Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: Mick taking control
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:36

Stoneage
Mickschix
Evening Gown" is a great song on ANY level....bet Keith wishes he wrote that one!

You are kidding us, right? Do you really mean that?

don't you like that song?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:44

Evening Gown is one of the best ballads Mick ever wrote. It is fantastic and on any Stones-record it would have been a or even "the" highlight. If you don´t like that song you don´t like ice-cream... Anyway, I do love it.

Date: July 25, 2015 17:47

HMS
Evening Gown is one of the best ballads Mick ever wrote. It is fantastic and on any Stones-record it would have been a or even "the" highlight. If you don´t like that song you don´t like ice-cream... Anyway, I do love it.

what's your favourite flavour, cherry red?!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:55

mickschix
Rocky, your take on things is NOT just your opinion , rather based on real Stones facts, a part of Stones History and if Keefriffhards really knew his stuff, he would not be so annoyingly OFF BASE! And as far as " my take" on the 1977 Toronto drug bust, AGAIN, it is all factual and even Keith has acknowledged that Mick saved his sorry ass...and the band during that time. I like your OPINIONS on Mick's solo material. Everyone knows I am a huge Mick supporter so my words are usually considered biased BUT Wandering Spirit IS an amazing album and even though Mick's catalog did not achieve monetary success, they are still very successful on the creative level. " Evening Gown" is a great song on ANY level....bet Keith wishes he wrote that one!

Thanks, mickschix. I knew it was fact-based. I was being sarcastic. As for Mick not being successful, it's perception only. Compared to the Stones, sure, he didn't measure up. As a solo Stone, no one is close to Mick's success in terms of actual units. Yes, TALK IS CHEAP outsold PRIMITIVE COOL. It didn't come close to SHE'S THE BOSS and I believe WANDERING SPIRIT outsold it as well. None of Mick's solo studio efforts sold as poorly as MAIN OFFENDER. Those are facts. My opinions are WANDERING SPIRIT is as good as many Stones albums and better than several. I greatly enjoy PRIMITIVE COOL even if I disliked the choice of single. While I only really loved a couple songs, GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY was not the excrement Keith labelled it. A childish remark that gets repeated by imitative fans endlessly. And yes, I'm a Keith fan who loves both Winos albums. I find "Trouble" catchy if a bit vapid lyrically. I'll wait and judge his new album when I hear it. My objection is to Stones fans who think being loyal to Keith necessitates disparaging Mick. Yes, that's what they've been conditioned to do, but such behavior was nothing more than a press grab by Keith that did more damage than good over the years. Since the damage done while publicizing his book, Keith has knocked off public remarks (he had no bad words for SUPERHEAVY, for instance). Pity more fans can't follow suit and recognize their god now thinks it isn't cool to bash Mick. Genuine opinions of a particular song or album's merits are just that, I'm talking the agendas of those who are still in Keith school.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:58

I tend to find most of Sir Michael's solo efforts outdated and overproduced. With a few exceptions, where Evening Gown is not included.

Date: July 25, 2015 18:01

Rocky Dijon
mickschix
Rocky, your take on things is NOT just your opinion , rather based on real Stones facts, a part of Stones History and if Keefriffhards really knew his stuff, he would not be so annoyingly OFF BASE! And as far as " my take" on the 1977 Toronto drug bust, AGAIN, it is all factual and even Keith has acknowledged that Mick saved his sorry ass...and the band during that time. I like your OPINIONS on Mick's solo material. Everyone knows I am a huge Mick supporter so my words are usually considered biased BUT Wandering Spirit IS an amazing album and even though Mick's catalog did not achieve monetary success, they are still very successful on the creative level. " Evening Gown" is a great song on ANY level....bet Keith wishes he wrote that one!

Thanks, mickschix. I knew it was fact-based. I was being sarcastic. As for Mick not being successful, it's perception only. Compared to the Stones, sure, he didn't measure up. As a solo Stone, no one is close to Mick's success in terms of actual units. Yes, TALK IS CHEAP outsold PRIMITIVE COOL. It didn't come close to SHE'S THE BOSS and I believe WANDERING SPIRIT outsold it as well. None of Mick's solo studio efforts sold as poorly as MAIN OFFENDER. Those are facts. My opinions are WANDERING SPIRIT is as good as many Stones albums and better than several. I greatly enjoy PRIMITIVE COOL even if I disliked the choice of single. While I only really loved a couple songs, GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY was not the excrement Keith labelled it. A childish remark that gets repeated by imitative fans endlessly. And yes, I'm a Keith fan who loves both Winos albums. I find "Trouble" catchy if a bit vapid lyrically. I'll wait and judge his new album when I hear it. My objection is to Stones fans who think being loyal to Keith necessitates disparaging Mick. Yes, that's what they've been conditioned to do, but such behavior was nothing more than a press grab by Keith that did more damage than good over the years. Since the damage done while publicizing his book, Keith has knocked off public remarks (he had no bad words for SUPERHEAVY, for instance). Pity more fans can't follow suit and recognize their god now thinks it isn't cool to bash Mick. Genuine opinions of a particular song or album's merits are just that, I'm talking the agendas of those who are still in Keith school.

oh dear...that was so well put...you really 'riffed hard'.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 18:25

Rocky Dijon
mickschix

The mick/Keith feud is a massive PR success and is one of the few things that has kept the band in the newspapers over the past decades especially in those years they aren't touring. It is a marketing strategy that has done enormously well. it is most likely they laugh and joke about it behind closed doors.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 25, 2015 18:30

NO, Stoneage, NOT kidding...Evening Gown is simply a well-crafted exceptional ballad, NO MATTER WHO WROTE IT! Thanks guys for the back-up on that one! HMS, you always are the voice of reason.
Treaclefingers, I guess Stoneage must not love ice cream!! LOL! And to add a bit more fuel to the inferno, I think Mick's version of " You Got The Silver" is superior to Keith's. Not saying Keith doesn't do a great job singing this tune, ( one of his very best actually), but I prefer Mick's version. Have you all heard it? I'm betting you have.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 25, 2015 19:01

treaclefingers
Rocky Dijon
mickschix

oh dear...that was so well put...you really 'riffed hard'.

Lol. While I somewhat agree Mick's solo success has been understated and people have used that to bash him unnecessarily, it seems like Mick himself was a bit disappointed he didn't achieve superstardom as a solo artist. It's like he set his (and others) expectations really high and when those weren't met it was easily perceived as a failure. While Keith seemed to have no expectations beyond getting out there and making music, so any level of success was easily accepted. One should also consider the marketing efforts of both Mick and Keith's solo stuff if record sales are used as comparison. I get the impression Mick spent considerably more to achieve his numbers but I may be wrong.

I also believe lot of the fan's somewhat disparaging feeling toward Mick were based on the impression that he was single handedly trying to break up the Stones with his solo efforts, while Keith was perceived to be loyal to them above all else. Keith kind of flamed the fires with his narrative at the time and confirmed his feeling in Life. It might have been a press grab but his feeling were seemingly based on some truth. Now that the Stones very existence isn't threatened of course he isn't going to bash SuperHeavy or Mick.

Personally I liked some of Mick's solo stuff and some of Keith's solo stuff but neither is even close to what they had previously done together. Ironically, I actually like the solo stuff of both better than anything the Stones have done since. eye popping smiley I've got no agenda concerning my like of Mick or Keith, they have both put out good stuff and crap both as solo artists and collaborators, it's all about the music....I'd welcome another Mick solo effort, he's apparently got a lot of songs in the closet.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 25, 2015 19:09

mickschix
Rocky, your take on things is NOT just your opinion , rather based on real Stones facts, a part of Stones History and if Keefriffhards really knew his stuff, he would not be so annoyingly OFF BASE! And as far as " my take" on the 1977 Toronto drug bust, AGAIN, it is all factual and even Keith has acknowledged that Mick saved his sorry ass...and the band during that time.
I like your OPINIONS on Mick's solo material. Everyone knows I am a huge Mick supporter so my words are usually considered biased BUT Wandering Spirit IS an amazing album and even though Mick's catalog did not achieve monetary success, they are still very successful on the creative level. " Evening Gown" is a great song on ANY level....bet Keith wishes he wrote that one!

mickschix
Rocky, your take on things is NOT just your opinion , rather based on real Stones facts, a part of Stones History and if Keefriffhards really knew his stuff, he would not be so annoyingly OFF BASE! And as far as " my take" on the 1977 Toronto drug bust, AGAIN, it is all factual and even Keith has acknowledged that Mick saved his sorry ass...and the band during that time.

Exactly where did i make any reference to the Toronto bust ?.
I don't understand why some of you here are so insecure you need each other to back you up.
yes i'm sorry, Keith is my main man and i have been obsessed with him for 33 years, but i am also fair minded and i only make comments about what i believe to be true.
I am not trying to annoy or upset anyone.
I also think Mick Jagger is a genius a rock god. But i feel in the 80's he had a bit of a mid life crises and he was also guilty of misguided loyalty towards the Stones. Sorry again but i do see a lot of Mick's solo work a bit disappointing. I feel that he nearly ruined a lot of the respect and integrity the Stones had worked so hard to achieve all those years. I do find She's the Boss and his effeminate vocals on some tracks embarrassing.
I hope you guys on iorr don't take my views personally, i really enjoy talking over the finer points of the Stones history.
I also know sometimes keith can spin a yarn as the Cornish say, and as Bill Wyman said of Keiths book "dont let the truth get in the way of a good story".
Yes i admit it sometimes Keith just shouts his mouth off when he is drunk.
But Keith to me has far more integrity and loyalty in him than some suggest on iorr.
He has said some silly things about Mick that have caused years of band inactivity due to upsetting Mick.
I have a feeling now that keith is more sober and straight he has learnt his lesson.
So anyway you Mick jagger fans don't take it so hard its only rock and roll smoking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 25, 2015 20:09

Stoneage
Mickschix
Evening Gown" is a great song on ANY level....bet Keith wishes he wrote that one!

It's a farce...a pub grab
Outrageous

Date: July 25, 2015 20:22

Munichhilton
Stoneage
Mickschix

Outrageous

Think it could of been a great track but Mick does his fake Southern vocal accent on it. Its almost self conscious, like he wants to disguise his true voice. He does this frequently on solo stuff.
Almost like a parody. Thank god he man's up for Stones tracks.

Date: July 25, 2015 20:47

What are you talking about? You just posted the other day that without Keith's guitar, "Brown Sugar" would be "a girly nursery rhyme." You mention Mick ruining a number of solo tracks with his "effeminate vocals." When does he "man up" for the Stones? What about his "sissy-boy" vocals on "Satisaction?" What do you make of his fake Johnny Cash impression on "Dead Flowers?" While I enjoy this persona of yours, it's still no rival for Jar-Jar. Those were the glory days of IORR for me.

Date: July 25, 2015 20:49

Rocky Dijon
What are you talking about? You just posted the other day that without Keith's guitar, "Brown Sugar" would be "a girly nursery rhyme." You mention Mick ruining a number of solo tracks with his "effeminate vocals." When does he "man up" for the Stones? What about his "sissy-boy" vocals on "Satisaction?" What do you make of his fake Johnny Cash impression on "Dead Flowers?" While I enjoy this persona of yours, it's still no rival for Jar-Jar. Those were the glory days of IORR for me.

chortle.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 25, 2015 20:56

Rocky Dijon

To whom are you referring, Rocky Dijon?

Olly.

Date: July 25, 2015 20:59

I was responding to keefriffhards' post immediately above mine, Olly. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 25, 2015 21:07

Rocky Dijon
I was responding to keefriffhards' post immediately above mine, Olly. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks. Sometimes it's difficult to keep track of exchanges as discussions develop.

Olly.

Date: July 25, 2015 21:21

Rocky Dijon

Thats cool Rocky.
Wnen Mick is at his most deviant and masterful like on Rambler its great but i appreciate that love songs require emotion.
Im not trying to develop a persona im just being me and speaking my mind.
I really am sorry if i have offended you sad smiley

Date: July 25, 2015 21:30

Actually I was hoping for banter between us, keefriffhards. It can be entertaining. Wasn't offended.

Date: July 25, 2015 21:36

Rocky Dijon
Actually I was hoping for banter between us, keefriffhards. It can be entertaining. Wasn't offended.

Oh brillaint but you had me on the ropes there Rocky
Looking forward to round 2 winking smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 25, 2015 21:43

keefriffhards
Munichhilton
Stoneage
Mickschix

Outrageous

Think it could of been a great track but Mick does his fake Southern vocal accent on it. Its almost self conscious, like he wants to disguise his true voice. He does this frequently on solo stuff.

Evening Gown is the last Jagger-ballad, that is NOT a self parody (or close to self parody). Think of Stones-Ballads like Streets Of Love, Always Suffering, Already Over Me, Blinded By Rainbows - this stuff is really ridiculous to my ears. Horrible overacting... Solo-Ballads like Hard Woman or Party Doll are even worse. Hard Woman and Party Doll are not really bad songs, but terribly overacted.

Btw, I like his "fake southen accent" on Evening Gown quite a lot. The song has a great melody, even the lyrics are less dumb as on more recent ballads. I really do like it a lot but understand people doing not. It´s a matter of taste after all. One man´s meat is another man´s poison.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-25 22:06 by HMS.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 25, 2015 22:14

gotdablouse
...and that would be the Stones' Director of Business Affairs whose name escapes me now but she's credited son SSS (and Live at the Marquee) as a co-executive producer. She's also the one who set the prices for the O2 shows and got a choir involved according to an article in the Times (Guardian?)...oh and designed TShirts for these shows too apparently!

Apologies for necrobumping this part of the thread: it's Joyce Smyth, and she was originally Jagger's divorce lawyer, although obviously her role has expanded a lot since then (on which note, Naturalust is right, she was by all accounts the one who called MT to tell him he'd been dropped earlier this year).

Date: July 25, 2015 22:25

HMS
keefriffhards
Munichhilton
Stoneage
Mickschix

Outrageous

Evening Gown is the last Jagger-ballad, that is NOT a self parody (or close to self parody). Think of Stones-Ballads like Streets Of Love, Always Suffering, Already Over Me, Blinded By Rainbows - this stuff is really ridiculous to my ears. Horrible overacting... Solo-Ballads like Hard Woman or Party Doll are even worse. Hard Woman and Party Doll are not really bad songs, but terribly overacted.

Btw, I like his "fake southen accent" on Evening Gown quite a lot. The song has a great melody, even the lyrics are less dumb as on more recent ballads. I really do like it a lot but understand people doing not. It´s a matter of taste after all. One man´s meat is another man´s poison.

I grant you this, Evening Gown is a damn good song. He sings like that on Far Away Eyes but that is a sort of tongue in cheek humourus song by the Stones.
His voice works really well on Memory Motel my favourite Stones ballad.
I really think if Mick new just how brilliant he is and (was) he would never have needed to go solo. Mick is insecure in some ways but that's another thread for another day..

I mean insecure that he thinks he needs to compete with trends. Punk, Disco, Pop etc. When he dont or didn't

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-25 22:33 by keefriffhards.

Date: July 25, 2015 22:29

Stoneburst
gotdablouse
...and that would be the Stones' Director of Business Affairs whose name escapes me now but she's credited son SSS (and Live at the Marquee) as a co-executive producer. She's also the one who set the prices for the O2 shows and got a choir involved according to an article in the Times (Guardian?)...oh and designed TShirts for these shows too apparently!

Apologies for necrobumping this part of the thread: it's Joyce Smyth, and she was originally Jagger's divorce lawyer, although obviously her role has expanded a lot since then (on which note, Naturalust is right, she was by all accounts the one who called MT to tell him he'd been dropped earlier this year).

is she rupert's replacement?

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 25, 2015 22:35

stonehearted

As Phelge goes on to note: "...the balance of power within the band changed forever that night. Brian had opted out of any leadership role in dealing with Mickey Waller."
--Phelge's Stones, p. 209

I see it that way too. Phelge's book is marvelous. One of the best Stones books there is available. It is either Brian let Mick took the charge or Mick just grabbed the leadership to himself. Anyhow, this happened in the early stages and Phelge's 1964 sounds just right. I bet Keith never wanted to be the leader and he's satisfied for being the sidekick for Mick as long as he can play the guitar and write songs.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 25, 2015 23:08

Turner68
Stoneburst
gotdablouse

is she rupert's replacement?

Not sure - there was an interview with her in The Times a few years ago (after the O2, if memory serves), but it's behind their paywall. If anyone here is a subscriber, perhaps they could copypasta it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-25 23:09 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 26, 2015 00:19

HMS

Evening Gown is the last Jagger-ballad, that is NOT a self parody (or close to self parody)

Out Of Tears is not bad imo...

Date: July 26, 2015 00:55

I love Party Doll, Almost Hear You Sigh, Evening Gown, Hang On To Me Tonight, and Out of Tears. I like Already Over Me and Always Suffering just fine. It's really only more recent ballads like Streets of Love and Following the River that lose me.

As for Mick's country parody vocal, he does the same on "Dear Doctor." It never bothers me apart from "Faraway Eyes" where the gorgeous chorus deserved better verses. Hearing Mick on "Nothing But the Wheel" tells me he can still do country remarkably well.

Date: July 26, 2015 02:10

Rocky Dijon
I love Party Doll, Almost Hear You Sigh, Evening Gown, Hang On To Me Tonight, and Out of Tears. I like Already Over Me and Always Suffering just fine. It's really only more recent ballads like Streets of Love and Following the River that lose me.

As for Mick's country parody vocal, he does the same on "Dear Doctor." It never bothers me apart from "Faraway Eyes" where the gorgeous chorus deserved better verses. Hearing Mick on "Nothing But the Wheel" tells me he can still do country remarkably well.

Dear Doctor is really funny. I think it works, unlike some of his other "parodies". Perhaps we are agreeing on that.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 26, 2015 02:47

<<Almost Hear You Sigh>>

This is a Keith song, an outtake from Talk Is Cheap.

Here's the version with Keith on vocals: [www.youtube.com]

And here's a second version: [www.youtube.com]

Embedded links:

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1538
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home