Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
Track Talk: Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: René ()
Date: July 20, 2015 09:58

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Till The Next Goodbye
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Musicland Studios, Munich, West-Germany, January 14 - 28, 1974,
Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Unit, Stargroves, Newbury, Berkshire, UK,
April 10 - 15, 1974 and Island Recording Studios, London, UK, May 20 - 25, 1974.

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, backing vocals, acoustic guitar
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric guitar,
electric slide guitar, backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Mick Taylor - acoustic guitar, electric guitar
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Ray Cooper - percussion

Honey, is there any place that you would like to eat?
I know a coffee shop down on Fifty Second Street
And I don't need no fancy food and I don't need no fancy wine
And I sure don't need the tears you cry
Till the next time we say goodbye, till the next time we say goodbye
Till the next time we say goodbye
I'll be thinking of you, I'll be thinking of you

Yeah, a movie house on Forty Second Street
Ain't a very likely place for you and I to meet
Watching the snow swirl around your hair and around your feet
And I'm thinking to myself, she surely looks a treat
Till the next time that we say goodbye, till the next time that we say goodbye
Till the next time that we kiss goodnight
I'll be thinking of you, I'll be thinking of you

I can't go on like this, can ya, can ya? I can't go on like this, can ya?

You give me a cure all from New Orleans
Now, that's a recipe I sure do need
Some cider vinegar and some elderberry wine
May cure all your ills, but it can't cure mine
Your Louisiana recipes have let me down
Your Louisiana recipes have surely let me down
Till the next time we say goodbye, drink to it, till the next time we say goodbye
Till the next time that we kiss goodnight, till the next time that we say goodbye
Till the next time we say goodbye, till the next time that we say goodbye
Till the next time that we kiss goodnight, I'll be thinking of you, I'll be thinking of you

Produced by The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “It’s Only Rock ‘n Roll” LP
(Rolling Stones Records COC 79101) US, October 15, 1974

Re: Track Talk: Till The Next Goodbye
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 20, 2015 10:01

Such a beautiful track. So sweet, so sad, and so moving … a classic ballad from the days when the Glimmer Twins could effortlessly write something of this quality. The guitars are lovely, the vocals and harmonies are captivating, and the melody and lyrics leave me floating long after that last, sparkling note from Nicky’s piano.

Drew

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2015 10:55

A really nice song that I have Always liked...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 11:12

When they started dishing out this dreck, it was pretty clear that it was the beginning of the end for the band.

The lyrics are the stuff of adolescent poetry and the arrangement is plodding.

worse than angie or memory motel (the ballads on IORR's sister albums)

i would pay money to never have to listen to it again.

thumbs down

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 11:35

Great, beautiful, funny. One of my hidden favourite. I'd love to hear it live.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 20, 2015 11:38

My absolutely Stones ballad favourite of all time!!!!!!
Always on my side through my 20ies and 30ies.
And still.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 20, 2015 11:46

It´s a filler on an album consisting mostly of fillers. Too schmaltzy and oh so boring.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 20, 2015 11:58

Lovely song revealing the mellow side of the Stones that was beginning to come out more and more during the 70s with songs like Sweet Black Angel, Angie, Winter, Can You Hear The Music.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 12:03

Love it, always have!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 20, 2015 12:20

In my estimation, "Till the Next Goodbye" is a somewhat uninspired song. By that, I don't think it is bad, but not more than almost OK. On the other hand, it is no intended filler (hardly, there being one in their career) and neither a socalled "Stones by numbers" song, only not so inspired. With quite nice feel, but not so much else going for it.

Belonging to an album that, with its successor, to me marks a comparative slump in the band's career. Without meaning that both those albums are without one or a couple of gems. However, I have to say this song is far from one of those.

Date: July 20, 2015 12:24

Witness
In my estimation, "Till the Next Goodbye" is a somewhat uninspired song. By that, I don't think it is bad, but not more than almost OK. On the other hand, it is no intended filler (hardly, there being one in their career) and neither a socalled "Stones by numbers" song, only not so inspired. With quite nice feel, but not so much else going for it.

Belonging to an album that, with its successor, to me marks a comparative slump in the band's career. Without meaning that both those albums are without one or a couple of gems. However, I have to say this song is far from one of those.

No filler in their career? Pass me your rose tinted spectacles please.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 20, 2015 12:34

It's not a gem but it is good in the it's only rock n'roll contest.
Very nice vocals here.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 20, 2015 12:44

Too late now, Silver Dagger, afterwards to quote your post on a smartphone:

Consult the thread, where the opening post tried to introduce a discussion of the 'filler' concept. In a post in that thread, stonehearted indicated most adequately that the first album would have one intended filler. By motive, I then agreed that "Now I've Got a Witness" so far, formally, may be seen as a filler. However, with a view to its good effect, I disagreed on the whole.

Date: July 20, 2015 13:30

Witness
Too late now, Silver Dagger, afterwards to quote your post on a smartphone:

Consult the thread, where the opening post tried to introduce a discussion of the 'filler' concept. In a post in that thread, stonehearted indicated most adequately that the first album would have one intended filler. By motive, I then agreed that "Now I've Got a Witness" so far, formally, may be seen as a filler. However, with a view to its good effect, I disagreed on the whole.

Even with the greatest artists there is filler as well as killer. And of course let's not forget the killer diller. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 20, 2015 14:31

It's charming initially, for first verse, bridge and chorus (when Keith's vocals appear). The acoustic guitar chords/rhythm while repetitive are interesting enough. I don't have a problem with the lyrics, that's the charm of the song actually (a typical ballad).

The problem is it's repetitive and too long and thus gets annoying as it proceeds. It's difficult for me personally to listen to all the way through.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-20 14:33 by nightskyman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2015 16:48

lovely tune on the great IORR.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:10

Love it, and always think of it now when I am walking the streets of NYC. It's not a stand-out Stones ballad, but says something about where they were at that time, Mick especially. Lyrically, I think it's just Mick in one of his wistful moods. A bit like Moonlight Mile in that regard, but less powerful. Still, this line kills me...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:13

Great tune always loved it.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:24

Excellent song! "your Louisiana recipes have surely let me down"

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:30

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:36

Not a huge, huge fan but after seeing it (IIRC) in the Sweet Summer Sun close, I appreciated it more. Got a glimmer at the rehearsals last year, would have been interesting.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:47

Sadly, the last tune Taylor recorded with the band. Perhaps this is what scared him off. eye popping smiley

As much as I love the Stones with some acoustic treatment, this tune never did much for me. Compared with the same two chord arrangement of songs like YCAGWYW it hardly holds up in terms of artistic excellence. This is when we first start to see signs of Mick affected vocals and although the harmonies are OK the general melody seems a bit lazy and uninspired.

My guess is that Mick brought this tune to the band in complete form and that they took very little time to get it recorded.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:52

Naturalust
This is when we first start to see signs of Mick affected vocals and although the harmonies are OK the general melody seems a bit lazy and uninspired.

My guess is that Mick brought this tune to the band in complete form and that they took very little time to get it recorded.

A throwaway presented by Mick to provide last minute filler for IORR album...thus quickly recorded without too much thought.

Just thinking now, it's a nice transition though between title track and 'Time Waits For No One' ('IORR' is up tempo, while 'TWFNO' is not quite as fast or moderate tempo).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-20 17:55 by nightskyman.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 18:07

Nice enough track I guess. But like the rest of the album, has all awful dull sound to it. There is just no snap to the record, production wise, just too sterile and muted.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 18:47

Jagger's lyrics, with a few exceptions, have been the anti-Shakespeare since 1973. Uninspired drivel for the most part. You can blame the Stones' demise post Exile on internal rifts, jet-setting, coke, constipation etc. but while they all factor to some extent it's Jagger's inability to pen cool lyrics (the best we can hope for is 'clever' these days) the way he used to that ruined all the albums. 'You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty giiirrl..' Wtf? BOB is still a good song but it doesn't live up to the promise of that sublime riff and opening line. But I digress. My point is that ballads like this one tend to fare better because the lyrics aren't all that important. Like with 'Winter', I could listen to Jagger sing 'well well Well well well well well' all night and me and my baby duck have on occasion (although actually the lyrics are better than they have to be on that tune).

Till the next goodbye is pretty uninspired but it works - not because of the lyrics but because of the vocal performance (affected though it is you can't listen to Jagger sing 'watchin' the snow swirl around your hair and around your feet' without developing a foot fetish). ANd the harmonizing on the chorus has that 'Sway' feel to it which can only be good. Plus this song is obscure and simple enough that you can pass it off as your own when you're trying to impress some girl. Not that I've ever done that...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 18:57

its a good song on a good album, but it goes a bit flat at times, and obviously if you compare it to the classic ballads, like lady jane, no expectations or wild horses etc its going to come out inferior.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 20, 2015 18:59

latebloomer
Love it, and always think of it now when I am walking the streets of NYC. It's not a stand-out Stones ballad, but says something about where they were at that time, Mick especially. Lyrically, I think it's just Mick in one of his wistful moods. A bit like Moonlight Mile in that regard, but less powerful. Still, this line kills me...

Bloomer, sorry for my reply, but you made me laugh again! Well, I know, I can't go on like this. cool smiley

To my taste this kind of ballad is really corny, just like Memory Motel ("She got a mind of her own and use it mighty fine" My goodness!).

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 20, 2015 19:17

kleermaker
latebloomer

Bloomer, sorry for my reply, but you made me laugh again! Well, I know, I can't go on like this. cool smiley

To my taste this kind of ballad is really corny, just like Memory Motel ("She got a mind of her own and use it mighty fine" My goodness!).

Laugh away Kleerie...it is kinda silly taken in isolation, I agree. I should know better than to post before I've had my morning dose of caffeinated reality.
Maybe the song is corny, but so what? You could say it's corny, you could also say it's romantic..and here I thought you knew the difference. winking smiley

In either case, I don't count it as Mick's best work lyrically, but like MM, it has a sweet, pensive vibe to it. Now, back to reality, unless you want to come and clean out my basement for me. grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: July 20, 2015 19:19

When I came of age as a Stones fan this was their latest album, so this album means more to me than it probably does to folks younger or older than I am. That being said, this is not a good song, some of the lyrics are cringe worthy.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 20, 2015 19:37

It is reminiscent of earlier workings and may have originated from previous sessions, for instance "Exile". Till the Next Goodbye sounds like country or a ballad but it's still sounds Stonesy to me!

Fingerprint File is the Last track Mick Taylor involved "IORR".

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home