by TurningToGold2.

Date: July 19, 2019 20:07

Thanks! Seems like a good time to give it one more outing!

Date: July 19, 2019 20:08

MacLaurens
calipachangero

May 25th 2018 in London with Florence Welch.

Thanks! Seems like a good time to give it one more outing!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 20, 2019 14:45

I’m not so concerned about the 19 or 20 song total but...

2 songs out on the catwalk is NOT ENOUGH!
Please play 3 or 4 out there each night cool smiley

Date: July 20, 2019 15:22

shortfatfanny
Monsoon Ragoon
...it's not very likely that we will get something like a Chicago II setlist (which was actually worlds apart from the boring 2017/late tour 2018 setlists).

Really ? Düsseldorf '17 had exactly the same setlist as Chicago II '19 beside four songs :
GOOMC, SFM, Happy and Just Your Fool at Düsseldorf - Monkey Man, Play with Fire, Dead Flowers and BTMMR
at Chicago....boring ? Worlds apart...?
I don't think so...

May be. All I wanted to express is that in 2017 most shows had exactly the same setlist except the 6th and 7th song. That is simply embarrassing and reminds me of the second half of the tours 1981-1990. (Although I think the 1981 tour was chaotic, but much better than the recent mini tours since 2012. It wasn't a Greatest Hits tour and they played many new songs from 1978-81 which were great at that time. No bullshit like Sparks Will Fly, Don't Stop or One More Shot.)
In 2018/19 it's a bit more interesting IMHO. Hmmm, another question is: why should they play many new songs if they had finished new songs. U2 plays many brand new songs at the moment but they are mostly sub-standard. Maybe the reason why The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 will be revived next year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-20 15:32 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: July 20, 2019 15:31

To quote Tina Turner: "What you see is what you get". They are into mid-tour now. They are not going to make any changes.

No Sweet Virginia for Philly
Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: July 20, 2019 15:43

Based on last night, i’m guessing no Sweet Virginia for Philadelphia on Tuesday. Interesting to note, the city hasn’t heard the song in 47 years. I sincerely hope, but doubt, they look at previous setlists in the city. I’m willing to wager we hear Angie Nd Dead Flowers even though the latter was played there in 2013 and made it onto Honk. I’ll cross my fingers for the two MetLife shows.

Re: No Sweet Virginia for Philly
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 20, 2019 16:15

JTHanis
Based on last night, i’m guessing no Sweet Virginia for Philadelphia on Tuesday. Interesting to note, the city hasn’t heard the song in 47 years. I sincerely hope, but doubt, they look at previous setlists in the city. I’m willing to wager we hear Angie Nd Dead Flowers even though the latter was played there in 2013 and made it onto Honk. I’ll cross my fingers for the two MetLife shows.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go there and have fun! Life is limited to these opportunities.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:54

plain and simple they don't look and they don't care

the fact that they have taken away a song from the most exciting part of the show (for die hards that travel and live an breathe stones) says it all. those first 4 shows of the tour rejuvenated my love for the stones.....2 years ago i surrendered to the standard set lists......but the beginning of this tour was so invigorating....If you would have told me I would hear Mercy Mercy in 2019 I would have laughed at you....but I heard it.....unfortunately that little bonus song for die hards is dead.

Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful they're still playing.....but dropping a song where they did is a slap in the face to those that go to 5-7 shows this tour. Drop Sympathy if you want to drop something....it doesn't work live anymore.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 21, 2019 00:05

Well so much for trying to keep the setlist completely spoiler free till my show. And that actually would have been a thrill to not know that was coming. Thank you.

And before you say "well you shouldn't be on a Stones forum if you don't want it spoiler"... its been like a month and not a single thread title has had a song spoiler in it. I just assumed we were being courteous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 00:06 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: July 21, 2019 01:16

RollingFreak
Well so much for trying to keep the setlist completely spoiler free till my show. And that actually would have been a thrill to not know that was coming. Thank you.

And before you say "well you shouldn't be on a Stones forum if you don't want it spoiler"... its been like a month and not a single thread title has had a song spoiler in it. I just assumed we were being courteous.

Get over it. Are you a child? 57 years in and you’re worried about spoilers.

Here’s a spoiler — the play Satisfaction too.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 21, 2019 01:17

RollingFreak

That was great and very funny!!!

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 21, 2019 01:53

I'd be more worried about the setlist going to 17 songs......

Date: July 21, 2019 12:45

JTHanis

These days,they only bother to look back to the most recent 1 or 2 previous shows in a given area.

So,maybe they will skip "Dead Flowers" this time in Philadelphia but,I doubt that they will notice that "Sweet Virginia" has not been performed there since '72.

If they were more thorough about this stuff,then "Let it Bleed" would have been performed in Foxborough instead of being repeated in Washington,D.C. . That's just one recent example.

Date: July 21, 2019 12:50

As far as performing 'Hot Rocks' ...........

There has only been "Heart of Stone" a handful of times (all in 2002) since the 1960's.

"Time is On My Side" once in Japan since the 1982 tour ended.

"Play With Fire" is finally being performed but,it's now up to just FOUR times in the past 29+ years.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7677787980818283848586...LastNext
Current Page: 81 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home