Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 142
Re: Please Open Edinburgh With - Hold On To Your Hat
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 1, 2018 12:04

well in that case ya just use it side-ways ……

ROCKMAN

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 1, 2018 21:05

Once on the USA Tour opener in Gillette stadium at Foxboro Mass.in 2006 The Stones opened with Paint It Black and it was killer . Such a grand opener with the riffmaster playing those opening licks on his blonde rosewood board Fender Tele and it just blew me and everyone else in the stadium away . Talk about a surprise opener , which was the first time for me as an opener .smoking smiley

Posted by: Gerry ()
Date: June 5, 2018 17:06

I just make a small statistical overview of songs which i've heard.

Since 1995 I have seen the Stones seven times and I've heard 142 songs in total and 62 various songs. I think it's not a bad quote.

From these 62 songs, only 8 Songs were played on each Show: Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, It's Only Rock'N'Roll, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Start Me up, Sympathy for The Devil and Tumbling Dice. Followed by Miss you which were played five times. I've heard 36 songs which were played only once.

Here are my overview of songs:

Brown Sugar 7
Honky Tonk Women 7
It's Only Rock'N'Roll 7
Jumping Jack Flash 7
Satisfaction 7
Start Me Up 7
Sympathy For The Devil 7
Tumbling Dice 7

Miss You 5

Gimme Shelter 4
Let's Spend The Night Together 4
You Can't Always Get What You Want 4
You Got Me Rocking 4

Angie 3
Midnight Rambler 3
Street Fighting Man 3

All Down The Line 2
Happy (Keith) 2
I Wanna Hold You (Keith) 2
It's All Over Now 2
Like A Rolling Stone 2
Out Of Control 2
Paint It Black 2
Rough Justice 2
Slipping Away (Keith) 2
You Got The Silver (Keith) 2

Anybody Seen My Baby 1
Beast of Burden 1
Before They Make Me Run (Keith) 1
Bitch 1
Can't Be Seen (Keith) 1
Can't You Hear Me Knocking 1
Connection 1
Don't Stop 1
Doom & Gloom 1
Flip The Switch 1
Get Off Of My Cloud 1
I Go Wild 1
I'll Go Crazy 1
Just Your Fool 1
Little Queenie 1
Little Red Rooster 1
Little T & A (Keith) 1
Live With Me 1
Love Is Strong 1
Monkey Man 1
Night Time Is The Right Time 1
Not Fade Away 1
Oh No Not You Again 1
Rock And A Hard Place 1
Rocks Off 1
Saint Of Me 1
She Was Hot 1
Shine A Light 1
Sparks Will Fly 1
Streets Of Love 1
Sweet Virginia 1
This Place Is Empty (Keith) 1
Waiting On The Friend 1
Wild Horses 1
Worried About You 1
You Don't Have To Mean It (Keith) 1

If I see this, it's surprising. that there a always complaints of the setlist, that they play every tour the same. But through the years, there a lot of songs which I've heard only once.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 5, 2018 18:00

Sure, but for a long time now 2/3 of the setlist is written in stone. In the first 1/3 of the concert however there is some variation.

Date: June 6, 2018 16:12

Happy days are here! Now we have 3 "rarities" or voted songs in the setlist. Like in Manchester (Shattered, LSTNT and LARS). From HTW it's still engraved in stone though...

Date: June 6, 2018 16:21

Stoneage
Happy days are here! Now we have 3 "rarities" or voted songs in the setlist. Like in Manchester (Shattered, LSTNT and LARS). From HTW it's still engraved in stone though...

Just Your Fool (don't think they've played it more than LSTNT on this tour) and You Got The Silver as well.

Date: June 6, 2018 16:36

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Just Your Fool (don't think they've played it more than LSTNT on this tour) and You Got The Silver as well.

Sure. If you like those you can count them. I'm not a fan of either B&L or Keith's set. So I tend to overlook them.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 6, 2018 20:25

Gerry, you made me wonder about the songs I've seen since my first gig in 1995.

Apparently it is 14 shows and 70 songs. Only 6 were played at every show. (BS, HTW, JJF, SMU, SFTD, TD)

Only 2 were played at 13 shows (Satisfaction and IORR)

55 of the songs were played at less than half of the shows I attended.

28 of the songs were only performed at one gig that I attended.

And I've not been to any of the club style shows and missed out on most of the Arena ones during Licks where they played with the set list more. So the results aren't skewed by unusual shows.

I don't normally go in for song lists or set list reviews because the performance is what matters to me. However, it strikes me that I've actually seen a huge variety of songs over just 14 shows, averaging out at 5 song changes per show (i.e. on average a quarter of the songs).

Going by this, I think you are quite right that there is nothing to complain about. I don't know if I counted correctly but I think there were 5 or 6 songs different between Southampton and Coventry for example.

Lastly, I think the variation is much greater now compared to in the 60s and 70s when they played the same set list more or less identical every night throughout each tour.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 6, 2018 20:49

Not to complain, but as an answer to a couple of posts:

In that past the Stones did not recreate studio originals as they more or less have since 1989, but, what has been described here, played road versions of songs, which might possibly vary a little from concert to concert. And from tour to tour there were important additions to the setlists from recently released studio albums.

If the Stones during the current tour had used regularly from Gerry's list those songs that he had seen only once, and left out songs played more than once (or twice), then I would have been interested to see the band live also during this tour, where I this year have abstained. (Last year I saw them one time only.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-06 20:50 by Witness.

Date: June 6, 2018 20:56

Witness
Not to complain, but as an answer to a couple of posts:

In that past the Stones did not recreate studio originals as they more or less have since 1989, but, what has been described here, played road versions of songs, which might possibly vary a little from concert to concert. And from tour to tour there were important additions to the setlists from recently released studio albums.

If the Stones during the current tour had used regularly from Gerry's list those songs that he had seen only once, and left out songs played more than once (or twice), then I would have been interested to see the band live also during this tour, where I this year have abstained. (Last year Ig saw them one time only.)

Midnight Rambler is worth the price of admission alone. Everything else is a bonus.

Date: June 6, 2018 21:18

I write the following as an answer, not to complain.

As one, who have seen the Stones before, my preference for the time being would be to see them play a somewhat different song material than they do, or to abstain. The two Hyde Park concerts, two concerts in 2015(?) and one concert last autumn were mighty experiences. However, were I to see another concert with that large overweight of warhorses so soon again, it would have reduced the memories of earlier concerts to me. (I am aware that I may have seen the Stones live for the last time.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-06 21:19 by Witness.

Date: June 6, 2018 21:35

Witness

As one, who have seen the Stones before, my preference for the time being would be to see them play a somewhat different song material than they do, or to abstain. The two Hyde Park concerts, two concerts in 2015(?) and one concert last autumn were mighty experiences. However, were I to see another concert with that large overweight of warhorses so soon again, it would have reduced the memories of earlier concerts to me. (I am aware that I may have seen the Stones live for the last time.)

And of course that's up to you. If you don't enjoy watching the stones play their greatest songs with a couple of rarer ones thrown in then they are not the band for you anyway so you'd be better saving your money for something else.

Date: June 6, 2018 22:46

Hi-ho!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-06 22:59 by Stoneage.

Date: June 6, 2018 22:49

sjs12
Witness

And of course that's up to you. If you don't enjoy watching the stones play their greatest songs with a couple of rarer ones thrown in then they are not the band for you anyway so you'd be better saving your money for something else.

My feelings may be as follows. During the tour in 2003 in Europe at three concerts in the same city, I did like the arena concert and loved the club concert, but was saddened by the overweight of warhorses at the first stadion concert.

Not going to concerts now, will not stop me from listening to old songs, for instance live, especially from the years when the songs were more recent. Now I would have preferred Stones concerts to feature primarily songs from albums of the later decades, fully aware that I in that respect belong not only to a minority, but an extremely small one.

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: June 6, 2018 23:29

i have heard 94 different songs in 30 shows, i'm 36 years old (start in 1990)
not too bad. hope i'm gonna get one or two more this year (the worst, heatbreaker, sweet virginia, dead flowers?)

here the list from 1990 to 2017 so far

Start Me Up
Sad Sad Sad
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Terrifying
Ruby Tuesday
Angie
Rock and a Hard Place
Mixed Emotions
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Can't Be Seen
Happy
Paint It Black
2000 Light Years From Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Street Fighting Man
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Not Fade Away
You Got Me Rocking
It's All Over Now
Live With Me
Sparks Will Fly
Beast of Burden
Like a Rolling Stone
I Go Wild
Connection
Slipping Away

All Down the Line
Shattered
Let It Bleed
Wild Horses
Down in the Bottom
Shine a Light
Rip This Joint

Let's Spend the Night Together
Flip the Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Saint of Me
Out of Control
Thief in the Night
Wanna Hold You
Little Queenie
The Last Time

If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Rocks Off
Love In Vain
Monkey Man
Thru And Thru
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Mannish Boy

Bitch
Before They Make Me Run
Little Red Rooster

Oh No Not You Again
She's So Cold
As Tears Go By
Streets Of Love
Night Time Is The Right Time
This Place Is Empty
Rough Justice

Sway
Get Off Of My Cloud

Rain Fall Down

She Was Hot
Waiting On The Friend
I'll Go Crazy

You Got The Silver

Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Route 66
When The Whip Comes Down
Champaign & Reefer
Doom And Gloom

One More Shot
No Expectations
Worried About You
That's How Strong My Love Is

I Wanna Be Your Man
Going Down

Emotional Rescue

Just Your Fool
Ride 'Em On Down
Play With Fire
Dancing With Mr D
Under My Thumb

Hate To See You Go

She's A Rainbow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 00:00 by AntoineParis.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: June 6, 2018 23:37

sjs12

Midnight Rambler is worth the price of admission alone. Everything else is a bonus.

Ain't that the truth; I'm with you on that one!thumbs up

smileys with beer

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Date: June 7, 2018 00:27

Witness
sjs12
Witness

My feelings may be as follows. During the tour in 2003 in Europe at three concerts in the same city, I did like the arena concert and loved the club concert, but was saddened by the overweight of warhorses at the first stadion concert.

Not going to concerts now, will not stop me from listening to old songs, for instance live, especially from the years when the songs were more recent. Now I would have preferred Stones concerts to feature primarily songs from albums of the later decades, fully aware that I in that respect belong not only to a minority, but an extremely small one.

I see where you're coming from. I too would like them to be touring behind a new album. But I still enjoy being in the moment when they are playing those great old songs. I was at Paris in 2003 and despite loving the city I didn't really enjoy the gig much. However, that was more due to the sound which was not good and in fact the worse sounding gig I ever went to. I have to say that sound has improved a lot since then and the stones are playing way better than they did on that tour. I reckon you should give it one more go. The version of midnight rambler on this tour is frankly amazing and well worth it for that alone. It's up to you but give it a go I say.

Date: June 7, 2018 00:56

Anyhow, sjs12, thank you for your recommendation!

Deep desire: Sister morphine live in continental Europe
Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: June 16, 2018 10:07

Dear Glimmer Tweens, dear Rolling Stones,
please consider to play Sister Morphine at least once in either Berlin, Marseille, Stuttgart or Praha.
Thanks so much
Stoneswolf
(Sorry, just had to write this!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 18:31 by Stoneswolf.

Re: Deep desire: Sister morphine live in continental Europe
Date: June 16, 2018 11:23

Agree! On of their best.

The acoustic bootleg version gives me goosebumps all the time

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 16, 2018 18:27

Ronnie Wood at his best

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: June 16, 2018 20:00

Yeah!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 16, 2018 22:23

Best of luck on this one.

I always hoped for memory motel, but deep down I know I am not going to get it.

Salt of the earth at Twickenham was the high light for me.

Date: June 16, 2018 22:38

Ron Wood definitely kicks Rye Cooder's musical butt on this track. Actually he's very good at it. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 22:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: June 16, 2018 23:16

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Agree! On of their best.

The acoustic bootleg version gives me goosebumps all the time

Exactly the same for me..I would die if they will play but unfortunately i’m sure they won’t and I don’t understand why

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 17, 2018 06:50

Stoneswolf
Dear Glimmer Tweens, dear Rolling Stones,
please consider to play Sister Morphine at least once in either Berlin, Marseille, Stuttgart or Praha.
Thanks so much
Stoneswolf
(Sorry, just had to write this!)

If they do, that means someone reads this board.

Drop "Like A Rolling Stone", please
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:11

I want to hear a Jagger/Richards song instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-16 11:13 by TooTough.

Re: Drop "Like A Rolling Stone", please
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:24

drop it – and play anything else instead

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:36

It works fine live! The crowd always seem to enjoy it. And I like Keiths backing vocals and Mick's harmonica. They do a good version these days.

Posted by: mickmat ()
Date: June 16, 2018 11:52

The Worst.
It works fine live! The crowd always seem to enjoy it. And I like Keiths backing vocals and Mick's harmonica. They do a good version these days.

Agree. And I have not heard this for 20 years live (since Bridges tour 1998 eye popping smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home