Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Metallica Opening in Frisco
Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: August 3, 2005 12:30

Ufff.. what shows!!!! I will love be here mates!! What song could them play togethers??

be HAPPY

Re: Metallica Opening in Frisco
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 3, 2005 13:12

The first warming up gig of Metallica since 1992.

At least no one can accuse The Stones being cowards in choosing their warm-ups... perhaps bigger warm-up acts will make them work harder? (Well, that wasn't the case with ZZ Top in Helsinki 2003) - or do they need bands of that caliber to sell out the venues?

Bono: be ready for a call.

- Doxa

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 3, 2005 13:23

Ya others may laugh, but after hearing the latest Stones-tunes out there
I dont doubt Bono or the other lads in bomber band
from the Green Island of The Emerald Fair and the Roísin Dubh
would accept such an offer... They know their place in rock succession.

Date: August 3, 2005 19:57

I dont think this is about the sell out the venues.... this is a bigger risk got a so good band how opener than left any hundres of places frees... Really this is a BIG risk... But that´s ok... Probably they want play with the best bands (or bands they love).... and this bands... well.. thats an honour for them... I guess....

Now, my next question is...... WHY this bands do it?? Mean.. AC DC, Metallica, Guns and Roses, Bob Dylan... why they open for the Stones?? They want play with his idols/mates?? This is a pleasure theme?? Or maybe this is all bussinnes and playing with them, they will got a lot of promo and will got new fans??? Um... I think AC DC does it for play with his idols... what about the rest?? Why Metallica do it??

be HAPPY

Posted by: Chrissie ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:28

Why do yours Enggglish sucks badly ?!?! LOL

Hell we'll never know...maybe too much listening to Metallica winking smiley

HAHAHA

Chris

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:39

I am curious as to how much money the opening act makes. Anyone know?

Agree with kaskatanas, don't think they do it to sell-out the shows. They would announce sooner. I think they just try to add some value to the concert with high-popularity acts like Metallica, Pearl Jam, Beck, etc.

Karl

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:44

IT ISN'T FRISCO!!!!

GET IT STRAIGHT...SAN FRANCISCO...GET IT?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:51

Right you are SDStones! Only those of us who live here can call it 'Frisco and even we don't call it that! A little respect please!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:57

I visited California once. It was a nice place to visit, but I was glad when I got back to the States.

:-)

Karl

Date: August 3, 2005 21:17

I was glad when you left...I fly over you time to time...

Date: August 3, 2005 21:24

Chrissie and Sdstonesguy, my apologies.... first for kill your language, and second for insult your town... I dont know really how I ve have the balls for think somebody goes to understand my english or even I was talking about San Francisco... stupid me.....

ChrisM ... you are so respectable!!! Get out of my life.. dont come back!!

be HAPPY

pd : Just for the records .. Im spanish, studied french on high school, I can understand some of german and greek... Unluckly never studied english.. I think Im doing it pretty well for be my own teacher.....

pd2 : Just for the records... Im spanish, living in Spain, never been in USA, never studied the number and names of all the American cities... Maybe I dont have culture... I know... Never been in San Francisco of course, never know the respectables "SanFranciscanas" traditions, or what´s insulting for them or not... still so, I start to know the "SanFranciscana" sympathy... so, I think never Ill visit this town too (not even if the Stones are on town).. even when this town is called with so wonderful spanish name....

By the way... I respect almost everybody ChrisM

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 3, 2005 22:04

Kaskatnas, apologías mi amigo. My statement was intended as a joke in the same spirit as SDStones and Chrissie. And by the way, I'm very happy! San Francisco is a great town so come and visit and I'll buy you a beer!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-03 22:28 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: August 3, 2005 22:07

Lars Ulrich says it's an honour to open for the Stones. He said that they played with ACDC and Iron Maiden and that the Rolling Stones, THE ultimate rockband, was the only big band they never played with.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: August 3, 2005 22:58

Most of the members in "todays big bands" like Metallica, ACDC and so on, actually grew up listening to da Stones. Many of them consider Stones being the ultimate stadium rock band who actually started the whole stadium rock thing. If Stones camp calls and asks them to open up a Stones gig, they'll do it any day, any time, any place.
If you would be a blues guy and Robert Johnson calls and asks ya to support him.....

Jan Richards
www.stonesvikings.com

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: August 3, 2005 23:07

Metallica supporting The Rolling Stones should be a treat.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: August 3, 2005 23:11

About pushing ticket sale with big name support bands, this was exactly what happened at the Helsinki gig 2003. The poor ticket sale pushed the local promotor to get in a big band to boost the sale. ZZ Top has for years been a big band in Finland attracting lots of guys that would not go and see Da Stones. Result was a near sold out 45.000 capacity stadium.

Jan Richards
www.stonesvikings.com

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 3, 2005 23:17

they already sold out the first San Fran show and 80% of the second so I seriously doubt it was too boost ticket sales

Date: August 3, 2005 23:39

I just got the "joke" in the Chrissie´s post... this is my fault, Im sorry.. but no problem Chris!! I will buy the second beer if you are agree... ok mate??

Really the tickets was sold so faster when ZZ Top was confirmed in Helsinki?? .. maybe you are right Jan... but how many people go to see ZZ Top when they play their own concerts?? Really do you think they have the "power" of help so much to the promotors in a Rolling Stones show?? Or this was just than people decided buy the Stones tickets at last moment?? Umm....

Anyway, Ket say well, first show sold out and second one in a 80 %... we are not talking about money... we are talking about glory, popularity, rock and roll...

be HAPPY

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 3, 2005 23:45

im goin to c ZZ Top 8-31...tics were 60.00

Posted by: mcparty ()
Date: August 4, 2005 07:12

please don't call it frisco. call it 'san francisco' or call it 'the city'.

'nuff said.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 4, 2005 07:24

I'm hoping that the choice of Metallica is a way of the Stones challenging themselves ... if they don't play an edgy adventurous show Metallica could conceivably upstage them.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 4, 2005 11:55

I was at Oakland in 99 and Pac Bell/Oakland in 02, can I call it San Fran like I always do?

Love to be there this time but still trying to find a job.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 4, 2005 20:08

The 2nd show isnt anywhere near 80% sold out. Metallica is huge in the bay area. This is a calculated attempt to boost ticket sales. I bet Metallica is making a hefty amount of money for the privelege. Not sure what the exact financial arrangement is but in 1989 they paid Guns N Roses a million dollars to open the 4 shows in Los Angeles.

Date: August 4, 2005 20:17

Where did you get this info dan? This sounds absurd. There is no way GnR was making $250K per show, even in 89. Ticket prices were around $25 each back then (I think the Stones were $30-35...I'll check my stub). Those 4 gigs grossed somewhere around $7.2M. This is before renting the place, paying crew, etc. etc. etc. I HIGHLY doubt the opening act got 14% of the GROSS.

Date: August 4, 2005 20:48

Some book on Guns N Roses. It was actually 400k for the first 2 shows (the first 2 to go on sale, Oct 21-22) and the 2nd set of shows which went on sale a month later (Oct 18-19) it was 600k. Remember Guns N Roses were the biggest (newer) band in the world at that time and were responsible for selling a lot of those tickets. They could have filled up at least 1 night in that stadium on their own so 14% of the gross really isn't much of a stretch.

Date: August 4, 2005 21:12

Sounds terribly high to me...I wonder what the net was of the concerts. I'd imagine 2 2 night stands being expensive to put on. Then you get to the net & you give $1M to the warm-up act. Did the Stones lose money on these shows? Again, doesn't sound right to me.

Date: August 4, 2005 21:14

Ok...nevermind...still 4 in a row... - still, did the Stones lose money here?

Date: August 4, 2005 21:39

I doubt they lost money, it was around 300,000 tix and I think the tickets were a few bucks more than in other cities. Guns N Roses was a lot more than just a warm up act. They drew a lot of people. They probably didnt pocket as much as if only Living Colour opened but then again they may not have sold out 4 shows. But it was one of the biggest shows ever to play LA so I doubt anyone lost money on the deal. Seeing 3 great bands for $35 along with Axl's sideshow offered a great value for the money. I am sure Metallica and Motley Crue are getting paid a lot of money but then we are talking about guarantees in the range of 3-5 million for these shows.

Date: August 4, 2005 21:55

Ok...so 75,000 tickets per show (even with part of the stadium blocked off) @ $35 each is $10.5M gross. I guess they could have made some money if those figures are right. Still...shouldn't have ever paid them a million bucks. As I recall it all ended up with Keef holding a gun to Axl's head (literally) for using the "N" word repeatedly.

I went to the earthquake relief gig (1st show) in Oakland...my very first concert...I was 13.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 4, 2005 22:04

sdstonesguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok...so 75,000 tickets per show (even with part of
> the stadium blocked off) @ $35 each is $10.5M
> gross. I guess they could have made some money if
> those figures are right. Still...shouldn't have
> ever paid them a million bucks. As I recall it
> all ended up with Keef holding a gun to Axl's head
> (literally) for using the "N" word repeatedly.
>
> I went to the earthquake relief gig (1st show) in
> Oakland...my very first concert...I was 13.

A picture of Keith holding a gun to Axls head would be worth a million bucks right there!

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home