Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Somebody is missing Bill wyman?
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 2, 2005 21:34

Yeah, I missed him on the last tours. Liked this "SHY GUY" on stage always behind mick and keith----and he did a good work for 28 years ,including great STONES-RECORDS!your Opinion about bill? ( as a stones member)

Re: Somebody is missing Bill wyman?
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 2, 2005 21:56

Brilliant bassplayer. One of the best of all time. Maybe the best.

But I never liked him as a person.

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: August 2, 2005 22:16

He hasn't been missed since the second he left. Darryl adds a much deeper touch to the "new" Rolling Stones.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: August 2, 2005 22:18

Miss him terribly. He was an important part of the Stones-sound. Totally different from Darryl's style. So my wish is that Bill will appear with his band a few times during this tour. But there's a lot of pride, hurt feelings, bitterness and difficulties to be conquered before that's going to happen. Still, one can allways hope...

Date: August 2, 2005 22:21

No doubt he was important. We're talking about the man who did JJF!!!

Date: August 2, 2005 22:24

seems to me they play a little slower without Wyman
I was listening to Atlantic City 89
Bitch was hauling ass!

Date: August 2, 2005 22:25

Agree Donkey Girl Scout! Before they use to speed it up...was it Wyman?? Some of the stuff sounds great, other not!!!!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 2, 2005 22:36

Bill was a great stylist w/ a very recognizeable sound - deep, bluesy, w/ exceptional taste & a real sense of swing, & as a bassist he was as essential to the RS' sound (for 30 years) as McCartney (another great bassist) was to the Beatles'; always a self-effacing player, his concept was as he put it "to melt into Charlie's drums" - so many classics, from "Around & Around" & "Sweet Virginia" to "So Young" - and he played on many fine records outside the Stones, including "The London Howlin Wolf Sessions" (w/ Charlie & Stu) - the expanded 2-cd version is essential! His "Blues Odyssey" documentary/cd comp/book is terrific too.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 2, 2005 22:49

....but no many credits on "songwriting"--Mick--Keith--just remember...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:02

Just 2 released, "In Another Land" & "Downtown Suzie". And the Nanker Phelge credits.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:21

Somebody is missing Bill Wyman??

I bet Charlie is.....

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:25

Daryl just doesn't mesh as well with Charlie like Bill did. I'd love to see him back but it ain't gonna happen I'm afraid.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:25

Well, I guess they don't need Bill's amp any longer,
and with Bill out of the picture, some of the birds
will pay attention to Mick.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:26

Interesting bass player on record. Live, what does it matter who's playing bass. All I hear on the bottom end is a blurred booming sound.

Date: August 2, 2005 23:27

I myself seem to revolve around the bass line in music
I hear the bass being the center and everyone plays around it

Wyman took ya for a nice ride. He was very important to their sound.
He is greatly missed by me.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:32

Wyman was an absolutely VITAL cog in the Stones machine. Not slagging Darryl, but Wyman is sorely missed. Wyman was one of the few rock bassists (yeah, Macca is another) with a melodic/lyrical quality. There are times when I'll listen to nothing but his basslines on some songs - Let it Bleed and Imagination (from '81 live shows)...sigh....

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 2, 2005 23:33

Glimmer Twins let charlie pic daryl,,,ill take wyman live or studio over him anyday,,,I MISS U BILL

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 3, 2005 08:28

Kinda agree with you. Charlie right hand man.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 3, 2005 14:19

Daryl is more underated than Wyman and yet adds to the Stones and makes them sound fresh. Love the post 90 live sound of the Stones.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 3, 2005 15:06

KSIE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting bass player on record. Live, what
> does it matter who's playing bass. All I hear on
> the bottom end is a blurred booming sound.

Well you have to listen to Handsome girls and Hampton '81 some more. Man did he swing with Charlie in those years.
If you compare When the whip comes down from Handsome girls and Live Licks you can hear the diferrents. Although the live licks version is really great it misses the great swinging bass!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: August 3, 2005 15:26

Have listened to both, and agree with your opinion. I was talking about actually being at the concert where somehow, no matter what I pay for the ticket, I never get the soundboard feed. :-)

Bill definitely had "the swing".

Karl

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: August 3, 2005 15:53

Miss him a lot. His playing was much more stonesy than darryls. Darryl is steril, while Bill was a raw rockandroll player. Technically not that fast, but the basslines he wrote are much better than darryls on voodoo or bridges.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 3, 2005 15:59

I think Daryl is a good bass player and I certainly wouldn't call him sterile! However, I would love to see the Stones with Bill - my first tour was VL.

Apart from anything else, Bill was a member of the band. Daryl is a support musician - not appearing on publicity photos etc.

Also, Bill's basslines had a funny knack of almost hiding within a song, but they were always there somewhere at the bottom moving you. You can bet Bill wouldn't have attempted a bass solo in Stray Cat Blues.

Apart from that, he was the sex god of the Stones - if you believe his book.

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: August 3, 2005 16:07

Bill was 1/2 of what used to be the best, most swinging, and most incomparable rythym section in all of rock and roll, in both the studio and in concert. IMO, the legendary Stones sound was gone upon his departure. I miss him terribly.

Darryl, on the other hand, adds NOTHING. He is as benign a bass player as it gets. But I imagine it's not his fault. I'm sure Mick and Keith want it that way.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: August 3, 2005 16:55

Sure he was part of the Stones sound for almost 30 years and a great bassplayer but...Daryl is too and doesn't make so much mistakes as Bill did (try to count them on ya ya's, you won't believe it...

Indeed they play slower since steel wheels but my guess is the technique does it's work, clicktrack FE

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 3, 2005 17:11

The question is also: Does Bill Wyman miss the Stones?
Partially with his lowline interviews he doesn't really open the road for coming back, which I am nearly sure they would welcome him.
I would appreciate his appearance, but I doubt as there is no space left on the photos anymore......

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: August 3, 2005 18:17

Mandy misses Bill, Bill misses her mis

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: August 3, 2005 18:57

I miss Bill Wyman a lot. He is the bass player that the Rolling Stones need. He is a great musician and a great song writer as well. The matter is :Keith and Mick never wanted to record Bill's compositions. It's a shame. Besides Bill and Charlie are to play together.
I could meet Bill several times with the Rhythm Kings. I could talk with him and take photos. Each time he was very friendly. Bill is a great musician and a nice guy.

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:12

He´s is an original member and an essential part in The Rolling Stones history. Yes, I miss him.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 3, 2005 20:33

When Wyman left, the Stones should have called it quits. Charlie and Bill were the engine behind the Stones, without them Stones music would not have been possible. Not Keith, Taylor, Wood or Jagger was the Stones musically, it was Charlie and Bill. Darryl Jones is the worst bassist for the Stones. He doesn't swing, he doesn't understand to play in between. And, he has a horrible sound.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home