Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wearing a Stones tee shirt in public.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 17, 2015 07:08

One day after the Stones show in Buffalo, I departed for a mini vacation in NYC, my first visit. I stayed at the Millennium Hotel in Times Square between 44th and 45th street. On our first night we went down to Washington Square Park. I decided to wear an older Stones black tee shirt with the red big tongue logo on it. My wife complained about it saying it looked kind of beat up. Within 10 minutes of that comment, two different women came up to me as we sat on a bench between the chess tables and the fountain, and complimented me on the shirt and added how much they liked the Stones. I turned to my wife and said "so there you go, that settles that."

Anyways, I always take extra notice to someone that wears the shirt, it is kind of like a special club. Every tee shirt has a story.

Re: Wearing a Stones tee shirt in public.
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 17, 2015 11:47

My students tend to wear Stones shirts on the day they get their grades. Isn't it strange tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 17, 2015 12:13

with sssoul that's funny. Nobody likes a suck-up. Here in Germany not too many older people wear rock and roll shirts. Those that do usually give each other a thumbs up. I suspect younger kids wear it for fashion.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 17, 2015 12:16

ROCKMAN

Date: July 17, 2015 12:40

frankotero
with sssoul that's funny. Nobody likes a suck-up. Here in Germany not too many older people wear rock and roll shirts.

But but but we're not "older people" - we're rock & rollers! Different animal :E

Posted by: TE ()
Date: July 17, 2015 12:46

We got married in Stones shirts. The judge laughed when the four of us walked in...

TE
Oslo

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 17, 2015 13:20

In Tokyo, you see them from time to time, some times young girls who appear to be wearing them as a fashion item, but sometimes older guys who look more like fans. I usually smile if I see them.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: July 17, 2015 14:05

My students usually liked my Stones' shirts when I would wear one. It is fun when you are at a show and can see the range of Stones gear in evidence.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 17, 2015 14:07

i will be wearing my zipcode tee everywhere I go for as long as possible, partly because it's so comfortable and partly because i want to make everyone I know jealous smiling smiley

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 15:17

I've been wearing a Tongue t-shirt since I was 18 y.o.
Now I'm 42 and I still do it usually (once or twice a week).
Got a huge collection of them, but what I prefer is the classical, genuine and traditional black t-shirt with red tongue on it. IMO it's the most rnr look clothes you can wear with that investment (a zen way of look), you don't need anything.... well, some shoes and trousers.smiling smiley

In Spain, people under 30 wear the Stones t-shirt as a fashion item. I think many teenagers don't even know who the Stones are or what they mean in the music history (Zara, H&M,etc...) .
But when you meet somebody in their fourties, you know he/she is a genuine rock lover.
I got that tongue tattooed in my arm too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 15:20 by spain73.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 17, 2015 15:19

for the Milwaukee show i wore my blacked out tongue shirt which was very cool . only the second time i have ever worn that one . that is one very special shirt that i do not want to wear out .

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 17, 2015 15:32

What a funny thought, I've been wearing rock and roll shirts around 40 years now. I don't care what the fad or fashion is but I have to say it's great seeing women dressed in tongues even if they don't know what it meanssmiling smiley When I lived in Italy, Spain and Japan I used to get strange looks because it's sort of unusual there. But maybe that's changed by now?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 15:45

My mrs trying to stop me wearing them all the time. thumbs down

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 17, 2015 15:53

Other than around the house, at the gym, and running errands, I don't wear them out much in public. In the conservative world of the Northern Virginia suburbs where I live, everyone is busy working hard to spend the taxpayer's money, and wearing something as frivolous as the tongue logo is frowned upon. So outwardly, I am a proper, middle-aged woman with a family and a serious job...inwardly, I'm just a Stones chick. cool smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:00

TE
We got married in Stones shirts. The judge laughed when the four of us walked in...

TE
Oslo

The four of you? Are you a Mormon?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:07

Roll73
TE

TE
Oslo

The four of you? Are you a Mormon?

...and laughing judges? thats been a bad sign in my experience...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:16

Has anyone ever seen BV wearing one out on the town?

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:51

When I saw the Stones on May 30 in Columbus, Ohio, I received several thumbs up for my Tumbling Dice , 1972 Tour shirt. One lady asked if she could take a picture of me. Instead she took a picture of the front of my shirt, and not my face. I think some thought I had attended that concert in that shirt but it was purchased new at Hot Topic a few weeks before the concert. I did not attend the 1972 concert by the way.

I think I could easily have sold it for a pretty good profit right off my back.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:28

religiously on the days i go to the gym - during the workout the tee shirt reminds me to stay energized and to keep driving through

sometimes to work

and to sleep in

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 19:28 by CloudCat.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:30

with sssoul
My students tend to wear Stones shirts on the day they get their grades. Isn't it strange tongue sticking out smiley

really?

does it work out in their favour?

Date: July 17, 2015 19:36

CloudCat
religiously on the days i go to the gym - during the workout the tee shirt reminds me to stay energized and to keep driving through

sometimes to work

and to sleep in

Just wore my tank tongue tee to my gym class this morning. smiling smiley My teen son actually wears them all the time now, the ones he owns and the ones he borrows from me. As Beast has complained and I agree, most of the tour shirts only come in men's sizes. So even a small mens doesn't fit me right. That's one of the reasons I mostly only wear them around the house. Lucky Brand had a good selection of Stones tees in womens sizes for this recent tour.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:50

I once sat at an outside coffeehouse table reading and wearing my 40-Licks-Tour T-shirt when about seven girls about 14 filed past, a couple randomly singing, and, as a joke, I said, "Thanks for singing for me." They continued into a boutique. About ten minutes later they exited and again filed past and, this time as they passed me, all seven were singing BEAST OF BURDEN. I said, "Is that for me?" They nodded and continued to file past and sing. It was totally adorable. They'd seen my T-shirt.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:51

here in scotland, just outside the artic circle sometimes you get young teenage girls wearing stones t-shirts. i doubt very much that they are into the music and really just do it as a fashion statement.

Date: July 17, 2015 19:53

Title5Take1
I once sat at an outside coffeehouse table reading and wearing my 40-Licks-Tour T-shirt when about seven girls about 14 filed past, a couple randomly singing, and, as a joke, I said, "Thanks for singing for me." They continued into a boutique. About ten minutes later they exited and again filed past and, this time as they passed me, all seven were singing BEAST OF BURDEN. I said, "Is that for me?" They nodded and continued to file past and sing. It was totally adorable. They'd seen my T-shirt.

Very cute story, must have made your day. smiling smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:53

I may have told this story before on iorr, and apologies if I have, but just in case;

When I was a Lecturer in the 1990's I noticed two of my female students walking around college both wearing a plain white t shirt with the classic lapping tongue design on...no Rolling Stones on it or anything that mentioned names of the bands. Anyway, later, when they came into the lecture room and commented that they were great t shirts and that I had quite a few of my own...at this point about 5 or 6 of the group started giggling and generally dissolving into hysterics. Naturally I couldn't understand this reaction and for the next 10 minutes or so tried my very best to get the reason out of them...eventually one brave soul spoke up and informed me that it's 'the symbol for oral sex' ! I was more shocked at their complete and utter ignorance of the significance of what they were wearing than the supposed relation to oral sex.

So, that would support what many of you have already said that many young people wear them becuase they've seen the design on some 'celebrity' or other and haven't the faintest idea it is the logo of the Rolling Stones.

Even more worrying was a conversation I had last week with a 17 year old who hadn't heard of the RS....very scary

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 17, 2015 21:11

crumbling_mice
I may have told this story before on iorr, and apologies if I have, but just in case;

When I was a Lecturer in the 1990's I noticed two of my female students walking around college both wearing a plain white t shirt with the classic lapping tongue design on...no Rolling Stones on it or anything that mentioned names of the bands. Anyway, later, when they came into the lecture room and commented that they were great t shirts and that I had quite a few of my own...at this point about 5 or 6 of the group started giggling and generally dissolving into hysterics. Naturally I couldn't understand this reaction and for the next 10 minutes or so tried my very best to get the reason out of them...eventually one brave soul spoke up and informed me that it's 'the symbol for oral sex' ! I was more shocked at their complete and utter ignorance of the significance of what they were wearing than the supposed relation to oral sex.

So, that would support what many of you have already said that many young people wear them becuase they've seen the design on some 'celebrity' or other and haven't the faintest idea it is the logo of the Rolling Stones.

Even more worrying was a conversation I had last week with a 17 year old who hadn't heard of the RS....very scary

Ha! Great story mice. I get the feeling Mick would probably approve of those girls interpretation of the tongue logo....gist for the mill.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 22:41

When i travelled to Paris, even thou the concert had been cancelled and wearing my stones cap, a couple of the market traders started whistling miss you.

Brought a smile to my face.

Date: July 17, 2015 22:52

latebloomer
CloudCat

sometimes to work

and to sleep in

Just wore my tank tongue tee to my gym class this morning. smiling smiley My teen son actually wears them all the time now, the ones he owns and the ones he borrows from me. As Beast has complained and I agree, most of the tour shirts only come in men's sizes. So even a small mens doesn't fit me right. That's one of the reasons I mostly only wear them around the house. Lucky Brand had a good selection of Stones tees in womens sizes for this recent tour.

I wear mine to the gym as well smiling smiley its definitely a good motivator though sadly I end up ruining them with sweat. The tshirts are good conversation starters, especially my Mick in the "Linda Rondstandt Queen of L.A." shirt! I love seeing other people out in Stones shirts too, I usually end up talking to them.

Date: July 17, 2015 22:55

latebloomer
As Beast has complained and I agree, most of the tour shirts only come in men's sizes. So even a small mens doesn't fit me right.

That is a problem, but in the farfetched place I live I can have them cut down to size pretty cheaply,
after which I can wear them happily to work - anywhere, really, except to Stones shows.

CloudCat, wearing Stones tshirts on grading day works to the students' advantage
if and only if they can hold a reasonable conversation about the Stones
and if it happens to be my rock & roll class they're getting the grade for :E

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 17, 2015 22:57

crumbling_mice

If I may ask: a University in which country?

Olly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home