Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 20, 2015 23:16

Maybe it´s a great piece of music, but too complicated for me. It sounds so weird, I can hardly bear it. And there are strings on it, i don´t like strings in rock music, strings belong to Frank Sinatra. Just listened to Moonlight Mile and had to put on She Said Yeah to blow this strange song out of my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-20 23:17 by HMS.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 20, 2015 23:39

HMS
Maybe it´s a great piece of music, but too complicated for me. It sounds so weird, I can hardly bear it. And there are strings on it, i don´t like strings in rock music, strings belong to Frank Sinatra. Just listened to Moonlight Mile and had to put on She Said Yeah to blow this strange song out of my ears.

ah, so its the strings...

and, its complicated..

guess you don't care much for 'Sway' either..its got them damn strings...

smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2015 00:44

2000man
HMS
Moonlight Mile almost ruins this masterful album. If I could have it my way, it would be removed from all further pressings. This very very strange and almost unlistenable song rather belongs to Their Satanic Majesties Request and even there it would be most unpleasing. One of my least-liked Stones-songs ever. How could they close this masterpiece with a song like Moonlight Mile, I will never understand that.

I believe you are in a minority of one with this opinion

Severe minority. Moonlight is beyond outstanding.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:02

duke richardson
HMS

and, its complicated..

guess you don't care much for 'Sway' either..its got them damn strings...

smoking smiley

or "out of time" or "as tears go by". of course if you count a fiddle as strings (and why wouldn't you), then you've got country honk... hmm... i assume choirs are ok? (YCAGWYW)

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:13

This was my third album that i got into with the Stones. After the Hits album Rolled Gold initiated me into Stonesworld and then after that Tattoo You.
Sticky was my favourite album then, and to this day, it still is.
I play it more than any other. Although Exile is more critically acclaimed, i prefer this. Its so easy to listen too.
Its soulful, moving and spiritual, you cant help but be taken in by it IMHO

I'll take this one as my desert Island disk..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 02:14 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:15

and, its complicated..

Guess HMS will never takes his kids to a macramé class ...HHHHAAAAAAA .....HHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ROCKMAN

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 02:20 by Rockman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:23

Rockman

and, its complicated..

Guess HMS will never takes his kids to a macramé class ...HHHHAAAAAAA .....HHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

...and possibly even more disconcerting, does this mean he can't tie his own shoes?

Date: July 21, 2015 02:24

Slippers don't have laces !!!!! ....HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: July 21, 2015 02:46

Utterly brilliant from start to finish - music, sleeve and amongst all the credits one of the finest ever insert sleeve comments...
"If for any reason you do not agree with the standards - turn it up"

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: July 21, 2015 03:19

My interpretation:

Undoubtably their "deepest" album. Where as they drew and wrote the materials from there other great albums (Bleed, Begger's ect...) from the abstract. With subject matter that varied.

Not so on Sticky, the entire album was written from a more personal point of view more so than any of their other albums.With most of it based on getting stoned and sex. But not sex in the "Notch on the bedpost" sense, Sex as a human need with someone you care about. You could argue that Brown Suger is a light hearted boyish number about ogling a beautiful black woman.

As for the drugs, you have the up all night guilt and shame on Sway, The I wish I could have been there to stop you from going to far on Wild Horses. The beginning of the night buzz and trying to connect with like minded drug users on Can't you hear me Knocking. Then you have You got to move which is not a direct drug song but it is a song about death, and we know death comes hand and hand with hardcore drug abuse.

On Bitch we have the the "sloppy drunk". I got the blues is the crash that comes after long nights of drug abuse and hangovers. Sister Morphine another overdose song but this one is in the first person as opposed to wild horses. Dead Flowers is the another beautifully written song about the isolation the drug abuser goes through, spending all his time with other abusers only concerned about getting more drugs, the humor in the song speaks to me of the lost hope and pride of I'd rather have you laugh at me than pity me.

Moonlight Mile is the true masterpiece of the album that ties it all together. It's the thought of transition back to normality......Yeah I'm coming HOME!!! The hope and the spirt of desperate man trying to do his best. He wants to, but can he?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:35

Rockman
Slippers don't have laces !!!!! ....HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Strippers do though !!!!! ....HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Date: July 22, 2015 00:44

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... well guess he won't be goin' ta any Bump & Grind clubs either

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 22, 2015 14:34

The next step forward after the rebirth with Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed. The first time in the history of the band there is an element of virtuosity and professionalism in their music - due to MT's full integration into the making of the album. It is a shame that he is not credited for co-writing many of the tracks. The songs cover the full range of Rhythm and Blues in the highest quality I guess. One of the musical products which could have been integrated in the Mariner missions in addition to Beethoven's and Chuck Berry's ...

Date: July 22, 2015 18:10

Stones songwriting credits should read...?

Brown Sugar - Jagger/Richards
Sway - Jagger/Taylor
Wild Horses - Jagger/Richards
CYHMK - Jagger/Richards
Bitch - Jagger/Richards
I Got The Blues - Jagger/Richards
Sister Morphine Jagger/Richards/Faithfull
Dead Flowers- Jagger/Richards
Moonlight Mile - Jagger/Taylor

Posted by: FlatulentBubbles ()
Date: July 22, 2015 19:23

Is "Bridges to Babylon" as good as "Sticky Fingers"?

Date: July 22, 2015 19:30

FlatulentBubbles

Not to anyone with a brain.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 22, 2015 19:31

CYHMK Jagger/Richards/taylor

Date: July 22, 2015 20:26

MisterO
My interpretation:

Undoubtably their "deepest" album. Where as they drew and wrote the materials from there other great albums (Bleed, Begger's ect...) from the abstract. With subject matter that varied.

Not so on Sticky, the entire album was written from a more personal point of view more so than any of their other albums.With most of it based on getting stoned and sex. But not sex in the "Notch on the bedpost" sense, Sex as a human need with someone you care about. You could argue that Brown Suger is a light hearted boyish number about ogling a beautiful black woman.

As for the drugs, you have the up all night guilt and shame on Sway, The I wish I could have been there to stop you from going to far on Wild Horses. The beginning of the night buzz and trying to connect with like minded drug users on Can't you hear me Knocking. Then you have You got to move which is not a direct drug song but it is a song about death, and we know death comes hand and hand with hardcore drug abuse.

On Bitch we have the the "sloppy drunk". I got the blues is the crash that comes after long nights of drug abuse and hangovers. Sister Morphine another overdose song but this one is in the first person as opposed to wild horses. Dead Flowers is the another beautifully written song about the isolation the drug abuser goes through, spending all his time with other abusers only concerned about getting more drugs, the humor in the song speaks to me of the lost hope and pride of I'd rather have you laugh at me than pity me.

Moonlight Mile is the true masterpiece of the album that ties it all together. It's the thought of transition back to normality......Yeah I'm coming HOME!!! The hope and the spirt of desperate man trying to do his best. He wants to, but can he?

Some good points here.

I think that SF is a fantastic album , as mentioned by all, but perhaps less spontaneous than BB (which is the album of the beginning of a new musical era, the guide on which (to) build a sound ad a new conception of making music ) and Let It Bleed ( which is a refined BB and with more strong tracks).

But from the other hand Side1 of SF is a pure gem, it has got Sway one of my favourite tracks.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:28

i read many years ago that 4 of the 5 stones members of that time considered beggars banquet as the best album, same as me. sticky fingers no doubt is one of the best. its amazing to think that the worlds best band can lose its once most influentual musician, its most charasmatic performer and founder member yet come back stronger with albums like let it bleed, sticky fingers and exile.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:38

I don't really fancy the studio versions of Dead Flowers, or You Gotta Move. I've replaced them with live versions and I like it better. Moonlight Mile is up with the best of the Beatles.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 00:00

FlatulentBubbles

Remember the B2B thread that would not die? Remember the folks clamoring for a Deluxe B2B reissue?

Date: October 9, 2015 13:48

some pictures from the olympic sessions.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: October 9, 2015 16:43

Moonlight Mile may be one of their finest pieces of work and certainly one of the most unique. I wish they played it more in concert, but I think any live version (this year's attempt was good) cannot possibly eclipse or match the studio version. Without Mick Taylor and Paul Buckmaster's strings, not a chance in hell to matching the beauty of the studio original.

What a masterpiece!

Sticky Fingers is from start to finish their finest work (not my favorite which is Let It Bleed). You Got to Move is a wonderful tribute to their blues origins, but my least favorite track. The rest deserves to be played and heard over and over and over and over and over...well, you get the idea.

Now LIB does not have one weak or dislikable track on it. Most haunting and mood capturing album ever by the Stones and one of the most relevant releases of its time by any artist, including the Beatles and Dylan. What a run they had from 1968-1972. No greater run by any band, except the Beatles. Not even Led Zeppelin could match it. Sticky Fingers is right in the middle and at the apex of this run.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 9, 2015 18:26

great photos pepganzo

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2015 18:39

Sticky Fingers

One word: CLASSIC

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 9, 2015 18:46

2000man
HMS
Moonlight Mile almost ruins this masterful album. If I could have it my way, it would be removed from all further pressings. This very very strange and almost unlistenable song rather belongs to Their Satanic Majesties Request and even there it would be most unpleasing. One of my least-liked Stones-songs ever. How could they close this masterpiece with a song like Moonlight Mile, I will never understand that.

I believe you are in a minority of one with this opinion

One man's ceiling is another man's floor

Date: October 9, 2015 19:20

Turner68
great photos pepganzo

Thanks, from the superdeluxe edition of Sticky Fingers.

Date: October 9, 2015 22:47

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: October 10, 2015 00:09

For me as close to perfection as it gets. I could do without You Got to Move.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: October 11, 2015 01:16

Great album. Better than Let It Bleed and almost as good as Beggars Banquet.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 2 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home