Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: U2 show break after 10 songs
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 26, 2015 23:08

U2 show break after 10 songs on this tour - how is that? Reports please by those who´ve been there.

Is that strange? Or ok?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 10:22 by bv.

Re: U2 show break after 10 songs on this tour - how is that? Reports please by those who´ve been there.
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 26, 2015 23:16

u who

Re: U2 show break after 10 songs on this tour - how is that? Reports please by those who´ve been there.
Date: July 26, 2015 23:22

44 viewers - but no U2 show attendees so far - have to patient I guess.smiling smiley

Date: July 26, 2015 23:31

they take a break after 1 hour of show

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 26, 2015 23:48

Will report in October when they are in London>grinning smiley<

Date: July 26, 2015 23:55

caschimann
Is that strange? Or ok?

Well i don't understand the question.
Mick has a break while Keith sings, so as the edge don't sing, they have a break.
They are getting old, seems perfectly reasonable to me.
How long do they break for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-26 23:56 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: vintage stone ()
Date: July 27, 2015 00:02

Saw the Show between the Milwaukee and the Kansas City Concerts of the Stones in Chicago, 1. Night from 6, at United Center.for 60$ Section 105!
For me it is OK. Bands like Pink Floyd did a Break ob Most of their Shows. That's Not realy new!
And the Show is phenomanel. They used a fantastic Screen, sometimes the Band is inside the screen, to Play from there...And Most of the pitch are filled up of the 2 Different stages!

Date: July 27, 2015 00:19

vintage stone
Saw the Show between the Milwaukee and the Kansas City Concerts of the Stones in Chicago, 1. Night from 6, at United Center.for 60$ Section 105!
For me it is OK. Bands like Pink Floyd did a Break ob Most of their Shows. That's Not realy new!
And the Show is phenomanel. They used a fantastic Screen, sometimes the Band is inside the screen, to Play from there...And Most of the pitch are filled up of the 2 Different stages!

Just cant for the life of me see how U2 are phenomenal
The edge is a one trick pony and i'm done with Bonio

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 27, 2015 01:29

From what I've heard, its barely a break. They play a remix of the song for 5 minutes (I don't even know if they turn the house lights back on) and they play a video. Its not like they just leave you high and dry for 15 minutes. Its a 5 minute set/stage break that is different than most intermissions from what I've heard.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: July 27, 2015 02:37

I saw the show 4 times. It's a great show! The blend of music and technology is really effective. They sound great.

The "break" is a period of time where the band need to arrange for a new stage- the stage inside the huge screen. It lasts about 7-10 minutes.

The energy of the band was incredible as is the crowd. More so n Boston the NYC from what I observed.

Here are a few videos from the show-

Vertigo and I will follow:

[www.youtube.com]

"Lucifer's hands":

[www.youtube.com]

"Invisble"

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 27, 2015 03:05

I saw the last Boston show and yes, it was amazing. Great sound and visuals and they played with tremendous passion.
The 10 minute 'intermission' was not a big deal. Their huge screen shows different videos at different shows and I was (like some other posts I have read) not quite sure if their 1st song (Invisible) after the break was a recording or them. It's them live but you almost don't quite realize it at first.

Date: July 27, 2015 04:10

keefriffhards
caschimann
Is that strange? Or ok?

Mick has a break while Keith sings, so as the edge don't sing, they have a break.

the edge can sing. go to about 1:30 in the song

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:25

Edge surely can sing. He has a more technically proficient voice than Bono, but he doesn't have Bono's power or emotion. I'm surprised they don't do a spot every night where Edge takes lead vocals so that Bono can take a break, but he doesn't seem to need one.

The intermission doesn't really feel like a pause in the show. I saw them in Chicago. U2 finished playing "Until the end of the world", and then that song segued into a video of Johnny Cash singing "The Wanderer", which is a song U2 recorded with Johnny in 1993. After "The Wanderer" video was over, U2 start playing "Invisible" inside the video screen. At first you can't see the band, and you think it's still just audio on the PA, but they start slowly showing the band inside the screen playing. It's actually pretty seamless, it's not like the house lights just come on for 15 minutes, and then they come back on.

Date: July 27, 2015 10:18

keefriffhards
caschimann
Is that strange? Or ok?

Keef sounds like you haven´t been to the current U2 Tour - that´s ok.

SO:

Thanks all who´ve been there here for the infos I was curious about!!

Re: OT: U2 show break after 10 songs
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: July 27, 2015 12:56

It's great to see just 4 guys on stage playing Rock and Roll how they always have with no backing musicians and singers, all origional I think.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: July 27, 2015 13:10

thought this was a Stones site - I have no interest in U2 - no-one compares to the ROLLING STONES!

Star

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 13:29

pgarof
It's great to see just 4 guys on stage playing Rock and Roll how they always have with no backing musicians and singers, all origional I think.

U2 are well known to make heavy use of playbacks and backing tracks - up to 50% on some songs. So when you see them live, as I have done 6 times since the 80s, you're hearing half band,half karaoke.... And I'm seeing them in London in November. I wasn't going to bother this time, but the ticket was cheap for GA so I'll be there.

Date: July 27, 2015 15:32

Starr
thought this was a Stones site - I have no interest in U2 - no-one compares to the ROLLING STONES!

WRONG:

This is a site of Stones-Fans. Whatever we are interested in - U2, gardening, soccer a n d especially other artists we like - we discuss here.

Since almost two decades.

Welcome!

Date: July 27, 2015 15:33

grzegorz67
pgarof

U2 are well known to make heavy use of playbacks and backing tracks - up to 50% on some songs. So when you see them live, as I have done 6 times since the 80s, you're hearing half band,half karaoke.... And I'm seeing them in London in November. I wasn't going to bother this time, but the ticket was cheap for GA so I'll be there.

never heard that really. i thought most of it is was the keyboard player who is out of site

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:16

Starr

For me absolutely no-one compares to the Stones. But I do like other music including U2. U2 are also kind of lucky for me in a slightly related to the stones way.....I've only seen U2 once but it was the first ever show I went to solo. And that gave me confidence so that when the stones next played I happily went alone (no-one wanted to go to multiple shows with me!).

I'd planned to catch one of their London shows but haven't got a ticket yet. Was going to try and snap up a last minute cheap resale but after messing myself around and not seeing Paul McCartney or The Who this year (planned on seeing both) I might just get a ticket soon.

Btw, maybe I'm just totally un-rock and roll or getting old but I'd welcome a brief break during shows - which would mean freedom to drink (alcohol or soft drink) and not worry about when to take a bathroom break!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 16:19 by MarthaTuesday.

Date: July 27, 2015 16:27

I mean The Edge don't sing for 2 songs while Bonio has a break.
I don't mean he cant sing, its obvious he can sing.
I have seen them 5 times because my brother loves them.
But i find them boring, but hey what do i know. Ones man's meat is another man's poison. I used to like them, put it that way. Im pleased for you guys to enjoy any music you love. I just dont understand why they are the most successful band in the world. Give me Aerosmith or the Who any day.

Oh and it goes without saying The Stones are No1 in my book smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 16:31 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 16:31

In that case, Angus Young is MORE than a rock'n roll hero...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:47

Really enjoyed the June 25th United Center show, great show and fantastic sound.

Their full Chicago June 28th show here in 4K:
video: [www.youtube.com]

All the Best!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:58

keefriffhard4life
grzegorz67
pgarof

never heard that really. i thought most of it is was the keyboard player who is out of site

It is. To a point. There are triggers for some things, recordings - either from the studio record or done specifically for the tour. The gist of the performance is live, though.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:04

They do have a keyboardist who remains unseen, but the band have acknowledged him by saying something like "Terry Lawless on keyboards, in the underworld". If it's a song that has a very prominent keyboard part, like say "New Years Day", the Edge plays that. It's just the more underlying stuff the extra guy does.

They also play to backing loops as well. Like how The Stones do with "Sympathy for the Devil", but U2 do it for probably 50% of the songs. Also, for "Beautiful Day" for example, they use pre-recorded backing vocals. Yeah Edge is singing back up, but there's clearly more than one voice singing there, and it's ain't Adam or Larry! But musically speaking, Edge, Adam and Larry's playing is what you hear 95% of the time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:29

The majority of harmonies at a U2 show are recordings.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 18:50

Rush break twice for their current 3 hour show. The breaks are about 10 mins with a movie to keep you entertained. Good time to get a beer and bathroom break.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:41

u2's current "break" arrives after 55 mins of show (10 songs).

it's a techical break (crew sets up a special "secret" stage, and u2 sneak inside it, unseen by the audience)

said break is 4 minutes long, and a video strongly related, thematically, to the show is played during it.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 27, 2015 19:47

GasLightStreet

It is. To a point. There are triggers for some things, recordings - either from the studio record or done specifically for the tour. The gist of the performance is live, though.

I should hope so.

Olly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 20:11

Olly
GasLightStreet

I should hope so.

so here is the money question: which is more "live" - the current u2 tour, or the official "get yer ya-ya's out" with all the overdubs?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home