Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 9, 2020 14:07

Record Mirror October 16, 1971.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 9, 2020 19:52

Deltics
24FPS
Sticky Fingers is only later day Stones album to have Bill Wyman play on every cut. Coincidence that it's their greatest album?

Later day album? It was released nearly half a century ago!

I consider the relevant Stones in the studio to have ended with Steel Wheels. I guess you could rephrase it to 'Later Golden Era' album.

Date: March 9, 2020 19:56

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
Sticky Fingers is only later day Stones album to have Bill Wyman play on every cut. Coincidence that it's their greatest album?

He's not playing bass on You Gotta Move, though winking smiley

Nice try, birthday boy. I said 'play on every cut'. Bill plays electric piano on You Gotta Move. Nobody plays bass. smileys with beer

Date: March 9, 2020 20:01

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
24FPS

He's not playing bass on You Gotta Move, though winking smiley

Nice try, birthday boy. I said 'play on every cut'. Bill plays electric piano on You Gotta Move. Nobody plays bass. smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 9, 2020 20:34

The perfect album.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 9, 2020 23:34

24FPS
Deltics
24FPS

I consider the relevant Stones in the studio to have ended with Steel Wheels. I guess you could rephrase it to 'Later Golden Era' album.
Disagree.There are great songs on Voodoo Lounge and Bridges have some great songs like Out of Tears ,Blinded by Rainbows,Thru and Thru ,Love is Strong, Out of Contol, Anybody Seen My Baby,Saint of Me ,Too Tight, How CanI Stop

Date: March 10, 2020 01:03

Taylor1
24FPS
Deltics
24FPS

Disagree.There are great songs on Voodoo Lounge and Bridges have some great songs like Out of Tears ,Blinded by Rainbows,Thru and Thru ,Love is Strong, Out of Contol, Anybody Seen My Baby,Saint of Me ,Too Tight, How CanI Stop

There's a handful at best. Most are echoes of songs already done. Blinded by Rainbows? Now you've lost all credibility. Few, if any, measure up to what the group accomplished from 1963-1989.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 10, 2020 01:38

Well,I’m sorry but I like Blinded by Rainbows.Great lyrics , great solo by Wood.I also like Sweethearts Together

Date: March 11, 2020 00:02

Taylor1
Well,I’m sorry but I like Blinded by Rainbows.Great lyrics , great solo by Wood.I also like Sweethearts Together

smileys with beer Life's too short to tussle over such things. I love Indian Girls and Blinded by Love. Some don't.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 11, 2020 01:25

Another Stones masterpiece. Start to finish. And by far the greatest conclusion to a Stones album with "Moonlight Mile." Although YCAGWYW is a hair behind it imo.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 11, 2020 13:25

A true classic album, sounds as thrilling today as it must have done back then. I think they really did it justice in 2015 when they played it in full - that DVD is just so good. They nailed it with some wonderful versions of the tracks.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 11, 2020 13:52

I really love this amazing album, but i still don't know why i prefer "Exile"!!! cool smiley

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 11, 2020 16:11

I shift around.

Beggars was my favorite for years....then I preferred Sticky.

....now I'm firmly in the Let it Bleed camp.

Exile is always #2 no matter who is in the #1 slot.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 13, 2020 02:58

And the MONO Promo version? Say what you want, call it a fold-down or whatever(I really don't know) BUT It smokes from start to finish!!

Date: March 13, 2020 03:28

STICKY FINGERS was so productive as far as the sessions go. Not only did they bring the classic album but many songs that would end up on EXILE; as well as a track on GOATS HEAD SOUP:

Shake Your Hips
Good Time Women (Tumbling Dice)
Sweet Virginia
Sweet Black Angel
All Down the Line
Stop Breaking Down
Shine A Light
Silver Train

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-13 03:32 by JordyLicks96.

Date: March 13, 2020 06:42

I think it was so good that it was hard to accept. People expected a little sloppiness from the band, and this was killer. Nobody, but nobody, could have made 'Bitch' but that group. Bill is superb on it. The brass kicks ass.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 17, 2020 02:39

JordyLicks96
STICKY FINGERS was so productive as far as the sessions go. Not only did they bring the classic album but many songs that would end up on EXILE; as well as a track on GOATS HEAD SOUP:

Shake Your Hips
Sweet Virginia
Sweet Black Angel
All Down the Line
Stop Breaking Down
Shine A Light
Silver Train

100 Years Ago was supposedly started during the 1970 SF sessions...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 17, 2020 04:19

That's a pretty impressive list of outtakes, there. I had no idea they were that prolific during the SF sessions.

jb

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: March 17, 2020 12:01

Whilst I like this album, it reflects Keith's new heroin addiction. It took far too long to release. Consider that Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, You Got To Move, were in the can when they returned from America in December 1969. Sway is one of my favourite numbers. Keith is nowhere to be seen on this one. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is an all time classic. Bitch is mor drivel. I Got the Blues You Can take cello tape and stick it on to 1972's live version of Love In Vain - it's sickening schmaltz. Sister Morphine is old news, recycled. Dead Flowers ditto. Moonlight Mile is great because I like that Mick will take an idea and run with it, knowing it's outside of the usual parameters.

So, the Stones were without Keith on this record. CYHMK is his only effort. Sticky Fingers is Mick Jagger and Mick Taylor working together. It wasn't until Exile that Keith regained control of the music. This album is Keef's arvo kip.

Date: March 17, 2020 17:55

HEILOOBAAS
Whilst I like this album, it reflects Keith's new heroin addiction. It took far too long to release. Consider that Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, You Got To Move, were in the can when they returned from America in December 1969. Sway is one of my favourite numbers. Keith is nowhere to be seen on this one. Can't You Hear Me Knocking is an all time classic. Bitch is mor drivel. I Got the Blues You Can take cello tape and stick it on to 1972's live version of Love In Vain - it's sickening schmaltz. Sister Morphine is old news, recycled. Dead Flowers ditto. Moonlight Mile is great because I like that Mick will take an idea and run with it, knowing it's outside of the usual parameters.

So, the Stones were without Keith on this record. CYHMK is his only effort. Sticky Fingers is Mick Jagger and Mick Taylor working together. It wasn't until Exile that Keith regained control of the music. This album is Keef's arvo kip.

The Stones were without Keith on SF....yeah I'm not going to even go into detail about everything that's wrong with that statement......

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: March 17, 2020 17:57

JordyLicks96
HEILOOBAAS

The Stones were without Keith on SF....yeah I'm not going to even go into detail about everything that's wrong with that statement......

Curious statement in almost every aspect smiling smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 17, 2020 18:30

JordyLicks96

Shake Your Hips
Sweet Virginia
Sweet Black Angel
All Down the Line
Stop Breaking Down
Shine A Light
Silver Train

According to Bobby Whitlock, I Just Wanna See His Face is also from the Sticky Fingers sessions.

I don’t have a source, but I feel like the version of Loving Cup on Exile is from the Sticky Fingers sessions (with overdubs in LA for Exile). There are no outtakes from France, and it’s totally different than the earlier sessions for Let It Bleed.

Turd On The Run could be as well, under a different name as an instrumental.

Date: March 17, 2020 18:31

HEILOOBAAS

Dead Flowers wasn’t recycled.

Date: March 17, 2020 19:20

<Keith is nowhere to be seen on this one (Sway)>

Er, he's all over the choruses.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:43

TravelinMan
HEILOOBAAS

Dead Flowers wasn’t recycled.

How was Sister Morphine and Dead Flowers "recycled"? Because they'd been around a while? How long is that? At the most, 3 years.

Anxious to read about how most of EOMS was "recycled", since, you know, it's full of pre-France tracks.

Date: March 18, 2020 16:40

I'm also not understanding how "Dead Flowers" is recycled. It was first worked on at the end of '69. The same time "Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and "You Gotta Move" were recorded. There are a handful of "recycled" Stones songs over the years. Where the problem lies is what I'm having trouble figuring out.

Also, Keith was still a well-functioned musician during this time. It wasn't until '73 where his heroin addiction really affected his musical abilities.

Date: March 18, 2020 16:47

Keith was still steady as a rock, musically, in 1973?

In 1975, however, he became a bit more hit and miss. Still great, though smiling smiley

Date: March 18, 2020 17:29

DandelionPowderman
Keith was still steady as a rock, musically, in 1973?

In 1975, however, he became a bit more hit and miss. Still great, though smiling smiley

I guess I was talking more in lines of studio work but yes, in '73 on stage Keith was still amazing smiling smiley

Date: March 18, 2020 18:15

JordyLicks96
I'm also not understanding how "Dead Flowers" is recycled. It was first worked on at the end of '69. The same time "Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and "You Gotta Move" were recorded. There are a handful of "recycled" Stones songs over the years. Where the problem lies is what I'm having trouble figuring out.

When and where was Dead Flowers first recorded? I always assumed sometime in 1970 at Olympic.

I just realized they first started playing it out on the 1970 tour of Europe. I always assumed it was first performed in 1971 during the British tour. It's one of those songs that has a definite studio vs stage version. The studio version is country western, while the live version is much more southern rock. I wrote a short paper on that in grad school, actually. smileys with beer

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 18, 2020 18:31

TravelinMan
JordyLicks96

When and where was Dead Flowers first recorded? I always assumed sometime in 1970 at Olympic.

I just realized they first started playing it out on the 1970 tour of Europe. I always assumed it was first performed in 1971 during the British tour. It's one of those songs that has a definite studio vs stage version. The studio version is country western, while the live version is much more southern rock. I wrote a short paper on that in grad school, actually. smileys with beer

From Zentgraf:

691209A 9th, 10th & 18th December: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns.
- Dead Flowers I (MJ/KR) -alternate take; Sticky Fingers Deluxe-version (sounds
more like a tour-rehearsals, might also come from August 1970 or March 1971)
- Dead Flowers II (MJ/KR) -STU on piano; "little Lucy"-version

700424A 24th April: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller. Sound
engineers: Glyn Johns, Andy Johns & Chris Kimsey. Final mixing.
- Dead Flowers III (MJ/KR) -STU on piano; Sticky Fingers-version

[www.nzentgraf.de]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home