Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Keith interview - MOJO, September 2015
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: July 29, 2015 23:16

Great read. Interesting that Jordan talked him out of retirement. And I love the approach that he masterminded for the album: getting Keith on everything but drums ...

Seems we have Jordan to thank, in large part, for Keith's return to form.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 30, 2015 00:22

Thought the other day Keith sounded like he was drinking again.
In a way i think Keith was happy and grounded before the Stones tour.
Its hard for a drinker to stay away from it when your waiting 3 to 4 days between concerts, just hanging around in hotels.
Hope Keith is alight, he is too old for heavy drinking, and i cant see the man doing half measures somehow.. All or nothing, its the same with me..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 30, 2015 00:48

Lorenz, thanks for the read. It was great. gonna buy the magazine, when it hits the shops in holland. maybe next week.
jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 30, 2015 00:50

Maybe i missed it, but keef has not yet said he will be do some solo touring, id he, in the Mojo magazine.

i really hope he will.

jeroen

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 30, 2015 02:26

Yes thanks for posting full article, I found some gems (for me).

Very interesting he even said or thought 'retirement' after Life book tour- also read an interview from his wife Patti saying around the same time she took/ got rid of all his recording equipment in their basement, and he hardly goes down there anymore.

Brian bit is always sad- no detox treatment centers back in the day like now...even the Mick Taylor comments 'he's his own worst enemy'

Thanks again.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 30, 2015 03:14

A bit hard on the eyes but thanks a ton for sharing!

Looks like Keith hasn't forgotten his "three guitar approach" comments that generated a lot of excitement : "I wanted to see if it could blossom into something else, like a three-guitar band. I realised it was just a hope, an idea. The Stones are a two-guitar band, and I know that, really. But Midnight Rambler over the last year or so [with Mick Taylor guesting] has been amazing (...)". Er...one year minus 3 months then !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2015 04:24

Olly
GasLightStreet

But... he didn't reveal it. Not in that article anyway. And in fact, no article.

It's astounding, really.

GasLightStreet

... They said he confirmed it yet no where in any article is there a flat out statement saying there will be a new Stones album, just that he really hopes there is.

GasLightStreet, many of your posts in this discussion are false.

As Naturalust has pointed out, the article from www.mirror.co.uk, reproduced by bye bye johnny, unequivocally states that Richards 'confirmed' there will be a new Stones album.

Questioning the authority or professionalism of the source is one thing, but you cannot deny what the article contains.

I cannot understand your desire to post false and misleading statements.

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for doing so.

You need to read what I posted. Nothing false anywhere. No where is there a 100% confirmation that the Stones will do a new record in any of what's been posted that I've seen. That's it. There's nothing more to it. It's Keith saying he thinks so or he hopes so. Somehow he's the only one saying such a thing lately.

I would love to be wrong. I'm not hoping to be right. Nor am I saying I'm right, I'm "just saying" what's been said.

If Keith unequivocally stated ie 'confirmed' there will be a new Stones album then I missed it.

Posted by: kuenzer ()
Date: July 30, 2015 09:57

Cristiano Radtke
Here's what Keith said, as published in Mojo's latest edition:

Mick is right. Repeating the warhorses over and over must be boring as heck.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 30, 2015 11:51

keefriffhards
Thought the other day Keith sounded like he was drinking again.
In a way i think Keith was happy and grounded before the Stones tour.
Its hard for a drinker to stay away from it when your waiting 3 to 4 days between concerts, just hanging around in hotels.
Hope Keith is alight, he is too old for heavy drinking, and i cant see the man doing half measures somehow.. All or nothing, its the same with me..

Keith never stopped drinking, just changed his choice of drink !

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 30, 2015 12:04

Roll73
keefriffhards
When Keith's album comes out, i think people will see the talent that has been wasted in reference to Mick dominating recordings for many years.
Keith is the musician after all. To my mind most of the Stones greatest recordings were when Mick let Keith flow with his genius, with Mick adding lyrics and melody's..
That is the Glimmers at their best. But this control thing with Mick has been the main issue. For me anyway.

Some might argue that Mick is a musician too! Even if he never sang a note and only played harp.

Don't underestimate harmonica players smiling smiley !!

Moreover, Mick is really effective in that.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 30, 2015 12:52

from Mojo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-30 13:01 by pepganzo.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 30, 2015 14:37

I'm curious to hear Keith on mandolin. I don't think he's ever used it on a record? He's correct, it is a lovely instrument (which I play often to relax).

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 31, 2015 16:05

MOJO follows up their cover story with:

Keith Richards In 25 Clips

[www.mojo4music.com]

Mojo on Keith.
Posted by: Fennikel ()
Date: July 31, 2015 23:26

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 1, 2015 01:51

Another great link posted. Just watched #23
I don't think I've ever seen 'You Got the Silver' performed live (2006 version here),
yet I've listened to the studio track of it off Let It Bleed probably 1.5 million times?
That was deep.

Can anyone share Keith Mojo interview
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: August 4, 2015 05:41

I'll love to read it but I live in the caribbeann ...

peace

Re: Can anyone share Keith Mojo interview
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 4, 2015 05:51

Someone posted it on here somewhere a few days ago .... have a search first.

Think it's in the CrossEyed Sticky thread up top

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 5, 2015 13:59

The Tao Of Keith Richards

X-Pensive Wino Waddy Wachtel on the uniquely relaxed approach of the Rolling Stones’ riff monolith.

By Pat Gilbert | August 5, 2015

Waddy Wachtel – longtime session man and guitarist in The X-Pensive Winos – is one of Keith Richards’ closest musical collaborators, having augmented the Rolling Stone on all his solo albums: Talk Is Cheap (1988), Main Offender (1992) and the forthcoming Crosseyed Heart (2015). Here he provides MOJO’s Pat Gilbert with a candid insight into the philosophy of music-making, Keith-style.

“I first met Keith in the mid-’70s in LA after a Linda Ronstadt show, then we met up again later in London. We connected right away. I went to his place and listened to every record you can think of. We ended up in the studio cutting something. I was flying home the next day on Concorde but at 6 or 7 in the morning we were still going. I just about made the flight and drank champagne and smoked cigarettes the whole way.

“Keith is exactly the guy you think he is. He plays that way. It’s sensational. To be told Keith is putting a band together and you’re the other guitar player… I could have died happy at that point. But rehearsals from the start were quite sketchy. We hardly did any. We’d get together and play some, but we never really dug in too hard on stuff. We hadn’t played anywhere till we did Saturday Night Live [in 1988]. I came to New York the night before, we rehearsed, and went into the TV studio and did our first gig, and it looked like we’d been together for ten years.

“Does he put you on the spot? You need to have your A Game ready. But he’s not difficult. He’s a very positive force. Everyone will come in sometimes a little tired, or on something, but when you get to doing the music I’ve never seen a bad day with him. One day he was standing there, playing a chord and switching the toggle switch back and forth on his guitar, and I was watching him. He did it over and over again. There are limits to how much you can invade someone’s space, but I went, What are you doing? He said, [Keith voice] ‘I was just figuring out which one’s my sound.’ And I said, Put it on that pickup there, that’s your sound, take it from me.”

“Did the booze and everything else add or take away from the creative process? That’s hard to evaluate really. When you’re in it, you’re in it. It was a shared experience – if you know what I mean. We were all coming from the same place. But there were nights when no-one could score anything. So we went the whole night without. In the end music is the winner. Getting loaded isn’t the priority. Maybe without, the music would have been faster, I dunno. I’ve known people in the most f**ked-up place and the music has sounded gorgeous. You couldn’t imagine how f**king insane people were.

“On Main Offender we had to call a halt to the madness. I said to Keith and the other guys, Do you mind if I don’t drink while we’re working? Call me crazy, but I think at least one us should have some f**king idea of what we’re doing, while we’re doing it. When we finish in the morning I’ll have a drink, of course. That worked well for a while. Then my wife came to the hotel one morning and I came crawling in and she said, ‘What’s wrong with you?’ I said, My method failed me… We stopped at 6.30 in the morning, but then we started drinking for four hours. I was just as destroyed as ever.

“The man behind the myth? He’s the guy you think he is, not just musically. He’s superhuman figure but very down to earth, instantly communicative. But if you piss him off you’ll hear about it. Straight away. Every once in a while you see a temper flare up, you wouldn’t want to be on the end of that. But I’ve never seen him hit anyone. I’ve never even seen him grab someone by the collar. He’s a real gentle cat – but don’t tell him I said so.

“When you’re Keith Richards, there’s no privacy. When we were on the road, we’d do show then go back to the hotel. Keith would go, ‘You wanna go to dinner tonight?’ And nine times out of ten, you’d get ready and he’d go, ‘I can’t f**king go out.’ He knew he couldn’t go, out. He’s Keith Richards! People would be in his face all the time. Then in Chicago, he said, ‘F**k it, let’s go out, and let’s walk there!’ So we were walking down the main street and there’s a million people there. People are dropping their briefcases and shouting, ‘Oh my God! It’s Keith Richards!’ It was like being with Elizabeth Taylor.

“Dinner was great, then we went to a blues club on the Southside of Chicago, a woman singing. We were the only white faces in there, but Keith loved it. He finally got a chance to relax.”

[www.mojo4music.com]

Date: August 5, 2015 15:20

Wow what an interview
Loved it
Keith really is a miracle.
How does that man hold it all together.
We will probably find out in ten years time that he has been hammering the booze while making this album lol.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 5, 2015 15:26

Nice - thank you Bye Bye Johnny

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 5, 2015 15:35

with sssoul
Nice - thank you Bye Bye Johnny

Absolutely. thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 5, 2015 16:25

Lovely interview - thanks for posting.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 5, 2015 16:38

This is the most insight into Keith's process I've ever read. Damn, Keith's like my Uncle Charlie, and I love(d) my Uncle Charlie…..

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 5, 2015 23:26

keefriffhards
Brown sugar is a perfect example. Great Mick SONG but without those lovely guitars it would be another girlish nursary rhyme chant like the whole of She's The Boss

Not sure if I agree with the "girlish nursery rhyme chant" idea but I love
the phrase! Your right though without the guitars driving the beat of "brown Sugar" it would have been a entirely different song. I seem to remember Mick wrote the bones of this in India - would be interesting to hear his original demo.

Date: August 5, 2015 23:50

swimtothemoon
keefriffhards
Brown sugar is a perfect example. Great Mick SONG but without those lovely guitars it would be another girlish nursary rhyme chant like the whole of She's The Boss

the phrase! Your right though without the guitars driving the beat of "brown Sugar" it would have been a entirely different song. I seem to remember Mick wrote the bones of this in India - would be interesting to hear his original demo.

I must say swimtothemoon, i was in a bad mood when i wrote that lol
Was probably the tail end of a ding dong, I tend to over emphasise when i'm wrangled.
But yeah Keith really put his stamp on BS even if it is a Jagger nursery rhyme, sorry i mean tune..

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 6, 2015 05:40

keefriffhards
swimtothemoon
keefriffhards

I must say swimtothemoon, i was in a bad mood when i wrote that lol
Was probably the tail end of a ding dong, I tend to over emphasise when i'm wrangled.
But yeah Keith really put his stamp on BS even if it is a Jagger nursery rhyme, sorry i mean tune..

The phrase was genius - made me laugh out loud. I knew what you ment.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 6, 2015 14:29

swimtothemoon
I seem to remember Mick wrote the bones of [Brown Sugar] in India - would be interesting to hear his original demo.

In Australia, if memory serves.

Date: August 6, 2015 16:39

treaclefingers
I really wish I had a LIKE button right now.

That's what the thumbs up emoticon is for, it's been there a long time, Treacles.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 6, 2015 16:44

latebloomer
treaclefingers

That's what the thumbs up emoticon is for, it's been there a long time, Treacles.

thumbs up

yeah, but two steps. TWO STEPS!!

Date: August 6, 2015 16:51

treaclefingers
latebloomer
treaclefingers

thumbs up

yeah, but two steps. TWO STEPS!!

Don't be a lazy git...grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home