Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: Track Talk: Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 11, 2018 21:14

I love this song and don’t consider it filler at all. The same can’t be said for other stuff on the album like Short and Curlies and Dance Little Sister. Don’t get me wrong I like them, but those songs literally say nothing (the definition of filler). Also, they could have left off the cover tune and made it a B-Side, it contradicts the first song and that has always bothered me from a cohesiveness standpoint.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 11, 2018 22:23

TravelinMan
I love this song and don’t consider it filler at all. The same can’t be said for other stuff on the album like Short and Curlies and Dance Little Sister. Don’t get me wrong I like them, but those songs literally say nothing (the definition of filler). Also, they could have left off the cover tune and made it a B-Side, it contradicts the first song and that has always bothered me from a cohesiveness standpoint.

Well stated, couldn’t agree more

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 12, 2018 21:49

TravelinMan
Also, they could have left off the cover tune and made it a B-Side, it contradicts the first song and that has always bothered me from a cohesiveness standpoint.

That is an excellent point.

Obvious now that you mention it, but it never dawned on me before.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2018 11:25

Love it.

Date: August 13, 2018 11:30

TravelinMan

Musically, or title-wise?

I've always loved both of those songs, btw.

Date: August 13, 2018 13:17

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

Me too. Two of my favourites and that goes for the album as well.

Date: August 13, 2018 15:21

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan

Lyrically I don’t think Short and Curlies or Dance Little Sister add much to the album. On the other hand, Til the Next Goodbye has great lyrics and tells a story. My response it to those that were calling Next Goodbye filler.

Little Sister is Rock and Roll, so it gets a pass. Short and Curlies is like a lesser version of Hide Your Love. This album really misses the talents of Jimmy Miller, sonically and conceptually.

Date: August 13, 2018 15:24

Oh, I am just seeing the bolded part. The first two songs are lyrically polar opposites and it creates a weird juxtaposition.

Date: August 13, 2018 15:38

TravelinMan
Oh, I am just seeing the bolded part. The first two songs are lyrically polar opposites and it creates a weird juxtaposition.

Thanks, I thought so, yes. I can relate to that.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 13, 2018 16:46

TravelinMan

'Dance Little Sister' might not say much lyrically but it's in the tradition of songs about dancing..

plus it's use of slang from another language is interesting and kind of educational. cool smiley

plus, it is a fun groove.

Date: August 13, 2018 18:16

The riff is one of the best in the history of music. The Mocambo version is a master class in loose live guitar. How to be in vharge of your gear and make it sound as if falling apart.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 13, 2018 18:59

duke richardson
TravelinMan

'Dance Little Sister' might not say much lyrically but it's in the tradition of songs about dancing..

plus it's use of slang from another language is interesting and kind of educational. cool smiley

plus, it is a fun groove.

Never considered it filler by any stretch - in fact I think it's among the highlights of the album.

Pure and simple kickin' rock and roll Stones style - like an engine thumping at full speed, Jagger's vocals are supreme, and the lead guitar is to die for.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 14, 2018 16:36

I actually wonder if Taylor plays on this one.

Mathijs

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 14, 2018 17:58

I thought Mick Taylor always said he should of got some song credit for TTNG remember reading something about Andy Johns said in an interview about MT's exit from stones.

The guitar fills after the first chorus on the E and B strings at 10th and 9th frets, to 8 and 7 and 5 to 7 and end on 3rd fret - I thought that was always Taylor.

Date: August 14, 2018 20:13

Mathijs

Mathijs

He definitely plays acoustic. Probably not the slide.

Date: November 20, 2018 19:35

Keith plays the slide - sounds like Keith sliding to the notes. I often wondered if Keith wrote the intro acoustic chord changes. Starting on the D chord and hammering down on the chord and to G and the quick change to A and C back to D.

Its like the quick chord changes on Waiting on A Friend we have discussed in past who came up with that intro.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 20, 2018 20:11

OpenG
Keith plays the slide - sounds like Keith sliding to the notes. I often wondered if Keith wrote the intro acoustic chord changes. Starting on the D chord and hammering down on the chord and to G and the quick change to A and C back to D.

Its like the quick chord changes on Waiting on A Friend we have discussed in past who came up with that intro.

Great Post. Question to someone who knows more about the frame work of music- Is this song similar in structure to "Coming Down Again?"

Date: November 20, 2018 20:17

OpenG

It's a pretty standard intro, though. Could have been Jagger for what we know..

Date: November 20, 2018 20:42

DandelionPowderman ()

OpenG

Yes who knows but MT seems more involved with this song and maybe he came up with the intro if it indeed was a taylor/jagger collaboration and MT having more input then Keith. MT plays the fills on the e and b strings after the chorus ? I would guess

Date: November 20, 2018 20:43

Mathijs

Mathijs

+1

I'm quite convinced that they wiped Taylor's track.

Date: November 20, 2018 20:50

Mathijs

Mathijs

+1

Really I am sure you have your thoughts all these speculations are subjective but I want to believe at least taylor has be playing the guitar fills .

Date: November 20, 2018 20:54

OpenG
Mathijs

Mathijs

TtheflyingDutchman
+1

Really I am sure you have your thoughts all these speculations are subjective but I want to believe at least taylor has be playing the guitar fills .

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-20 20:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: November 20, 2018 21:34

OpenG
DandelionPowderman ()

OpenG

Yes who knows but MT seems more involved with this song and maybe he came up with the intro if it indeed was a taylor/jagger collaboration and MT having more input then Keith. MT plays the fills on the e and b strings after the chorus ? I would guess

Mick plays an acoustic in the video and starts the tune, for what it's worth..

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 21, 2018 00:40

Apologies if this is referenced earlier in the thread, but Carly Simon is the likely co-writer:

[iorr.org]

Date: November 21, 2018 00:55

MelBelli
Apologies if this is referenced earlier in the thread, but Carly Simon is the likely co-writer:

[iorr.org]

Both Simon and Taylor claim they were.

Date: November 21, 2018 14:41

Eventually members of IORR will claim Taylor never played with the Stones at all.

Date: November 21, 2018 15:35

I always thought it was Taylor on the harmony acoustic in the chorus; the one that sounds like a Mandolin.
The slide must be Keith.

Date: November 21, 2018 15:38

Palace Revolution 2000
I always thought it was Taylor on the harmony acoustic in the chorus; the one that sounds like a Mandolin.
The slide must be Keith.

I'm pretty sure that's correct. No doubt about Keith on the slide. Most likely Taylor on those «tex mex-licks».

There might be possible that Keith doesn't play acoustic at all on the track, though. If so, my guess is Jagger on the second acoustic.

Date: November 21, 2018 15:43

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
The slide must be Keith.

I'm pretty sure that's correct. No doubt about Keith on the slide. Most likely Taylor on those «tex mex-licks».

There might be possible that Keith doesn't play acoustic at all on the track, though. If so, my guess is Jagger on the second acoustic.

yes, that is thew way I hear it too. Jagger on the straight acoustic. They really didn't need much of anyone else back in those days. Nicky on piano was huge. And Keys of course. But the only real player MIA on IORR and GHS is Jimmy Miller.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:10

Palace Revolution 2000
The slide must be Keith.

That’s clearly Taylor. Where are we getting this notion that he’s not on the track?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home