Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 141
The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 29, 2015 17:18

There has been hundreds probably thousands of posts and comments regarding the Rolling Stones set list. They are posted everywhere, in any thread, live reports etc. It is like salt and pepper, you find it everywhere.

Don't we trust the band? Do we expect them to take our advices? Will Keith replace B4 and Happy just because we say so? Will they start playing 30 songs for 3 hours just because we say so? Or will they go on as they have done the past 53 years?

There might be many older setlist threads. At one point it is time to say the subject is debated to death, but I understand people do want to express their opinion, regardless of Mick and Keith care about what some say.

So here you go. Feel free to comment, and now I have a hook for most of the future set list discussions. And if there are some older ones, separate threads on set lists, feel free to report me and I will merge.

Thanks!

Bjornulf

SET LIST FIX
Date: July 28, 2015 23:49

Ok...so here I am waiting for the South America Dates / Tour

It is a given fact the Stones play from anywhere to 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes.

WE WANT MORE SONGS.....MR JAGGER

So...do the math MICK...shorter versions of the WAR HORSES.

Miss You needs to be gone forever and is to longs.

You could replace it with 2 songs.

Doom and Gloom GONZO...its tired already

Rambler is ..great but again we could get 2 for 1

Satisfaction...a sorter version and add another song.

The list goes on and you get my point.

Real quick...No Miss You, Doom and Gloom, Rambler dropped, Satisfaction

shorter

You can add 3 songs to the total and play 6 different songs

Ok MICK....you can thank me later

Re: SET LIST FIX
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2015 23:50

wow, what a great, unique thread!

Date: July 28, 2015 23:51

that's goes without saying trace

Date: July 28, 2015 23:55

SFD two for one!

YCAGWYW two for one!

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: July 29, 2015 01:35

It's only rock and roll can be replaced.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 29, 2015 01:41

They could do a medley.... one minute each of their entire catalog.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 29, 2015 01:43

josepi
They could do a medley.... one minute each of their entire catalog.

Lol nice work Josepi

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 29, 2015 01:51

Just a formal remark here. Since Sir Michael is a nobleman he should be addressed Sir not Mister.

Posted by: jaggered1 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 02:02

What about some oldies.

Around and Around
Mona
Down The Road Apiece

Some newer

Mean Disposition
Baby Break It Down

And any Chuck Berry

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 29, 2015 03:23

miss you will NEVER leave the setlist. opening night voodoo did not have miss you. i loved the setlist, but noticed it wasn't played. they added it to the second show. crowd loved it. it will never go away. i'd like a more '78 version, but the song gives keith and woody a breather.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 29, 2015 14:35

sundevil
miss you … but the song gives keith and woody a breather.

it's Jagger's equivalent to Keith' set - but I really could do without it

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 29, 2015 15:45

slewan
sundevil

Without what? Keith's or Mick's set?? grinning smiley

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 29, 2015 16:22

Let's keep our fingers crossed for more shows, boys and girls, and THEN we'll worry about set lists, OK? Time is no longer on our heroes side.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 29, 2015 16:56

Oh man

Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 29, 2015 17:23

Here we go again

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 29, 2015 17:33

For quite some years they didn`t play "Sympathy". For sure that seems to have changed. However, fans don`t like lame set lists.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 29, 2015 19:03

Does this mean set list discussions which are viewed as negative won't be merged into the set list complaints thread? This is getting confusing.

I do agree that it can get tiring hearing everyone's opinion on what the Stones should be playing, but it's pretty clear most hardcore fans would appreciate a bit more diversity. So many great songs that have never seen the light of day since they were recorded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-29 20:08 by Naturalust.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:12

They didn`t play "Sympathy" after Altamont.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:19

The problem is that most of the audience aren't like us saddos winking smiley

I'd love to see them shorten or drop some warshorses,but there's a problem :

I've been close enough to see the fear in Mick's eyes when the high rollers get restless during "rarities" such as Rocks Off or Worried about You, never mind deeper cuts.

It seems to work quite well for them.....They ain't about to reinvent the wheel.

sc uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-29 21:20 by straycatuk.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:31

I went to all of the shows this summer. Every time they digged out a rare song, i.e. rarer than the ones played every time, people started to wander around, sit down, talk etc. Not everyone but quite a few.

Another problem.. As soon as they move "out of the box" ... they mess up more. The reason why the shows got better and better during the tour is they are well oiled by the time they play show number 12, 13, 14 and so on.

Also, did you ever try to ask an old dog to sit down?

Bjornulf

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:31

The Stones play large venues, so they have to play their best-known songs to fill a stadium. Audiences expect the big hits and that is what they get from the Stones.

Since the Stones cannot please everyone in the crowd, they try to please the majority. The majority knows the 40-Licks/GRRRR-Sampler and that of course is what they want to hear. The majority does not own all 29 studio-albums, so most of the album-songs are unknown to audiences.

The Stones want the crowd to go wild and this only happens with Honky Tonk Woman, Miss You, Statisfaction, Brown Sugar etc. It would not work with rather obscure songs. Mick mentioned this in several interviews. So this Greatest-Hits-Setlist-concept will never ever change. You can always dream about exotic setlist with lots of never-before-played songs, but these dreams will never come true.

They will not turn the setlist upside down at their age. Plus, The Stones are quite average musicians, they can´t include 150 different songs in their live-repertoire and do a completely different show every night. Only a few can do that. The Stones sure can´t. See what happens, when they do a song that has never been done before, like Silver Train. It wrecks. They need the Greatest-Hits-setlist-routine, they always had rather stiff setlists and at the age of 70+ you cannot expect changes.

Appreciate what the Stones are still able to deliver, if not stay at home and listen to their studio-albums. The actual setlist-concept works well for both the Stones and the audience. It will not be changed.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:46

Keith please sing Sleep Tonight or Coming Down Again. It will make my life complete smiling smiley

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 21:52

I gave up hoping in more "sofisticated" setlist few years ago already. Now i take what they give me without any discussion, but i won't follow them in the Middle of the night on Periscope to listen to Miss You or It's only r'n'r' for the 914th time , sorry friends

Date: July 29, 2015 21:53

waterrats
slewan
sundevil

Without what? Keith's or Mick's set?? grinning smiley

I have been so fed up with Miss You since 81' LSTNT
I used to wind past it on my VCR in 83' and have done the same since on every DVD or CD release. Plus it has always been my bathroom brake when i see them live.
So please Mick, replace it with something else, anything else..sad smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 29, 2015 22:26

Also have Miss You up to here for years. BUT, if they replace it, you dont have a bathroom break anymore...

Date: July 29, 2015 22:43

HMS
Also have Miss You up to here for years. BUT, if they replace it, you dont have a bathroom break anymore...

Hehe. I never thought of that !!
I'm certainly not going to take a leak while Keith sings, so yeah, keep miss you in after all lol

Date: July 29, 2015 22:55

We want 2 for 1

TWO 4 ONE

Holy moly they could easily do 26 songs or more

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:21

can there be a sticky thread for discussions about set list discussions?

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:34

Am I the only one who feels like it really doesn't matter WHAT ORDER THEY PLAY THE SONGS IN?

If they are gonna stick to warhorses, and things the fans know, that's fine, but how about they MIX IT UP A BIT???

They could OPEN up with the dreaded "Miss You," and because of the element of surprise, people would likely say it was a great show, and fall in love with the song again...like the time they opened that club show, with Midnight Rambler -- people's heads nearly exploded!!!

OPEN with Rocks Off, open with "Bitch" -- Heck, open each show with the SURPRISE INTERNET VOTE SONG!!?!?!?!

Move up "Gimme Shelter" as second or third song, Keith sends that riff out into the evening air????

"Sympathy" with the pyro and lighting, third or fourth song, blow people away? See how fresh that sounds?

"You Can't Always Get What You Want," as the big early warhorse song before Keith's 2 song set --- saving "Honky Tonk" for the end????

"Tumbling Dice" as a final encore -- use the choir!!! Why not?

See how it doesn't matter???

THEY ARE ALL GREAT SONGS -- play them ALL and change the ORDER around!

Even better, CLOSE the show with "Miss You" so the fans who don't like it, could head for the exits and beat the traffic!

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 141

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home