Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Deep Purple this morning on NBC's The Today Show
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 23, 2015 22:07

As a drummer myself, I always thought that Ian Paice was one of rock's most overlooked players. You rarely hear him mentioned among the great rock drummers, and he should be in the top 5.

I have to give these guys credit, because at least they still have three original members performing.

Blood, Sweat, and Tears are out there touring without ONE original member. Many other bands JUST have one original player. Not sure how you can bill yourself as the the band in those cases.

In any event, here they were this morning. Wish they had at least given them two songs to play instead of just the obligatory "Smoke on the Water," but Steve Morse, as usual, smokes on guitar.

[www.today.com]

Re: OT: Deep Purple this morning on NBC's The Today Show
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 23, 2015 23:00

I love Ian Paice. Just like Charlie he plays very loose and brings a jazz feel to the band.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 23:57

Hey Mongoose, actually Purple only has one original member since Ian Gillan and Roger Glover replaced original vocalist Rod Evans and bassist Nicky Simper. They were part of the Mk1 version of Purple who's 2 main hits were Hush and Kentucky Woman.
I've always been a fan of Ian Paice's drumming. He even plays with Paul McCartney and David Gilmour in the concert where they did all the old r'n'r songs. It's on Youtube.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: July 24, 2015 00:17

DGA35
Hey Mongoose, actually Purple only has one original member since Ian Gillan and Roger Glover replaced original vocalist Rod Evans and bassist Nicky Simper. They were part of the Mk1 version of Purple who's 2 main hits were Hush and Kentucky Woman.
I've always been a fan of Ian Paice's drumming. He even plays with Paul McCartney and David Gilmour in the concert where they did all the old r'n'r songs. It's on Youtube.

You're right, DGA35.

I just always think of Ian and Roger as original members because they were in the band when I first really got into them.

Jon Lord is sorely missed, and was such a big part of that sound.

I was in an Atlanta band in the 70s called Short Notice, and we did a mighty fine version of "Might Just Take Your Life" from the "Burn" album.....great tune!

In the 80s, whenever a bunch of us had a surprise snow day off, we got into a habit of putting on the "Made in Japan" album for an all day party! Ahhh.....youth.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 24, 2015 00:25

SMOKE ON THE WATER from the Today Show
[www.youtube.com]

Luv Steve Morse on it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 00:26 by triceratops.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 24, 2015 11:16

Ian Gillan sounds particularly good here. Happy to hear it. And it's nice to see they're getting some exposure in America. It seems they've been out of the loop over there for a while.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: July 24, 2015 15:10

Machine Head one of the best records of all time

Date: July 24, 2015 19:00

Mk1 of Deep Purple is like the first version of Fleetwood Mac and a lot of other legendary bands. We just don't think of them until the version gels that creates their breakthough album/hits.

For me Mk2 with Machine Head is as good as it gets. Find the deluxe 25th anniversary CD with extra versions of the songs and my favorite "When a Blind Man Cries" which wasn't on the original album

[en.wikipedia.org]

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: July 25, 2015 00:26

What current Mk is Purple at now? I saw them in 85 when the Mk 2 version reunited for the Perfect Strangers tour. They've had members come and go since.

Date: July 25, 2015 18:44

DGA35

Live At The Cavern Club is available on dvd. Let's not forget the late, great Mick Green is also on guitar. The main reason I bought the dvd.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

"Rock and Roll is a nuclear blast of reality in a mundane world where no one is allowed to be magnificent." - Kim Fowley

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: July 25, 2015 21:22

I wouldn't say Deep Purple has been out of the loop, it's more like promoters in North America not wanting to pay $125,000. That was the last figure I heard they were shopping around. I like them, but I won't pay $200.00 to see them in a theater.

Date: July 26, 2015 03:31

DGA35
What current Mk is Purple at now? I saw them in 85 when the Mk 2 version reunited for the Perfect Strangers tour. They've had members come and go since.

i think MK6

Date: July 26, 2015 05:33

keefriffhard4life
DGA35

i think MK6

I thought it would be higher than that, around 8 or 9. When they disbanded in 76, that was Mk4 already with Tommy Bolin replacing Blackmore.

Date: July 26, 2015 06:53

DGA35
keefriffhard4life
DGA35

i think MK6

I thought it would be higher than that, around 8 or 9. When they disbanded in 76, that was Mk4 already with Tommy Bolin replacing Blackmore.

mk5 was with JLT. MK6 was with steve morse. i guess they are up to MK 7 because jon lord passed away. they are trying to count the joe satriani version as MK6 but no one doe since it was a shirt fill in

Date: July 26, 2015 07:28

Almost Spinal Tappish!

Date: July 26, 2015 07:54

DGA35
Almost Spinal Tappish!

not really. the rolling stones have had 3 different official lineups but thats not counting the pre first album lineups, the multiple guest keyboard and bass players. DP changed sounds and replaced the singer and bass player from the first few albums. they had to replace the singer and bass player again and then blackmore left while the band needed 1 more release for the record company. after that the most popular lineup reunited for 6 years and then JLT was brought in to sing when the label made them keep the DP name. after that ian was back because the label forced blackmore to bring him back and then blackmore left after that tour. since then its been the same lineup other than having to replace jon lord

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 26, 2015 13:41

trainarollin
I wouldn't say Deep Purple has been out of the loop, it's more like promoters in North America not wanting to pay $125,000. That was the last figure I heard they were shopping around. I like them, but I won't pay $200.00 to see them in a theater.

I just saw them in Lewiston, NY for $12.00.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:46

Thanks for the link.

I was so very sorry to hear about Jon (been 3 years already!).

For me, Mark II was the Deepest Purple. I'm sure it was tough for the guys in the band, but the tension between Jon and Ritchie (as well as Ritchie vs everyone) was what brought out the best (and worst) of the band.

For the few of you here who are too young to remember, Smoke on the Water got so much airplay in the Summer of 1973, in some markets it was possible to hear the song on the radio for as much as 20-30 minutes, simply by switching to a different station each time the song ended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home