Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Midnight Rambler-best live version
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:24

Tough one...

69 or 73.

Probobly 69 . Jagger at his best.

Liked the song with the three guitars and both Ron and Mick T (2012-2014)

Re: Midnight Rambler-best live version
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:35

Nashville 2015.

Olly.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:37

Anaheim may 15th 2013! drinking smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:45

No contest, imo

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:02

Like LS said, there is Brussels, and then there are all the rest...

Date: July 21, 2015 01:07

ShaTurd

Brussels lacks the power and threat that the Nashville 2015 version has in abundance. 'Midnight Rambler' at LP Field in 2015 is one of the greatest live renditions of a song by the Stones.

Olly.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:22

Every version I´m listening to IS THE BEST.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:39

Brussels 73. Greatest version of any song by the Stones

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:51

ya-yas....best groove...best Jagger vocal

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 01:59

ya-ya's. best vocal, best tempo. really can't stand the coked-up versions.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:19

Roundhouse 71

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:36

69'.......maybe some 70'-71', and forgive me, but maybe.......maybe.....KC 2015. I'll have let that one stew.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 05:10

Olly
ShaTurd

Brussels lacks the power and threat that the Nashville 2015 version has in abundance. 'Midnight Rambler' at LP Field in 2015 is one of the greatest live renditions of a song by the Stones.

I have got to seek this out. The Rolling Stones haven't been threatening since 1969; the fact that they could recapture that menace on one song at one show 46 years later sounds truly miraculous!

Date: July 21, 2015 05:11

Turner68

It's possible to make a reasonable case that every song on that record is the best live version in the band's history.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 21, 2015 05:13

2000man
Roundhouse 71

thumbs up

Followed closely by Perth 1973.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 21, 2015 05:46

Yaya's
Brussells
MSG-2003

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: July 21, 2015 05:47

72- Ft.Worth (2nd show as heard on CS Blues) and 73- Brussels for the Taylor era. As for Woody's versions I like the one I first witnessed live Dallas 75 and MSG in 03. And to think neither one played on the studio version yet we hear Brian playing cymbals on his last appearance on a Stones record now how's the irony of that.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 06:01

I know this will be outlandish to some, as it would have been to me a few weeks ago, but I've been really listening to Tokyo 90 a lot lately. Some of it is dreck, Gimme Shelter in particular as well as JJFlash, but Midnight Rambler is AMAZING.

Very tight, dramatic and well paced. Especially good are the transitions in and out of the slow, middle jam. Big surprise for me that I liked this so much, as I generally just dismiss the entire 89-90 cycle.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: July 21, 2015 06:14

Brussels obv
Ya Ya's
LA 1975 (July 13th)
Tokyo 1990
MSG 2003
Saitama 2006
Anaheim 2013
Rosklide 2014
Auckland 2014 (special for me because I was in attendance)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 06:14 by erad.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 21, 2015 06:17

Last one that I've seen which would be Quebec.

Date: July 21, 2015 06:26

LongBeachArena72
Turner68

It's possible to make a reasonable case that every song on that record is the best live version in the band's history.

I don't think so. Especially not "Midnight Rambler". Not close to what it would become in the '71 - '73 time period.

Ya-Ya's "Rambler" sounds as though they are getting warmed-up to what the song would become.

Date: July 21, 2015 08:34

Winning Ugly VXII
LongBeachArena72
Turner68

I don't think so. Especially not "Midnight Rambler". Not close to what it would become in the '71 - '73 time period.

Ya-Ya's "Rambler" sounds as though they are getting warmed-up to what the song would become.

To each his own. 71-73 Ramblers were too fast for my taste. Took all the nuanced menace out of the song and replaced it with coke-addled brute force.

But getting back to GYYYO, I personally never heard better versions of JJF, Carol, SCB, MR, SFTD, LQ, HTW, or SFM. LIV was probably better in 72 and LWM prolly better in that thing that just came out, was it Leeds or The Roundhouse? Anyways, that LWM was great!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 21, 2015 11:29

Hard to decide. For me any version without Taylor would do. I Like Ronnie´s approach better. L.A. 75 is extremly enjoyable. Don´t like the Steel-Wheels-Tour-versions.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 21, 2015 11:54

Baton Rouge'75 early show. I like the coda Keef added to the very end of the song as if he was telling everyone "it's not over till I say it's over!!!"

Nashville 2015? It starts okay then it loses steam after 5 minutes and the slow part of the song is a disaster (imo).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 12:37 by dcba.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 21, 2015 12:41

Ya Ya's - correct speed
Brussels - great MT here.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: July 21, 2015 16:41

Atlanta 2015
Raliegh 2015
Brussels 72
Hyde Park 2012??

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 21, 2015 17:55

It's live debut in HP is the one I like best

C

Date: July 21, 2015 21:41

LongBeachArena72
Olly
ShaTurd

I have got to seek this out. The Rolling Stones haven't been threatening since 1969; the fact that they could recapture that menace on one song at one show 46 years later sounds truly miraculous!

I can't agree with that.

I would certainly recommend listening to the Nashville 2015 rendition.

A brief aside regarding the evaluation of live performances:

Several years ago, whilst a student, I found myself in conversation with a world-renowned Professor. At one point in our discussion the Professor, an American man in his fifties, asked me, quite out of the blue, who my favourite guitarist was.

Instinctively I replied 'Probably Jimmy Page or Keith Richards.'

I noticed his top lip instantly begin to curl in derision: it was the answer he had anticipated.

Shaking his head, he replied, 'I can never understand how someone can listen to rock music that's thirty or forty years old.'

'Why?' I asked, genuinely curious as to his position.

'It just doesn't possess any relevance. It amazes me that it remains so popular.'

Our conversation ended soon after, and I never spoke to the Professor again regarding the subject.

I largely disregarded the Professor's words concerning music, concluding that he had employed a false analogy to illustrate a wider point in our discussion. However, when considering an analysis of live performance as I am here, I find his words echoing in my ears.

I can appreciate the admiration for the US shows of 1969 and the Brussels performances of 1973, but I sometimes question the relative objectivity of those responsible for that admiration.

I recommend listening to more recent live performances by the Stones. You may discover, as I did, that the band peaked as a live act decades later than many would have you believe.

Olly.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:53

Olly
LongBeachArena72
Olly
ShaTurd

I can't agree with that.

I would certainly recommend listening to the Nashville 2015 rendition.

A brief aside regarding the evaluation of live performances:

Several years ago, whilst a student, I found myself in conversation with a world-renowned Professor. At one point in our discussion the Professor, an American man in his fifties, asked me, quite out of the blue, who my favourite guitarist was.

Instinctively I replied 'Probably Jimmy Page or Keith Richards.'

I noticed his top lip instantly begin to curl in derision: it was the answer he had anticipated.

Shaking his head, he replied, 'I can never understand how someone can listen to rock music that's thirty or forty years old.'

'Why?' I asked, genuinely curious as to his position.

'It just doesn't possess any relevance. It amazes me that it remains so popular.'

Our conversation ended soon after, and I never spoke to the Professor again regarding the subject.

I largely disregarded the Professor's words concerning music, concluding that he had employed a false analogy to illustrate a wider point in our discussion. However, when considering an analysis of live performance as I am here, I find his words echoing in my ears.

I can appreciate the admiration for the US shows of 1969 and the Brussels performances of 1973, but I sometimes question the relative objectivity of those responsible for that admiration.

I recommend listening to more recent live performances by the Stones. You may discover, as I did, that the band peaked as a live act decades later than many would have you believe.
I question your objectivity

Posted by: catchinem ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:05

I saw the Newark Dec 13 show. Schillid posted a youtube of MR and it is so good. MT was great. Even Mick said so as MT was exiting the stage. The bass by Darryl is also great. This version has to be in the all time top 3 at least.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home