Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 141
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 01:57

its just a shame the stones stick to the same 15 or 16 songs per gig when they have a back catalogue of around 380 official songs, ok many of them are never going to be played and a lot of them songs are not great anyway, but they still have a lot of material to play around with.

they have also played 60 songs since the start of the so called "vegas" years of 1989 that they hadnt previously played ever, not all of them songs had been recorded after 1989 either. some girls and she was hot were first introduced live more recently than when they were recorded in the studio, so its not as if they cant play many songs live.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 31, 2015 02:15

GasLightStreet
jahisnotdead
I always wonder how in the world they can make it fresh for themselves, playing the same songs decade in and decade out. I would get sick of it, I think

Keep in mind that unlike 'normal' people jobs, they only work a few months at a time and not every day for 5 days a week like the average job.

Look at people who play the same bars or cruise ships night after night, they play other people's songs for money most nights. That's less fulfilling i would imagine..

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 02:24

Yes, but since the "Vegas" years as you called it starting with the Steel Wheels Tour in '89 they are actually playing more deaper cuts then they did when they toured before the post '82 hiatous. Off the top of my head these songs were recorded before '89 but weren't played live on a tour until the '89 and post '89 tour:

I Got the Silver
Monkey Man
Sawy
I Got the Blues
Sister Morphine
Moonlight Mile
Shine a Light
2,000 Light Years from Home
She's a Rainbow
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Undercover of the Night
She Was Hot
I Wanna Hold You
All About You
One Hit to the Body
Harlem Shuffle

And that is just off the top of my head. Songs like Silver Train were barely played on the '73 Tour and a re now included as a "Vote" song. CYHMK was played very little before 2002 as well.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 31, 2015 03:31

I did not do any shows at all 2012-2014 because of the stale setlist. Only did two for Zip Code and they were both Lucky Dips at that. Same reason. If the setlists were more dynamic, then figure I would have done about my average number of shows per tour for both date ranges. That means I passed on roughly 10 shows. 10 shows for which I would have paid top price range to get as close to the stage as possible. That's roughly $5,000 that the Stones missed out on. The good news is that it was money in MY pocket, hoo-ray!!!

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 03:46

Interesting Question:
Are we all spoiled by Periscope, the internet, and sites that show setlists?
I'm only 39 so I didn't get to see the Stones until the 90's. So my question is for fans taht saw them in the 60's, 70's and the '81-'82 tours. Were you dissapointed by the setlists? I mean besides Hyde Park and Altamont they rolled out the same songs in the same order every night. Was anyone dissapointed in 69? The '70 and '71 tours were pretty much the same exact songs in the same order every night. Anyone dissapointed? '72 had more songs played in the opening night. But minus 2-3 shows it was teh same songs in the same order every night. '73 may have had a little more variety. '75 was same setlist in the same order every night. Same with '78, and '81. Now they actually change it up more and people complain. It does seem that they rotated tracks by tour more in '89, '94, and '97. For instance songs that were played in '89 weren't played in '94.
Were people in '78 complaining about Star Star after the show? Star Star was played in '73, '75, '76, and '78. Or has being able to see every night's setlist changed us? AC/DC, KISS, U2, and many others play the same songs every night. Other then Jam bands it seems like "Tour Setlists" seems common. I stopped paying to see Pearl Jam because they play WAY too many deep cuts that I don't want to pay to hear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-31 03:51 by TumblinDice76.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 31, 2015 06:36

keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
jahisnotdead
I always wonder how in the world they can make it fresh for themselves, playing the same songs decade in and decade out. I would get sick of it, I think

Keep in mind that unlike 'normal' people jobs, they only work a few months at a time and not every day for 5 days a week like the average job.

Look at people who play the same bars or cruise ships night after night, they play other people's songs for money most nights. That's less fulfilling i would imagine..

I had a gig on a cruse ship for 6 months and assure you we had a friggin' blast. It wasn't entirely about musical fulfillment but plenty of other fulfillments. Besides we did get to play a much larger selection of music than a typical Stones tour.

Some of the best gigs for musicians are actually working in a house band for TV shows like Letterman of whatever. They tape during the days, have long weekends and every night free to pursue other musical projects and the pay is great.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 31, 2015 08:47

i love the stones and have been a fan for 45 years, but I do have a few comments:

1-release new material/unreleased stuff. the sticky fingers re-release is a lazy effort and a waste of money and time. the material is in the can to pump out a new cd every year until hell freezes over.

2-change up the set list. conference call to bruce springsteen for advice and take some copious notes.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 10:14

TumblinDice76
Interesting Question:
Are we all spoiled by Periscope, the internet, and sites that show setlists?
I'm only 39 so I didn't get to see the Stones until the 90's. So my question is for fans taht saw them in the 60's, 70's and the '81-'82 tours. Were you dissapointed by the setlists? I mean besides Hyde Park and Altamont they rolled out the same songs in the same order every night. Was anyone dissapointed in 69? The '70 and '71 tours were pretty much the same exact songs in the same order every night. Anyone dissapointed? '72 had more songs played in the opening night. But minus 2-3 shows it was teh same songs in the same order every night. '73 may have had a little more variety. '75 was same setlist in the same order every night. Same with '78, and '81. Now they actually change it up more and people complain. It does seem that they rotated tracks by tour more in '89, '94, and '97. For instance songs that were played in '89 weren't played in '94.
Were people in '78 complaining about Star Star after the show? Star Star was played in '73, '75, '76, and '78. Or has being able to see every night's setlist changed us? AC/DC, KISS, U2, and many others play the same songs every night. Other then Jam bands it seems like "Tour Setlists" seems common. I stopped paying to see Pearl Jam because they play WAY too many deep cuts that I don't want to pay to hear.
Totally agree. Setlist variety really peaked quite recently in 2002 with the Licks tour. Setlists stayed pretty standard in all the old "classic" tours of 69, 72, 75, 78, 81.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 31, 2015 14:57

JJF
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
Monkey Man

It doesn't matter what they do after this...smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2015 17:56

keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
jahisnotdead

Yes. But that's choosing to be a cover artist to play music to make a living.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 18:40

Y'know the thing that I've been thinking about lately is that many people on here want certain songs to be played. So, the band, who obviously must have at least someone reading this board, brings out a song like Sway or Moonlight Mile. Other songs not before performed live. The fact that they are still performing at all is a great asset, but then to also pay enough attention to their fans to attempt some more obscure songs, I think speaks volumes for the band. And yet, yes not everyone can be pleased. So they perform Sway and people complain that its horrendous, nothing like the studio. Same with Moonlight, God awful. I find this sad. It can't be had both ways. For me, personally, I think it is wonderful that they would even attempt to bring out some long ago not forgotten, but certainly not thought of, songs.

Just my two cents. I know not everyone will be happy 100% of the time, but I do think that the band should be commended for even trying to pacify the die-hards.

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: July 31, 2015 22:08

Aß long aß 20,30 or 50 tausend people pay 200 Dollar and more there is NO reason to change something.

Posted by: ttutone ()
Date: July 31, 2015 23:02

I have seen the Stones many times and yes there are songs that I would like to here instead of the so called war horses. Thing is... that I have watched the audience and the majority of them are going crazy for the very songs that some of us wish they would play something else instead of.

I also don't really have anything against any particular song(s) i.e. Doom, Rockin', Miss you, etc... I like all their songs.Granted I like some more than others. Some seem to think that the entire show is a waste when one of those are played. Thing is...you please one person and piss off another. I think the variety of songs thru the years has kept them fresh. Out of Control is a fabulous tune. SO is Miss you. You can here the blues in it if you listen. I wish Mick would play the harmonica in it. But hey that is just me.

I personally just like to see really good energy and see them play well.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 31, 2015 23:19

I say just play the warhorses they have to play and bring a list of 50 to 70 songs to interchange. I think the setlist should be 21 songs.

For example:

Opening night setlist:

1. Honky Tonk Women
2. Bitch
3. Shattered
4. If You Can't Rock Me
5. Saint Of Me (This Slot for any song from '94 to today)
6. She's So Cold
7. Under My Thumb
8. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
9. Tumbling Dice
10. This Place Is Empty
11. Little T&A
12. Midnight Rambler
13. Emotional Rescue
14. Out Of Control
15. Sympathy For The Devil
16. Street Fighting Man
17. Jumping Jack Flash
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar
20. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
21. Satisfaction

Next concert setlist:

1. Honky Tonk Women
2. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll
3. Respectable
4. Stray Cat Blues
5. Oh No Not You Again
6. When The Whip Comes Down
7. Beast Of Burden
8. Slave
9. Tumbling Dice
10. All About You
11. Wanna Hold You
12. Midnight Rambler
13. Out Of Control
14. Miss You
15. Gimme Shelter
16. Sympathy For The Devil
17. Jumping Jack Flash
18. Start Me Up
19. Satisfaction
20. You Can't Always Get What You Want
21. Brown Sugar

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 1, 2015 00:01

The Stones are not capable to have 70 songs in their repertoire and play them well. They are lucky to get away with 20 fairly well played songs. That is not new, that has always been that way. At their age they need the routine of the HtW-BS-JJF etc-stuff or they would be lost.
Apart from this it´s the well-known warhorses that the general audiences want to hear. Playing obscure songs doesn´t work and the Stones know that.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 01:47

GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
jahisnotdead

This is essentially what the stones started out as, and have spent the last 20 years doing. In between they wrote some great songs. For example, bill wyman's jumping jack flash.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:36

Turner68
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
jahisnotdead

This is essentially what the stones started out as, and have spent the last 20 years doing. In between they wrote some great songs. For example, bill wyman's jumping jack flash.

Hurgh hurgh! There is definitely some that view the Stones as a Stones cover band these days.

Date: August 1, 2015 19:36

TumblinDice76
Yes, but since the "Vegas" years as you called it starting with the Steel Wheels Tour in '89 they are actually playing more deaper cuts then they did when they toured before the post '82 hiatous. Off the top of my head these songs were recorded before '89 but weren't played live on a tour until the '89 and post '89 tour:

I Got the Silver
Monkey Man
Sawy
I Got the Blues
Sister Morphine
Moonlight Mile
Shine a Light
2,000 Light Years from Home
She's a Rainbow
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Undercover of the Night
She Was Hot
I Wanna Hold You
All About You
One Hit to the Body
Harlem Shuffle

And that is just off the top of my head. Songs like Silver Train were barely played on the '73 Tour and a re now included as a "Vote" song. CYHMK was played very little before 2002 as well.

Memory Motel!

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: August 2, 2015 13:17

RipThisBone
Stoneage
Discussing setlists is a bit like talking about the weather - something you do to pass time. Not at all unpleasant even though it seldom leads anywhere...

thumbs up

...couldn't agree more...

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 3, 2015 00:34

They need to play saint of me

Date: August 3, 2015 05:39

pepganzo
They need to play saint of me

thumbs up

Think about this...a recent Aerosmith concert had only 16 songs...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2015 07:41

...a recent Aerosmith concert had only 16 songs...

Yeah but most of the songs were 20 mins long

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 18:02

Turning To Gold
Am I the only one who feels like it really doesn't matter WHAT ORDER THEY PLAY THE SONGS IN?

If they are gonna stick to warhorses, and things the fans know, that's fine, but how about they MIX IT UP A BIT???

They could OPEN up with the dreaded "Miss You," and because of the element of surprise, people would likely say it was a great show, and fall in love with the song again...like the time they opened that club show, with Midnight Rambler -- people's heads nearly exploded!!!

OPEN with Rocks Off, open with "Bitch" -- Heck, open each show with the SURPRISE INTERNET VOTE SONG!!?!?!?!

cant agree with you more.. the change of song sequence does the trick. it makes a whole lot of a difference. you could even compare it with playing a song backwards.

Move up "Gimme Shelter" as second or third song, Keith sends that riff out into the evening air????

"Sympathy" with the pyro and lighting, third or fourth song, blow people away? See how fresh that sounds?

"You Can't Always Get What You Want," as the big early warhorse song before Keith's 2 song set --- saving "Honky Tonk" for the end????

"Tumbling Dice" as a final encore -- use the choir!!! Why not?

See how it doesn't matter???

THEY ARE ALL GREAT SONGS -- play them ALL and change the ORDER around!

Even better, CLOSE the show with "Miss You" so the fans who don't like it, could head for the exits and beat the traffic!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 3, 2015 18:58

HMS
The Stones are not capable to have 70 songs in their repertoire and play them well. They are lucky to get away with 20 fairly well played songs. That is not new, that has always been that way. At their age they need the routine of the HtW-BS-JJF etc-stuff or they would be lost.
Apart from this it´s the well-known warhorses that the general audiences want to hear. Playing obscure songs doesn´t work and the Stones know that.

Honestly this is the laziest comment I've seen. Talk about mailing it in, I guess it not only happens with the Stones(lol) but posters. smoking smileytongue sticking out smiley>grinning smiley<

Date: August 4, 2015 01:15

HMS

...really???
absolute rubbish

tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 4, 2015 10:21

HMS

In case, to the extent that you may be right, we must be pleased that "Moonlight Mile" has entered that repertoire. It is in itself enough reason to want to witness the Stones live one or two more times, whatever stagnation there is in the band's setlists, apart from that highly wellcome addition.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: August 4, 2015 20:19

i've seen 20 shows since 1999, I can't complain about this list at all.

Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Sympathy for the Devil
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Before They Make Me Run
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Paint It Black
Slipping Away
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Live With Me
You Got Me Rocking
Bitch
All Down the Line
Doom and Gloom
Get Off of My Cloud
You Got the Silver
Don't Stop
Rocks Off
Street Fighting Man
Emotional Rescue
If You Can't Rock Me
Infamy
Like a Rolling Stone
Moonlight Mile
Night Time Is the Right Time
Oh No, Not You Again
One More Shot
Rain Fall Down
Rough Justice
Sweet Virginia
Wild Horses
As Tears Go By
Beast of Burden
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Hand of Fate
I Can't Turn You Loose
Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)
Let It Bleed
Let's Spend the Night Together
Love Train
Memory Motel
Monkey Man
Out of Control
Respectable
Route 66
Some Girls
Stray Cat Blues
Angie
Champagne & Reefer
Connection
Dance Pt. 1
Dead Flowers
Don't Look Back
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Going to a Go-Go
Heart of Stone
Hot Stuff
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Love in Vain
Loving Cup
No Expectations
Rip This Joint
Rock Me Baby
Ruby Tuesday
Sad Sad Sad
Saint of Me
Shattered
She Was Hot
She's So Cold
Shine a Light
Six Days on the Road
Streets of Love
Sway
The Nearness of You
Torn and Frayed
Under My Thumb
Undercover of the Night
When the Whip Comes Down
Worried About You

Date: August 5, 2015 01:42

mnewman505
i've seen 20 shows since 1999, I can't complain about this list at all.

Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Start Me Up
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Sympathy for the Devil
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Before They Make Me Run
Gimme Shelter
Happy
Paint It Black
Slipping Away
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Live With Me
You Got Me Rocking
Bitch
All Down the Line
Doom and Gloom
Get Off of My Cloud
You Got the Silver
Don't Stop
Rocks Off
Street Fighting Man
Emotional Rescue
If You Can't Rock Me
Infamy
Like a Rolling Stone
Moonlight Mile
Night Time Is the Right Time
Oh No, Not You Again
One More Shot
Rain Fall Down
Rough Justice
Sweet Virginia
Wild Horses
As Tears Go By
Beast of Burden
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
Hand of Fate
I Can't Turn You Loose
Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)
Let It Bleed
Let's Spend the Night Together
Love Train
Memory Motel
Monkey Man
Out of Control
Respectable
Route 66
Some Girls
Stray Cat Blues
Angie
Champagne & Reefer
Connection
Dance Pt. 1
Dead Flowers
Don't Look Back
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Going to a Go-Go
Heart of Stone
Hot Stuff
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Love in Vain
Loving Cup
No Expectations
Rip This Joint
Rock Me Baby
Ruby Tuesday
Sad Sad Sad
Saint of Me
Shattered
She Was Hot
She's So Cold
Shine a Light
Six Days on the Road
Streets of Love
Sway
The Nearness of You
Torn and Frayed
Under My Thumb
Undercover of the Night
When the Whip Comes Down
Worried About You

thumbs up

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: August 5, 2015 10:25

You´ve forgot "Lady Jane", played in 2012, London.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 5, 2015 13:03

Melody

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home