Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
OT: David Gilmour new album and tour
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 16, 2015 15:26

Mar 24: Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl

Mar 31: Toronto ACC

Apr 06: Chicago United Center

Apr 11: New York Madison Square Garden

[davidgilmour.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-27 16:59 by bv.

Re: OT: David Gilmour Announces US "Tour"
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 16, 2015 15:27

Wish he wasn't so damn lazy. How many "Wall" shows did Roger do? Something like two hundred and fifty?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 15:30 by tatters.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 16, 2015 15:32

Date: July 16, 2015 15:36

[www.brain-damage.co.uk]

Wonder what the "very important message" is... hopefully not these 4 dates tatters posted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 15:45 by Milan.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 16, 2015 16:49

Can't see what else it would be since the news of the single and album have ve already dropped. Can't wait to see him in September at the antique theater!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 16, 2015 17:13

Big announcement is "Floyd won't reform, you'll have to put up with my solo stuff" grinning smiley

Posted by: plqmule ()
Date: July 16, 2015 17:22

[davidgilmour.com]

The New Album 'Rattle That Lock' Released on Sept 18
North American Dates Announced for 2016

David's new album Rattle That Lock will be released worldwide on Friday, September 18, 2015 on Columbia Records. The first single, also titled 'Rattle That Lock', will be released digitally tomorrow, Friday, July 17th, 2015.

Additionally, David's 2016 North American dates have been confirmed for March and April, with stops in Los Angeles, Toronto, Chicago and New York. Ticket buyers will be among the first to receive the new album, as every ticket purchased online will include a Rattle That Lock CD*.

Tickets for the North American concert dates, David's first since the On An Island tour in 2006, go on sale tomorrow, Friday, July 17th, with individual venue times listed below.

March 24, 2016 – Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles – on sale 12pm (PST).

March 31, 2016 – Air Canada Centre, Toronto – on sale 10am (EST).

April 8, 2016 – United Center, Chicago – on sale 12pm (CST).

April 11, 2016 – Madison Square Garden, New York – on sale 10am (EST).

Tickets will also be available at Ticketmaster.com, at all Ticketmaster outlets, or by phone. See the Live Dates page for all details.

Rattle That Lock follows the 2006 #1 platinum album On An Island, and once again features novelist Polly Samson as primary lyricist, as well as Phil Manzanera, who co-produced the album with David. The striking cover was art directed by Dave Stansbie from The Creative Corporation under the creative directorship of Aubrey Powell from Hipgnosis.

The tracklisting is:
1. 5 A.M. (Gilmour)
2. Rattle That Lock (Gilmour/Samson/Boumendil)
3. Faces Of Stone (Gilmour)
4. A Boat Lies Waiting (Gilmour/Samson)
5. Dancing Right In Front Of Me (Gilmour)
6. In Any Tongue (Gilmour/Samson)
7. Beauty (Gilmour)
8. The Girl In The Yellow Dress (Gilmour/Samson)
9. Today (Gilmour/Samson)
10. And Then... (Gilmour)

The title track, 'Rattle That Lock', will be heard for the first time in the UK on BBC Radio 2's Chris Evans Show, hosted by Sara Cox, on Friday, July 17th and will be available immediately to download and stream worldwide. The song begins with the four notes, created by Michaël Boumendil, which precede announcements at French SNCF railway stations which David recorded on his phone at Aix-en-Provence station. Polly's lyrics were inspired by Book II of John Milton's Paradise Lost, which is also featured in her recent acclaimed novel, The Kindness. The single also features The Liberty Choir, as well as singers Mica Paris and Louise Marshall.

The Rattle That Lock album will be available in a CD edition with clothbound, foil-blocked cover, including a 22-page booklet, but also on heavyweight vinyl, digital download and a deluxe box edition, which includes 4 Barn Jam films, 4 non-album audio tracks, 4 documentaries, and 2 promo clips. Available in CD+DVD or CD+Blu-ray versions, the deluxe edition also includes 2 hardback books, a double-sided poster, a postcard in a dedicated envelope and a David Gilmour plectrum.

Pre-ordering for all editions will be available around the world at various times tomorrow, July 17th.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 16, 2015 17:25

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 17:58 by bleedingman.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: July 16, 2015 18:17

He's now playing 10 NA dates, each show is doubled plus he added two Oakland dates.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 16, 2015 18:26

Thats cool and all, but $200 top price seats in an arena for Gilmour is VERY high. I guess Waters kind of charges that much too, but its all Floyd and its a whole show so while I don't agree with it I can at least understand why its priced so high. I'd love to see Gilmour so I may spring for the cheaper tickets (still $100) but that price seems mighty high. And, not to compare him to Waters' mammoth Wall tour, but Gilmour essentially does nothing all the time. He can do whatever he wants, cause I'm sure he's fine doing nothing at this point in his life, but would it kill him to play more than 4/8 shows? He could at least do 20 one nighters.

Date: July 16, 2015 19:10

"I guess Waters kind of charges that much too"

- I dunno, I paid 50 euros for the FOS ticket in 2013 (5500 dinars = approx. 50 euros).

Edited to add: But then again, that's Serbia; FOS ticket for the Rolling Stones gig in 2007 was 52 euros.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-16 19:41 by Milan.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 16, 2015 20:31

I have tix for the French gig and I can't go...Very dissapointed

Date: July 16, 2015 23:20

Milan

- I dunno, I paid 50 euros for the FOS ticket in 2013 (5500 dinars = approx. 50 euros).
Yeah, I guess he's cheaper elsewhere. I said kind of because admittedly I paid $175 in 2006 or 7 to see Roger do Dark Side Of The Moon (Stones was 2 weeks later and I paid $150) and then $120 when I saw him do The Wall. So I'm not proud but as a young fan I thought they were as close to Floyd as I could get.

Date: July 16, 2015 23:40

RollingFreak
Milan

Yeah, I guess he's cheaper elsewhere. I said kind of because admittedly I paid $175 in 2006 or 7 to see Roger do Dark Side Of The Moon (Stones was 2 weeks later and I paid $150) and then $120 when I saw him do The Wall. So I'm not proud but as a young fan I thought they were as close to Floyd as I could get.

I bought a pair of tickets around 8 months ahead of time to see the Wall in 2012 in Pittsburgh. They were very decent lower bowl seats for only $235. Would have spent way more than that for the stones. If I have the money, I usually just suck it up and buy the tickets because to me it is a more satisfying experience than spending it on other material items.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 17, 2015 06:36

David Gilmour Details New Solo LP 'Rattle That Lock'
Pink Floyd guitarist will embark on brief North American tour in 2016
By Daniel Kreps July 16, 2015

>David Gilmour

After briefly reviving and then saying goodbye to Pink Floyd in 2014, David Gilmour will return this September with Rattle That Lock, a new album and the guitarist's first solo studio LP since 2006's On an Island. "Rattle That Lock," the album's title track and first single, will be unveiled July 17th, at which time the LP will become available for preorder at David Gilmour's official site. The album arrives September 18th.

The 10-track LP features lyrics largely penned by Gilmour's wife, novelist Polly Samson, as well as contributions from Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera, who co-produced Rattle That Lock with Gilmour. According to Gilmour's official site, the album's first single "Rattle That Lock" "begins with the four notes, created by [sound designer] Michaël Boumendil, which precede announcements at French SNCF railway stations which David recorded on his phone at Aix-en-Provence station. Polly's lyrics were inspired by Book II of John Milton's Paradise Lost."

The Rattle That Lock cover was created by The Creative Corporation's Dave Stansbie under the creative directorship of Aubrey Powell from Hipgnosis, the company that designed many of Pink Floyd's most iconic album covers.
David Gilmour

Rattle That Lock will be available in a variety of different formats, from digital download and heavyweight vinyl to a deluxe box edition featuring four Barn Jam films, four non-album audio tracks, four documentaries and two promo clips. The deluxe edition, which will be available as both a CD/DVD and CD/Blu-ray, will also house "two hardback books, a double-sided poster, a postcard in a dedicated envelope and a David Gilmour plectrum," the official Gilmour site writes.

Last October, Gilmour told Rolling Stone that, following the release of Rattle That Lock, he hoped to embark on "an old man's tour, not a 200-date sort of thing." The guitarist stuck to his word, announcing four North American shows in 2016: March 24th at Los Angeles' Hollywood Bowl, March 31st at Toronto's Air Canada Center, April 8th at Chicago's United Center and April 11th at New York's Madison Square Garden. Tickets for all four shows go on sales July 17th at Ticketmaster; ticket buyers will also receive a CD copy of Rattle That Lock.

Rattle That Lock marks Gilmour's fourth solo album, following his self-titled 1978 debut, 1984's About Face and On an Island. In 2014, Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason revisited music they recorded with keyboardist Rick Wright during Pink Floyd's The Division Bell sessions to create the band's farewell LP The Endless River.

"I think we have successfully commandeered the best of what there is [and] I suspect that it is," Gilmour said of Pink Floyd. "It's a shame, but this is the end."

Rattle That Lock Track List

1. "5 A.M."
2. "Rattle That Lock"
3. "Faces Of Stone"
4. "A Boat Lies Waiting"
5. "Dancing Right In Front Of Me"
6. "In Any Tongue"
7. "Beauty (Gilmour)
8. "The Girl In The Yellow Dress"
9. "Today"
10. "And Then..."

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 06:58

Floyd was a band that I never had any use for other than The Wall, but lately, I've been listening to them a bit more. And I might actually have a greater appreciation and even possibly an understanding of them than I've ever been able to realize before. I would love to see them reform, but with 2 now gone, I highly doubt it. I might consider this. Not sure. NYC doesn't seem to be too expensive.

Date: July 17, 2015 07:55

VoodooLounge13
Floyd was a band that I never had any use for other than The Wall, but lately, I've been listening to them a bit more. And I might actually have a greater appreciation and even possibly an understanding of them than I've ever been able to realize before. I would love to see them reform, but with 2 now gone, I highly doubt it. I might consider this. Not sure. NYC doesn't seem to be too expensive.

Not a complete Pink Floyd fanatic, but...
I was 10 yrs. old when Dark Side came out, and Money was played constantly on the radio. Add the fact that my older brother bought the album, and we listened to it endlessly with all the weird state of the art sound effects of the time that it had.Wish You Were Here and Animals kind of went under the radar for me when they were released, but quickly realized their greatness soon enough.At this point started digging through all the Syd Barret era stuff, and learned about their early history - indeed some great stuff! I was in High School when The Wall came out, and it resonated with me in many ways. Thanks again to my older brother, I was able to attend two of The Wall shows at the L.A. Sports Arena 1980 and still to this day can say they were some the best concerts I've ever seen.

Hated the two Pink Floyd albums released without Roger Waters, and also the last album released under the name Pink Floyd - heard it once or twice, and knew it was a complete scam.
Also find some of the Waters solo material difficult to fully enjoy - some interesting stuff, but sometimes a bit esoteric and strange...

I've seen David Gilmour solo in 2005, as well as Roger Waters solo In the Flesh, Dark side, and his recent Wall shows. While the Waters shows were splendid with all the special effects, etc., musically they were seriously lacking the rest of Pink Floyd. It was all note for note and expertly played, but seemed to lack a bit of the Pink Floyd soul imo. The same goes for the Gilmour solo shows which were great for what they were. Aside from playing the entire On An Island album which was nice, the Floyd songs he played seemed to also be missing something - mainly Roger Waters who wrote a majority of the Post Syd era songs.
(*But Echoes with Rick Wright was indeed mesmerizing).

With all that said, looking forward to seeing Gilmour again at the Hollywood Bowl. thumbs up

EDIT:

jamesfdouglas
He's now playing 10 NA dates, each show is doubled plus he added two Oakland dates.

Where is the info. on this?
Is it rumoured? Or officially confirmed?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 09:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 17, 2015 09:41

I am going to try and get tickets for the Madison square Gardens show having failed to get tickets for any of the 10 European ones. I respect the fact that David Gilmour doesn't want to do long tours but I sort of wish he would tour more in the way Genesis did on their last outing. As in play 20 shows but in venues that suit the popularity of the artist, just saying he should have booked out Stadiums not theatres..... A friend of mine works for a big European promotors and they had meetings about a potential stadium run but David wanted to play smaller and more intimate venues. As much as I respect his decision it's frustrating as a fan not being able to get in.

On a side note anyone who couldn't get tickets for London should note that he is appearing at the I'm with the banned" show at the Koko in Camden in October.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 15:25

It's obvious Gilmour is burned out and doesn't have much use for touring anymore.

Some people just have their fill of the lifestyle and do a bare minimum to stay in the public eye after a certain age...plus I'm sure his endless battles with Roger Waters over the years and the death of Richard Wright don't help matters.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 17, 2015 16:24

leteyer
I have tix for the French gig and I can't go...Very dissapointed

Wow too bad, that should be a great concert in the best possible setting! Still some time to work things out maybe?

The full version of RTL is here : [www.youtube.com]

A bit "relentless" but a grower and great "Hammond" with some tasteful guitar lines throughout.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 16:28 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:48

This is the most boring announcement of the year, imho.

Date: July 17, 2015 21:05

They were definitely a band that worked best together. Personally I'm not a fan of the Syd Barrett stuff, so to me, Pink Floyd IS Roger, David, Rick and Nick. Dark Side is their obvious peak and album where they clearly most gelled. Everytime I hear it I think it couldn't sound more naturally Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here is my personal favorite of theirs, and I also LOVE Animals, Meddle, and Atom Heart Mother, but I hear Dark Side and it couldn't be more of a masterpiece. I equate it to Psycho being the best Hitchcock movie. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, and I feel cliched saying Psycho is my favorite but to me, like Dark Side, its just the project where everything clicked personally.

After Animals, the band splinters out for me. It becomes the Roger Waters show, which as much as he wrote the material before that, it wasn't. I have gained newfound appreciation for The Wall, but for years I hated it and I still consider it a Waters album as opposed to a Floyd one. Same with The Final Cut, which actually I've always loved, but its Roger and not Floyd.

Solo, both leave me unimpressed. Roger's albums are fine, Floyd without Roger was amazingly boring to me, and Gilmour's latest solo album (which I listened to yesterday after the tour announcement) was as "OK" as I remember. Its sad, because Gilmour's Island album is literally THE Pink Floyd guitar sound. Like, thats it! But everything surrounding it is so mediocre. It doesn't have the Floyd feel and it doesn't have the Floyd lyrics. Like Lennon and McCartney and so many others, Roger and David were at their BEST when it was both of them. Separately, they lose something and the music suffers because of it. Roger is too talky and political and musicless, while Gilmour is filled with great guitar licks and nothing to add them to.

Floyd can't reunite. Thats over and I'm happy we got Live 8 for that reason. They were great and they needed a last chapter. But since the breakup its been sad for a Floyd fan IMO. Waters tours Floyd stuff, which is as close as you can get even though its not, but we never get anything new of substance from him. Gilmour is more of the same, in that he also hardly releases music, and on top of it he doesn't even tour. His new single did nothing for me. I don't really know what my point was. More that I'm sad at how things turned out cause I feel we missed a lot of great stuff, and more importantly their little output was hampered by being separate. I'd like to see Gilmour cause I never have, but being such a great guitarist and the fact that he isn't Roger (meaning that Roger can kind of get away touring Floyd and the others can't) has made me sad there's so little other than Floyd where he shines.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: July 17, 2015 21:16

I'm a fan, but certainly not hardcore at all, so I chose option C, seeing Brit Floyd next month.

Date: July 17, 2015 21:44

StonesCat
I'm a fan, but certainly not hardcore at all, so I chose option C, seeing Brit Floyd next month.

Haha good lord, don't know if that is the best option - personally I've never been a fan of tribute bands.
Saw a couple Stones tribute bands throughout the years, and while fun when really drunk, it was all kind of silly.
Don't know if a Pink Floyd tribute band could be fun or silly, but I've heard that they are a worthy tribute band if that's what you're in to. thumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 17, 2015 21:53

Brit Floyd has better singers and guitar players than the original.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 17, 2015 22:18

I dont like the new single. It s not bad at all but at the same time it is not a beautiful one or good as some On an islands songs. Dave has not got his voice as some years ago

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 17, 2015 22:32

It's to be expected that Gilmour's voice is not what it was. I'd still love to see him in concert...especially the gig at MSG, my hometown.

Date: July 17, 2015 22:35

HMS
Brit Floyd has better singers and guitar players than the original.

Lol - maybe they should have formed their own original band then.
Maybe they can't write music?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 17, 2015 22:52

RollingFreak
They were definitely a band that worked best together. Personally I'm not a fan of the Syd Barrett stuff, so to me, Pink Floyd IS Roger, David, Rick and Nick. Dark Side is their obvious peak and album where they clearly most gelled. Everytime I hear it I think it couldn't sound more naturally Pink Floyd. Wish You Were Here is my personal favorite of theirs, and I also LOVE Animals, Meddle, and Atom Heart Mother, but I hear Dark Side and it couldn't be more of a masterpiece. I equate it to Psycho being the best Hitchcock movie. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, and I feel cliched saying Psycho is my favorite but to me, like Dark Side, its just the project where everything clicked personally.

After Animals, the band splinters out for me. It becomes the Roger Waters show, which as much as he wrote the material before that, it wasn't. I have gained newfound appreciation for The Wall, but for years I hated it and I still consider it a Waters album as opposed to a Floyd one. Same with The Final Cut, which actually I've always loved, but its Roger and not Floyd.

Solo, both leave me unimpressed. Roger's albums are fine, Floyd without Roger was amazingly boring to me, and Gilmour's latest solo album (which I listened to yesterday after the tour announcement) was as "OK" as I remember. Its sad, because Gilmour's Island album is literally THE Pink Floyd guitar sound. Like, thats it! But everything surrounding it is so mediocre. It doesn't have the Floyd feel and it doesn't have the Floyd lyrics. Like Lennon and McCartney and so many others, Roger and David were at their BEST when it was both of them. Separately, they lose something and the music suffers because of it. Roger is too talky and political and musicless, while Gilmour is filled with great guitar licks and nothing to add them to.

Floyd can't reunite. Thats over and I'm happy we got Live 8 for that reason. They were great and they needed a last chapter. But since the breakup its been sad for a Floyd fan IMO. Waters tours Floyd stuff, which is as close as you can get even though its not, but we never get anything new of substance from him. Gilmour is more of the same, in that he also hardly releases music, and on top of it he doesn't even tour. His new single did nothing for me. I don't really know what my point was. More that I'm sad at how things turned out cause I feel we missed a lot of great stuff, and more importantly their little output was hampered by being separate. I'd like to see Gilmour cause I never have, but being such a great guitarist and the fact that he isn't Roger (meaning that Roger can kind of get away touring Floyd and the others can't) has made me sad there's so little other than Floyd where he shines.

Good post Freak. After Meddle, DSOTM, Animals and Wish You Were Here Pink Floyd can do no wrong in my eyes. Just like the Stones, their best period was so damn good and gave me such listening pleasure that they are golden.

I haven't had near as much enjoyment from their later releases but after seeing both The Wall with Roger Waters and Pink Floyd without Roger Waters I'm convinced that they can both put on superb live shows and entertain me with 100% satisfaction. Like the Stones, both acts draw heavily from the golden years of course, but they give the audiences what they want.

I'm sure David Gilmour will continue to do the same, he knows how to put on a great show, is a great musician, has a new record out and regardless of if his new music moves you, I'm betting his performance of it will be great and he will play enough Floyd music to delight the old fans.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 18, 2015 00:00

I have a ticket for his London show later on this year....

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home