Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Midnight Rambler-best live version
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: August 25, 2022 15:23

Roundhouse 1971 for sure (for me). Second place is YaYa´s, followed by Leeds 1971. 1973 (Brussels) is - way - to fast.

But honestly the last one I saw live and in person (Waldbühne a few weeks ago) was FANTASTIC!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 25, 2022 15:32

Billy10
MiamiGardens 8/30/19 - Charlie’s last live performance with the Stones - there were many things about the show I found surreal including feeling like I was hearing Midnight Rambler for the very first time - I am sure this is far far far from the best they ever played it but for me it was.

I was there too and I am SO GLAD I was.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 25, 2022 15:48

Roundhouse 1971, Marquee Club 1971 and the Ya-Yas-version smiling bouncing smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-25 16:11 by powerage78.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 25, 2022 16:27

'73 Brussels for me, followed by '69 Ya-Ya's!

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: August 25, 2022 17:03

Paris 2022

Posted by: dimtim ()
Date: August 25, 2022 18:24

Anaheim 2013 2nd show Mick Taylor was amazing best song I have ever heard live. Jagger on harp was great too.

Date: August 25, 2022 22:20

There are so many great versions. When they lock it in, there is no one on the planet who can do what they do.
This thread made me go check out many versions, and I noticed that this is a cut that really shines in the Wood era. It's two guitars , all double stops, and mid-range grunge.
In '69 Taylor was still playing mainly rhythm, and on the Altamont version e.g. one can hear that Taylor rhtyhm (much like Ya-Yas), where he does this galloping type rhythm.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 25, 2022 22:39

nankerphlege
Atlanta 2015
Raliegh 2015
Brussels 72
Hyde Park 2012??

Probaly a few typing mistakes? Brussels 72 and Hyde Park 2012. Both not played at that year. I can fill in some dates, but better do it yourself? smiling smiley

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: August 26, 2022 08:32

- Paris 2022
- Brussels 73
- Atlantic City 89

Benjamin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-26 08:33 by benstones.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 26, 2022 10:34

Pity, a lot of links I am not allowed to watch from where I live.
I am very happy with both the Get Yer Ya Ya's Out version and the Brussels '73 version.
I'd say the Brussels versions is better, because the break/interlude is fantastic, like a guitar battle between Keith and Mick T., and Mick Jagger's voice is also fantastic, very rough, unpolished, violent.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 26, 2022 11:08

muenke
Roundhouse 1971 for sure (for me). Second place is YaYa´s, followed by Leeds 1971. 1973 (Brussels) is - way - to fast.

But honestly the last one I saw live and in person (Waldbühne a few weeks ago) was FANTASTIC!

thumbs upyess!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 26, 2022 11:31

LongBeachArena72
Winning Ugly VXII
LongBeachArena72
Turner68
ya-ya's. best vocal, best tempo. really can't stand the coked-up versions.

It's possible to make a reasonable case that every song on that record is the best live version in the band's history.

I don't think so. Especially not "Midnight Rambler". Not close to what it would become in the '71 - '73 time period.

Ya-Ya's "Rambler" sounds as though they are getting warmed-up to what the song would become.

To each his own. 71-73 Ramblers were too fast for my taste. Took all the nuanced menace out of the song and replaced it with coke-addled brute force.

But getting back to GYYYO, I personally never heard better versions of JJF, Carol, SCB, MR, SFTD, LQ, HTW, or SFM. LIV was probably better in 72 and LWM prolly better in that thing that just came out, was it Leeds or The Roundhouse? Anyways, that LWM was great!

Have to agree with Long Beach and muenke here that those coked up faster versions in the early 70s lack the measured menace that the original had. For me nothing beats the chill that you hear on the original album or Ya Yas live version.

The song should start slow, just like the psychotic prowler entering the home and casing the joint, measuring every moment and slowly edging his way round the premises. The dynamic is created by the tension in the song, leading from Jagger laying out the chilling scenario to the increased tempo and finally the mania of the Charles Manson like horror of the knife attack. Those three elements that create the rising tempo gives it the heart-stopping brilliance and cinematic quality.

A few people have also mentioned the recent Paris version which was pretty amazing.

Posted by: albop ()
Date: August 26, 2022 12:17

Paris 2022 in the best live versions ? Are you really serious ?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 26, 2022 12:22

Ya Yas !!

End of discussion !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: albop ()
Date: August 26, 2022 13:50

I agree

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 26, 2022 13:58

I don't think there can be a best MR ?

This song, uniquely, has a life of its own... and frequently encourages everybody on stage to stretch and to do something just a little differently to last time.

It's probably the one warhorse that none of the detractors can ever say is boring !

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 26, 2022 15:52

Spud

It's probably the one warhorse that none of the detractors can ever say is boring !

I'd say playing it every night since... pfff... a long time has certainly "damaged" the song imo.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 26, 2022 16:07

I don't think it has .

The fact that there are so many great renditions in the "modern era" is testament to that.

No band in their 60s and 70s is going to sound like they did in their 20s and 30s...but this is a song that almost always still cuts the mustard.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: August 26, 2022 17:06

In no particular order.......my favourites are..........

Ya-Yas '69

Brussels '73

Tokyo '90

All very different versions with different tempos and attitude. Just amazing !!

Latter day versions, whilst they are still good, don't have the menace. I live for the odd lick from Keef in these versions to reassure and remind me that somewhere deep inside there is still a little bit of Keef's edge still alive n kicking !!!!

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: August 26, 2022 19:59

Please allow me to sot of end this discussion ;-)

The best version of Rambler I+ve heard is... the last one I´ve heard!

Because they are all unique, for positive or less positive reasons...

They ALL represet Stones at their finest... when things are out of the comfort zone, where things can go wrong, where things are on the line!

And okay, that being said, the ones I keep going back to are

Atlantic city 89

Brussels 73

Saitama 2006

And my all time favorite Roskilde 2014, the longest version ever and last one with Mick Taylor. Just amazing!

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: August 26, 2022 23:49

Brussels '73 is my favorite. Keith's tone is great and his playing and back n forth with Mick T is among their best.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 27, 2022 01:08

I've mentioned this before in a previous post, but just one of the reasons I would like to see all of the MSG 69 shows released especially after hearing the inferior mono soundboards from the 69RSTRAX dump in 2019, as I would love to have in my possession a great quality sounding Rambler from the 11/27th show, which after repeated listening, IMHO, beats the version they chose from the 11/28 show that ended up on Ya Yas. Just my opinion....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-27 19:43 by Sighunt.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 27, 2022 14:16

Silver Dagger
Enmore Theatre, Sydney 2003 - 1st song of the opening show down under.

Not the best by far but still a really electrifying moment in the Stones touring history. Imagine being there and expecting the opener to be something like Start Me Up.

Then suddenly Mick starts wailing on that harp, you can't believe what you're hearing or seeing.

'It can't be, can it?'

'Oh my gawd - it is.....and we're away on a hayride to hell, down the road to ecstacy and beyond.'

Yep. Sat on the edge of the stage for this show. Brother in law next to me. I pointed out Charlie’s Perspex. Song 1. Midnight Rambler. We could not believe what we were about to get. Then I also pointed out NO Jumpin’ Jack Flash was on the list. THAT I also could not fathom. But that version of Midnight Rambler was outstanding.

Rod

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 27, 2022 18:04

I have always loved Olympia 1995 (Keith licks during the break are chilling) and the HBO 2003 version, for Charlie's ferocious drumming.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 27, 2022 23:42

Mick should bring back the belt .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 27, 2022 23:46

An honourable mention:

London Stadium Friday Night Second Show.
Rambler really pulled me in that night. Hypnotic.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 28, 2022 00:20

Rockman

You don't want his pants to fall down, now do ya?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 28, 2022 00:24

Spud
I don't think there can be a best MR ?

This song, uniquely, has a life of its own... and frequently encourages everybody on stage to stretch and to do something just a little differently to last time.

I think there are at least 50 best MR's. Gotta be this.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2022 03:25

You don't want his pants to fall down, now do ya?

Hey yeah ... Thats a good come-back MKjan .... take a bow ... Take a bow-wow- wow

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: August 28, 2022 05:42

Rockman

Indeed Rockman, indeed.

Ya ya's
Brussels
Roundhouse 71
Perth 73
Philly 72
MSG 72
Hyde park 69
Brooklyn 2012
Boston 2013
Etc
Etc on and on

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-28 05:45 by Mr. Jimi.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home