Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: OT: David Gilmour new album and tour
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 25, 2015 14:36

"Only complain, a concert where people inclusive FOS sit down 95% of the time!!!"

Yes, but to be fair much of the music is rather solemn...

Date: September 25, 2015 14:55

A mosh pit on Comfortably Numb would be... a bit contradictory...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 25, 2015 15:13

Saw the show last night at the Royal Albert Hall and it was amazing. The light show blew my head off and when they played Astronomy Domine the lights guys created the kind of swirling oil lamp effect that they used to use back in the old Syd days.

I was hesitant about the new album at first but it's a real grower. He obviously has gone for a formula and his songs are easily identifiable as being inspired by certain Floyd albums or era eg Faces Of Stones would not sound out of place on The Wall.

If you ever loved Floyd and have a chance to still get tickets then don't miss it.

Date: September 25, 2015 15:18

Sounds great, Mike. Will he do an extensive tour this time?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 25, 2015 15:37

DandelionPowderman

I thought he already played some European dates. And he's off to America soon. I think this could be his biggest ever world tour.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 25, 2015 15:39

MartinB
"Only complain, a concert where people inclusive FOS sit down 95% of the time!!!"

Yeah, and I don't think he minds it all. Just would lift the spirit.

Anyway, it was a great concert. He still plays fantastic guitar, good solos and his pedal steel was great as well. He still has a very good voice, just compensated here and there either with back-up or alternating the high notes with lover ones...

And not bad with the intermission, gave an opportunity for more beer and toilet.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 25, 2015 18:18

MartinB

They're not exactly a dance band. In fact, they once titled a compilation album "A Collection of Great Dance Songs" as a joke.

Date: September 25, 2015 18:24

Silver Dagger
Saw the show last night at the Royal Albert Hall and it was amazing. The light show blew my head off and when they played Astronomy Domine the lights guys created the kind of swirling oil lamp effect that they used to use back in the old Syd days.

I was hesitant about the new album at first but it's a real grower. He obviously has gone for a formula and his songs are easily identifiable as being inspired by certain Floyd albums or era eg Faces Of Stones would not sound out of place on The Wall.

If you ever loved Floyd and have a chance to still get tickets then don't miss it.

Roger may have been the mastermind, but I think Dave gives you a little more that old "space cadet glow" experience. I saw Floyd in '94 and didn't mind that Roger wasn't there. Dave's voice, Dave's guitar. That to me is Pink Floyd.

Date: September 25, 2015 18:27

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

I thought he already played some European dates. And he's off to America soon. I think this could be his biggest ever world tour.

It's still not very big. Only 4 cities and 10 shows in all of North America.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 25, 2015 18:37

tatters
Silver Dagger

Roger may have been the mastermind, but I think Dave gives you a little more that old "space cadet glow" experience. I saw Floyd in '94 and didn't mind that Roger wasn't there. Dave's voice, Dave's guitar. That to me is Pink Floyd.

Agree. David Gilmour is by far the most exciting musician from all of them. I would not pay to see Roger Waters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2015 19:12

A cool pic a friend sent me from one of the RAH shows (photo credit unknown)

If anyone else has any pics, they would be nice to see!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As for Roger Waters vs. David Gilmour - one will always be less without the other imo (some say the same with Mick and Keith).

David bills himself as "THE VOICE AND GUITAR OF PINK FLOYD" as the sticker on the new cd boldly claims.
And Roger has billed himself as "THE BRAINS AND CHIEF SONGWRITER OF PINK FLOYD" or "THE CREATIVE GENIUS BEHIND PINK FLOYD" and other variations along those lines.
(Seems they both forgot about Syd Barrett...the original singer, songwriter, AND guitar player)

I'm just glad Waters and Gilmour are both still out there doing what they do, even if it's of a lesser quality of when they were actually together as a band.

Semi-off topic:
For what it's worth, the new Wall movie documenting Roger's last tour will be showing for one night on Sept. 29 in selected theaters.
Looking forward to that as it was mind-boggling show as far as stage production and special effect are concerned...and the music wasn't too shabby either.

‘The Wall Live’ - the biggest worldwide tour by any solo artist in history - now comes to select movie theatres as a groundbreaking concert film, written and directed by Roger Waters and Sean Evans. “Roger Waters The Wall” is a film that unfolds on many levels: an immersive concert experience of the seminal 1979 Pink Floyd album, road movie of Waters’ reckoning with the death of his father in World War II, and a stirring film that highlights the human cost of armed conflict".

Roger The Wall Movie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 20:18 by Hairball.

Date: September 25, 2015 19:42

Hairball

As for Roger Waters vs. David Gilmour - one will always be less without the other imo (some say the same with Mick and Keith).

David bills himself as "THE VOICE AND GUITAR OF PINK FLOYD" as the sticker on the new cd boldly claims.
And Roger has billed himself as "THE BRAINS AND CHIEF SONGWRITER OF PINK FLOYD" or "THE CREATIVE GENIUS BEHIND PINK FLOYD" and other variations along those lines.
(Seems they both forgot about Syd Barrett...the original singer, songwriter, AND guitar player)

I saw an interview with Roger Waters here on Youtube and he highly appreciated Syd Barrett and as being the brain behind their first music, he wrote a big part of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn".

Date: September 25, 2015 20:08

Yes they both highly appreciate him - tears in their eyes sometimes when talking about him.
I was just being tongue-in-cheek with the way they've been labeling themselves commercially when doing things separately from eachother in recent years.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:15

From the Telegraph:

David Gilmour, Royal Albert Hall, review: 'the full Floyd experience in all but name'

James Hall 24 September 2015 • 11:36am

Royal Albert Hall

There is no such thing as “scaled back” Pink Floyd. It would be like AC/DC without the amps or Glastonbury without the Pyramid Stage. So it was a relief that David Gilmour, on his first tour in almost a decade, gave us the full Floyd experience in all but name.

This concert, the first of five at the Albert Hall, was a stadium show in a relatively intimate setting. Much of Gilmour’s backing band were Floyd veterans, more than half the set list was made up of Floyd songs and the production was designed by the band’s long-term collaborator Marc Brickman. Above the stage hung the band’s trademark “Mr Screen”, a vast circular projection canopy surrounded by 50 swivelling lights. There were lasers, dry ice and guitar solos loud and high-pitched enough to bring the dogs of Kensington scurrying to the Albert Hall’s gilded doors. In fact, the only thing preventing this from being a full-on Pink Floyd show was the absense of Nick Mason on drums and Roger Waters on guitar and vocal duties. But given that Gilmour and Waters don’t get on as well as they once did, that was never going to happen.

As Pink Floyd’s guitarist, Gilmour developed his own, uniquely articulate sound. And, as a single, icy guitar note pierced through the washes of synth during the opener, 5am – from his new album Rattle That Lock – it could have been no one but him on stage. Much of the first half featured tracks from that same release, which is on course to beat fellow veterans Keith Richards and Cliff Richard to number one this weekend. It’s a varied record, with lyrics by Gilmour’s wife, novelist Polly Samson. Faces of Stone featured parps of an accordion and spiralling clarinet, bringing to mind Leonard Cohen.

Then came the first big moment. To deploy Wish You Were Here so early showed the strength of Gilmour’s back catalogue - it was lusciously arranged and rapturously received. For the gentle A Boat Lies Waiting, a tribute to Floyd’s keyboard player Rick Wright, who died in 2008, Gilmour brought out “a couple of pals”: David Crosby and Graham Nash. Their harmonies were exceptional.

Gilmour opened the second half with Astronomy Domine from Floyd’s 1967 debut The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. All the psychedelic elements were there: rolling drums, lyrics about planets, pounding bass, flashing lights and a “liquid light” display on Mr Screen. It could have been a “happening” at the late-Sixties psychedelic hangout the UFO Club but for the generally subdued and mature crowd.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond was epic, its four-note riff echoing into the rafters. But The Girl in the Yellow Dress, a new one, misfired. Not because it was bad, but because its louche, intimate jazz was just so different from the glacially huge sounds that preceded and followed it.

During Run Like Hell, from The Wall, a single audience member wigged out in the aisle, all flailing limbs and spiralling hands. He was in danger of looking like a sole crusader until five other people joined him. Then a dozen more. By the song’s end the Albert Hall’s aisles were heaving.

The finale, Comfortably Numb, saw Crosby and Nash return to the stage for the third time. Crosby did the verse, Gilmour the chorus, with Nash thickening the soup with lavish harmonies. As Gilmour played that song’s famous second guitar solo under a ceiling of a thousand lasers, it was hard to imagine a better blend of atmosphere, visuals and sound.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: September 25, 2015 20:24

If anyone is selling any tickets to one of the MSG shows in April, send me a message. I missed out on getting the tickets when they were released.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:36

mtaylor
Hairball

I saw an interview with Roger Waters here on Youtube and he highly appreciated Syd Barrett and as being the brain behind their first music, he wrote a big part of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn".

Regardless of who wrote what, Roger's band (and I saw them 5 times, from 1984 to 2006) just doesn't sound very much like Pink Floyd. How could they? He was only the bass player, and no one else plays guitar like Dave. Even the 1984 Waters shows with Clapton playing guitar lacked Floyd's trademark spacey sound.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 20:39 by tatters.

Date: September 25, 2015 20:42

True Tatters.

*Although Rogers version of The Wall tour was quite spot on with several hired gun studio session players and singers.
The guy who sang Gilmours parts, while not exact, came pretty damn close.
It took 3 guitar players to fill the void of Gilmour (including Snowy White and GE Smith), but again it was nearly note for note perfection - soundwise and stylewise.
As a matter of fact the music was so close and identical to the studio version, that it was the actual show istelf (cutting edge special effects, theatrics, etc.) that became the highlight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-25 20:50 by Hairball.

Date: September 25, 2015 21:41

tatters
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

It's still not very big. Only 4 cities and 10 shows in all of North America.

Much smaller than the On An Island Tour from 2005/2006.
I am looking forward to my second row seats in Toronto!!

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: September 25, 2015 22:03

Hairball
Yes they both highly appreciate him - tears in their eyes sometimes when talking about him.
I was just being tongue-in-cheek with the way they've been labeling themselves commercially when doing things separately from eachother in recent years.

Quite an interesting Interview with Roger Waters

around 09:00 briefly mentioned Syd as the composer on the first album.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 25, 2015 22:17

mtaylor
Hairball

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 25, 2015 22:44

NICOS
mtaylor
Hairball

[www.youtube.com]

Nice, you can clearly see the appreciation,admiration, and compassion he has for Syd.

And not to revert back too far astray on this topic, but Roger Waters and that recent Wall tour he did was really quite an amazing spectacle.
For those who didn't see it (whether Pink Floyd fans or not),I highly recommend seeing it in a theater this upcoming Tuesday (don't know if it's a worldwide event though)..
It would be the next best thing, and then there will be the dvd releases, etc, but a state of the art theater with lots of people might capture the atmosphere best.

And one addition to my previous post regarding that recent Wall tour - Snowy White who was one of three guitar players (as I mentioned),
also toured with Pink Floyd during the original Wall tour in 1980. I believe he also played on the Animals tour.

------------------------------------------------------

And now back to Gilmour.....smoking smiley

Date: September 30, 2015 17:23

The Bobby Whitlock show I had tickets to last night got cancelled so I went to the Roger Waters movie instead. I liked it a lot, and I don't even care for The Wall all that much. Anyone else catch it?

Date: September 30, 2015 17:53

Yes I did, it was rather quite good!

Sound was a bit off in the theater I saw it at - not quite loud enough, and a bit muffled here and there (maybe due to the mix itself)?
And the off stage/road trip bits, while maybe better left for a separate documentary, added another layer to the meaning of The Wall for Roger.
Visually it was stunning -the road trip bits as well as the concert itself. All in all an adequate representation of that tour.

Here's the official trailer for those who missed it and might be interested in seeing it when released on blue ray, dvd, etc.

Roger Waters The Wall Official Trailer

Date: September 30, 2015 18:29

The road trip bits were, in a way, more "Floydian" than the concert itself. The Wall is, at best, only my fourth favorite Pink Floyd album. Too much focus on the concept and the lyrics and not enough on the music. Musically, it's Gilmour who provided The Wall's best moments, and there's not enough of them. I found myself wishing they'd at least used the version of "Comfortably Numb" from the tour's one show where Dave made a guest appearance. But, yeah, for the most part, it looked and sounded really good. If they do an encore presentation before the DVD comes out, I'd recommend going to see it.

Roger and Nick were surprisingly silly during the post film question and answer session. Like a couple of old war buddies .... you could see them trying to push one another to say something suitably poignant, but they were having way too much fun to take the whole process very seriously.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-30 18:33 by tatters.

Date: September 30, 2015 18:38

Yeah sadly Gilmour was pretty much MIA during the entire movie - even when Roger was asked about the writing of Comfortably Numb during the interview part.
I would have hoped he would have at least mentioned Gilmours major contribution in writing, singing, and the stunning guitar parts, but nada
At least Nick said it was his favorite tune from The Wall because of the "cooperation" during the recording process.
But then Roger abruptly cut that short by saying his favorite tune was Vera....haha, my least favorite tune when it was first released,
but fits in well with the album/story as a whole.

Date: October 1, 2015 00:28

i like the new album

Date: October 1, 2015 03:02

"Due to phenomenal fan demand, more shows of Roger Waters The Wall have been added across the US.
Please check rogerwatersthewall.com for details".

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 1, 2015 17:33

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 1, 2015 03:48

"On Friday, a special limited edition set of two 7" singles was released, featuring previously unreleased Pink Floyd tracks. There were just over 1000 of these sets available. "Pink Floyd 1965 – Their First Recordings" included Lucy Leave, Double O Bo, Remember Me, Walk With Me Sydney, Butterfly and I'm A King Bee.

If you weren't one of the lucky ones to come across one of these in your local record store (the only place they were available from), don't worry, Pink Floyd hope to make them available in some physical form towards the end of next year."

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 2, 2015 14:26

Apparently, Dave's added another show in NYC, at Radio City Music Hall, on the 10th of April.

[www.ticketmaster.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-02 14:32 by tatters.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home