Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 30, 2015 01:02

Easy. Only 18 songs. JJF, SMU and Satisfaction rollating. hot smiley

1. JUMPING JACK FLASH or START ME UP or SATISFACTION
2. IT'S ONLY ROCK AND ROLL or TUMBLING DICE
3. SWAY (with Mick Taylor) or IF YOU CAN'T ROCK ME (with MT)
4. EMOTIONAL RESCUE or MISS YOU (shortened)
5. STREETFIGHTING MAN or YOU GOT ME ROCKING or SILVER TRAIN (with MT)
6. YOU GOTTA MOVE or RUBY TUESDAY or AS TEARS GO BY or ANGIE or another slowy.
7. CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING (+ Mick Taylor) or 2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME
8. HONKY TONK WOMEN or PAINT IT BLACK or ROUGH JUSTICE
9. GIMME SHELTER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. HAPPY or BEFORE THEY MAKE ME RUN
11. YOU WIN AGAIN or THE WORST or YOU GOT THE SILVER
12. THRU and THRU or STILL A FOOL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
13. MIDNIGHT RAMBLER (with or without Mick Taylor)
14. TUMBLING DICE or PLUNDERED MY SOUL (with or without Mick Taylor)
15. START ME UP or JUMPING JACK FLASH or SATISFACTION
16. YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
17. SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
18. JUMPING JACK FLASH or SATISFACTION

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 30, 2015 01:02

Discussing setlists is a bit like talking about the weather - something you do to pass time. Not at all unpleasant even though it seldom leads anywhere...

Date: July 30, 2015 01:04

Stoneage
Discussing setlists is a bit like talking about the weather - something you do to pass time. Not at all unpleasant even though it seldom leads anywhere...

thumbs up

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: July 30, 2015 01:09

At the Dallas show on 6 of June, I was expecting "the under assistant West Coast promotion man" which had been released in the US exactly 50 years before, day to day.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 30, 2015 04:32

RipThisBone
Stoneage

thumbs up

I don't think BV gets this. At this point, isn't EVERY Stones conversation redundant??? "I think they should have used MT........."

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 30, 2015 06:02

I think in the documentary "Being Mick" there is a discussion between Mick and Elton John, talking about a Madonna concert they recently attended. The point was they could feel from the audience perspective the loss of energy when she went to more obscure material. Like it or not, the Stones are leading a big, expensive Rolling Stones themed party, and that means playing the hits people heard on the radio and grew up with.

I always wonder how in the world they can make it fresh for themselves, playing the same songs decade in and decade out. I would get sick of it, I think. I can only guess that the crowd fires them up as well. They enjoy cranking up the crowd's energy and then sustaining it. Anything that causes the energy of the audience to flag is going to be avoided, since that energy is feeding the Stones' performance as well.

Personally, as a long time fan, I would love a set list of nothing but rarities, deep tracks, brand new songs, never before performed covers, etc. I would be in heaven. But, like someone said above, if it works for them so far, they aren't going to try and reinvent the wheel at this point.

I'm just very grateful that the Stones seem aware that there's not much variety in the live set these days, and compensate when it comes to live album releases. I interpret the "Sticky Fingers Live" release as being very much for the fans wanting something a little different than the usual live album. Same goes for "Stripped", "No Security", and the second disc of "Live Licks". They aren't the typical retreads of warhorse heavy setlists. They're solid collections for the die-hard fan, while the typical live show is geared toward a more casual fan.

Of course, I still think a perfectly good setlist can be constructed from semi-lost warhorses that would still please a large crowd.

So, I donate the following list, free of charge. You're welcome, Rolling Stones.

ROLLING STONES TOUR SETLIST 2016

Bitch
Rough Justice
It's All Over Now
Undercover Of The Night
The Last Time
19th Nervous Breakdown
Aint Too Proud To Beg
Waiting On A Friend
Play With Fire
Under My Thumb
Emotional Rescue
Slipping Away
Thru And Thru
Before They Make Me Run
Heartbreaker
Shattered
Time Is On My Side
Little Red Rooster
I'm Free
Get Off Of My Cloud

ENCORE:
Let's Spend The Night Together
Paint It Black
Street Fighting Man

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 30, 2015 07:12

Stoneage

- and just about as likely to have any effect.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: July 30, 2015 07:20

Gomper

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 10:28

I also think the idea of a more semi-warhorse oriented set would work better than a total rarities set. Heres my eighteen song proposal:
1. She's so cold
2. Under my thumb
3. Bitch
4. Angie
5&6. If you can't rock me/Get off of my cloud
7. You got me rocking
8. No expectations
9. You got the silver
10. Little T&A
11. Out of control
12. All down the line
13. Beast of burden
14. Little red rooster
15. Can't you hear me knocking
16. Dance pt.1
Encore
17. Wild horses
18. Star star

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: July 30, 2015 11:33

Wasn't there a live act at the Fonda some weeks ago?

Didn't they try a very different set list there?

Somewhat like this:

Start Me Up
2. When The Whip Comes Down
3. All Down The Line

--- Sticky Fingers session:
4. Sway
5. Dead Flowers
6. Wild Horses
7. Sister Morphine
8. You Gotta Move
9. Bitch
10. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
11. I Got The Blues
12. Moonlight Mile
13. Brown Sugar

--- Encore:
14. Rock Me Baby
15. Jumping Jack Flash
16. Can't Turn You Loose

And they released Sticky Fingers Live on iTunes, so I was told.

But: Who cares? It Looks like even the hardcore stonesfans here on IORR have forgotten this experiment in a very few hours ...

May be I'm wrong ...

cool smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 30, 2015 11:39

Next time they go on the road nothing will be changed. They can sell out stadiums doing their business-as-usal-stuff. It takes the Stones 10 days to rehearse these songs. Would they include lesser known and hardly ever played songs, they would have to rehearse for weeks to get the songs going. Rehearsal locations are very expensive, this would only shorten their income. So why do this, when general audiences can be pleased easily by doing "business as usual". They will never change a thing, except including one or two "new" songs. A 2016-setlist will be pretty much the same as a 2015-setlist. The Stones need the positive response from the audience to set themselves on fire. They only get a yawn from the audience when playing songs the general audience doesn´t even know. They get a roar when playing Wild Horses but would get a yawn by playing A 100 Years Ago. That is fact. The Stones know that.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 30, 2015 12:33

"They only get a yawn from the audience when playing songs the general audience doesn´t even know. They get a roar when playing Wild Horses but would get a yawn by playing A 100 Years Ago. That is fact. The Stones know that."

I`m not sure this is neccesarily right. Who says The Stones is just about energy? Do they really need the money that all the warhorses generate? I`d guess that they could easily afford a change of direction, going for deep tracks and rarities. Smaller audiences simply mean lesser roadies on the paylist. Why on earth shouldn`t the band spend more time rehearsing?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 30, 2015 12:55

noughties
...Who says The Stones is just about energy?...

...Why on earth shouldn`t the band spend more time rehearsing?

Maybe Mick thinks that the Stones are about energy. He doubted that the many slower Sticky Fingers-songs would work live. They hardly do slow ones in their shows. They want to keep the energy level high.

Maybe they don´t like to rehearse. Maybe they are too lazy... and rehearsals are expensive.

Date: July 30, 2015 13:20

High energy levels are needed in a large arena or stadium gig to generate excitement in the crowd which, in turn, further energises the band to raise their performance. The only way for them to tour rarities/deep cuts would be to play much smaller theatres and clubs and advertise it as such. In theory, the audience (who would have bought tickets in the knowledge this is NOT a greatest hits tour) should then be able to enjoy these seldom performed songs and not expect to hear Jumping Jack Flash/Brown Sugar/Satisfaction etc. thus avoiding any disappointment when these are not played.
Yes, this a pipe dream and it will never happen............

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 30, 2015 13:55

More cowbell

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 30, 2015 13:57

It's funny, Mick Jagger said in 2012 that he wanted to call the tour "The F-uck off tour"....yet the setlist, he completely plays to the gallery, he wants to make up his mind............

I think of this point, if the Stones had been playing to the gallery in 1971 they would never have made Exile........who knows what they wuld have produced but I doubt they would have taken a chance on that............(or Gomper for that matter... .... grinning smiley ... (just a thought......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 13:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: bpfinn94 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 16:34

I am new to posting here, but have been lurking for a long time. Just want to say thanks to Bjornulf for providing all the great information.
I just recently attented my 9th Rolling Stones concert in Quebec City. I have heard live a total of 72 songs in 9 concerts including Sway, Moonlight Mile, As Tears Go By, and Memory Motel. Sure, I would like to hear more rare songs, but the vast majority of those attending these concerts want to hear Satisfaction, HTW, etc. In Quebec City, very few of the 93,000 came to see or recognized ADTL.
Back when Four Flicks came out, I invested in an $1100.00 stereo system and attached it to my TV. My favorite of the discs was the Paris theatre show. However, my girlfriend much preferred the London stadium show because she knew more of the songs and she represents the typical fan that attends a show and that is what the Stones will continue to cater to. I have not been lucky enough to attend a club show, but was fortunate to see a No Security concert.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2015 18:45

jahisnotdead
I always wonder how in the world they can make it fresh for themselves, playing the same songs decade in and decade out. I would get sick of it, I think

Keep in mind that unlike 'normal' people jobs, they only work a few months at a time and not every day for 5 days a week like the average job.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 19:03

Change at least 4 to 5 songs per show and get rid of the internet vote: it is a waste of time>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 30, 2015 19:14

HighwireC

Somewhat like this:

Start Me Up
3. All Down The Line

4. Sway
5. Dead Flowers
6. Wild Horses
7. Sister Morphine
8. You Gotta Move
9. Bitch
11. I Got The Blues
12. Moonlight Mile
13. Brown Sugar

--- Encore:
14. Rock Me Baby
15. Jumping Jack Flash
16. Can't Turn You Loose

But: Who cares? It Looks like even the hardcore stonesfans here on IORR have forgotten this experiment in a very few hours ...

May be I'm wrong ...

cool smiley

Ha! No we haven't forgotten. Unfortunately very very few hardcore fans were able to see that show. Yes it's great they released part of it but what a friggin' tease in terms of what the next 15 shows were. Bait and switch indeed.

But realistically these guys aren't going to be around much longer and while set list discussions seemed to make sense 10 years ago, they really have become less important when you factor in the fact that these shows may very well be the last time many of us get to see them. People talk about bathroom breaks during Miss You and Keith's sets like they are going to have many more opportunities for them when the fact of the matter is they probably won't.

As much as I'd have loved to hear deep cuts and more SF this time out it's all completely eclipsed by the fact we are probably seeing the last great run by this amazing band so I'm more than willing to let them play whatever the hell they want. We aren't going to make a bit of difference talking about setlist changes at this point.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2015 19:21

Different set list, yes, obviously for recording that part for a live album. And it was in a club so they're not going to play their usual 20 something song set list, although 16 songs is pretty good.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 30, 2015 20:29

What intrigues me with regards to setlists is when a song is dropped mid-tour and is never heard again.

'Doom and Gloom' has been performed consistently (at every show apart from the Fonda Theatre and Belly Up Tavern? - I don't have the capacity to check) since 2012 but was dropped midway through the Zip Code Tour. I believe 'Can't Be Seen' was similarly unceremoniously discarded in 2014.

These changes stand out as, and i think this has been mentioned once or twice before, the rest of the setlist remains so unvarying.

Any thoughts on what causes songs to be dropped?

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 20:36 by Olly.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 30, 2015 20:40

Olly
What intrigues me with regards to setlists is when a song is dropped mid-tour and is never heard again.

'Doom and Gloom' has been performed consistently (at every show? - I don't have the capacity to check) since 2012 but was dropped midway through the Zip Code Tour. I believe 'Can't Be Seen' was similarly unceremoniously discarded in 2014.

These changes stand out as, and i think this has been mentioned once or twice before, the rest of the setlist remains so unvarying.

Olly you are a genius, you pick up on things that no one including myself thinks of. I just wonder sometimes if we could combine intellect we could say so much more. But sadly we are different people ( like Jagger Richards ) i would personally love to know what you think of the new keith album when it comes out.

Date: July 30, 2015 21:40

Olly

'Doom and Gloom' has been performed consistently (at every show apart from the Fonda Theatre and Belly Up Tavern? - I don't have the capacity to check) since 2012 but was dropped midway through the Zip Code Tour. I believe 'Can't Be Seen' was similarly unceremoniously discarded in 2014.

In my experience when a song doesn't go as planned for whatever reason, anyone has problems with it either musically or vocally the tune is dropped for the rest of the tour. Sometimes these issues are obvious and sometimes they are probably only perceived by Mick or one of the others.

I think they know they can always deliver 19 or 20 songs without having to risk one that doesn't meet their expectations.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 30, 2015 21:52

Naturalust
Olly

In my experience when a song doesn't go as planned for whatever reason, anyone has problems with it either musically or vocally the tune is dropped for the rest of the tour. Sometimes these issues are obvious and sometimes they are probably only perceived by Mick or one of the others.

I think they know they can always deliver 19 or 20 songs without having to risk one that doesn't meet their expectations.

Whilst that was probably the case with regards to 'Can't Be Seen' last year, the case of 'Doom and Gloom' still intrigues me: dropped, presumably never to be heard of again, after 64 consecutive performances on tour.

Were any of the musicians notably struggling with performing this song? Were they advised to drop it?

After having become so familiar in recent years, it was conspicuous by absence.

I wouldn't have batted an eyelid had it been dropped after the 50 & Counting or 14 On Fire Tours.

Olly.

Date: July 30, 2015 22:04

Olly

Whilst that was probably the case with regards to 'Can't Be Seen' last year, the case of 'Doom and Gloom' still intrigues me: dropped, presumably never to be heard of again, after 64 consecutive performances on tour.

Were any of the musicians notably struggling with performing this song? Were they advised to drop it?

After having become so familiar in recent years, it was conspicuous by absence.

I wouldn't have batted an eyelid had it been dropped after the 50 & Counting or 14 On Fire Tours.

Hard to say on that one, it's a good question and I suspect it was a Jagger decision, either he got tired of singing it or had some trouble in some of the last performances. Comparing some of the earlier showings of that tune with the last couple might provide a clue. Sorry but I don't like the song enough to subject myself to the process. smoking smiley

Date: July 30, 2015 22:14

A noble cause but a lot like herding the proverbial Stones setlist cats...confused smiley

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: July 30, 2015 23:00

HighwireC

Somewhat like this:

Start Me Up
3. All Down The Line

4. Sway
5. Dead Flowers
6. Wild Horses
7. Sister Morphine
8. You Gotta Move
9. Bitch
11. I Got The Blues
12. Moonlight Mile
13. Brown Sugar

--- Encore:
14. Rock Me Baby
15. Jumping Jack Flash
16. Can't Turn You Loose

May be I'm wrong ...

cool smiley

It wasn't really an experiment. They only did it once for a small, mostly hand-picked audience for the purpose of having a new recording to sell. I would have been ecstatic if they had played this on the tour. I was disappointed to only get .....crumbs from Sticky Fingers at Petco Park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 23:04 by likecats.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 30, 2015 23:49

BV-I've posted this before but I'll post it again. Indy on the 4th was my first Stones show since Soldier Field 9/23/97. Had I seen the 7/4/2015 setlist before the show I would have went in dissapointed. There is also a perceived perception on here during the Periscope feeds that once the cowbell starts, the show is over.

After going to a show I left with a much different impression. To answer your question, The Stones definitely have it figured out. 19 songs is the right amount of songs. I'd rather get 19 strong performances then 23 sloppy songs. Emotional Rescue was a nice addition to the set list in 2013. However, the performance was hit and miss. Some nights he "talked" the lyrics some nights. Not to mention he seemed winded after the song some nights. I think the song selections are those that they know they can "deliver" on each night. Another thing I noticed on this tour. As a fan I love CYHMK. I really wanted that and Dead Flowers or Sway in Indy. Instead we got Wild Horses and Bitch. I was a tad bit dissapointed but the band really nailed both songs. When listening to the live performances of CYHMK on this tour, I can't help but think maybe the band really doesn't care for the song. Minus the last performance of the tour for it, it seemed like they kind of phoned it in each night it was played. Milwaukee really stands out as an example. As much as I would love to hear Sway, Undercover of the Night, Monkey Man, Heartbreaker, and Silver Train. It seems like the band has the winning formula for what works best live. Midnight Rambler was never a favorite of mine but I can admit that it really stole the show on the 4th of July. As far as Keith songs go, We got All about you and I wanna hold you in Chicago in '97. I liked BTMMR and Happy much better live. More energy to those then the deep cuts. Thru and Thru would be nice but how much does slowing down for that one take from the show? When I was walking to my car after the show in Indy the only thing going through my head was, I really wished I was going to Detroit on Wednesday!

One last comment. For The Stones to listen to the fans would actually be a mistake. The fan vote thread each night for this tour proved that to me. As one person really wants to hear When the Whip comes down or what have you, three more people post something like this: PLEASE not when the whip comes down. It's so over played. So I'll leave the set list to the Stones themselves.

Date: July 31, 2015 00:30

likecats
HighwireC

Somewhat like this:

Start Me Up
3. All Down The Line

4. Sway
5. Dead Flowers
6. Wild Horses
7. Sister Morphine
8. You Gotta Move
9. Bitch
11. I Got The Blues
12. Moonlight Mile
13. Brown Sugar

--- Encore:
14. Rock Me Baby
15. Jumping Jack Flash
16. Can't Turn You Loose

May be I'm wrong ...

cool smiley

It wasn't really an experiment. They only did it once for a small, mostly hand-picked audience for the purpose of having a new recording to sell. I would have been ecstatic if they had played this on the tour. I was disappointed to only get .....crumbs from Sticky Fingers at Petco Park.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
You are both right HighwireC and likecats.
Compared to other ZIP CODE shows you where lucky StickyFingers-wise likecats!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home