Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 18
Re: ALBUM TALK: Exile On Main Street
Date: January 27, 2018 05:15

His Majesty
Rocky Dijon
Well, Nico (among others) think it's Nicky. I suppose it's hard to know if it's just speculation. Just out of curiosity, why are you certain it isn't?

The words of the people involved at the time close to the time, but especially Nicky's own words in a 1967 Beat Instrumental in which he is excited that he'll be on a stones release for the first time... that being We Love You.

Given the stones were recording already by February 1967 it's understandible that through time their memories of when Nicky started recording with them will be a bit mixed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 05:17 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: January 27, 2018 05:18

Rocky Dijon
The only bad thing about "All Down the Line" I could manage to say was that I was very disappointed in the alternate mix on the flip side of "Happy." I love the EXILE mix. I love the official live versions except for the one on SHINE A LIGHT. However, I've noted those who spoke against it (especially the remark about Side 4) and the names have been struck from my Christmas card list.

Rocky, is the B Side mix the alternate version? The Clapton version, that Keith supposedly preferred? Or just a different mix of Exile version?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 27, 2018 05:37

Cheers to both our Hopkins and theirs. Well said and well-played. Everyone acquits themselves well with ADTL. That and "Rocks Off" are bliss for me as well. Much of EXILE is. Add "Let it Loose," "Rip This Joint," "Tumbling Dice," "Sweet Virginia", "Loving Cup," "Happy", "Stop Breaking Down" "Shine a Light," and "Soul Survivor" and you've got 11 reasons I'll forgive this band for just about anything.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 27, 2018 14:39

The essentials of Exile in 1970. grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 14:39 by His Majesty.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 27, 2018 15:08

hopkins
All Down The Line is one of the best rock and roll records anybody ever put out, including them, imo.
Not a trace of doubt ever. As sure as that PUNCH peeps are talking about 8 seconds into Rocks Off. Oh yeah.
This for many in many ways, is one of the best rock and roll songs EVER....

Man I was working some shit jobs back in the day; night shifts on factory lines for all kinds of brutal dock and line work...and I'd hear that line
about the whistle blowing....and then Taylor would take off...
In many way, it's the best doing the best of their best....you got all the main players kicking it at the same time and that wouled never happen again on record or on tour....

For me it's MASSIVELY Great, fully realized incredible rock and roll record. One of the All Time Best.
Studio AND Live. It's definitional seminal perfect Rolling Stones for some fans, and I'm one of 'em. Nothing else sounds like this. It's great.
It's a great song.

MASSIVELY agree!

Rolling Stone album review on Exile
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 15, 2018 12:26

Eventually found this interesting review on EOMS from May 1972:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 12:27 by Meise.

Re: Rolling Stone album review on Exile
Date: August 15, 2018 13:02

Thanks!

Here's the Goats Head Soup-review: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 15, 2018 13:59

..."but I still think that the great Stones album of their mature period is yet to come. Hopefully, Exile on Main Street will give them the solid footing they need to open up,
and with a little horizon-expanding (perhaps honed by two months on the road), they might even deliver it to us the next time around.
" (Lenny Kaye).

...Unfortunately, he was wrong...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 14:20 by Stoneage.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 15, 2018 14:08

Stoneage
..."but I still think that the great Stones album of their mature period is yet to come. Hopefully, Exile on Main Street will give them the solid footing they need to open up,
and with a little horizon-expanding (perhaps honed by two months on the road), they might even deliver it to us the next time around.
" (Lenny Kaye).

...Unfortunatelly, he was wrong...

Since we DID get Exile, I wouldn’t say “unfortunately”... But indeed, he was wrong.

Date: August 15, 2018 14:17

Well, if you read the GHS-review (albeit by another reviewer) the "horizon-expanding, more mature album did come (although not to raving reviews) smiling smiley

These guys knew their stuff, but we have to remember that they did get these albums in real time, without the digesting and post-reflections we've made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 14:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 15, 2018 14:33

Dandy, do you know how to add a spelling programme in the comment section? Mine seems to be set on Swedish.
Which is useless if you write in English. It would help immensely. I can't even spell to unfortunately...

Date: August 15, 2018 14:40

Yeah, it's pretty annoying with all the red lines smiling smiley

You'll have to mark the text you've already written, and then right-click it. Then you'll see your settings (on your browser, though).

I just found out, thanks to your question. No more red lines! thumbs up

Date: August 15, 2018 14:59

Thanks, Dandy! No more annoying red lines. Phew... But I wonder if you have to do that every time you post?

Date: August 15, 2018 15:05

Test: No, apparently not smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2018 15:10

Great! A pity it took eight years to figure out this!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 15, 2018 21:44

Did the writer for this rag that tries to pass as journalism (hang on I have to stop laughing ) actually listen to the album in question in (Exile on Main Street) the article ? or as I suspect he just phoned it in .This coming from the rags hey day -dare I say golden era .

Exile on Main Street most undrerrated song
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 5, 2018 11:55

Sweet Black Angel. I bet this song has never been performed in concert.

Re: Exile on Main Street most undrerrated song
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: December 5, 2018 11:59

Chris Fountain
Sweet Black Angel. I bet this song has never been performed in concert.

I think they did play it once in 72, but I agree with you that it is a fantastic song.

Date: December 5, 2018 12:02

Live in 1972:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 5, 2018 12:08

Ok - the 1972 concert version is too electric for me. That is not the intent of this masterpiece. It is a disservice on how this song was originally recorded.

Date: December 5, 2018 12:18

It would have been interesting to hear a good mix of that live take, with the guitars down in the mix and vocals and horns up.

It sounds good.

Sweet Black Angel was the first song The IORR Band played together on stage (during the soundcheck), after we met for the first time, btw. We played it in the show as well smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2018 12:22

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 5, 2018 12:32

Don’t think I’ve ever heard that live version, it’s ambitious. Could have also been played acoustically in the asweet Virginia slot.

Most underrated?: Turd On The Run for me

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2018 12:39

Probably didn't want to touch it because of political implications...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 5, 2018 13:08

Chris Fountain
Ok - the 1972 concert version is too electric for me. That is not the intent of this masterpiece. It is a disservice on how this song was originally recorded.

Yeah that was disturbing. (Thanks for posting it Dandie)

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 5, 2018 13:20

My friend Anthony's favourite Stones track, The first time I played him EOMS he was in raptured, me it was "All Down The Line"..

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 5, 2018 13:37

Chris Fountain

Very different from the album version, I think this live version is great, very interessting. Still it might some more elaboration. What as pity they didn't give it another try

Date: December 5, 2018 13:51

slewan
Chris Fountain

Very different from the album version, I think this live version is great, very interessting. Still it might some more elaboration. What as pity they didn't give it another try

yeah, we can hear that it was good, despite the awful sound mix.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 5, 2018 13:59

Maindefender
Don’t think I’ve ever heard that live version, it’s ambitious. Could have also been played acoustically in the asweet Virginia slot.

Absolutely. I would even say "criminally underrated". In the same way like, let's say "Too Tight" from BtB, but that's a different album of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-05 14:03 by retired_dog.

Date: December 5, 2018 14:02

retired_dog
Maindefender

Absolutely. I would even say "criminally underrated".

Soul Survivor deserves a mention here, too. Both of these tunes are very important album cuts, yet very few talk about them..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home