Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Midnight Rambler-best live version
Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:28

Obviously MSG 69 (Ya Ya's) and Brussels 73, and CERTAINLY NOT Nashville 2015 (I was at that concert). Ron Wood IS NOT Mick Taylor!!! if you understand that, you have the key of the Rolling Stones music...

It is a shame that the MR version of the Brussels evening show has not been released. Does somebody know the reason why?

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:29

Brussels 1973. The guitar interplay leading into the '2nd act' is incredible. Mick T and Keith were on it that night!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:43

1969Fan
Brussels 1973. The guitar interplay leading into the '2nd act' is incredible. Mick T and Keith were on it that night!

I always wondered why they didn't play that great blues slide intermezzo with Taylor during their last tour with him. Enough opportunities.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:10

1969Fan

Brussels 1973 is the best known MR from the 1973 tours. But who knows about all the others, the last one from Berlin, two days after Brussels, for example, or some of the British ones.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:23

I can't decide between Brussels 73 and LA 7/13/75. Brussels is probably the most perfect version ever, but I also love the sleeze of '75. Roundhouse 71 is fantastic too, better than Ya-Ya's.

Mathijs

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:24

Olly
I recommend listening to more recent live performances by the Stones. You may discover, as I did, that the band peaked as a live act decades later than many would have you believe.

Like others, I have, and found them wanting. Not necessarily bad, just nowhere near as good as the classic performances of the early 70s.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:31

1973 any show 1972 any show. Best one? The one in the c---s-----blues film.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:38

Stoneburst
Olly
I recommend listening to more recent live performances by the Stones. You may discover, as I did, that the band peaked as a live act decades later than many would have you believe.

Like others, I have, and found them wanting. Not necessarily bad, just nowhere near as good as the classic performances of the early 70s.

Same here... for the 2012-15 shows we can either say "not very good" when they sucked or "surpisingly decent" when they shone.

Applying the "best ever" tag to any 2012-15 perfs is imo ridiculous. They still have some sparks but naturally they don't have the fire they had in the 70's.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:49

Olly
LongBeachArena72
Olly
ShaTurd
Like LS said, there is Brussels, and then there are all the rest...

Brussels lacks the power and threat that the Nashville 2015 version has in abundance. 'Midnight Rambler' at LP Field in 2015 is one of the greatest live renditions of a song by the Stones.

I have got to seek this out. The Rolling Stones haven't been threatening since 1969; the fact that they could recapture that menace on one song at one show 46 years later sounds truly miraculous!

I can't agree with that.

I would certainly recommend listening to the Nashville 2015 rendition.

A brief aside regarding the evaluation of live performances:

Several years ago, whilst a student, I found myself in conversation with a world-renowned Professor. At one point in our discussion the Professor, an American man in his fifties, asked me, quite out of the blue, who my favourite guitarist was.

Instinctively I replied 'Probably Jimmy Page or Keith Richards.'

I noticed his top lip instantly begin to curl in derision: it was the answer he had anticipated.

Shaking his head, he replied, 'I can never understand how someone can listen to rock music that's thirty or forty years old.'

'Why?' I asked, genuinely curious as to his position.

'It just doesn't possess any relevance. It amazes me that it remains so popular.'

Our conversation ended soon after, and I never spoke to the Professor again regarding the subject.

I largely disregarded the Professor's words concerning music, concluding that he had employed a false analogy to illustrate a wider point in our discussion. However, when considering an analysis of live performance as I am here, I find his words echoing in my ears.

I can appreciate the admiration for the US shows of 1969 and the Brussels performances of 1973, but I sometimes question the relative objectivity of those responsible for that admiration.

Just listened to 2 diff versions of the Nashville '15 MR; sounds like most modern-day Ramblers to my ears:

--Competent guitars (tough to mess up a 12-bar blues)
--Good to excellent harp playing by Mick
--Awful, pinched, nasal vocals by Mick
--There is NOTHING that can redeem "(name of city), if you know how to party, say OH YEAH!" These are cheerleading, least common denominator Ramblers, in my opinion, and the performance has completely lost sight of what the song is ABOUT.

One last thing: I do not profess to even "relative objectivity." I have my opinions about the band, and I argue/offer those opinions based on my years of listening to all kinds of music and my interest in both 'pop' and 'high' culture.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think there's anything wrong with naming Jimmy Page or Keith Richards as your favorite guitarist. I frequently name Bach as my favorite "songwriter" and he's a bit older than either of them. But I think it's at least sorta objective to say that the music that makes MOST people name one or the other of those two gentlemen as their favorite musician was recorded 40-50 years ago now.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 01:20

dcba
Stoneburst
Olly

Same here... for the 2012-15 shows we can either say "not very good" when they sucked or "surpisingly decent" when they shone.

Applying the "best ever" tag to any 2012-15 perfs is imo ridiculous. They still have some sparks but naturally they don't have the fire they had in the 70's.

Gotta disagree, and I have been so brutal about post 95' Stones I'm surprised I'm still here!

Let's break it down- since 89', Rambler has been way too Vegas. I had very high hopes for the reunited MT versions, and was left feeling cheated. To MT's defense, it's tough to sit in the wings, then solo on demand. We didn't get it at all in 78'& 81'. 75'-76' had moments, but was a little loose......but still strong. This leaves us with 69'-71', and 72'-73'. Most of us have either Ya-Yas or another 69' in our top 3. Brussels is likely the 2nd most mentioned. It is great, but I am in the camp that believes MT could have done well by playing less. On KC 2015, they were pretty tight, and even left the reservation for a bit.....how daring!

I think it's fair to pick one per tour- If you don't like the way a track is being performed on any given tour, it won't change much. Taking all this into account, I have no problem ranking it as Ya-Yas, KC 15', and Brussels..... If anyone wants to switch KC and Brussels, I won't argue, but give credit where it's due, Ronnie was a lot of fun in 2015,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 01:22 by Thrylan.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 22, 2015 03:25

Rollin' Stoner
Olly
LongBeachArena72
Olly
ShaTurd

Brussels lacks the power and threat that the Nashville 2015 version has in abundance. 'Midnight Rambler' at LP Field in 2015 is one of the greatest live renditions of a song by the Stones.

I have got to seek this out. The Rolling Stones haven't been threatening since 1969; the fact that they could recapture that menace on one song at one show 46 years later sounds truly miraculous!

I can't agree with that.

Several years ago, whilst a student, I found myself in conversation with a world-renowned Professor. At one point in our discussion the Professor, an American man in his fifties, asked me, quite out of the blue, who my favourite guitarist was.

I noticed his top lip instantly begin to curl in derision: it was the answer he had anticipated.

Shaking his head, he replied, 'I can never understand how someone can listen to rock music that's thirty or forty years old.'

'It just doesn't possess any relevance. It amazes me that it remains so popular.'

Our conversation ended soon after, and I never spoke to the Professor again regarding the subject.

I largely disregarded the Professor's words concerning music, concluding that he had employed a false analogy to illustrate a wider point in our discussion. However, when considering an analysis of live performance as I am here, I find his words echoing in my ears.

I can appreciate the admiration for the US shows of 1969 and the Brussels performances of 1973, but I sometimes question the relative objectivity of those responsible for that admiration.

I question your objectivity

With regards to what?

Olly.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 22, 2015 03:53

Olly
Rollin' Stoner
Olly
LongBeachArena72
Olly
ShaTurd

I can't agree with that.

I question your objectivity

With regards to what?
to the quantum theory

Date: July 22, 2015 04:46

The b-stage versions on the 'No Security Tour' were pretty good.

Especially the ones from the Hartford and Boston shows.

Not on a '71 - '73 level but,still pretty good.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 05:41

I love the Brussels & Ya Yas versions the best. The more recent live versions I like are MSG 2003 & Hyde Park.

Olly

Olly, with respect..... What are you talking about? Objectivity? This is how it works for me. I listen to the Brussels version and I love it. I just listened to the Nashville 2015 version that you like, and while it's o.k, it's no more than that. It does not even come close to other recent live versions I've heard. You disagree, which is fine, but objectivity does not come into it.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 22, 2015 05:59

Midnight Rambler certainly is the showpiece of many, many Stones shows, but for my tastes, the 69-71 versions were the best as those early versions displayed that aura of menace that has been lacking for many, many years.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: July 22, 2015 06:35

Thrylan
To MT's defense, it's tough to sit in the wings, then solo on demand.

Ain't that the truth. I could never manage it and I'm an excellent, accomplished player.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 22, 2015 07:01

TonyMo
Thrylan
To MT's defense, it's tough to sit in the wings, then solo on demand.

Ain't that the truth. I could never manage it and I'm an excellent, accomplished player.

Couldn't imagine.......I'm average, but when I play with others, there's usually 15-30 minutes of loose jamming, then gradually building to wherever you go. Wrap your head around walking out cold in front of 40-70k people and all eyes are on you to smoke! No thanks.

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 07:05

I'm not sure of the exact bootleg I have -- St Louis or Pittsburg 1995? -- but Mick is on the harp again very late in the song, before the last sung verse. In my opinion you can hear and feel dynamite from the stage in that performance.

So many other great ones -- I was at LA Friday for example -- but that one stands out.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: July 22, 2015 07:46

Tampa, Florida 3/3/99 on the No Security tour.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:45

Marquee Club Live 1971
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 22, 2015 19:10

little queenie
Marquee Club Live 1971
[www.youtube.com]

Good choice queenie. It is currently my favourite one too.

Date: July 23, 2015 00:22

strat72
I love the Brussels & Ya Yas versions the best. The more recent live versions I like are MSG 2003 & Hyde Park.

Olly

Olly, with respect..... What are you talking about? Objectivity? This is how it works for me. I listen to the Brussels version and I love it. I just listened to the Nashville 2015 version that you like, and while it's o.k, it's no more than that. It does not even come close to other recent live versions I've heard. You disagree, which is fine, but objectivity does not come into it.

Yes, no problem strat72, objectivity was the wrong word to use.

Of course, if someone prefers one live version to another, that's that.

I was just musing that some songs seem to have worked extremely well live from 1989 onwards. I thought 'Midnight Rambler' worked very well live in 2015 and the Nashville version, which I heard via Drake's recording, was fantastic, and I genuinely believe that it was a stand-out rendition.

There was a quote which I can't now find that got me thinking. Something about documentary being linked to immediacy, to relevancy in some way. Of course, we can enjoy a live recording no matter how old it is, but I feel somehow more connected to a fantastic rendition of 'Midnight Rambler' from 2015 than I do a fantastic rendition from 1973, partly because the former is a representation of the band as it currently exists.

Another issue of course is the differing ways in which the performances have been recorded and preserved, and of course how the band's playing style has evolved or devolved (depending on your opinion) or simply changed over time.

Olly.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 03:10

Aside from the Yas Yas version, I like the one where Mick sings,
'Go down on my babay..'
From the Farewell Great Britain tour, 71.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 23, 2015 03:26

little queenie
Marquee Club Live 1971
[www.youtube.com]

Omg omg omg...I never heard/saw that version before. Just amazing! Lurved it.

Posted by: sway76 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 05:32

1973-king biscuit flower hour

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 05:39

MidnightGambler
Obviously MSG 69 (Ya Ya's) and Brussels 73, and CERTAINLY NOT Nashville 2015 (I was at that concert). Ron Wood IS NOT Mick Taylor!!! if you understand that, you have the key of the Rolling Stones music...

It is a shame that the MR version of the Brussels evening show has not been released. Does somebody know the reason why?

I was at the Nashville show this year and while the show was great, I gave a mini review and stated simply that Ronnie just doesn't have Taylor's chops and feel on this song. So, I'm not sure what Olly was hearing from Ronnie that would compare at all to any version 69-73. I'll go with Brussels 73. ya-ya's is my favorite though. I'm liking Leeds 71 and Roundhouse even more.

I'll have to listen to the recording and try to be objective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 05:42 by bigmac7895.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:19

From the 2015 tour, my vote from six shows I saw, is Kansas City ... But maybe it's just because I was having such a good goddamn time

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 07:37 by Snoopy.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:28

anyone think the studio version is the best version? not me.

Date: July 24, 2015 19:58

MidnightGambler

I don't think anyone of sound mind would say they were.

You are right in that the two seperate eras featuring Taylor and Wood are different; not just in sound but in image, band politics and other aspects.

LongBeachArena72
...tough to mess up a 12-bar blues...

It could be suggested that this form better suits Wood than it does Taylor.

Olly.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 20:00

Fantastic...

kleermaker
little queenie
Marquee Club Live 1971
[www.youtube.com]

Good choice queenie. It is currently my favourite one too.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home