Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: OT: David Gilmour new album and tour
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 25, 2016 19:59

Just saw it on Dime !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 25, 2016 20:25

The first official review is in - a positively glowing review from the OC Register:

David Gilmour soars in Hollywood Bowl show

It’s been a decade since David Gilmour, rock guitar god and singer in the legendary progressive rock band Pink Floyd, last toured, so the sense that this first of three shows in Southern California was an event with a capital E was evident in the high spirits and excited chatter of fans walking up to the Hollywood Bowl on Thursday.

Why he doesn’t play more often is a mystery kept by the 70-year-old Brit who sang most of the hits on classic Pink Floyd albums such as “Dark Side of the Moon” and “Wish You Were Here.”

It’s certainly not that he’s not still making art at a high level – last year’s “Rattle That Lock” is a very fine record, but it too comes after a gap of 10 years or so. It’s definitely not for lack of interest – in addition to Thursday and Friday at the Bowl there’s a Sunday show at the Forum in Inglewood.

And it’s absolutely not from any decline in his formidable talent on the guitar or at the microphone: For 20 songs across three hours on Thursday, Gilmour played and sounded fantastic and fresh on tunes from the most familiar – Pink Floyd’s “Money” or “Comfortably Numb,” for instance – to strong complementary pieces from the new album.

The night opened with a gentle new instrumental, “5 A.M.” to set the mood, Gilmour’s lyrical guitar soaring the swelling synths and crashing cymbals and other fine accents offered up by his sharp nine-piece backing band. “Rattle That Lock,” the title track of the new record and the name of the tour followed, but it’s still clearly Pink Floyd that draws fans to venues of this size, so when the first of those songs arrived the cheers and applause were instant and strong.

That song, “Wish You Were Here,” opened with an acoustic guitar melody by guitarist Phil Manzanera, a veteran of Roxy Music, before Gilmour joined with the song’s second acoustic guitar line and the vocals.

And in hearing it here you’re reminded that no matter how well you know and love a song, to see it and hear it live brings even more joy. Yes, Gilmour reproduced this one and others such as the floating jewel that “Us and Them” as perfectly on stage as you remember them on your old Pink Floyd albums. But once the soloing you remember – say on “Money” – ended, Gilmour often took flight into unexpected realms of sound, his clear, sustained tones always familiar, their direction and destination less so.

The show is also a visual feast as one would expect from a band that might have inspired every planetarium in the land to launch a laser show in the ’70s, and these two Bowl shows had more than the rest of the tour will thanks to lighting designer Marc Brickman and the 30-some projectors he scattered around the venue to beam visuals not only on the huge round screen hung over the players but on all the surfaces of the white band shell as well.

During “Money,” cascades of coins slid down the wide half-circle framing face of the stage. During “Astronomy Domine,” the earlier Pink Floyd song in the set, swirls of light done up like a light show from a hippie hangout in the ’60s slipped over the Bowl walls before a mind-melting burst of intensely vivid red and green lights blasted your retinas and blew your mind. (Surely that wasn’t just me feeling it? Quick look around. Definitely not just me.)

Highlights of the second set in the show included “Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V),” Gilmour’s tribute with Pink Floyd to their damaged original band mate Syd Barrett, a beautifully played and sung suite of songs that were performed as a video showed an actor playing out Barrett’s acid-drenched journey through the looking glass.

David Crosby, who’s provided backing vocals on Gilmour’s last few solo records, showed up on stage three times during the night to do the same, including “On An Island,” another late-in-the-show high point.

The final run of songs in the main set went back into full Floydian mode: Pastoral and sweet on “Fat Old Sun” from 1970’s “Animal Heart Mother,” then burning brightly with long guitar solos on “Sorrow,” before wrapping up with “Run Like Hell” from “The Wall,” which built from its opening echo of a beat to a wall of chiming guitars and finale of fireworks synchronized to the music shooting high over the Bowl.

The encore delivered the final two must-hear-must-play Pink Floyd hits, “Time,” from “Dark Side of the Moon,” fans cheering as soon as they heard the ticking of clocks that kicks off the tune, and “Comfortably Numb,” with Crosby back out to sing the parts originally done by Floyd’s Roger Waters, and Gilmour flying higher perhaps than he had all night on solos that are legendary in their recorded versions, and much more so done live and longer on stage.

Then, walking back down the hill to the car, quite happy and comfortably numb, thinking, “Don’t be gone so long next time, Mr. Gilmour.”

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 25, 2016 22:41

Nice review, very much what I felt when I saw him in Europe last year.

Unfortunately the recording is really spoilt by the chatter around the taper, what a shame, must have been beyond annoying to be sitting where he was. People just get drunk I suppose and don't realize they're bothering everyone. At The Arcs show last year I had to ask the three guys standing in front of me if they could stop talking (about their upcoming week-end!) so we could enjoy the show...they seemed amazed by my request!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 25, 2016 23:46

A friend of mine said he was surrounded by a group of chattering Brazilians last night...
Even when he politely asked them to have respect and keep quiet, they didn't understand a word he said and continued to chitter chatter away. grinning smiley

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: March 26, 2016 07:31

tatters
5 A.M.
Rattle That Lock
Faces of Stone
Wish You Were Here
A Boat Lies Waiting
The Blue
Money
Us and Them
In Any Tongue
High Hopes

Astronomy Domine
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
Fat Old Sun
Coming Back to Life
On an Island
The Girl in the Yellow Dress
Today
Sorrow
Run Like Hell

Time
Breathe (Reprise)
Comfortably Numb

while i am psyched to go to the show that setlist is a total letdown compared to the 06 show.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 26, 2016 07:42

footlooseman
while i am psyched to go to the show that setlist is a total letdown compared to the 06 show.

Is it? Total letdown seems like an overreaction. I admit there are things I liked way more about the 06 setlist. LOVED Echoes and Wots... Uh The Deal? were excellent cuts there, and Breathe to open the 06 shows were great. However, he's playing Money and Us And Them this tour, which in itself are really cool, as well as Run Like Hell which is great. There's really no denying Echoes' brilliance, but really I think the trade offs are pretty fair.

Also, I don't think anyone can deny the pacing is better at these shows. The 06 shows were all about that second set, after having to hear the new album in its entirety. I much prefer this set where everything is more spread out and it ebbs and flows, as opposed to being in a kind of constant lull in the first half and a constant peak in the second. I'd rather a few new songs then Money, then some more than Wish You Were Here. Keeps me interested and I'd actually give the new songs more of a chance that way.

Posted by: ThinAir ()
Date: March 26, 2016 07:44

footlooseman

given that David Crosby was there this setlist makes sense. i don't think it will look the same without him.

Date: March 27, 2016 03:12

One song changed in setlist last night - What Do You Want from Me replaced The Blue:

5 A.M.
Rattle That Lock
Faces of Stone
Wish You Were Here
What Do You Want from Me
A Boat Lies Waiting
The Blue
Money
Us and Them
In Any Tongue
High Hopes
Set 2:
Astronomy Domine
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
Fat Old Sun
Coming Back to Life
The Girl in the Yellow Dress
Today
Sorrow
Run Like Hell

Encore:
Time
Breathe (Reprise)
Comfortably Numb

Been daydreaming all day hearing searing guitar solo's floating in my head. The intense tone and wobbly whammy bar effect of melting riffs and notes are a breathing thing that is completely unique. Even when there's a minor screw up - that's part of the charm and genius of it all. He's human after all, and any imperfections are part of his signature style in the same way as someone like Neil Young has his ramshackle style. At one point Gilmour was alone center stage coaxing and taming some wild feedback - I had visions of Hendrix playing at the Bowl way back when.

I thought last night was a better for variety of reasons - it was truly a stunning show. Part of the benefits of seeing a show multiple times is that expectations aren't as uncertain as they were first night, and first impression quibbles, rants, and raves in general are temporarily put aside. I was able to sit back and enjoy the show as a whole, and felt blessed to be able to see one of my all time favorite guitar players live again! It seemed Gilmour was more relaxed in the Bowl setting, and any first night jitters (however minor they might have been), were nowhere to be seen. My vantage point about half way back center had a great perspective and the sound was good. Watching a sea of people in unison taking in the show with the atmospheric haze floating above and all around was a sight to behold. One highlight among many was the piercing solo on In Any Tongue which was epic, and while I think this new tune itself is a bit bombastic and melodramatic, it works great in a live setting in a theatrical kind of way. I've always been a bit indifferent towards the post-Roger Floyd era, but will say there's a certain charm to it, and perhaps it's best to appreciate on it's own terms for what it is rather than critique for what it isn't, and I'll leave it at that. All in all, I was overcome by a peaceful vibe throughout the show, and I kept thinking to myself how historical these performances are in the big scheme of things. Once again, I felt completely lucky and grateful to witness these shows, and they will always be remembered fondly. Looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow at the Forum. thumbs up

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 27, 2016 04:22

Excellent, Hairball. Thanks for your impressions.

Date: March 27, 2016 06:13

Thanks winter. thumbs up

edit: posted some cool video links here last night, but they've already been removed dang it!!!

Oh well, on with the show... smoking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-27 20:32 by Hairball.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 2, 2016 16:13

Looks like the setlist has remained exactly the same since the second night at the Hollywood Bowl, where he dropped the title track (and best song) from On an Island, and replaced it with The Division Bell's dreary "What Do You Want From Me."

Thanks for the reviews, Hairball. Anyone else seen any of the shows?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-02 16:16 by tatters.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 2, 2016 22:42

Thanks Hairball for taking the time to reflect on the Hollywood bowl show. You
Had some great insights. I'm looking forward to the Chicago Auditorium show but
the setting of the Hollwood Bowl show would have been pretty spectacular.

Posted by: zgredzik ()
Date: April 2, 2016 22:51

I will go on Wroclaw (Europe) concert. He - as promoters said - will release this show on DVD/CD and hell know what else, as part of "Rattle That Lock Tour".
He is in a pretty good shape, play very good and sing very well. His tour is selling-out fast, so maybe he will come back to touring someday, after the tour will end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-02 22:52 by zgredzik.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 4, 2016 04:16

Seeing David at MSG on April 11, 9th row. Love the setlist

Date: April 8, 2016 15:41

I just got back home in Michigan after seeing Wednesday night's show at Chicago's cavernous and very Romanesque-looking Auditorium Theatre. While it may be the smallest of the seven venues Dave's playing in North America, its massive architecture makes it appear larger than its 3800-seat capacity would seem to indicate. It must have made the perfect setting to see Pink Floyd in their pre-Dark Side of the Moon days, and indeed they did play there twice; once on October 27, 1971, doing a show very similar to what can be seen in the Live At Pompeii film; and again on April 28, 1972, when they played the entire Dark Side of the Moon album, even though recording sessions for the album didn't begin until June of that year, and the album wouldn't be released until the following March.

I don't really have much to add to the reviews already posted above, except to say that in an era when there are some Pink Floyd tribute bands that can fill venues this size, it was kind of amazing to see the real thing in a place like this. In all of my 40 years of concert-going experience, there has really been nothing better than being able to just sit back and listen to David Gilmour play one of his incredible guitar solos. He has the ability to take what is essentially a mediocre song, "Fat Old Sun," for example (which he actually played here during Pink Floyd's 1971 concert at this very same theatre), and elevate it to something else entirely, to something where it would be the highlight of almost anyone else's concert, and he did this time and time again, all night long (a good thing, too, because there are a lot of mediocre songs on that new album of his in need of elevating). I shouldn't have to tell you that the light show was out of this world. Elegant in its simplicity, spectacular in its sheer firepower and intensity.

I realize most people who want to see this tour won't be able to. My wife and I had to drive four hours in the pouring rain to get to this show. If you add up the cost of the scalper's tickets, the overnight hotel stay, and miscellaneous travel expenses, it probably cost us roughly $1,000 to attend this concert. It was worth every penny. If there's any way you can make it to the United Center in Chicago tonight, or get to one of the three shows in New York next week, or travel to Europe this summer, you should. Roger, who's 72, may or may not get it together for one final album and tour. If he doesn't, Dave's current run of shows will be the last vapor trails of Pink Floyd, the last chance to experience the real thing before the tribute bands take over for good, and all we have left of the original group are our memories.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-08 22:32 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 8, 2016 17:25

Thanks for the review tatters! I was in Detroit last night seeing Iggy, and will be driving to Chicago today to see Dave at the United Center. I have great seats too, 11th row center. So I am looking forward to this! Glad you enjoyed it!

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: April 8, 2016 17:26

flying into New York tomorrow from London, mostly for the MSG show on Monday!!!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 8, 2016 21:25

Went Monday and loved it, even the new stuff! Loved it so much I bought a ticket for Wednesday night when they dropped some that afternoon. My only gripe is that everyone sits during the entire show. I guess the main floor stood at UC and they got up for Run Like Hell and the encore on Wed, but mostly sitters. For tonight I bought a side stage upper deck on purpose so I can just move over behind the stage and boogie down. 2 down 1 to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-08 21:26 by mnewman505.

Date: April 9, 2016 18:07

All I can say is WOW! I saw Dave last night in Chicago. 11th Row, and it was an amazing show. As was well stated by Tatters, the man is such an emotive and incredible guitarist. He has lost nothing! His tone, runs, and intricate flourishes made this a celebration of the guitar. And also I was stunned by how good his voice is! Amazing! Some real nuggets in the set list and the sound was impeccable! This is definitely a show worth seeing, and unlike Roger, no evidence of any taped vocals at all! Crack band too!

Date: April 9, 2016 19:15

whitem8
All I can say is WOW! I saw Dave last night in Chicago. 11th Row, and it was an amazing show. As was well stated by Tatters, the man is such an emotive and incredible guitarist. He has lost nothing! His tone, runs, and intricate flourishes made this a celebration of the guitar. And also I was stunned by how good his voice is! Amazing! Some real nuggets in the set list and the sound was impeccable! This is definitely a show worth seeing, and unlike Roger, no evidence of any taped vocals at all! Crack band too!

A couple of those guys, Guy Pratt on bass and John Carin on keyboards, have been with him almost 30 years, ever since Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder tour in the late 1980s. The one who really blew me away was the new sax player, Joao Mello. He sounded exactly like Dick Parry, the guy who played on Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. And, of course, second guitarist Phil Manzanera, a former member of Roxy Music, is a major artist in his own right.

Dave's vocals were real strong. I had some concerns about that 'cause I think there is a difference in his voice, if you compare the new album alongside the one from 10 years ago, On an Island. If there's been any real deterioration, though, I certainly didn't notice it while hearing him sing live.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-10 00:42 by tatters.

Date: April 9, 2016 19:38

I thought his voice was superb. A few crackles here and there, but man he carried it! I can't recall the song, but he starts solo at the mike singing an intro. It was sublime. Just him with a very cool white smoky spotlight on him. Amazing!

Date: April 11, 2016 22:19

whitem8
Thanks for the review tatters! I was in Detroit last night seeing Iggy, and will be driving to Chicago today to see Dave at the United Center. I have great seats too, 11th row center. So I am looking forward to this! Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm going tonight as well. Section C row 9. Yeah !!!

Date: April 12, 2016 15:57

Was at the show last night. I flew 3500 miles to be there and it was amazing. So glad I went, and now I have finally been to a show at Madison square gardens! Can't fault David or the show in any way. The only let down was the people around me who spent half the night smoking weed, going to get more beer (I had an isle seat) and chatting. One guy got chucked out which was pretty funny!

Date: April 12, 2016 16:02

Yeah I couldn't believe how many people around me were on their phones! And looking at facebook and pictures. Those were expensive seats too! Amazingly idiotic.

Date: April 12, 2016 16:08

Out of curiosity is there more of a culture of smoking dope at concerts in the US? This is the first gig I've been to in America, in the UK except for occasionally smelling it at outdoor shows its not something I've really experienced before. I was just wondering as a friend had similar comments when he came over last summer.

Date: April 12, 2016 18:24

mr_c_ox
Out of curiosity is there more of a culture of smoking dope at concerts in the US? This is the first gig I've been to in America, in the UK except for occasionally smelling it at outdoor shows its not something I've really experienced before. I was just wondering as a friend had similar comments when he came over last summer.

Seeing as it's nearly legal just about everywhere in the US, the smell of weed can be found just about anywhere at any time.
I don't know the exact laws of every state, but it's not as frowned upon as it once was (especially Oregon and Colorado).

But yes - even before the current status of weed, the smoke permeated concert halls throughout the land (depending on what type of concert you were at of course).

Date: April 12, 2016 21:25

Thanks!

Date: April 12, 2016 23:10

I saw him twice in Toronto on this tour, once from the soundboard and second night from second row in front of DG. OMG.

There is nothing to hide and nothing to prove at this point. He sounded as strong as the Division Bell tour in 94 when I saw him last.

There was a great mix of new songs, Floyd classics and several off of Division Bell. If you are a PF fan this is the tour to see if you can get a ticket.

I bought mine last July...

Go!

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: April 13, 2016 00:11

Gilmour at MSG last night was F A N T A S T I C

Typically I don't take photos or videos at concerts but I was blown away at the light show behind Run Like Hell.

I took a short vid which you can see here.

[www.dropbox.com]

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: April 13, 2016 00:57

I went to both Toronto shows and was blown away. Virtuoso playing by the whole band and an excellent set list and great light show.

Only disappointment- the exact same set list both nights- don't complain about the Stones not mixing it up!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home