Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 18
Re: ALBUM TALK: Exile On Main Street
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 21, 2018 22:09

Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
Anyone think EOMS would not be as good if they had finished the songs that were from the France sessions that came out in 2010 - Pass The Wine, I'm Not Signifying, Plundered My Soul and Following The River?

I think Pass The Wine, Signifying and Plundered would've fit just fine.

Pass The Wine & Signifying are strong tracks, yeah. Plundered is a TD variation, Following is a 90's Jagger ballad with '71 backing tracks - wouldn't have fit I think, maybe on Voodoo Lounge.

It's unfortunate that something good wasn't put in place of the horrendous Following The River. That is pure tripe.

Date: January 22, 2018 12:31

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet
Anyone think EOMS would not be as good if they had finished the songs that were from the France sessions that came out in 2010 - Pass The Wine, I'm Not Signifying, Plundered My Soul and Following The River?

Pass The Wine & Signifying are strong tracks, yeah. Plundered is a TD variation, Following is a 90's Jagger ballad with '71 backing tracks - wouldn't have fit I think, maybe on Voodoo Lounge.

It's unfortunate that something good wasn't put in place of the horrendous Following The River. That is pure tripe.

'River' is awful. Yeah, I dont get it that Jagger himself does not have access to some Holy Grail tracks. Like an early version of 'Ventilator". or "Turd on the Run".

Date: January 22, 2018 12:47

ryanpow
Swayed1967
Sides 1 & 2 are perfection IMO while side 4 is fairly mediocre – they should’ve saved All Down The Line for Goat’s Head – it’s slightly less boring than Silver Train, but only slightly. A totally overrated tune IMO. Stop Breaking Down and Soul Survivor are weak efforts, period. Shine A Light deserved better but the released version is too sterile. That raw outtake with the raspy Jagger vocal is far superior. Side 3 has lots of goodies but I’m sorry – as much as I wanna buy the slightly pretentious argument that every song is integral to the album(in fact I myself have put forward the same argument on occasion because it sounds so cool), if I’m honest with myself I Just Wanna See His Face could’ve been a few minutes shorter or blotted out. I think that promo song Jagger did on piano could’ve been a better segue into Let It Loose.

While I don't agree with the main sentiment of this post, I think this is an interesting , thought provoking take on side 4. I "kind of agree" with some of it though. You do start to sense a drop off in Quality, like there wasn't as much focus on EOMS. But it somehow ended up being great anyways, enough to put it on the same level as the previous three albums.. That's part of what makes it so cool.

Also, I think that's an interesting take on ADTL. It's one of my favorites though.

Reading that post makes me think that the poster don't find atmosphere, swing, drive, or the sound of it all, important factors in rock..

The only thing I agree with is that All Down The Line is less «boring» than Silver Train.

I also like I Just Wanna See His Face as a standalone track, though, for it's darkness, mysticism and general creepy atmosphere smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2018 13:48

All Down The Line is one of those songs that best shows the incredible swing the Stones were capable of producing with Mick Taylor in the band. It's a kinetic power very few bands were able to emulate.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 22, 2018 14:54

The interesting thing about ADSL is that they recorded at least three totally different takes. Acoustic, early electric (Japan bonus track) and finished version.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:23

Silver Dagger
All Down The Line is one of those songs that best shows the incredible swing the Stones were capable of producing with Mick Taylor in the band. It's a kinetic power very few bands were able to emulate.

All Down the Line has such power and drive, it's absurd that anyone could put 'boring' in a description of it.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:26

LeonidP
Silver Dagger

All Down the Line has such power and drive, it's absurd that anyone could put 'boring' in a description of it.

For me it's one of their ultimate rockers - one of those songs that pops up now and again in the request spot these days that really generates excitement in the set.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:46

Silver Dagger
LeonidP
Silver Dagger

For me it's one of their ultimate rockers - one of those songs that pops up now and again in the request spot these days that really generates excitement in the set.

One of the very few non-hit numbers which was played on every tour except 1989/90. Probably because it worked.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:47

I enjoy Following The River. Anything new from that time period I will gladly accept...thumbs up

L'Wren Scott was taken aback by the lyrics.....Beautiful video also

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 22, 2018 19:19

LeonidP
Silver Dagger

It's one of those songs that the Stones cannot play well live It sucks everytime they try it.

To me Exile is the most solid album ever recorded. 18 good songs. I don't think any of the songs are in the argument for the Stones best but to me all solid and good songs. When you can listen to an album made up of 18 songs that you like then it's a great album.

It is tied for my all time favorite with Dylan's Blonde on Blonde. Blonde on Blonde has higher highs but lower lows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 19:20 by stanlove.

Date: January 22, 2018 20:37

Silver Dagger

Amen. ADTL features two of the greatest moments in Stones recorded history IMO. The first:
is the short gap from 0:18-0:20, when you got that steam engine huffing down the track; and the second (to be experienced together) at 0:28-0:30, the same section, but this time with that stinging lead guitar on top.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 22, 2018 20:44

GasLightStreet
Monsoon Ragoon
GasLightStreet

I love Following the River. I can figure what people don't like about it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 23, 2018 00:04

stanlove
LeonidP
Silver Dagger

It's one of those songs that the Stones cannot play well live It sucks everytime they try it...

Sorry, I don't agree w/ that at all, there's some serious kick-ass versions from '72 (at work currently so I can't check). If I recall they also did it on '78 tour and those versions were great too, just not as good as '72.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 23, 2018 05:26

All Down The Line live in '72 on L&G is not good enough for someone?
For me it's incredible. And the two live shows I saw on that tour proved it to me in person.
(Tho I've heard Live versions with Ron as well over the years).
imo, They do they hell out of it!!
For me Following The River is bad. I thik it forced and over-wrought.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-23 12:17 by hopkins.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: January 23, 2018 12:34

stanlove

Sorry to interrupt the ADTL bashing/praisal. I am all in favor of the almost-flat intro guitar, chugga chugga rhythms, splendid slide work and insane backing vocals smiling smiley

A momentary lapse back to "Following the River".
I find it easy to understand why people criticize it. Its syrup-y and slick, but what can I say - the romantic in me still enjoys it.

I would really like to hear the original and naked Hopkins track(-s) though, but I am thankful we got "Following". Without it I think we would have nothing at all: the solo piano-piece probably is just a Hopkins composition and without the Jagger vocals it would be left in the vaults forever.
And choosing between nothing and "Following" is rather simple. Just listening to the timber of the tone in Hopkins piano is enough to love it. IMHO.

Speaking of Hopkins´contributions.
It is said Hopkins did his work at Nellcote in the basement.
I have only seen the upstairs grand piano (featured in many images) and the basement el- piano (the one Jagger plays). Never the upright (I assume) he did this track on.
Any comments, input?

Date: January 23, 2018 13:06

RobberBride
stanlove

Sorry to interrupt the ADTL bashing/praisal. I am all in favor of the almost-flat intro guitar, chugga chugga rhythms, splendid slide work and insane backing vocals smiling smiley

A momentary lapse back to "Following the River".
I find it easy to understand why people criticize it. Its syrup-y and slick, but what can I say - the romantic in me still enjoys it.

I would really like to hear the original and naked Hopkins track(-s) though, but I am thankful we got "Following". Without it I think we would have nothing at all: the solo piano-piece probably is just a Hopkins composition and without the Jagger vocals it would be left in the vaults forever.
And choosing between nothing and "Following" is rather simple. Just listening to the timber of the tone in Hopkins piano is enough to love it. IMHO.

Speaking of Hopkins´contributions.
It is said Hopkins did his work at Nellcote in the basement.
I have only seen the upstairs grand piano (featured in many images) and the basement el- piano (the one Jagger plays). Never the upright (I assume) he did this track on.
Any comments, input?

Unfortunately, I'll have to second that smiling smiley

Date: January 26, 2018 05:36

Yeh that Nicky; Not infrequently i listen to the Angie basic tracks with Just Hopkins, Bill and Charlie. It's insanely gorgeous.

Recorded at the end of '72; same year they released and toured EOMS.
Nicky had been on every album since Between The Buttons with them as this point.
AND a full-on Live tour of North America playing all that super great stuff
he had creted and recorded with them.
He had already had huge records with The Who, The Kinks & The Beatles; my three other most favorite UK Bands ever.
I'm gonna listen to FTR again just for him. And try to enjoy it.
If only Mick had relaxed a bit, ya know?
It's his pinched, 'squeezed,' voice to the max there and, for me; it's not that it's too syrupy; tho the strings are a bit much.
I usually adore those orchestral touches on great pop records; I'm a huge fan of Angie to the disgust of many a good Stones fan, for example. I even think it very poignant.

I think you guys can hear that too, but overlook it; it just suspends my disbelief and leads to parody for me, that is mistaken for cruelty....
....naw, I just can't believe him on that one. It sounds too 'color by numbers'
He went too far. One more time he didn't have somebody in the studio he respected to just say 'try one singing pretty striaght, give us some mix options,' .... or something....
...cause i can't believe you guys can't hear that 'squeezed' 'tight' thing goin' on a bit there; or more than a bit...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 06:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:18

The only bad thing about "All Down the Line" I could manage to say was that I was very disappointed in the alternate mix on the flip side of "Happy." I love the EXILE mix. I love the official live versions except for the one on SHINE A LIGHT. However, I've noted those who spoke against it (especially the remark about Side 4) and the names have been struck from my Christmas card list.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:34

^^ Hopkins isn't on Between the Buttons.

Date: January 26, 2018 06:51

Actually I think Nicky's on two tracks. Some of it was done at Olympic, not just RCA with Jack.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: January 26, 2018 07:07

Turner68
It was 8 seconds into the first playing of rocks off that I realized that my life was Changing.

Exactly what happened to me. Such an excitement, such an explosion of energy !

I still get that kick, when I haven't heard it for a while.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: January 26, 2018 07:12

crumbling_mice
Perfection in every way.

But with a flagrance of nonchalance. Maybe perfection by accident.
But still perfect !

Date: January 26, 2018 07:21

Rocky Dijon
Actually I think Nicky's on two tracks. Some of it was done at Olympic, not just RCA with Jack.

He isn't.

Jack came to London for the sessions at Olympic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 07:23 by His Majesty.

Date: January 26, 2018 09:15

Well, Nico (among others) think it's Nicky. I suppose it's hard to know if it's just speculation. Just out of curiosity, why are you certain it isn't?

Date: January 26, 2018 09:52

Rocky Dijon
Well, Nico (among others) think it's Nicky. I suppose it's hard to know if it's just speculation. Just out of curiosity, why are you certain it isn't?

The words of the people involved at the time close to the time, but especially Nicky's own words in a 1967 Beat Instrumental in which he is excited that he'll be on a stones release for the first time... that being We Love You.

Given the stones were recording already by February 1967 it's understandible that through time their memories of when Nicky started recording with them will be a bit mixed up.

For example much later Nicky himself seemed to think he played on LSTNT.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: January 26, 2018 11:09

His Majesty

He is: played on "Cool, Calm and Collected" as well as "Something Happened To Me Yesterday"

Date: January 26, 2018 11:10

Meise
His Majesty

He is: played on "Cool, Calm and Collected" as well as "Something Happened To Me Yesterday"

Source?

I'm looking forward to this debate smiling smiley

PS: We Love You (Hopkin's first song with The Stones, according to himself) was recorded after Cool, Calm And Collected and Something Happened To Me Yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 11:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 26, 2018 12:26

Meise
His Majesty

Not according to the man himself close to the time of those tracks being recorded and released.

For the sake of Exile, lets move this to the Between The Buttons album talk thread. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-26 12:35 by His Majesty.

Date: January 26, 2018 12:38

Date: January 27, 2018 02:39

All Down The Line is one of the best rock and roll records anybody ever put out, including them, imo.
Not a trace of doubt ever. As sure as that PUNCH peeps are talking about 8 seconds into Rocks Off. Oh yeah.
This for many in many ways, is one of the best rock and roll songs EVER....

Man I was working some shit jobs back in the day; night shifts on factory lines for all kinds of brutal dock and line work...and I'd hear that line
about the whistle blowing....and then Taylor would take off...
In many way, it's the best doing the best of their best....you got all the main players kicking it at the same time and that wouled never happen again on record or on tour....

For me it's MASSIVELY Great, fully realized incredible rock and roll record. One of the All Time Best.
Studio AND Live. It's definitional seminal perfect Rolling Stones for some fans, and I'm one of 'em. Nothing else sounds like this. It's great.
It's a great song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 03:13 by hopkins.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home