Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Midnight Rambler-best live version
Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 20:27

The Philly special 1972 Rambler with that extended harp introduction makes my spine tingle and my ears extactic. Dangerous, sexy, raw and absolutely spectacularsmileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 03:09

With all the winging about the Marque Club not being a great show, the version of Midnight Rambler on it is fantastic! Mick's harp is a real treat.

I love the extended blues interlude in Welcome to New York. Spine chillingly evil blues. Amazing.

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. The real deal.

This current tour in Detroit Ronnie was possessed. He laid out a blistering lead as the song was making the climb out of the slow blues section. Incredible. I was stunned by how Ronnie just seemed to be a different guitarist.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 25, 2015 07:29

I was stunned by how Ronnie just seemed to be a different guitarist.
Tute he was fantastic during the last tour. I think this is the real Ronnie Wood

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 25, 2015 14:28

In all tours MR has always been great, so this could be the best version
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 25, 2015 23:55

whitem8

... This current tour in Detroit Ronnie was possessed. He laid out a blistering lead as the song was making the climb out of the slow blues section. Incredible. I was stunned by how Ronnie just seemed to be a different guitarist.

This is similar to my impression. I thought all the performances of the song on the Zip Code Tour were excellent, but particularly Nashville.

The Nashville performance was a phenomenon: difficult to explain or even to analyse. The song acquired a force and a coherence that I've heard on no other live version.

There are few songs played in 2015 that I would nominate as being the best live version in the band's history, but I would volunteer the following as having being performed best live in 2015:

[*] 'Midnight Rambler'
    [*] 'You Gotta Move'

There appears to be a tendency for some to automatically think of renditions from 1969 or 1973 without even considering what is, chronologically, right under their noses: The Stones are still capable of phenomenal achievements onstage.

Olly.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 29, 2015 00:29

Saitama 2006! Go back and watch the video. The whole show is killer!

Date: July 29, 2015 00:33

Midnight Rambler from Saitama 2006:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 29, 2015 01:03

JohnnyBGoode
Midnight Rambler from Saitama 2006:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Another fantastic version from recent years.

Olly.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: July 29, 2015 05:31

Roundhouse, followed very closely by Brussels. YaYa's 3rd. Roundhouse has the best versions of MR, HTW & DF.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: July 29, 2015 06:52

Yeah, 2006 Saitama is the best.

Date: July 29, 2015 07:07

Delta
Yeah, 2006 Saitama is the best.

So is It's Only Rock 'N' Roll. I wish Mick would let the intro play for a few then come in like he did on this one.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 29, 2015 12:43

Enmore Theatre, Sydney 2003 - 1st song of the opening show down under.

Not the best by far but still a really electrifying moment in the Stones touring history. Imagine being there and expecting the opener to be something like Start Me Up.

Then suddenly Mick starts wailing on that harp, you can't believe what you're hearing or seeing.

'It can't be, can it?'

'Oh my gawd - it is.....and we're away on a hayride to hell, down the road to ecstacy and beyond.'

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 29, 2015 16:33

For me Brüssel 1973 always was the outstanding Version. Now I think Roundhouse 1971 comes very close.
I think this one worked better from 69 to 75. The Version from 1989 on have not enough guitars interplay. Got better from 2012 on, especially 2015!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 29, 2015 17:45

Olly
LongBeachArena72
Olly
ShaTurd
Like LS said, there is Brussels, and then there are all the rest...

Brussels lacks the power and threat that the Nashville 2015 version has in abundance. 'Midnight Rambler' at LP Field in 2015 is one of the greatest live renditions of a song by the Stones.

I have got to seek this out. The Rolling Stones haven't been threatening since 1969; the fact that they could recapture that menace on one song at one show 46 years later sounds truly miraculous!

I can't agree with that.

I would certainly recommend listening to the Nashville 2015 rendition.

A brief aside regarding the evaluation of live performances:

Several years ago, whilst a student, I found myself in conversation with a world-renowned Professor. At one point in our discussion the Professor, an American man in his fifties, asked me, quite out of the blue, who my favourite guitarist was.

Instinctively I replied 'Probably Jimmy Page or Keith Richards.'

I noticed his top lip instantly begin to curl in derision: it was the answer he had anticipated.

Shaking his head, he replied, 'I can never understand how someone can listen to rock music that's thirty or forty years old.'

'Why?' I asked, genuinely curious as to his position.

'It just doesn't possess any relevance. It amazes me that it remains so popular.'

Our conversation ended soon after, and I never spoke to the Professor again regarding the subject.

I largely disregarded the Professor's words concerning music, concluding that he had employed a false analogy to illustrate a wider point in our discussion. However, when considering an analysis of live performance as I am here, I find his words echoing in my ears.

I can appreciate the admiration for the US shows of 1969 and the Brussels performances of 1973, but I sometimes question the relative objectivity of those responsible for that admiration.

I recommend listening to more recent live performances by the Stones. You may discover, as I did, that the band peaked as a live act decades later than many would have you believe.

Nicky Hopkins was a wizard and with his and Bobby Keys inclusion they were peaking. I am also a younger fan.

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: August 24, 2022 20:21

Paris, Hippodrome De Longchamps, July 23rd 2022.

Posted by: forest73 ()
Date: August 24, 2022 21:57

Get yer

For me the begining of my history

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 24, 2022 22:16

The one you're currently seeing live.

Date: August 25, 2022 02:35

Newark 12-15-12

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 25, 2022 03:13

Raleigh was really good but Atlanta was better. Just an incredible show from start to finish. GYYYO version was the standard for me and I always likes the MSG HBO version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-25 03:26 by jjflash73.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 25, 2022 03:55

Too many great versions to mention, but the last time I saw the Stones with Charlie was back in August, 2019 in Glendale Arizona,
and Midnight Rambler was intense. That particular version (along with the entire show) will always have a special place in my heart amongst the best live versions.
Saw the Stones a couple of times last year with Steve on drums, but Midnight Rambler was nowhere near the same. Nice, but not the same.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2022 04:53

Hairball
Too many great versions to mention, but the last time I saw the Stones with Charlie was back in August, 2019 in Glendale Arizona,
and Midnight Rambler was intense. That particular version (along with the entire show) will always have a special place in my heart amongst the best live versions.
Saw the Stones a couple of times last year with Steve on drums, but Midnight Rambler was nowhere near the same. Nice, but not the same.

Of course not. What is? Probably nothing.

But it is what it is. At this point... viva la difference! A recent live version shared here from what show I can't remember was pretty damn good so...

Viva la difference!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 25, 2022 05:12

5.31.13 Chicago Night 2

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 25, 2022 06:48

Roundhouse 71 for me.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 25, 2022 08:07

…..the show that it’s not played at……

Posted by: pichenot ()
Date: August 25, 2022 10:38

To know the best version, should be to get all soundboard recordings from 69 to 77 and after that you could choose. Bad audience recordings hide certainly some gems.

Date: August 25, 2022 11:00

bertrichards
Paris, Hippodrome De Longchamps, July 23rd 2022.

this was certainly the best one i have ever seen live.

What a performance.

Date: August 25, 2022 11:08

It's such a big number, with many parts, so it's hard to define the «perfect version». Many versions rocks hard, but are not so good in the middle section, and vice versa.

Roundhouse 1971 is excellent. So is the Ya-Yas-version, Brussels (the best middle section ever!), Atlantic City 1989 (Maybe Keith's best version?) and many others (in different ways). Roskilde 2014 was special (very long version, some magic from Taylor).

It may be one of the few songs that's always interesting in concert. Love it thumbs up

Posted by: Billy10 ()
Date: August 25, 2022 13:04

MiamiGardens 8/30/19 - Charlie’s last live performance with the Stones - there were many things about the show I found surreal including feeling like I was hearing Midnight Rambler for the very first time - I am sure this is far far far from the best they ever played it but for me it was.

Date: August 25, 2022 14:52

I'd say all of the versions I saw live over the last 40+ years were the best to me.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 25, 2022 15:00

Always loved the 1972/73 versions best because they are bursting with musical and sexual energy.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home