Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 18
Re: Exile on Main Street, Disc 2
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 29, 2020 21:59

I Ain't Signifying is the highlight for me. And I think Plundered is great too, love Mick's vocals on it, even if all new.

Following the River is basically following Streets of Love, i.e. un-listenable, corny lyrics, ballad that has now been repeated umpteen times.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 29, 2020 23:53

But the music track is from '71-'72 !!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 30, 2020 00:11

I was hoping in 2010, 2011, they would continue with the deluxe versions and the bonus discs with unreleased material and some new vocals etc.. but they only did Exile and Some Girls really.. Let's hope the Goats Head Soup reissue has some interesting stuff on it

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: June 30, 2020 03:46

I liked disc 2 but honestly haven't played it too much. I was REALLY hoping for a monumental disc 2 for Some Girls due to the wealth of material and found it utterly disappointing. Maybe in 8 years it's get its due for the 50th anniversary.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 30, 2020 04:08

It was good to get it all. The one that stood out when it was released, and still now, is PMS. Fantastic and best track since Undercover of the Night.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 30, 2020 09:07

Has anyone got the super deluxe version of Exile.The one with vinyl,cds,dvd and booklet?I tried a search but couldn’t locate any comments on it.I was contemplating purchasing it.I was curious as to the booklet and dvd.Are they worth the money?Does the super deluxe contain the Japanese version of All down the line?
Any recommendations where I might purchase the Japanese version?Thanks in advance,
By the way I love following the river.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: June 30, 2020 09:08

Honestman
I'd always thought the best things on disc 2 were the Soul Survivor alternate version and ADTL. I'd never like Plundered.
Yes. The "All Down The Line" is truly superb.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 30, 2020 11:20

stargroover

Any recommendations where I might purchase the Japanese version?

It's available in Germany at [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.Amazon.de] and [Music.Apple.com] . Maybe in some other countries too but I couldn't find it in US, UK, etc.

The Deluxe-Edition Box-sets: [www.Discogs.com] , [www.Discogs.com] , latter one available at e.g.: [www.jpc.de] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] .

Some thoughts about Super-Deluxe-Boxsets: [iorr.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-30 11:45 by Irix.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 30, 2020 12:07

Thanks

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: June 30, 2020 12:55

If you like Plundered make sure you've got the iTunes version which has Taylor significantly higher in the mix and makes the song even stronger.

Date: June 30, 2020 13:35

flairville
If you like Plundered make sure you've got the iTunes version which has Taylor significantly higher in the mix and makes the song even stronger.

He is high in the mix already. How does that make the song stronger?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 30, 2020 16:01

Where can an American get the official version of alternate ADTL?

Date: June 30, 2020 16:08

flairville

Listen to the version and you’ll know. He does some brilliant work you can’t hear in the standard version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-30 16:10 by flairville.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 30, 2020 16:13

flilflam
I listened to this disc today and was impressed with only 4 of the 10 songs, while the rest were OK. These songs were Plundered My Soul, I'm Not Signifying, Following the River, and Good Time Women.

I doubt too many fans listen to these tracks, and it is nice to listen to them again.

What do you think of Disc 2 ?

I listened to it 2 or 3 times, by accident, and never again. It's just not very good. The original Exile is perfect the way it is. Adding leftovers to it is pointless and a bit ugly since the difference in quality is so big. I never understood the enthusiasm for Plundered My Soul. It has got nothing of the quality of any of the songs on Exile. Not in sound, not in structure, not in feel, not in the instruments and not in the vocals.

Date: June 30, 2020 17:58

flairville
flairville

Listen to the version and you’ll know. He does some brilliant work you can’t hear in the standard version.

I have it, and I have listened to it smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2020 18:36

flairville
flairville

That's the UK mix. It is better than the album version.

Album version

UK mix

Date: June 30, 2020 18:37

Captainchaos
Plundered My Soul is one the best Stones songs in the last 2o years. Why this was never performed live and brushed up gig tight remains a moot point. Title 5 is beautiful. The rest i haven't really listened to enough possibly after initial listen when buying.

I do think all the the outtakes from Exile Some Girls etc, when put together to make a decent LP is some great great recent work.

I'm Not Signifying is the best track from the album and it's, to me, one of the best Rolling Stones songs ever.

Date: June 30, 2020 18:43

rbk
If the "pointless" songs had been left off the ardent completists would be raging that the collection short changed the collector. There's no way to win with stuff like this.

Don't give 'pointless' that much credit, although its arguable those people are nuts. I listened to all of them several times and they became pointless for me to listen to because I don't like them. At all. Aside from the 4 I like, the rest of it basically sucks. Good Time Women is good but it's not essential. Following The River is horrible. It fights with Streets Of Love as one of the worst Stones songs ever.

I also happen to own the original vinyl and CD release and the Virgin reissue of DIRTY WORK, the worst Stones album, which is essentially a pointless album.

Date: June 30, 2020 18:59

TravelinMan
I actually listened to this a few days ago and like it. I think All Down the Line should have been on the US versions, and I can do without Title 5.

Signifying and Good Time Women are my favorites.

Is Taylor’s guitar new on Pass the Wine? I wasn’t really paying attention and it popped out to me at the end. I’ll have to listen again.

The rhythm guitar on Dancing in the Light sounds similar to Loving Cup at parts. It looks like it was recorded at Olympic and Stargroves. I wonder if the acoustic guitar on there is new.

Taylor only recorded on Plundered.

Keith recorded some electric on So Divine (what he did is horrible) and most likely Mick recorded new acoustic on Dancing In The Light.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2020 19:39

matxil
I never understood the enthusiasm for Plundered My Soul. It has got nothing of the quality of any of the songs on Exile. Not in sound, not in structure, not in feel, not in the instruments and not in the vocals.

Mick's vocals are forced... The result is awful. A more subdued perf would have been so much better. And the 2010 backing (barking?) vocals à la T-Dice sound artificial ("hey let's give this track an EOMS feel!" Wrong!)

Date: June 30, 2020 19:49

DandelionPowderman
flairville
flairville

I have it, and I have listened to it smiling smiley

So pleased for you!

Date: June 30, 2020 20:30

dcba
matxil
I never understood the enthusiasm for Plundered My Soul. It has got nothing of the quality of any of the songs on Exile. Not in sound, not in structure, not in feel, not in the instruments and not in the vocals.

Mick's vocals are forced... The result is awful. A more subdued perf would have been so much better. And the 2010 backing (barking?) vocals à la T-Dice sound artificial ("hey let's give this track an EOMS feel!" Wrong!)

Well, let's see...

I prefer his vocal(s) on Plundered a lot more than a majority of his vocal on LOVE YOU LIVE. For example, Brown Sugar is horrible. Absolutely horrendous. And to think he recorded that in a studio!!!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 30, 2020 20:53

GasLightStreet
rbk
If the "pointless" songs had been left off the ardent completists would be raging that the collection short changed the collector. There's no way to win with stuff like this.

Don't give 'pointless' that much credit, although its arguable those people are nuts. I listened to all of them several times and they became pointless for me to listen to because I don't like them. At all. Aside from the 4 I like, the rest of it basically sucks. Good Time Women is good but it's not essential. Following The River is horrible. It fights with Streets Of Love as one of the worst Stones songs ever.

I also happen to own the original vinyl and CD release and the Virgin reissue of DIRTY WORK, the worst Stones album, which is essentially a pointless album.

Don't forget No Use In Crying....

Date: June 30, 2020 22:21

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
I actually listened to this a few days ago and like it. I think All Down the Line should have been on the US versions, and I can do without Title 5.

Is Taylor’s guitar new on Pass the Wine? I wasn’t really paying attention and it popped out to me at the end. I’ll have to listen again.

The rhythm guitar on Dancing in the Light sounds similar to Loving Cup at parts. It looks like it was recorded at Olympic and Stargroves. I wonder if the acoustic guitar on there is new.

Keith recorded some electric on So Divine (what he did is horrible) and most likely Mick recorded new acoustic on Dancing In The Light.

I would have guessed Richards on acoustic.

Date: June 30, 2020 22:29

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan

Dancing In The Light

Probable line-up:
Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Wyman
Acoustic guitars: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards
Vocals: Mick Jagger
Piano: Ian Stewart
Percussion: Jimmy Miller & Mick Jagger

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: June 30, 2020 23:04

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan

Dancing In The Light

Probable line-up:

[timeisonourside.com]

But didn’t Richards actually say he recorded acoustic guitar on a few tunes?

Date: July 1, 2020 22:36

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan

Dancing In The Light

Probable line-up:

[timeisonourside.com]

But didn’t Richards actually say he recorded acoustic guitar on a few tunes?

Yes. LOL no one seems to really know, which is arrogantly ignorant.

I brushed a little acoustic guitar. I can't even remember on which song now. The original guitar track sort of stuttered and fell apart halfway through, so Don said, Well, we better replace that. But that's all I did really.
- Keith Richards, 2010

I brushed a little acoustic guitar. I can't even remember on which song now. The original guitar track sort of stuttered and fell apart halfway through, so Don said, Well, we better replace that. But that's all I did really.
- Keith Richards, 2010

I added bits and pieces here and there. I added some percussion. I added some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two. I added some acoustic guitar and some other things... In the spirit of Exile we added some girl background vocals on Tumbling Dice and Shine a Light. We had some nice background vocals on the originals. But I think in the end it's very much sounding like it was in those days, so to speak.
- Mick Jagger, 2010

Nothing was touched, with the drums or the bass or anything. I did one overdub with Keith, playing on So Divine, he played a bit of guitar-dub on that, but his parts where all done already you know, they where already there...
- Mick Jagger, 2010

Then again, Keith had no idea that Taylor recorded on Plundered. Why they were so divided is beyond stupid. Not only did that happen, no one really knew what year some of the tracks were from. Like this, this is ridiculous:

I got the boxes out. Universal said, We've got a fan helping us who's a walking encyclopedia of the Stones. Can he send you bootlegs from the period? He sent me loads of things, but when I listened to them I kept thinking, Wait a minute, this isn't from Exile, this is much later. I was listening to them with Keith, and Keith's going, Mick Taylor sounds fantastic on this one. And I said, Yeah! Doesn't he? And I looked at the list. And it wasn't Mick Taylor, it was B. B. King, and we only recorded it five years ago.
- Mick Jagger, 2009

1997 was a tad bit longer than "five years ago".

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 1, 2020 23:49

I must be dense or something, because i have never been able to figure out what Mick meant in that quote about the "walking encyclopedia" fan who was helping Universal compile their archive releases.

The way I read it, the fan gave them a list of what he was sending to them (the "bootlegs" apparently), which was complete enough to properly identify the track with BB King.

But when Keith and Mick heard it they thought it was Exile-period Mick Taylor? Then on further reflection Mick at least realized it was recorded way more recently than then?

So the conclusion is that somehow the fan who was helping them didn't know what he was sending them (which contradicts the list and its completeness), or that Mick and Keith are easily fooled?

Personally I cannot visualize mistaking BB Kings guitar for Mick Taylor's. But who knows.

Its just kind of puzzling, but I often find quotes from either of the twins, or for that matter, pretty much anyone else connected with the band, more puzzling than instructive. Kind of Andrew Oldham's basic strategy: if you can't impress them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t.

jb

Date: July 1, 2020 23:56

jbwelda
I must be dense or something, because i have never been able to figure out what Mick meant in that quote about the "walking encyclopedia" fan who was helping Universal compile their archive releases.

The way I read it, the fan gave them a list of what he was sending to them (the "bootlegs" apparently), which was complete enough to properly identify the track with BB King.

But when Keith and Mick heard it they thought it was Exile-period Mick Taylor? Then on further reflection Mick at least realized it was recorded way more recently than then?

So the conclusion is that somehow the fan who was helping them didn't know what he was sending them (which contradicts the list and its completeness), or that Mick and Keith are easily fooled?

Personally I cannot visualize mistaking BB Kings guitar for Mick Taylor's. But who knows.

Its just kind of puzzling, but I often find quotes from either of the twins, or for that matter, pretty much anyone else connected with the band, more puzzling than instructive. Kind of Andrew Oldham's basic strategy: if you can't impress them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsh*t.

jb

HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome!

Well, for one thing, the drum sound yet alone the entire sound would've sounded different.

BLARINGLY DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!

Some fan sent them a bunch of bullshit with included an officially released track that was able to fool Mick and Keith that they couldn't remember. With BB @#$%& KING.

Absolute bullshit. I bet Mick just makes things up like that sometimes because, you know, if he is going to be bothered, you know, blood transfusion in Switzerland and all that.

Exile song sources
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 8, 2020 17:43

If this information is on this site and I overlooked it, please forgive me...BUT...

Is there a definitive resource for:

1. Which Exile' songs pre-date Nell Cote. Like "Loving Cup" which is said to pre-date to the Let It Bleed sessions.

2. Which Exile' songs were mostly formed, written and recorded at Nell Cote.

3. Which Exile' songs were little more than fragmentary jams recorded at Nell Cote and later fleshed out and finished in LA.

4. Which Exile' songs were entirely created and recorded in LA and have nothing to do with Nell Cote.

I've long thought the Nell Cote sessions were more "legendary" than productive.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1238
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home