Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Anyone Seen The New Amy Winehouse Documentary?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 12, 2015 05:27

Oh, my goodness, this is a well done but very sad movie. I was wiping away tears the entire second hour, and I wouldn't in any way call myself a fan. Not at all sure I agree with Tony Bennett's assessment that she "should be treated like Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday." Good movie, though. Highly recommended.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 05:29 by tatters.

Re: OT: Anyone Seen The New Amy Winehouse Documentary?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 12, 2015 05:41

Have read many reviews. All say it's great, but how depressed am I willing to be?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 12, 2015 05:49

I'm with you, dmay. Everyone says it's brilliant, but I don't need to sit and cry for two hours in a theater. I'll wait till it comes to cable and cry in the comfort of my own home. I'm not a huge fan either, Tatters, but she was certainly a huge talent.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 12, 2015 07:17

I was a huge fan, became one only after her death when I actually listened to her music.
She was special and I agree Bennett's assertion. Why not?
Her music, voice was like exorcism. That's what the greats have.
I haven't seen the doc, but will eventually. But I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it.
I've been thinking of her since I've been listening to all the Burt Bacharach songs. My dream scenario:
An Evening with Burt Bacharach, with special guest.. Amy Winehouse...
Amy would have killed Walk On By and Anyone Who Had a Heart

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: July 12, 2015 10:30

Ella Fitzgerald? Billie Holiday? Erm..... Nooooo, not in a million years!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 13, 2015 14:20

She had an absolutely fabulous voice. Very sad story and painful to watch. Her Father says he's going to sue and that much was omitted and edited to make him look bad.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 13, 2015 14:31

"she should be treated like Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday."

Absolutely! and my rank looks like:

1/ Billie Holiday

2/ Amy Winehouse
3/ Ella Fitzgerald

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 13, 2015 20:39

Come On
"she should be treated like Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday."

Absolutely! and my rank looks like:

1/ Billie Holiday

2/ Amy Winehouse
3/ Ella Fitzgerald

smileys with beer

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 13, 2015 21:25

where can you view it ?

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 13, 2015 21:40

it's in theatres now... google 'amy'.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 13, 2015 21:54

I saw it yesterday. During the disintegration second half I thought they'd show her blowing it with the Stones at the ISLE OF WIGHT during Ain't Too Proud to Beg and was disappointed they didn't. Maybe they couldn't get/afford the rights, or thought it was enough having the more famous clip of her blowing it worse in Serbia, and other clips. I was impressed by her wit and ability to speak in other accents. Her fate was sealed I felt when she managed to sober up for the Grammy Awards but told a friend, "It's so boring without drugs." The graveyard wasn't far off from there.

Date: July 14, 2015 00:15

tatters
Oh, my goodness, this is a well done but very sad movie. I was wiping away tears the entire second hour, and I wouldn't in any way call myself a fan. Not at all sure I agree with Tony Bennett's assessment that she "should be treated like Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday." Good movie, though. Highly recommended.

That's probably the reason I don't want to watch it confused smiley presumably no tears but I think I will get a bit emotional............

Posted by: DD ()
Date: July 14, 2015 01:30

Hello,

This may seem churlish, and also represent double-standards on a Stones fansite, but I find it very difficult to fully engage with singers in the modern age when they sing in an accent which is SO far removed from their own. To talk with one accent and then COMPLETELY switch into another when singing. Amy and Adele are two who exemplify this for me. Good music, very capable singers, but it just doesn't seem genuine, even though I'm sure, to them, it is.

Declan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2015 01:35

No but I've seen my babeeeeeeee ....

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2015 01:41

For me she sings as it comes............and I love it....................

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:06

...easily...Back to Black remains one of the best albums I've ever heard....not a single bad song in the lot...epic.

Posted by: bbeliko ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:46

DD
Hello,

This may seem churlish, and also represent double-standards on a Stones fansite, but I find it very difficult to fully engage with singers in the modern age when they sing in an accent which is SO far removed from their own. To talk with one accent and then COMPLETELY switch into another when singing. Amy and Adele are two who exemplify this for me. Good music, very capable singers, but it just doesn't seem genuine, even though I'm sure, to them, it is.

Declan

You're posting this on a fanpage for the guys that did Far Away Eyes and Sweet Virginia.

Date: July 14, 2015 03:15

bbeliko
DD
Hello,

Declan

You're posting this on a fanpage for the guys that did Far Away Eyes and Sweet Virginia.

Score.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 14, 2015 03:24

Amy was such a talent, and I really don't see the need for ranking singers who were clearly performing in different genres in different eras (I say that as a huge fan of both Billie and Ella, especially Ella). I haven't seen the doc yet--I'm like latebloomer, planning to blub at home when it becomes available.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 14, 2015 16:45

They tried to make her go to rehab, but she said ....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2015 20:33

Title5Take1
I saw it yesterday. During the disintegration second half I thought they'd show her blowing it with the Stones at the ISLE OF WIGHT during Ain't Too Proud to Beg and was disappointed they didn't. Maybe they couldn't get/afford the rights, or thought it was enough having the more famous clip of her blowing it worse in Serbia, and other clips. I was impressed by her wit and ability to speak in other accents. Her fate was sealed I felt when she managed to sober up for the Grammy Awards but told a friend, "It's so boring without drugs." The graveyard wasn't far off from there.

Is what you're talking about this one? Back To Black?
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 14, 2015 21:56

stupidguy2
bbeliko
DD
Hello,

Declan

Score.

Lol. I find almost all of Jaggers singing rather emulating an American accent. I always found it strange that so many popular British singers sound so American when performing...I guess if all the good music originally came from Britian the American singers would be adding the British accents to try to sound authentic.

Date: July 14, 2015 22:47

Naturalust
stupidguy2
bbeliko
DD
Hello,

Declan

Score.

Lol. I find almost all of Jaggers singing rather emulating an American accent. I always found it strange that so many popular British singers sound so American when performing...I guess if all the good music originally came from Britian the American singers would be adding the British accents to try to sound authentic.

ANd don't forget Mick's channeling of Barry White in concert...'Aright...Babay...' etc.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: July 14, 2015 23:16

It's a fantastic film. Ultimately it showcases her talent above all else. The men around her don't come out well, of course, her father and no-good, no-talent husband but her music is the star.

Date: July 14, 2015 23:52

When Amy Came to Dingle....this is my favorite. Right before Back to Black blew up, and before her demons got the best of her.
This is what singers dream of being..pure magic.

[v.youku.com]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 00:16

I was a huge fan - I'm not sure of any new artist in the past few years I enjoyed as much as her music. The movie was pretty sad - focuses mostly on all the bad stud, a few clips of her at her best would have made for a little better film.

Date: July 15, 2015 01:02

Lynd8
I was a huge fan - I'm not sure of any new artist in the past few years I enjoyed as much as her music. The movie was pretty sad - focuses mostly on all the bad stud, a few clips of her at her best would have made for a little better film.

A reason more I don't want to watch it ........are you kidding they didn't show any highlights..................

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home